Author's Chapter Notes:
Here's chapter four for you guys - only the last chapter and the epilogue left now (They'll be in the same chapter, though, had to combine them to get up to 1000 words) ! Let me know if you want it.

I don't own any of the characters.

Thanks to Nichole for all her help!
Persuasion



Spike unlocked the door to his apartment. He had been working a double shift at the bar and after he’d cleaned the place and locked up it had been after five in the morning. He was exhausted. He closed the door behind him and dropped the keys onto the table in the hallway. As he entered the small living room he froze. Someone was in the apartment, he could feel it. Cautiously, he looked around the room, but it was empty. He went into the kitchen, and stopped at the sight.

“What the bloody hell are you doing here?” He asked the intruder.

“Is that the way you greet an old friend?” Xander tossed him one of the beers he had just taken out of the fridge.

“As far as I remember, you an’ me weren’t exactly friends.” Spike opened the beer and sat down at the table. “How’d you get in?”

“Told your landlord a sad little story about how I was your younger brother who hadn’t seen you in a long, long time and now I was dying and just wanted to see my big brother one last time before I kicked the bucket. I think she was actually crying when I finished. You really should talk to her about not letting just anybody in here.” Xander joined Spike at the table.

“And you’re here because... what?” Spike asked.

“It’s not because I want to, if that’s what you think. If it were up to me, I’d let you stay here, halfway across the world and far, far away from the people I love. But, like always, I don’t have a say in this, and Willow seems to think you’re the only one who could help.” Xander took a drink from his beer.

“Help who?” Spike did the same.

“Buffy.” Spike looked up at Xander’s word.

“And why would I want to do that?”

“Oh, come one, bleach boy. I know you love her, don’t even try to deny it.” Xander snorted.

“I’m not. Doesn’t mean I’m at her beck and call. Got my own life here, and I’m happy with it.” Spike hoped Xander would be convinced by this, even if he himself wasn’t.

“Under any normal circumstances I would say fine. Live your pathetic life, I don’t care. But it is very possible that you’re the only one who could get her back, and I will not lose her just because you’re stubborn.” Xander leaned over the table in what he hoped was a threatening pose.

“Get her back? From where?” Spike started to get worried, and he knew Xander could tell.

“Oh, I forgot to mention that? Well, after we heard about your little return from the dead, and the battle in LA which no-one supposedly survived, Buffy went catatonic again. Remember that? When Glory took Dawn?” Xander could see Spike twitch at the memory.

“How did you guys find out about that?” Spike wondered.

“Wesley sent Giles a diary before the battle. Giles did some research, found the bodies of Wesley and some other people...”

“Gunn and Illyria.” Spike interrupted.

“Right. And he came to the conclusion that both you and Angel died as well. Then Willow did the whole mind walking thing she saw the day you came to Rome, and she figured the rest out. Did you know Buffy thought it was a dream? Still does, as a matter of fact.” Xander leaned back in the chair.

“Let her think that. Better for all of us.” Spike took another sip of his beer.

“See, that’s where you’re wrong.” Spike was surprised at the harshness in Xander’s voice.

“Better for me anyways. And I’m sick and tired of being her toy that she can play with whenever she likes. I’m done with that.” Spike was trying to convince himself just as much as Xander.

“Fine. Then don’t stay. Just come back with me and get her back. Or at least try.” Xander was trying anything he could think of, getting desperate.

“Maybe she’s happier where she is now, ever think of that? Like when you guys brought her back from heaven.” Spike saw the pain in Xander’s eyes, and felt a little bad.

“She’s not. And even if she thinks she is, she won’t when she knows you’re really back.”

“Why would she? She doesn’t care. Moved on, didn’t she?” Spike got up and went over to the fridge to get another beer.

“Who the hell are you talking about? Because it sure as hell isn’t the Buffy I know, the one who’s been mourning for almost a year and a half. She hasn’t moved on, or let go. God knows we’ve tried to get her to, but she hasn’t.” Xander was getting mad again, and Spike could hear it.

“What about the Immortal? Angel and I saw her with him, and Andrew told us that they were together.” Spike came back tot he table and handed Xander another beer.

“That? It was just a scam he pulled.”Xander accepted the beer. “Told Buffy he had some old friends coming to town and asked her to play girlfriend for the night. There was never anything between them.”

“But he called her, I was there, he left a message that they were going out for dinner.” Spike could still feel the pain from that day.

“Is that why you left that day? We couldn’t figure out why you would come to Rome and then just leave after... well, you know. I get it. I would probably have done the same. But trust me, there’s nothing between them. He’s been trying to get her to go out with him for months, but she refuses.”

“There’s nothing between them?” Xander shook his head. “Damn!”

“You can say that. Now, come on. I have two tickets for Rome with a flight that leaves at ten. We need to get back as soon as possible, the doctors are worried about Buffy and the baby, says there might be permanent damage if she doesn’t wake up soon.” Xander headed for the door, Spike following.

“Buffy and the... what?” Spike stopped dead in his tracks.

“Oh, I forgot to mention that? Buffy’s pregnant.” At the look on Spike’s face, he added. “Guess you didn’t think of birthcontrol, did you? Well, if you haven’t had a reason to worry about it for, oh say a century, it might be hard to remember.”

“She’s... you’re sure?” Spike sounded insecure.

“The doctor was pretty positive. And Dawnie said there has been signs, but Buffy must have thought it was nothing since she thought that it hadn’t really happened.”

“And... it’s mine?” Xander could see the doubt in the other man’s eyes.

“There’s no-one else, so I’d say yeah.”

“Let’s go.”