Author's Chapter Notes:
Here's chapter five and the epilogue for you. Had to post them together for the length issue. Enjoy!
Oh, don't own the characters!
Thanks to Nichole.
Coming back


Xander and Spike walked out of the elevator on the second floor of the hospital. Xander led the way down the corridors to Buffy’s room, where they were met by Giles and Andrew who were sitting in the hallway.

“Spike!” Andrew jumped to his feet and tried to give Spike a hug, but he managed to slip away. Giles stood up also.

“Spike.”

“Rupert.” Spike looked the Watcher over suspiciously, and was caught completely off guard when the older man pulled him into a hug.

“I’m glad you’re here.” He pulled back and nodded for the door. “Get her back.”

“I will.” Spike opened the door and entered the room. Willow and Dawn were sitting in chairs next to the bed where Buffy was lying, eyes wide open but unseeing. When the door closed with a small thud, Dawn looked up.

“Spike?” He could see the tears forming in her eyes and walked across the room and pulled her into a tight embrace.

“Everything’s gonna be OK, don’t worry.” He let her cry until she pulled away by herself, then he turned to Willow.

“’lo, Red.” She smiled and hugged him as well. When she released him he let his attention focus on Buffy. “Hello, love. Missed you.” He took her hand in his and squeezed it. She didn’t react.

“Did Xander tell you everything?” Willow came up beside him.

“I think so. You’re gonna do some magic thing to get me into her head and I have to convince her to come back, that about right?” Spike looked at Willow.

“Yeah. You can’t force her. She has to want to come back herself. But you can do anything to get her to want that. Tell her what’s going on, about the baby and everything, OK? She might not accept that you’re really alive at first, but just keep talking to her. I think she’ll come around eventually.” Willow gave him an encouraging smile.

“OK. Let’s do this.” Spike sat down in the chair Willow had left.

“Keep eyecontact with her.” Willow took one of his hands in her left and one of Buffy’s in her right and closed her eyes.


Spike was in Buffy’s apartment in Rome. She was sitting on the couch, remote control in her hand and her eyes focused on the TV. He could hear his own voice. She was watching the tape Andrew had made those last couple of months before the battle. Slowly he approached her and sat down on the couch next to her. She turned to him.

“Why did you have to go?” She had tears in her eyes.

“I’m sorry, love. But I’m back now, OK?” He reached out to touch her cheek, but she pulled back before he could.

“No, you’re not real. It’s the First, he’s playing with me, trying to make me think...” She put her hands over her eyes, trying to shut him out.

“No, listen to me. After the battle in LA I was turned human. I came to see you, you remember that? Xander says that you thought it was a dream, but it wasn’t, it was real.” He pulled her hands into his own, holding them tight.

“No. I won’t let you do this, you can’t make me believe and then leave again. I can’t.” She pulled away and left the room.

*****

They were in the Hellmouth now. He was watching them by the stairs to the high school. He couldn’t hear what they were saying, but remembered every single word.

“You didn’t believe me.” Buffy was standing beside him.

“I did. I just wanted you to be safe, to get out of there. I’m sorry I said that.” He reached out for her hand, and she let him take it in his. “I need you to come back with me, love. There are people who need you. Dawn, me... the baby...” At the last word she pulled her hand out of his grasp.

“There is no baby. Everything was a dream, it wasn’t real, you’re gone.”

*****

He was in her bedroom now. Somehow he knew that it was the morning after he came to Rome. He saw Buffy reach for him next to her in bed and wake up when the spot was empty. She looked up at him.

“I thought you were gone. That it was just a dream again.” He sat down on the bed and pulled her into his arms.

“It wasnt a dream. It’s me, really.” He held her, trying to comfort her the best he could.

“You left! Just like the others did. You were supposed to always be there, and you left!”

“I’m sorry, love. I didn’t have a choice, you know. But I’m back now, and I’m never leaving any of you ever again, OK? I just need you to come back with me, can you do that?” He felt her nod against his chest as the image of the room began to fade away.


Spike pulled out of the trance with a sharp gasp for air. In the bed, Buffy did the same. He jumped out of the chair and was by the bed in two steps, holding her to him as tight as he could. She started crying, and he let her.

“I thought it was all a dream, that you wouldn’t be here when I came back.”

“Shhh... it’s OK, everything’s gonna be fine. I’m here.” He stroked her hair and she held him tight by his shirt. None of them noticed Willow and Dawn leaving the room, giving them some privacy.


Epilogue

Spike heard the screams from the garden and went out on the back porch to see what was going on.

“Daddy! Daddy! Wiwum hit me!” Spike sighed and took a step out in the sun of the back yard.

“William Giles Summers! What have I told you about hitting your little sisters?” The five-year-old peaked out behind a tree.

“But they were breaking my castle. I had a tower and everything.” The boy frowned.

“That still doesn’t give you the right to hit, OK?” Spike went over to the sandbox in the back of the garden. “Let’s see if I can help you with that.” He heard two small giggles from behind the playhouse and smiled. “Anya and Tara, come out here.” The two identical two-and-a-half year olds ran out from behind the house and almost knocked him over, attacking his legs. He sat down on the bench next to the sandbox and pulled them both into his lap. “What were you two doing?” He got two innocent looks back.

“Nothing dada.”

“Did you destroy Williams castle?” He got two headshakes as a response. “Are you sure about that?” Anya continued to shake her head, but Tara gave them away.

“Maybe a wittle?” She smiled guiltily.

“What have I said? Don’t destroy your brothers things.” Spike sighed.

“We just wanna play with him.” Anya gave him the puppy dog eyes she had already perfected.

“Why don’t you help him rebuild the castle then?” Both girls nodded and jumped down, joining their brother in the sandbox.

“What was all the commotion about?” Spike looked behind him to find Buffy with ten-month-old Alex in her arms. He smiled at her.

“Just a sandcastle issue. All sorted.” She sat down on the bench and Spike took the sleeping baby from her.

“Mommy mommy!” Tara had spotted Buffy and took a firm grip with her little arms around her leg. Buffy loosened her arms and pulled her into her lap.

“Hey baby. Guess what? Uncle Xander and Auntie Tracy are coming tomorrow, isn’t that fun?” The little girl nodded.

“Is baby Jesse coming too?” Xander had met Tracy three years earlier. She was a Slayer and he was her Watcher. They had gotten married a year ago and their son, Jesse was now two months old.

“Of course he is. And then we’re all going to go visit auntie Dawn and auntie Willow and uncle Andrew and grandpa Giles in England, remember?” Buffy put a stray strand of her daughter’s blonde hair behind her ear. Giles was running the new Council, and Willow was working with him, training Slayers and Watchers. Dawn and Andrew were training to be Watchers.

“Yay.” Buffy laughed at her daughters reaction.

“Go play with your brother and sister now, OK.” She put Tara down on the ground and she ran back over to the sandbox. “She’s really excited.”

“They all are. Of course, the way old Rupert spoils them, it’s no wonder.” Buffy playfully slapped Spike on the arm.

“Hey! He’s the grandfather, it’s his job.”

“I’m not complaining. If he lived here, we probably wouldn’t have to buy a single thing for them.” Spike smiled at the memory of the last time Giles had visited them, showing up on the doorstep barely visible behind all the bags and packages.

“About that...” He could hear Buffy’s voice turning from playful to serious.

“The moving thing?” He looked at her.

“Yeah.” She nodded.

“You know it’s your decision. Giles said I have a job at the Council any time, and if you want to move to England, that’s fine.” Spike gave her a smile.

“Really? Because I think I want to.” She gave him a cautious look.

“OK. Then we move. Probably a good thing to do it before Will starts school, anyway.”

“I was thinking about that too. And, when I talked to Xander earlier, he said that he’s been offered the executive VP job at a construction company... in London.” Buffy had a hard time hiding her excitement.

“That’s great. Just like old times, the whole gang together again. Plus some new additions.”

“You don’t mind?” She looked at him. “Seriously.”

“Why would I mind? I love the mothercountry, and if you want to go, I know you won’t be happy until we do, and I just want you to be happy. You know I’d do anything for you.” He gave her a kiss on the forehead.

“You already have.” Buffy leaned her head on Spike’s shoulder and looked at their three kids playing in the sun.