Author's Chapter Notes:
Last chapter up! Hope you've enjoyed the story!

I don't own any of the characters.

Thanks to Nichole for all her help with the story.
Four

Buffy swapped at the offending alarm clock on her bed side table and sighed in relief when the sound stopped. She turned in the bed to go back to sleep, but her idea was interrupted by another alarm clock. And another, and another. Confused, Buffy sat up in the bed. Around her room, there were maybe a dozen alarm clocks, and they were all ringing. Faith opened the door to her room.

“Good, you’re up. I set a few extra clocks, just to be sure.” She turned in the door. “Come on, I’ve got breakfast ready.”

Buffy moaned and stuck her head under the cover for a moment, before she realized what day it was and bolted up from the bed.

Faith handed her a plate of scrambled eggs as she entered the kitchen.

“So, ready to get married?” She asked.

“Yeah. I think so.” Buffy nodded. “What time is it?”

“Quarter to eleven. Fourty five minutes til I do.”

Buffy jumped off the chair she was sitting on at Faith’s words.

“What? Why didn’t you wake me up earlier? I have to get ready!” She stormed out of the kitchen.

*****

Buffy was out of the car before it stopped in front of the church, and was running up the path to the doors when she heard the church bells. Nine dings. Buffy stopped dead in her tracks and turned back to the car, where her friends were all laughing. Dawn snapped a picture of her.

“You... you bastards! You tricked me!” Buffy yelled, furious and amused at the same time.

“Sorry, B, didn’t know any other way to get you here in time!” Faith yelled from the car.

*****

Buffy was sitting in a small room, surrounded by her friends. She was looking out the window at the people arriving.

“So, Buff. You the first of us to get married. Who would’ve thought?” Cordy said.

“I was afraid that Dawnie would beat you to it, actually.” Faith announced. Dawn and Connor, who was also in the room, had been dating for the past couple of months.

“No way I was gonna let my baby sister get married before me!” Buffy declared. Everyone laughed.

“But seriously, how does it feel?” Willow asked.

“It feels good. Right.” Buffy said.

“Well, I want to make a toast.” Angel raised his glass of champagne that Faith had smuggled in to them. “To Buffy and Captain Cardboard.” The others raised their glasses as well. Buffy smiled at Angel.

“You realize you’re going to have to stop calling him that, don’t you?”

*****

Buffy was standing in the lobby of the church. The ceremony was about to start, and she was waiting for Giles, who was giving her away. She turned when the door behind her opened. And her eyes widened.

“Hey, pet.” Spike smiled the smile that made her weak in the knees.

“Hi. What are you doing here?” Buffy asked, slightly shocked.

“Was invited.” Spike replied. “Remember?”

“Right.” Buffy nodded. “So, where’s your wife?”

“Oh.” Spike ran his fingers through his hair. “That didn’t work out. Divorce was final a couple of weeks ago.”

“What? What happened?” Buffy asked.

“She was cheating on me. Had been all along, apparently.”

“Oh, I’m sorry.” Buffy offered him a sympathetic smile.

“Look, I shouldn’t have come here. I just thought... I don’t know what I thought.” Spike turned to leave.

“No, wait!” Buffy grabbed his arm. “Stay. We’ll talk later, OK?” He nodded.

“OK.”

“Good. Why don’t you go inside?” Buffy opened the door into the church for him.

*****

Giles opened the door to the church, and the wedding march started. He indicated to the band to stop, and walked quickly up the aisle and over to where Joyce was sitting.

“We seem to have lost the bride!” He whispered.

*****

Buffy heard a knock on the door, and reluctantly went to open it. She knew she couldn’t hide forever. Behind the door was Dawn.

“(Hi.)” Dawn signed and walked into the room. “(What’s wrong?)”

“(I just saw Spike. He got divorced.)” Buffy replied. Dawn sat down beside her and put an arm around Buffy’s shoulder.

“(What are you going to do?)” She asked.

“(I don’t know! I don’t know what to do!)”

“(Well, the way I see it, you have three choices.)” Buffy waited for Dawn to continue. “(One: You go through with the wedding.)” Buffy nodded. “(Two: You call it off.)”

“(OK. And the third?)” Buffy asked.

“(That’s all I can think of.)”

“(Thanks.)” Buffy hugged her sister.

*****

“Dearly beloved. We are gathered here today to witness the union between Buffy and Riley.” Buffy shot a look at Riley beside her. “If anyone has a reason as to why these to should not be married, speak now.”

A knocking was heard in the church. Everyone turned to see where it came from, and Dawn stood up in her bench.

“(What Dawnie?)” Buffy asked.

“(Will you translate for me?)” Dawn signed.

“Buffy, what’s going on?” The priest asked.

“She wants me to translate for her.” Buffy replied, turning back to Dawn.

“(I think the bride would like to postpone the wedding.)” Dawn signed.

“I think the bride would like to postpone the wedding.” Buffy translated.

“(I think the bride is in love with someone else.)” Dawn continued.

“I think the bride is... in love with someone else.” Buffy said.

“Is that true?” Riley asked. “Buffy?” She turned to face him.

“I’m sorry, Riley, I can’t do this.” Everyone stared as Buffy ran out of the church.

*****

“I can’t believe you did that.” Faith said where she was sitting next to Buffy on the couch in their living room.

“Join the club.” Buffy replied, staring into space.

Suddenly, the doorbell sounded through the apartment, and Willow headed to the door to open it. Buffy stopped her.

“No. I should do it, it’s my mess.” Buffy opened the door to reveal a soaking wet Spike.

“What... what are you doing here?” She asked.

“I’m sorry, I just had to see you.” He said.

“Come in.” Buffy stepped aside to let him in, but he shook his head.

“No, I shouldn’t... I’ll just... go.” He turned to leave, but Buffy grabbed him and closed the door behind her, stepping out into the rain.

“You’ll get wet.” Spike noticed.

“I don’t care.”

“I’m sorry I showed up like that, I ruined your wedding day.” Spike said, remorse in his voice.

“No, you didn’t. I never should have agreed to marry Riley. It was just, after Tara died, I started to feel... desparate, I guess. I didn’t want to be alone.” Buffy admitted.

“Me neither.” Spike said, raising his hand and tucking a strand of Buffy’s now soaked through hair behind her ear.

“Really?” She asked, keeping her eyes locked in his.

“Really.” He replied in a whisper before he leaned in and kissed her, both of them forgetting about the rain.