Author's Chapter Notes:
Hope you liked the prologue. Here's the first chapter. Tell me if you want more.
Oh, don't own a thing!
Chapter One

It was the last of Xander’s pledge parties at Phi Kappa Omega, and Buffy really didn’t want to go. Since they started their freshman year at UCS four weeks earlier, there had been a party every Friday and Saturday. OK, there had been a party every day of the week, but Buffy had only been forced to attend the ones on the weekends. Maybe ‘forced’ was a too strong word? ‘No’ she thought. Sure, at first, she’d had fun, but after the fifth party, at least she thought it was the fifth, they were all the same, she got… bored.

The parties were all filled with, surprise, frat-guys and sorority girls. She just couldn’t feel comfortable around those people, they made her feel… inferior. Plus, they drank a lot, which wasn’t unusual for frat parties. Normally, she had no problem with people who drank, even if she didn’t. But the guys at the parties seemed to believe it was their life mission to get her to drink. That, she didn’t like. If it hadn’t been for Xander pledging, she would have never gone to these parties. She was just showing her support.

Buffy sighed as she looked herself over in the full body mirror on her closet door. She hadn’t felt like dressing up too much, instead she’d chosen a knee length jeans skirt and a simple, black top. She thought it looked OK. She wouldn’t catch any looks, but tonight, she didn’t mind. She grabbed a sweater and her purse and headed out the door. She hoped Willow would be there, she had left a message on her friends cell phone asking her to meet her there, but hadn’t heard back. Willow had spent the past couple of nights at Tara’s. Buffy always missed her when she stayed there. Sure, she wasn’t alone in the house, but it was different with just the guys around. Not that they were around that much either... Buffy pushed the thoughts away when she closed the front door to the house. They just lived there. Sure, they were friends, but that didn’t mean that they had to spend every waking moment together. She was just feeling lonely right now.

The walk to the Phi Kappa Omega house on campus only took about five minutes. Buffy entered the already full fraternity house and immediately looked around for her friends. When she couldn’t see them anywhere she went to the kitchen to get a drink. She found the fridge and grabbed a coke before she headed into the living room where the party seemed to be. She searched the room for a familiar face, but didn’t find any, so she decided to look in the other rooms. When she got to what she thought was a library, she spotted Spike sitting in a leather arm-chair, bottle of beer in hand. When their eyes met for a second, her heart skipped a beat, as always. He smiled at her, but the smile didn’t reach his eyes. ‘Now what happened’ she thought as she made her way through the room and sat down in the chair next to his.

”Hey, there Summers.” He took another sip of beer. “Whatcha doin’?”

“Nothing... just got here, was looking for you guys.” She looked him over. “You been here a while?” He nodded.

“Couple o’ hours, Xen... Xander’s upstairs.” Buffy frowned.

“You’re drunk.” He always had problem saying Xander’s name when he was drunk.

“What of it?” He met her evaluating gaze. “’s perfectly legal... OK, maybe not exactly legal, but... oh, just let me be.” He turned his attention back to the beer.

“Did something happen?” Buffy didn’t give up. “And where’s Dru, doesn’t she usually keep you away from this stuff?” She knew the instant she saw his look that that had been the wrong thing to say.

“She left, din’t she?” He drank down the rest of his beer and dropped the bottle to the floor.

“She left? You mean left left?” Spike gave her a weird look.

“No, she left to take a walk, that’s why I’m here drinking my sorrows away.”

“Sorry, I didn’t mean it like that... how much have you had to drink anyway?” Buffy counted the beer bottles on the floor next to the arm chair. Fourteen.

“Not nearly enough.” Spike reached for another bottle of beer from the table. Buffy grabbed it from his hand. “Hey! ‘s mine!”

“Oh, no mister, you’ve had enough. I’m gonna take you home before you do something you’ll regret in the morning.” Buffy pulled Spike to his feet and started dragging him to the door. He complained all the way back to the house, a walk which took closer to half an hour than the usual five minutes.

Nobody was home when Buffy was finally able to unlock the front door. She pulled Spike up from the bench on the porch that she’d put him on after several attempts to open the door with him hanging on her to stop him from falling down. Somehow she managed to get him up the stairs and into his bedroom. She sat him down on the edge of his bed and started to pull his leather duster off. In response, he tipped over and fell to the floor. Buffy tried to get him onto the bed again.

“Stop... like it here... nice bed...” Buffy sighed and took a better grip.

“You’re not on the bed, that’s the floor, and if you sleep there you’ll have a hell of a back ache in the morning. Is that what you want?”

“Don’t care.” He rolled over on the floor, trying to get away from her.

“Well, you will tomorrow.” She was finally able to get him onto the bed again, only to have him fall onto his back. “Fine, sleep in that thing, what do I care?” Buffy muttered under her breath as she reached down to at least take his boots off. She threw the shoes to the side, grabbed the blanket that was on the arm chair in the corner and put it over Spikes now sleeping form on the bed. She pulled the blanket up over his shoulders and stopped for a second to look at him before she turned to leave the room. Only to feel a hand grab her by the arm. She turned and met his eyes.

“Don’t go... please? Stay here.” He moved over, making room for her on the bed. Buffy’s heart started to race, but she quickly told it to calm down. ‘He’s just drunk and lonely’ she told herself. It doesn’t mean anything. She sat down on the bed next to him and removed her own shoes before lying down on her side, not facing him in an attempt to keep him from seeing the look she knew she had in her eyes.

They laid there, none of the saying anything, but both knowing the other was awake. After a while, Buffy felt Spike’s arm coming around her waist to turn her around. She obliged and found their faces only inches apart. She saw something in his eyes, something she’d never seen before and couldn’t quite place. He brought his hand up and ran his fingers through her hair. Buffy’s breath caught in her throat.

“Do you know how much I love you?” He asked as his hand made small movements down her spine.

“I know that, you’re one of my best friends.” Buffy gasped as his hand made it’s way up her back, this time under the fabric of her top. Spike looked her in the eyes.

“I didn’t mean it like that.” His hand now rested under her hair on her neck. He pulled her closer and for a second, their lips met, before Buffy pulled away.

“No! No, this isn’t... it’s not real... you’re drunk, and... and Dru just left and you’re...” She was interrupted by his lips in hers once again. This time she didn’t pull back right away and he let his tongue slide over her lips. Involuntarily, she opened her mouth and allowed him in. He carefully let his tongue explore her mouth before his lips left hers and began down the side of her throat.

“It’s not like that... promise... it’s you... always been you... ever since that first day...” Buffy let the words wash over her and chose to believe them. After all, she had waited for Spike to notice her for over four years now, maybe he finally had. Of course, deep down she knew that he was drunk and heart broken, but hey, there were relationships that had worse starts than that.

She let the thoughts fly out the window as Spike pulled the top over her head, unhooked the clasp on her bra and continued his way down her chest to her stomach. He pulled down the zipper in her skirt and pulled it off along with her panties. Buffy moved uncomfortably on the bed, trying to cover up her now naked body. Spike stopped her movements as he slid back up her body, pulling his duster off on the way. His lips found hers once again and Buffy let go of all of her previous embarrassments. She started tugging on his T-shirt and he pulled back a little, letting her pull it over his head. His mouth quickly found hers again and he began unzipping his jeans and pulling them off along with his underwear. When he reached over to the bed side table to get a condom, Buffy froze. He gave her a wondering look.

“What’s wrong?” He kissed her face while his hands wandered down her upper body. “We don’t have to...” But Buffy stopped him by pulling his lips back to hers.

“No. I want to, it’s just... I’ve never...” He gave her the most tender kiss.

“It’s OK, everything will be OK, I promise.” And she believed him.