Author's Chapter Notes:
Chapter two for you, enjoy.
I don't own any of the characters.
Thanks to my beta, Nichole.
The sentences inside ( ) is in sign language.
Two


Buffy was reluctantly pulled out of sleep by an incessant ringing. Sleepily she reached for the alarm clock on her bed side table, but that didn’t stop it. Finally realizing it was her cell phone, she made her way out of the bed and picked the annoying subject up from her desk.

“Hello?” She mumbled.

“Buffy, where the hell are you?” Anya voice came over the line. “You and Faith were supposed to be her over an hour ago; I’ve been calling and calling...”

“Oh, God, An I must have overslept. Again.” Buffy mentally cursed herself. She and Faith were bridesmaids at Anya and Xander’s wedding which was to start in, she glanced at her watch and moaned, half an hour. This was becoming a habit.

“I’ll wake up Faith, we’ll be over in five minutes, promise.” Buffy hung up before Anya could start arguing and went to wake Faith.

*****

Amazingly, Buffy and Faith managed to reach the church before the ceremony started. As they joined the other bridesmaids on the steps outside the church, Dawn shot them a look and shook her head. Buffy smiled apologetically at her.

“Good, you’re here.” Anya called. She nodded to her father, who was giving her away. “Let’s go.” The doors to the church were opened and Buffy could see Xander standing at the end of the aisle. She smiled at the nervous look on his face as she followed the bride through the church. When they reached the front of the church, Buffy noticed the priest for the first time. He was Anya cousin, a nervous looking guy named Andrew, and he was now desperately looking for some passage in the Bible he was holding. Xander cleared his throat to let Andrew now they were ready to begin. He looked up at the sound, and Buffy was reminded of a deer caught in the headlight of a car.

“Yes. Dearly beloved. We are gathered here today to witnesses the union between this man and this woman.” Andrew announced in a high pitched voice. He turned to Xander. “Please repeat after me. I, Alexander Level Harris.”

“I Alexander LAVELLE Harris.” Xander gave Andrew a pointed look.

“Right. Take thee, Anya Christian Emanuela Jenkins.”

“Take thee, Anya CHRISTINA Emanuela Jenkins.” Another look. Andrew blushed.

“To be my awful wedded wife.”

“To be my LAWFUL wedded wife.” Xander said, obviously losing patience with the priest, who turned to Anya.

“Now, Anya, please repeat after me. I Anya Christina Emanuela Jenkins.”

“I Anya Christina Emanuela Jenkins.” Anya repeated.

“Take thee, Alexander Le... La... Alexander Harris.” The crowd sighed in relief as Andrew decided to skip Xander’s middle name.

“Take thee, Alexander Harris.”

“To be my lawful wedded husband.” There was a look of relief on Andrew’s face as he had gotten through the names.

“To be my lawful wedded husband.”

The crowd cheered and the ceremony continued with the couple’s wedding vows and exchanged of rings. Then Andrew spoke up again.

“I now, by the power invested in me by the church of California, pronounce you husband and wife, in the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Goat – Ghost.”

*****

“Hey, Buff, over here!” Buffy looked up to see Willow waving her over from where she was standing a few feet away. She walked over to her friend and gave her a hug.

“What was with that priest?” Willow asked, frowning slightly. “I’m not sure he knew what he was doing.”

“He’s Anya’s cousin, just got out of the priest... school, or whatever they call it.” Buffy responded, suddenly frowning at something she saw. “Who’s that with Dawnie?” She asked, and Willow followed her gaze. When she saw the couple, she smiled.

“That’s Connor. He asked me about Dawn at your mom’s wedding. I think he likes her.”

“Well, he better not try anything, or I’d have to kill him.” Buffy announced, still keeping her eyes on her baby sister.

*****

Connor nervously walked up to Dawn. When he was right in front of her, he waved a hello. She waved back, smiling.

“(Hi, my name is C O N O R)” Connor signed, and Dawn laughed a little.

“(Hi Connor. I’m Dawn. It’s nice to meet you.)” She signed back. He got out a small book that obviously was a dictionary, and Dawn laughed even more.

*****

“Hey, anybody wanna hear my new theory on marriage?” Willow and Buffy both turned as Tara joined them. “Two people live together for a while. One day they run out of things to talk about. He asks her to marry him. Boom! They have enough things to talk about for the rest of their lives.”

“So, you think that marriage is just a way to get out of an awkward silence?” Buffy questioned.

“It’s a theory!” Tara defended.

“It could just be about love, of course.” Willow suggested.

“Really?” Tara asked, faking a frown. “I never thought of that.”

“Anybody want something to drink?” Buffy asked, feeling the need for some air.

“Sure, I’ll have some champagne.” Willow responded. “They do have that, right?”

“I think so, sweetie.” Tara responded. “I’ll have a glass, too, Buffy.”

“Coming right up!” Buffy left her friends and proceeded through the large French windows into the garden of the club, where waiters circulated among the guests. She stopped one, took three glasses of champagne from him and was about to head back in when a familiar voice stopped her.

“Hello there.” Buffy quickly turned, almost spilling the champagne, and her eyes met Spike’s.

“Hi!” She stared at him. “You’re... here.”

“Looks like, pet.” He replied.

“Sorry, I mean, you know, here in the States.” Spike chuckled at her words.

“Yep. Was invited to the wedding.”

“Of course.” Buffy smiled at him, and then remembered Willow and Tara who were waiting for their drinks. “I’ll be right back, don’t go back to England, OK?”

She practically ran through the doors, found Willow and Tara and handed them their champagne.

“See you in a couple of hours.” They looked at her questioningly. “This is a freaking great wedding!” She announced before darting off into the garden again, relieved when she found Spike where she left him.

“Hi. You’re still here.” She smiled. Spike smiled back, but she saw something in his eyes that she didn’t remember being there. Before she had a chance to analyze it, they were approached by a dark haired woman.

“There you are, my William. I was just talking to Mr. Jenkins about you.” The woman placed a kiss on Spike’s cheek before taking her place beside him, a hand in his. “And who might this be?” She asked, her eyes focused on Buffy.

“Dru, darling, I’d like you to meet Buffy Summers. She’s Joyce’s daughter.” Spike introduced, not meeting Buffy eyes. “Buffy, this is Drusilla Evans, my... fiancée.”

“It’s very nice to meet you, Buffy.” Buffy reluctantly accepted Dru’s hand, while she tried to get Spike to meet her eyes for an explanation, but he refused.

“Come on, darling.” Dru tugged at Spike’s arm. “I promised Mrs. Jenkins I would introduce you. Can’t have you running away from me, now can we?” She smiled at Buffy before pulling Spike towards where Mr and Mrs Jenkins were standing.

Buffy felt numb, like she had lost all feeling of her limbs. He was engaged? She pulled herself together and went inside the clubhouse where she managed to find a secluded couch. A few minutes after she had sat down, she was joined by Willow.

“Didn’t go too well, huh?” The red head asked, noticing the look on Buffy’s face.

“Why am I always at weddings, but never getting married myself?” Buffy asked Willow as much as herself. Willow put a supportive arm around her friends shoulders.

“Maybe you just haven’t met the right guy yet?” She suggested.

“But that’s just it. What if I have?”

*****

Buffy scanned the board with the table setting on it, looking for her name.

“Oh no. No no no.” She whimpered as she did, taking off in the direction of the table in question. Willow took a quick glance at the board, and understood why.

*****

Buffy quietly sat down at the table. She was the last to arrive, and as she sat down, nine pairs of eyes settled on her.

“Hi, it’s nice to meet you, I’m Amy.” A girl her own age reached out her hand. Buffy shook it.

“Hi, I’m Buffy.” She saw recognition in the other girl’s eyes.

“I’ve heard a lot about you.” She turned to the guy beside her. “Me and Owen actually just got back from Mexico. Didn’t you guys go there at one point?” Buffy nodded.

“Yeah, we sailed from LA to Tijuana.” That got the attention of the rest of the table.

“You’re that Owen?” A dark haired guy asked. “She talked about you all the time when we were dating. Owen the throw up. You were sea sick the entire time, weren’t you?” Buffy winced at his words.

“Parker, please.”

“What? You did talk about him!” He laughed. “Of course, it wasn’t as bad as that guy, what was his name, his dad hit on you...”

“Scott.” Another guy interrupted.

“Thanks, Richard.” Parker said. “You couldn’t figure out if it would be impolite to turn the guy’s dad down.” Parker, Richard and Owen laughed at this.

“He liked younger women.” The fourth guy at the table, Scott, announced in a low voice, and the entire table quietened down, not having realized that the guy in question was present.

*****

Buffy exhaled deeply. She had finally managed to get away from the table of doom, and had wandered into one of the hallways leading from the dining room to be alone for a while. She shouldn’t have done that.

“Buffy.” Buffy briefly closed her eyes to summon up the strength to meet the final nail in the coffin. She turned with a small smile on her lips.

“Riley.”

“How’s it going in there?” Riley leaned against the wall next to Buffy.

“OK, I guess.” Buffy sighed. “Do you ever wonder why it’s always other people getting married?”

“I don’t know. Fate I guess.”

“I don’t believe in fate.” Buffy smiled at him. “Maybe you and me should have gotten married.” Riley chuckled.

“As much as I loved you, I could never have married you. I marry you, I marry your friends, and they never liked me. Especially Angel.”

“Oh, come on, Angel liked you.” Buffy tried to defend.

“He called me Captain Cardboard.”

Buffy tried to keep a straight face.

“I never heard him say that.”

“You take care.” Riley gave her a kiss on the cheek. “I’ll see you later.”

“So, how’s Captain Cardboard?” Buffy turned to see Angel in a doorway a few feet away.

“Slightly crazy, as usual.” She replied as he came to stand beside her.

“How’s it going?” He asked.

“I’m trapped in the hell of ex-boyfriends. You?” Buffy looked over at her friend.

“Not so much, really.” He smiled at her.

“How come you’re not married?” Buffy asked. “I mean, I haven’t seen you with a girl in ages. You’re not interested in anyone?” At her question, Angel chuckled.

“I’m interested. I’ve been in love with the same girl for years. She’s not.” He said.

“Oh, I’m sorry. Anyone I know?” Buffy asked, and received a strange look.

“It’s you, Buffy.” Angel declared. “It’s always been you.”

They were both quiet for a while.

“I... I don’t know what to say, Angel, I didn’t know.”

“Hey, don’t worry about it.” Angel reassured her. “It’s fine, we’re friends, and I’ve realized a long time ago that that’s it for us. And its OK.”

They were interrupted by Willow, who just came into the hallway.

“There you guys are.” She said. “Come on, they’re cutting the cake.”

*****

Buffy leaned her forehead against the cold glass of the window. She had developed a head ache and was glad to be alone for a little while, even if she knew she would have to go back to the party soon. As she looked out into the night, not really focusing on anything, the door below the window opened, and she saw Spike and his fiancée walk out. He called a cab, and opened the door for her. Buffy turned from the window, not wanting to see more.

Buffy made her way downstairs again and joined her friends at the party. She noticed that Spike came back inside a few minutes later, without his fiancée, but chose to ignore him. Which turned out to be hard, considering the fact that she could feel him watching her the rest of the evening.

It was after midnight when Buffy finally gave up and said goodbye to her friends. She left the clubhouse and was waiting for a cab outside when she heard him.

“Not good to be out here, all alone.” She turned and saw Spike smiling at her.

“Well, I’m not alone now, am I?” She countered. “Besides, Sunnydale is a pretty quiet town.”

“Yeah, I’ve kinda picked up on that.” He joined her at the side of the road.

“I thought you left.” Buffy said.

“No, just saw Dru off is all. She had to go into LA for an early meeting in the morning.”

“Oh.” Buffy said, not quite sure how to respond to that. “Where are you staying?”

“Sunnydale Motel. I hear it’s the place to stay when in Sunnydale.” He joked. A cab stopped in front of them at that moment. He opened the door. “Care to share a cab?” Buffy didn’t know why, but she nodded and got in the cab with him.

*****

The driver stopped outside the Sunnydale Motel, and Spike opened the car door to get out, but paused, turning back to Buffy.

“Want to come up for a night cab?” He asked.

“You really think that’s a good idea?” Buffy asked, as her conscience battled with her heart.

“I think I can resist you.” Spike chuckled. “You’re not that cute.”

*****

They made it as far as the elevator before Spike crushed his lips to Buffy’s. She was surprised at first, but it didn’t take her long to respond to the kiss, and soon she was pressed against the wall of the elevator, her legs wrapped tightly around his waist. They managed to somehow get out of the elevator and into his room before ripping each other’s clothes off.

Buffy pulled back for a moment, looking into his eyes. She knew if she saw doubt or uncertainty there, that she could stop. But all she saw was desire, and something else that she didn’t dare explore any further. She pulled him close to her again and he reclaimed her mouth, letting their tongues battle for dominance as he pushed into her in one long movement. They both gasped at the familiar yet new feeling, and were soon caught up in the dance they had only experienced together once before, but that somehow felt like they had always shared.

*****

Buffy got dressed quietly, not wanting to wake Spike who was asleep in the bed. But, she realized, as she turned, trying to find her other shoe and met his blue eyes, it was too late.

“Leaving so soon, pet?” He asked in a sleepy voice. She nodded.

“Yeah.” She said, trying to avoid his eyes. “This shouldn’t have happened, and I just have to...” He cut her off.

“Hey. This wasn’t your fault. We were both in it. OK?” He locked their eyes together, and she nodded.

“OK. I still have to... go.” He nodded, and she left the room.