Author's Chapter Notes:
Got another chapter for you, enjoy. Thanks to everyone who's reviewed.

I don't own any of the characters.

Thanks to my beta, Nichole, for all her help.
Chapter four

Buffy sighed and rubbed her back as she dropped her books on her desk. This backpain was killing her, and she still had two endless months left. She sat down at the desk and opened one of the books, trying to focus on studying for her first final. After only five minutes, the phone rang.

“Hello?”

“Buffy, sweetie?”

“Hi Dad.” Buffy groaned inside. She still hadn’t told her father about the baby, knowing that he wouldn’t just drop by for a visit, since, Spain and all. Deep down she had, of course, known that she would have to tell him eventually, but kept trying to put it off anyway.

“So, I just wanted to check with you that June fifth is OK for your flight.” Right, she was supposed to go to Spain and visit him and Dawn over the summer. Well, that was not gonna happen.

“Listen, Dad... there’s something I have to tell you.”

“What is it, sweetie? Is something wrong?”

“Well... that depends on how you look at it. Before I say anything, I just want you to remember that I’m happy, and that this was my decision. OK?”

“Buffy, now you’re starting to scare me. Just tell me what’s going on, I won’t be angry.” ‘Don’t be so sure about that’ she thought before gathering her strength.

“I’m pregnant.” It was quiet for at least three minutes. “Daddy? You there?”

“I’m sorry, I thought you said that you were... pregnant.”

“I did. I’m sorry, Daddy, I know that this is a shock...”

“A shock? A shock? Finding out that my oldest daughter is pregnant is a SHOCK?” He was quiet for a moment again. “What are you planning to do?”

“Well, the college has a daycare center that is open for all students, so that’s not a problem. I’m gonna stay in school, if you’re worried about that. Besides, I have the guys to help me.”

“And what about the father? What does he have to say? And who is it? Do I know him?”

“Daddy, please...”

“You don’t want to tell me? Do you really expect me to keep supporting you when you treat me with this much disrespect? I don’t think so. From now on you’re on your own.” He hung up on her and for a moment she just sat there with the phone in her hand.

She came to when she heard the front door close.

“Buffy? Are you home?” She heard Willow calling from the bottom floor.

“Up here.” She tried to keep her voice steady, but Willow could hear something was wrong.

“Sweetie, what’s wrong? Is everything OK, did something happen?” Willow saw the distressed look on Buffy’s face as she entered the room.

“My Dad called.”

“Oh... did you tell him?” Willow dropped her bag by Buffy’s desk and came over to the bed.

“Yeah...”

“What did he say?” Willow put a supporting arm around Buffy’s shoulder.

“He said that... that he... he... he didn’t want anything to do with me anymore.”

“Oh, sweetie, I’m sure he didn’t really mean it, he’s just upset right now. He’ll come around, you’ll see.” Willow gave her best friend a hug, trying to calm her down.

“I don’t know what to do, Wil. I was counting on him to help me, you know, financially, and now he isn’t even going to let me keep my allowance.” Buffy let the tears flow freely now.

“Oh, this one I know! I’ve been looking into some funds and stuff, and there’s a whole bunch of ‘em.” Willow pulled some papers from her bag and handed them to Buffy. “See? The college has a fund that all single mothers get money from, you would get at least 500 dollars a month. And the city has funds too, but those you have to apply for. I got you the applications, they’re right there. And, you know, Tara and I were talking about moving in together, and she would pay rent, and we’ll all help you.”

“Thank you.” Buffy gave Willow a tight hug. “I don’t know what I would do without you guys.”

“So...” Willow looked around the room, spotting the newest addition, a white wooden crib that was positioned next to the bed. “This is beautiful! Where did you find it?”

“Actually, Xander made it for me. I was complaining how I couldn’t find one that I liked, and then today he was waiting for me when I got home and told me that he had a surprise for me.” Buffy ran her hand over the smooth wood. “You didn’t know?”

“No. He’s been all secretive these past couple of weeks.” She put the papers on Buffy’s desk for her to look at later. “So, you have a doctors appointment later today?”

“Yeah, at 5.30. Just a checkup.”

“Are you gonna find out if it’s a boy or a girl?”

“Willow, I’ve told you that I don’t want to know, not until the baby’s born.”

“Fine. Have it your way.” Willow got up and headed for the door. “You want me to go with you?”

“No, that’s OK. Xander said he was gonna take me.”

“OK. I’ve got some homework, but I’ll see you later, OK?”

“OK.”

*****

“Buffy?” Buffy tore her eyes away from her daughter and looked up at Willow who was entering the hospital room. “Hey. How you doing?”

“I’m fine. Just feel a little tired.” Buffy smiled at Willow.

“Well, no wonder. Did you get any sleep after I left last night?” Willow came around the bed and sat down in the chair.

“Yeah, a couple of hours. She’s been so good, hardly crying at all.”

“Apparently that’s normal for the first days, I talked to one of the nurses.” Willow reached out and gently stroked the baby’s soft head. “She’s so beautiful. Have you decided on a name yet?”

“I think so. I’m down to two options.”

“You wanna see our name list?” Willow pulled a paper from her back pocket.

“Your what?” Buffy looked at the folded up paper.

“Well, a couple of months ago, me, Xander, Spike, Tara and Anya were discussing names and decided to write down the ones we liked the most. Since you wouldn’t find out if it was a boy or a girl, we made two lists, one of boys names and one of girls names. I have the girl one, if you wanna look.”

“You guys really did that? That’s so sweet. Of course I wanna see it.” Since she had her hands full with the baby, Willow held up the paper so she could read from it.

“Caitlin... who put that on there? That’s the option I’m leaning towards right now.” Willow looked at the list for a while.

“I think it was Spike. By the way, I called him in London last night and he said congratulations and that he was sorry he couldn’t be here. He really wanted to.”

“I know. It’s not his fault. Dru needed him to go with her, she is his girlfriend after all.” Buffy pushed the pain that hit her aside. It had been her own choice not to tell him, she had to live with the consequences.

“I’m not sure that she will be much longer. He was really mad when she practically threatened to break up with him if he stayed here for the summer, just because he said that he wanted to be here when the baby was born.”

Buffy winced at Willow’s words. She hadn’t exchanged any words with Dru since that morning, but she knew that the other woman knew her secret. She had been giving her looks of hatred ever since she found out about the baby. And why wouldn’t she, after all? It was her boyfriend that was the father, even if he didn’t know it himself. Buffy was just relieved that Dru hadn’t told Spike. Willow’s voice drew her back to reality.

“So, is Caitlin it then?”

“I think so. I’ve had it in mind from the beginning, you know, if it would be a girl, so... yeah.” Buffy smiled at the sleeping baby. “You like that, Caitlin?”

“That’s great. I’ve gotta go, I’m meeting Tara in five minutes. We’ll drop by in about an hour or so, we have some... things to do first. Xander said that he and Anya would be coming over as soon as she got off from work, which is...” She looked at her watch. “... in half an hour.” She got up from the chair and gave Caitlin a kiss on her head before saying goodbye to Buffy and leaving the room.

*****

Buffy had just finished feeding Caitlin when she heard a soft knock on the door. Willow, Tara, Xander and Anya had just left and Giles had been by earlier that day, so she had no idea who it might be.

“Come in.” The door opened and revealed her sister, Dawn. “Dawnie, is that you?” Dawn walked up to the bed.

“Yeah, it’s me.”

“Oh my God, what are you doing here?” Buffy gave her a hug with one arm. “I thought Dad would keep you as far away from here as he possibly could.” Dawn hugged her back and sat down in the chair.

“He didn’t really have a choice. He’s in Tokyo on business for almost a month, and all of my usual baby sitters were out of the country, so when I said I wanted to go visit Janice and her family, he couldn’t say no. And he’s coming to California in a couple of weeks anyway, we’re spending the rest of the summer with uncle Jack and aunt Denise in LA.” She looked down on Caitlin. “She’s so cute. What’s her name?”

“Caitlin Joyce Summers. You like it?”

“Yeah. Why Summers? Shouldn’t she have her Dad’s name?” Dawn played with one of Caitlin’s tiny hands, letting the baby hold onto one of her fingers.

“He’s not really... involved like that.” Buffy avoided her sisters eyes.

“Why not?”

“Dawnie, could we please not... I really don’t...”

“Sorry, I’m being to nosy. Dad says I do that a lot.” They sat in silence for a while. “Her eyes are so blue...” Buffy had noticed that too, but knew that it might change, which she was hoping for, to avoid a too close resemblance...

“They’ll probably change, all babies have blue eyes when they’re born.”

“I’m sorry I haven’t called you. Dad told me I wasn’t allowed to, and I was afraid that he would ground me or something.” Dawn gave Buffy a regretful look.

“It’s OK, Dawnie, it’s not your fault.” Buffy squeezed her sisters hand.

“He was so angry... I heard him all the way into the garden. At first he wouldn’t tell me what was going on, but then I overheard him talking to one of his friends... Will you ever be able to come visit us?”

“I don’t know Dawnie, I really don’t. Not right now, OK? Maybe he’ll come around. I hope so.”

“I brought my camera.” Dawn smiled and rummaged through her backpack until she found it. “I want to at least have pictures of my niece.” She took the camera out of its case and took some pictures before putting it back into her bag. “Can I hold her?”

“Sure. But give me the camera first.” Dawn gave Buffy the camera and then lifted Caitlin carefully from her arms. When Dawn had sat back down into the chair with Caitlin in her arms, Buffy took a couple of pictures of them.

There was another knock on the door, and a woman peeked in.

“Hello, Buffy. I haven’t seen you in a long while.”

“Hi Mrs. Bennett. Thank you for letting Dawnie come and visit.” Buffy smiled at Janice’s mom.

“Of course. It’s all she’s been talking about for the past two days.” She walked up to the bed. “Isn’t she just adorable?” She smiled at Buffy. “I’m sorry to hear about your fathers reaction. Do you have everything you need?”

“I’ve had a lot of help from my friends, but thank you for your offer. I really appreciate you taking care of Dawn while our Dad’s away.”

“We wouldn’t have it any other way, Dawnie’s like family to us. Which reminds, me. Dawn, we have to go now, or we’ll be late for dinner with Grandma Bennett.”

Dawn stood up and reluctantly placed Caitlin back in Buffy’s arms.

“I’ll come back tomorrow, OK. And maybe I could come live with you for a little while, you know, after you go home.” Dawn gave Buffy a hopeful look.

“I’d love that. If it’s OK with Mrs. Bennett, you and Janice can come stay at the house for a week or so.” Buffy looked at Mrs. Bennett.

“I think that’s a great idea. And I won’t say a word to your father.” Mrs. Bennett winked at Dawn before she said goodbye to Buffy and left the room to give the sisters a couple of minutes alone to say goodbye.

“I’m so glad you came, Dawnie. I’ve missed you so much.”

“I’ve missed you too. I wish things could be like when Mom was alive.”

“I know. We’ll just have to make the best of the time we have, OK? Now go, I’ll see you tomorrow.”