Author's Chapter Notes:
This is the last chapter of this part of the story. Let me know if you want to read the two sequels, and I'll post them!
Don't own any of the characters.
What to expect?


Buffy shivered a little as doctor Harrison spread some cold gel on her stomach. The other woman smiled. It was Buffy’s first visit to the doctor, and she was doing an ultra sound to determine the stage of the pregnancy.

“It’s a little cold, I know. It’ll warm up to your body in a moment.”

She brought a strange looking machine over to where Buffy was lying, and placed a staff-shaped object against Buffy’s lower abdomen. A rapid thumping sounded through the room. Buffy gave the doctor a scared look.

“What’s that?”

“That’s the heart beat.” The doctor pointed at the machine, and Buffy saw a monitor where something blurry was showed. Doctor Harrison indicated a small blob on the screen. “And here’s your baby.”

Buffy felt tears rise in her eyes as she watched the picture. She couldn’t see what the doctor saw, but she knew, by instinct, that this was her child.

*****

“I got the stuff you wanted.” Xander dropped a brown grocery bag on the kitchen counter and slumped down on a chair, eyelids sliding closed.

“Xander, you can’t sleep here!” Buffy nudged Xander on the shoulder while she pulled the pint of strawberry cheesecake Ben & Jerry’s ice cream out of the bag, quickly followed by a jar of extra crunchy peanut butter. “Thanks, sweetie!”

“Umghwlkrn.” Xander answered, putting his head down on the kitchen table. Buffy had called him half an hour ago, at three thirty in the morning, asking him to go to the store for her.

“Xander, I made the couch for you.” Buffy said, shaking Xander awake. His head shot up and he blinked furiously.

“What? I’m up!” Buffy giggled at him.

“I said I made the couch for you, go sleep.” She watched as he, half asleep, wandered into the living room. “And thanks for the food!” She called after him, getting another inaudible mumble in return.

Buffy smiled. Ever since Xander had gotten over the fact that Spike was the father of Buffy’s baby, he had been extremely helpful, from taking Buffy to every doctor’s appointment to, like now, running out in the middle of the night to get her whatever she was craving. Which at the moment, in the fourth month of the pregnancy, was everything from pickles to fried bananas.

*****
“Dawn! Dawn, you home!” Buffy yelled as she closed the front door behind her, not taking her eyes of the black and white photo in her hands. She had just been to her five month check-up and had gotten an ultra sound picture to bring home.

Dawn had been excited when Buffy told her about the pregnancy. When she found out about Spike, she had been a little mad, and Buffy found out Xander had told her about what had happened in the bathroom. As soon as Buffy had convinced Dawn that she had forgiven Spike, and that it was OK for Dawn to forgive him as well, she had gone back to the excited aunt-to-be state.

“What’s with all the yelling?” Dawn asked, coming down the stairs.

Buffy sat down on the couch and motioned for Dawn to come over.

“Come look at this.” Dawn sat down next to Buffy on the couch, and looked at the item in her sister’s hand.

“Is that the baby?” She asked, taking the photo from Buffy.

“Yep. The doctor asked if I wanted a picture. See, there’s the head.” Buffy pointed to the picture. “And that’s the arms, and the legs.”

“Well, I can’t really see anything, but I’ll take your word for it.” Dawn looked in amazement. “I can’t believe I’m going to be an aunt.”

“Hey, feel that?” Buffy took one of Dawn’s hands and placed it on her stomach. Dawn quickly pulled it back again.

“What was that?” Buffy laughed.

“The baby moved. It started a couple of days ago, the doctor said it would be moving a lot soon.”

“Wow. I can’t believe there’s actually a little person in there.”

*****

“Hello?” Buffy said into the phone while poring herself a glass of orange juice.

“Oh, hi Giles... yes I had one yesterday... yes, you can tell the sex in the sixth month, and no, I’ve already told you I don’t want to know, I’ll find out soon enough.” Buffy looked at the ultra sound picture that was pinned to the fridge.

“Yes, everything was fine, still a heartbeat... sorry, just kidding... I know you don’t like it when I joke about it, but it’s just so much fun... you’re cleaning your glasses aren’t you?” Buffy giggled at the thought. Giles had taken the news about Buffy’s pregnancy almost better than she had, and was now very much involved, from across the Atlantic, of course, but still. He had promised to be there for the birth, though, and Buffy was thankful for that. Considering the nature of her pregnancy, even if they knew the baby was human and not a vampire, Buffy had decided on a home birth, and Willow and Tara were training to be midwifes. Even Anya was helping as much as she could.

“OK... I’ll tell the others you said hi, and I’ll talk to you soon.” Buffy hung up the phone and looked at the picture, tracing the outlines of the tiny body she knew was there. Her baby.

*****

“Dawn, you gonna get that?” Buffy called after the second ring of the doorbell. Not getting an answer, she sighed and pushed herself up from the chair she had been sitting on, groaning a little when the familiar pain shot through her back. It had been getting worse in the past couple of weeks, and she was still only seven months pregnant. ‘Just two more months to go’ Buffy thought to herself as she walked through the house ‘You’ve made it this far, you can do it’.

As she walked up to the front door, she heard the sound of Dawn’s music from upstairs. The door bell sounded one more time, and Buffy reached for the doorknob.

“Alright, I’m coming.”



AN: I'm adding this authors note after reading your reviews (thanks a lot, by the way). This story is a little weird, the thing is I have two sequels, but they are paralell. Am I making sense? In one of the stories, Spike comes back after a couple of months, in the other after sixteen years. The sequels are kalled 'Family' and 'Making things right' and I will try to post them this weekend! Thanks again for all the reviews.