Author's Chapter Notes:
Here's chapter two for you, hope you like it!
Thanks to NIchole.
2 Going home


Buffy walked through the doors to the balcony. Dawn entered through the doors to the hallway at the same time.

“She wake you?” Buffy asked and Dawn nodded.

“Yeah. No big, it’s not like I’m getting up in the morning anyway. You know, Saturday and all. I thought since you were out on the balcony, you’d be, you know, not so reachable.”

Buffy walked over to the crib and picked up Tara who was standing up, her hands tightly gripping the edge of the crib.

“I didn’t think you knew what I did out there...” Buffy looked down.

“I’d have to be blind, deaf and dumb not to. You’re out there every night, listening to that song. Plus, the smell kinda stays with you.” Dawn wrinkled her nose.

“It does?” Buffy sniffed her clothes. It did. “I didn’t realize that.”

“It’s OK. I kind of miss the smell too. Plus, now Tara will know it. I think she will appreciate that later on, you know, having something...” Buffy looked down on her daughter, who had already fallen asleep again.

“I just wish he could have know.”

“I think he does. Wherever he is, I think he’s watching over you. Both of you.”

Buffy put the sleeping girl back in the crib. She and Dawn left the room, not closing the door in case Tara woke up again. They sat down on the couch in the living room. Buffy turned on the TV, but didn’t turn the sound up. Dawn spoke first.

“Andrew said that, and I quote, ‘G.I. Joe’ stopped by yesterday. Was it who I think it was?”

“Yeah.” Buffy didn’t have the energy to explain right now.

“So, what did he want?” Dawn took the remote from her sister and started flipping through channels, stopping on a rerun of Friends.

“He wanted to make me an offer.” Buffy thought back to Riley’s visit.

“What kind of an offer?”

“A job-offer.”

“You’re not going to join the initiative, or whatever they’re called these days, again, are you? Cause, we all know how well that went last time.” Dawn turned on the couch to face Buffy.

“No. It was a different kind of job. Look, we’re having a meeting tomorrow, I’ll tell you then.” Buffy avoided her sister gaze.

“A meeting? But, Andrew’s just sleeping, I’ll wake him up and we’ll have the meeting right now.” Dawn got up and headed for Andrew’s bedroom

“It’s not just us. Will is flying in in the morning, Xander’s coming by boat a little later and Giles...” she looked at her watch “...is landing in about half an hour. I should go pick him up. Will you be OK here?”

“Sure.”

“If she wakes up again, give her Piglet, that should calm her down. And if she gets hungry there’s food in the fridge, just...”

“Buffy, I’ve been alone with Tara before. I think I can handle it.”

“I know, it’s just... I always hate leaving her, like someones gonna come and take her away when I’m not looking...”

“Look, it’s not gonna happen. Now go, you don’t wanna be late.” She pushed Buffy toward the front door.

“OK, OK, I’m going.” Buffy managed to grab her car keyes and jacket before the door slammed shut behind her.

*****

Buffy looked at the people around the table. The people she now considered family, because they were all she had. Xander and Willow, who had been there from the beginning, who had gone through pretty much everything with her. Giles, who had guided her through the slaying and her life, who had taught her basically everything she knew. Dawn, her not so little sister anymore. She’d be starting her second year in college next fall... Andrew. Even Andrew was family now. He had been through the last big fight with them, it was almost a given. She started talking.

“So. I guess you all wanna know why I called this emergency meeting. I’m just gonna cut to the chase, whatever that means. The day before yesterday, I had a visit from an old friend of ours... Riley. He wanted to make me an offer, make us an offer. Since the big Slayer change, Riley and whatever government branch he’s working for at the moment, have been gathering Slayers from all over the world, a little like us, but they’ve found a little more of them. About 2000 to be exact.” She let this sink in before she continued.

“They’re keeping them in an old warehouse in LA at the moment. They’ve been trying to train them, but most of them don’t trust the government. Riley thinks that they need someone that’s like them, someone who would understand. So he wants me to train them. He also wants to set up a new Watcher’s Council, and that’s why I called you guys. They have jobs for all of you, if you choose to come with me. They will get us places to live, everything we need, and we will be paid for the work we do.” She looked around at them again.

“Look, I know this is a big decision to make. I’m gonna give you all the time you need, but I’m leaving tomorrow. Whoever wants to go with me, that’s fine. If you need more time, you can always join us later. Or not at all. It’s all up to you.”

She got up and left them, went into her bedroom to check on Tara. She was asleep, so Buffy sat down in the rocking chair next to the crib and watched her.

*****

After a while, it could have been a couple of minutes, could have been an hour, Buffy didn’t know, Willow entered the room.

“How’s my favorite god-daughter?”

“She’s your only god-daughter, Will.” Buffy smiled at her best friend.

“But she’s still my favorite.” Willow stroke Tara’s cheek before turning back to Buffy. “I think everyones ready.”

They went back into the living room. Buffy looked around the room, trying to figure out what they were thinking, but couldn’t.

“So...” She stated, not knowing what to say.

“I’m going with you.” Willow started.

“Me too.” Xander and Andrew said simultaneous.

“If you truly think you need my help, I’d be happy to come.” Giles continued.

That left Dawn.

“I guess I don’t have much of a choice, do I?”

“Of course you do. You’re 18, and if you want to stay here, I’m sure we can figure something out. But I would like you too come with me.”

“I guess you could use my help.” Dawn smiled at Buffy and she smiled back. It had been a while since the last time she smiled. It felt nice.

“So, I guess that settles it. Looks like we’re going home.” Buffy tasted the word for a moment. Home. It felt right.