Author's Chapter Notes:
So, here's chapther three for you. I haven't gotten a lot of reviews, but I decided to post the entire story anyways (hint hint). Hope you like it, only one more chapter to go. Oh, the stuff inside ( ) is in sign language.
I don't own the characters or the story.
Thanks to my Beta, Nichole, for all her help.
Three


“Morning, B.” Buffy was wakened by Faith's unusually cheerful voice and the smell of coffee. She opened her eyes and was met by a tray with food along with Faith on her bed.

“Mmm, Saturday morning breakfast in bed.” She mumbled and sat up in the bed. She and Faith had a tradition, where Faith would make breakfast in bed for Buffy on Saturday mornings, and Buffy would return the favor on Sunday morning.

“So, what are you gonna do today?” Faith asked as she buttered a piece of toast.

“I am going to enjoy the fact that I, for the first time in I don’t know how long, don’t have a wedding to go to on a Saturday.” Buffy announced and reached for the mail that Faith had dropped next to her pillow. She flipped through the envelopes. “Bills, bills, bills... Oh, what’s this?” She ripped open a plain whit envelope and small card fell out. She picked it up.

‘You are hereby invited to attend the wedding between Miss Drusilla Evans and Mr William Travers.’

The announcement was followed by directions about time and place, but Buffy dropped the card before she could read it.

He was getting married? After everything that had happened, he was still getting married?

“Hey, isn’t this the guy you slept with at mom’s wedding?” Faith asked, having picked up the card. Buffy nodded, speechless.

“He sure moves fast.” Faith huffed, dropping the card.

‘You don’t know the half of it’ Buffy thought. She hadn’t told Faith about her encounter with Spike at Xander and Anya’s wedding.

“Hey, there’s some sort of list in here too.” Faith pulled out another piece of paper from the envelope and handed it to Buffy.

“Great. A list of wedding presents.” Buffy studied the piece of paper. “Guess I’m going shopping.”

*****

Buffy looked around the small store. It seemed expensive. She looked at the price tag on a small urn. It was.

“May I be of assistance, miss?” A woman in her late forties asked from behind the counter.

“I’m looking for something for the Evans/Travers wedding.” Buffy said. “Could you tell me what’s left on the list?”

“Oh, there are a number of things left in the neighbourhood of a two thousand dollars.” The sales clerk smiled.

“I see. How about the neighborhood of, say, a hundred dollars?” Buffy felt stupid, but she really couldn’t afford buying something that expensive.

“We have this lovely painting.” The clerk indicated a painting on the wall behind the counter. Buffy frowned at the motive. It seemed to have been taken from the movie ‘Dracula’ or something.

“If you can find someone to pitch in with another $ 2900, that is.” The clerk continued with a patronizing smile.

“Thanks, I think I’ll just...” Buffy turned to leave, only to bump, literally, into Spike.

“Hey there.” He smiled at her. “What’d you get?”

“Oh, I was just...” Buffy started, but was interrupted by the clerk.

“The lady was considering the wonderful Rayne painting, sir.”

Buffy rolled her eyes at the ride woman, and Spike laughed.

“Don’t bother, just get us a toaster oven or something.”

“Maybe I will.” Buffy responded, not knowing what to say next.

“Listen, could I ask you a favor?” Spike said. “A pretty big one.”

“OK...” Buffy suspiciously agreed.

*****

“I wouldn’t ask you to help me if it wasn’t important.” Buffy heard from inside the dressing room at the men’s clothes department. “It’s just, Dru wanted me to pick one out myself, and I don’t want to disappoint her, so I thought I’d get a woman’s opinion.”

“It’s fine, Spike, I wasn’t doing anything right now, anyway.” Buffy called back.

“OK. I’m coming out. Don’t laugh!”

“I won’t, promise!” Buffy vowed. And burst out laughing at the sight of him.

“You promised!” He said offended.

“I’m... I’m... sorry!” Buffy managed to get out between giggles. He was dressed in a dark blue suit with a bright blue frilly shirt underneath and a matching tie. “You look great!” She suppressed another fit of laughter, but he noticed.

“OK, not this one, then.” He said, heading back to the dressing room.

*****

“How about this?” Spike asked a couple of minutes later, emerging from the dressing room in a white suit. Buffy nodded approvingly.

“Much better. Still doesn’t really say wedding to me.” She frowned. “And it’s really white!”

“Point taken.” Spike headed back to the dressing room again.

“How about just going with the traditional?”

*****

“You mean like this?” Spike came into the waiting area where Buffy was sitting, dressed in a basic black suit with a light blue shirt and darker tie.

“Wow.” Buffy couldn’t help but stare. “I think we have a winner.” Spike smiled at her.

“Thank God! Another one, and I was ready to lose it.” He went back to get changed.

“You should thank your lucky star that you don’t have to lick out a wedding dress!” Buffy called after him.

*****

“Thanks for the help.” Spike said as they left the store. “Really appreciated it.”

“No big.” Buffy shrugged. “Didn’t have anything better to do.”

“So, can I buy you a cup of coffee, as a thank you?” Spike asked, and Buffy nodded.

“Sure, coffee sounds great, I have to meet my sister, but that’s not until...” She glanced at her watch. “Fifteen minutes ago! Crap!”

“I’m sorry, it’s all my fault, I shouldn’t have kept you this long.” Spike apologized.

“No, no it’s not your fault. I just lost track of time. I do that. A lot.” Buffy smiled at him. “But you are going to have to help me get out of this one.”

*****

Buffy ran the last few feet to where Dawn was standing.

“(I am so sorry! I lost track of time!)” She gave her sister a hug.

“(What else is new?)” Dawn asked, an annoyed look on her face.

“(Sorry! I was helping Spike to pick out a suit for his wedding.)” Buffy indicated Spike, and he offered Dawn his hand.

“Hi.” He said, getting a smile and a wave back before Dawn turned to Buffy.

“(Isn’t he the guy you slept with after mom and Giles’s wedding?)” Dawn questioned.

“What’s she saying?” Spike asked.

“She just asked if you were at our mom’s wedding.” Buffy replied. “(Yes, that’s him. And he’s getting married.)”

“(What a jerk! But I have to admit, you do have good taste in guys. What a hottie!)” Dawn gave Spike an appreciative look.

“I told her you’re getting married.” Buffy said to Spike.

“Oh, you should come to the wedding.” Spike said to Dawn, and Buffy translated. Dawn nodded, agreeing.

“OK, it was nice meeting you, but I have to get going. See both of you at the wedding.” Spike waved a goodbye and left.

*****


“Spike, wait!” Buffy ran faster than she knew she could, trying to catch up with Spike. She could see him through the crowd, but he had apparently not heard her.

“Spike!” He turned at the sound, and spotted Buffy, running towards him.

“Hey, what’s wrong?” He asked as she stopped in front of him, desperately trying to catch her breath.

“Nothing... I... just... had... to...” Buffy inhaled deeply a few times before continuing. “I... I know you’re getting married, and... I not... I just had to...” She pulled him down to her and gave him a breathtaking kiss before pulling back again.

“I think I’m in love with you.” She was quiet for a few seconds. “And just forget I said that, I’ll be going now.” She turned and ran back the way she came, leaving a stunned and confused Spike behind.

*****

“Hey guys!” Buffy joined her friends who were gathered in a corner of the Evan’s mansion in one of Sunnydale’s nicer neighbourhood. “What’s up?”

“We’re just talking about marriage, and weddings.” Willow replied. “You know, going with the theme of the evening.”

“I was just pointing out that none of us are married.” Tara explained to Buffy.

“Well, it’s not cause we don’t try!” Angel declared. “I think I’ve asked every girl I know to marry me.”

“You haven’t asked me.” Faith interjected.

“I’m sorry, Faith, would you like to marry me?” Angel asked, smiling.

“No, thanks, Angel, but it’s nice of you to ask.” Faith replied.

“I’m making it our mission for tonight!” Tara announced. “Go find your better halves!”

*****

“Hey, B.” Faith joined Buffy where she was sitting at one of the tables in the large dining room. “What you doing?”

“I was just contemplating the wonder that is marriage.” Buffy replied. “It amazes me how two people can find each other, out of all the billions of people in the world, and know they were meant to be together.”

“Well, if you look at it that way...” Faith said.

“How do you mean?” Buffy asked.

“I mean, if you’re looking for that perfect, lightning and thunder, can’t think kind of love, you might be waiting a long time. Me, I would settle for a nice guy who took care of me and didn’t look too bad, you know.”

“I guess...” Buffy mumbled, staring into the crowd, but not really seeing any of the people there.

*****

“Ladies and gentlemen, could I have your attention please.” Spike stepped up on a chair so that everyone could see him. “Good.”

“First of all, I would like to thank everyone from England who flew in for this. Thank you all for coming. And to all the Americans, who came despite the fact that there would be a bunch of loud obnoxious British people here, thanks to you too.” The crowd laughed at his words.

“If my dear mother had been here today, I know what she would have said. William, I love you and I want you to be happy, but why on Earth are you marrying that craze woman? And I would have told her this; because I love her.” Spike raised his glass of champagne in the air. “To my wife, Drusilla.”

“To Drusilla.” The crowd echoed. Spike gave Drusilla a kiss before helping her to step up on the chair he had left.

“Hello, all. I would like to thank you for coming to my wedding. From now on, I’ll be inviting you to all of my weddings.” The crowd laughed again, and Buffy decided it was time to tune out. She turned as someone laid a hand on her shoulder and saw Tara.

“How you doing, sweetie?” The other girl asked, smiling.

“I’m OK. I knew what I did coming here, I’ll have to face the consequences.” Buffy sighed. “I didn’t think it would be this hard, though.”

“You love him.” It wasn’t a question as much as a statement.

“I thought I did.” Buffy nodded. “But I don’t even know if I know what love is.”

“You’ll figure it out, sweetie, trust me. And then there won’t be any question about it.” Tara squeezed Buffy’s shoulder.

“Thanks. I knew I could count on you.” Buffy smiled at Tara, but she didn’t smile back. Instead, an expression of pain swept across her face before she tumbled to the ground. Buffy dropped to her knees beside her.

“Tara, sweetie, what’s wrong?” Tara didn’t respond. Buffy shook her carefully. “Tara, please wake up.”

*****

Buffy stood next to Willow and watched the white coffin being loaded into the back of the car that would take it to the church. She had a supporting hand around Willow’s shoulders, and could feel the other girl shaking with tears. She led Willow to the other car in the street, and they got in.

*****

“Dearly beloved. We are gathered here today to say our goodbyes to a loved daughter, Tara McClay. Before I begin the ceremony, Tara’s friend and life partner, Willow, would like to say a few words.” The priest stepped down and Willow took her place behind the coffin.

“Hi.” She could barely hold back her tears, but didn’t stop. “Tara always said that she preferred funerals over weddings. Said it was more fun to attend a ceremony you actually had a chance of ever being a part of.” The crowd laughed a little.

“A lot of people have called me to tell me about the Tara they knew. One thing that came up a lot was shy. And quiet. So, I guess that’s how all of you will remember her. Shy and quiet. All I ask is that you don’t remember her like this, in a box in a church because of a weak heart. And how will I remember her? I don’t have the words for that, so I decided to borrow them.”

“Stop all the clocks, cut off the telephone,
Prevent the dog from barking with a juicy bone,
Silence the pianos and with muffled drum
Bring out the coffin, let the mourners come.

Let aeroplanes circle moaning overhead
Scribbling on the sky the message She Is Dead,
Put crepe bows round the white necks of the public doves,
Let the traffic policemen wear black cotton gloves.

She was my North, my South, my East and West,
My working week and my Sunday rest,
My noon, my midnight, my talk, my song;
I thought that love would last for ever; I was wrong.

The stars are not wanted now: put out every one;
Pack up the moon and dismantle the sun;
Pour away the ocean and sweep up the wood,
For nothing now can ever come to any good.”



The poem is “Funeral Blues” by W.H. Auden.