Author's Chapter Notes:
Here's an update for you. Thanks for the reviews I've gotten, I really appreciate it. I hope you like the rest of the story and keep reviewing.
I do not own any of the characters from Buffy.
Thanks to my Beta, Nichole.
Mindwalking


They all entered the room and found Buffy in a hospital bed, seemingly asleep. Willow sat down on the bed next to her and took her hand. Buffy opened her eyes.

“Buffy?” Willow squeezed her hand. “Buffy?” Buffy didn’t react. Giles stepped closer.

“Buffy, can you hear me?” She still didn’t react. Giles waved a hand in front of her. Still no reaction. “Oh, no.”

“What?” Xander looked confused.

“I believe she has gone catatonic again, like when Glory took Dawn. Maybe what I revealed was too much for her in her current state.” Giles looked at Willow. “Do you think you can do the mind walking again?”

“Sure.” Willow sat down in the chair next to the bed, keeping eyecontact with Buffy. The others took a couple of steps back, not wanting to disturb her.



Willow was standing on the balcony of Buffy and Dawn’s apartment. Buffy was sitting in one of the chairs, looking over the city. Willow approached her.

“Buffy?”

“Shhh.” Buffy looked at Willow, smiling. “He’s coming soon.” Willow looked around, seeing no-one.

“Who? Who’s coming?”

“William. He’s coming back.” Buffy turned her attention back to the street below, and Willow spotted someone walking towards them. The person looked up, and Willow gasped. It was Spike. Buffy smiled at her again.

“See? I told you he’d come back.”

*****

Willow was now in Buffy’s bedroom, it was morning and Buffy was asleep. Willow watched as she stirred, reached for the empty spot next to her in the bed as if someone was supposed to be there, and woke up. She looked at Willow, a sad smile on her face.

“It didn’t feel like a dream. But it never does, and it always is.” Willow sat down on the bed.

“Buffy, I know you’re hurting. But I need you to come back with me, OK?” Buffy shook her head.

“I can’t. I can’t keep living like this. Every night is like heaven, and then I wake up, and he’s gone. I can’t do it anymore. I’m sorry. Tell Dawn and the others that I love them.” Willow watched as the image of Buffy’s bedroom faded away.



Willow was in the hospital room again. The others were standing around her. When they saw she was back, they turned to the bed, but Buffy was still unresponsive.

“What happened?” Giles looked at Willow, a concerned look on his face. Willow met his gaze.

“She wouldn’t come back with me. But I have an idea.”

*****

Willow, Xander and Giles were standing in the hallway outside Buffy’s hospital room. Dawn and Andrew were in the room with Buffy.

“OK, Wil. What’s the plan?” Xander asked.

“I didn’t say plan. Did I say plan?” Willow answered defensively.

“Sorry, sorry. Idea, then.” Xander raised his hands in the air, surrendering.

“Yes. Well, I only saw two different events. First, Buffy was on her balcony and Spike was walking up the street. She told me she knew he’d come back. Then I was in her bedroom in the morning, when she woke up. She reached out, as to see if he was there, and then she told me that it was always a dream, but it didn’t feel like a dream.”

“OK... I’m not sure I get this, I’m still hung up on this whole pregnancy thing. I mean, how... well not how, I know how, but... still, how? And, more importantly, who?” Xander started pacing the hallway.

“That’s part of my idea. See, what I thought was, what if Spike didn’t die in the battle? What if he came here, they... you know. Then he left before she woke up, and she thought it was a dream.” Willow awaited the others reactions.

“Good idea, Wil. There’s only one teeeeny fault.” Xander stopped.

“What?” Willow looked at him.

“Vampire, pregnancy... not exactly two words that go together. Unless you know something I don’t. Do you?” Xander frowned.

“Oh, but I’ve got that figured too. Remember that prophecy about the vampire with a soul everyone thought Angel would get? Where he would be turned human? What if Angel died in the battle, and Spike got the prophecy instead?” Willow seemed pleased with her idea.

“OK, I can buy that. He became human, came here and they got with the smoochies. Only...” Willow interrupted him.

“Why did he leave?” Xander nodded at her. “That I don’t know... but it all adds up... Giles, Wesley’s last entry was on May 14th, right? So the battle would have been on May 15th, right? And the doctor said Buffy was three months pregnant, right? What day was it three months ago?” She turned to Xander who was counting backwards.

“Around May 18th... right?” He said hesitantly.

“Exactly. Maybe Spike isn’t as dead as we think.” Willow looked at the others. “And I think the only way we’re gonna get Buffy back, is to get him here.”

Giles, who had been silent through the entire reasoning spoke for the first time.

“I’ll get in touch with some of my sources. If he’s still around, we’ll find him.” He left Willow and Xander in the hallway, heading for a phone.

*****

Willow was sitting in Buffy’s hospital room as Xander walked in. She looked up.

“Any changes?” He sat down in one of the other chairs.

“No. The doctors don’t know what to do. Even if they did know something, I don’t think it would work. She won’t come back unless she wants to. Have Giles heard anything yet?” Xander shook his head.

“He said he was gonna call a guy in the States who said he had a lead a couple of days ago, but I don’t know. It’s been over a week.” Willow could hear the doubt in his voice.

“We’ll find him. He’s out there, I know he is. And we will get her back, OK? Promise.” Willow smiled weakly. “How did the school tour go?” Dawn had decided to go to college in Rome, and earlier that morning Xander had taken her over to the school to look around, since she wuld be starting classes two weeks later.

“It went fine. I think she’ll like it. I dropped her off downtown so she and Andrew could get some of the stuff she needs.”

“Good. She needs to get her mind off things.” Willow turned back to Buffy in the hospital bed.

“I know. I’m glad we didn’t tell her about Spike. It would’ve been too much for her if we didn’t find him.” They both looked up as Giles entered the room.

“I’ve found him.”

*****

“He’s in New York.” Giles stated.

“Are you sure?” Xander looked a little skeptical. Giles handed him a couple of photos. “OK.” Xander handed the photos to Willow, who looked through them.

“And according to my source, he is, like you said, Willow, very much alive.” Giles continued.

“OK,I’m going.” Willow got up and headed for the door. Xander held her back.

“Maybe I should go instead.”

“What? Why?” Willow gave him a look.

“I think this might be more of a... guy thing.” Xander turned to Giles, looking for support.

“I must agree with Xander on this one. I think he will have the best chance at getting through to him.” Giles handed Xander the folder he had brought. “This had his address and some other information that might be useful.”

“Fine. But if you mess this up!” Willow gave Xander her resolve face.

“I know, I know, you’ll have to kill me.” Xander headed for the door.

“Very painfully.” Willow almost shouted after him.