Buffy woke slowly, her body still tired, but definitely sated. Then she peered over at Spike who lay slumbering next to her. Maybe not so sated. She wanted him again, which was a marvel to her considering they’d spent the night making love off and on. Which accounted for her tiredness. She’d lost count of how many times she’d been woken by him to make love to her.

Glancing at the clock, her eyes bugged. She was to pick up Lindsey in a half an hour. “Spike,” she shook him. “Get up.”

He moaned in protest and reached out, pulling her into his arms, burrowing further under the covers with her. “No. Sleep with my Buffy.”

“Spike, I have to go. I can’t stay and sleep,” she said trying to detangle herself from him.


He held her fast, his eyes popping open, “What do you mean?” he demanded.

“Lindsey, remember? I have to pick her up in a half hour. You have to drive me, I don’t have my car.”

He loosened his grip, and smiled sheepishly. “Sorry, luv. Just got a little tense there for a minute.”

Buffy crawled out of bed and went in hunt of her clothes.

“Buffy?”

She looked down at him, propped up on his elbows, the sheet falling to his waist. God, he was gorgeous. “Yeah?”

“You all right?”

She softened, realizing she was probably coming off as too abrupt and edgy. Her responsibility to her daughter had propelled her forward, not taking the time to think of much else once she’d realized she was going to be late. She just didn’t want to inconvenience her neighbor, as she’d been nice enough to take her daughter for the night as it was. Not being able to lounge and possibly make love again was not the morning after neither of them wanted; or needed.

“I’m sorry, baby. I wasn’t thinking. I just got it in my head to get Lindsey. I wasn’t thinking—“

“Say that again,” he said, interrupting her.

“Huh?”

“Baby. You called me baby. Can you say it again?”

She smiled, “Baby.”

He smiled, a huge smile that lit up his whole face and he jumped out of bed, scooping her into his arms and giving her a sloppy, wet kiss. She giggled and pushed at him. “Dress!”

He grinned and set about the task of gathering his own clothes.

They were ready to go in record time and shot out the door. Spike reached over as he drove and took her hand in his, kissing the back of it. “I love you, Buffy.”

She squeezed his hand, “I know.”

“And I’ll wait, you know. Until you can say it back to me? I’ll wait.”

“I know.”

“Last night was okay, right?” he asked tentatively.

“Yes, baby, it was. More than okay,” she assured him grinning.

“Oh yes,” he agreed nodding, “More than okay. Couldn’t get enough of you. Could never get enough of you.”

“I find I’m pretty insatiable when it comes to you too,” she admitted soflty.

He smiled broadly, “That works out well then cause I’m never letting you go now.”

“Oh fucking perfect,” Spike muttered as he watched Fred and Angel stare at each other. Angel was starting to resemble a lovesick fool as he stood there gaping at Fred. Not that he, Spike, was any better when it came to Buffy, but since this was Angel he was ridiculing silently, it was okay to overlook such things.

“What are you doing here?” Angel finally managed.

“I’m here with William.”

Spike waited, wanting to see if she would elaborate, and half hoping she wouldn’t. If she said she knew all this time, it’d incriminate him and he wasn’t too sure how Angel would take that. Though, by looking at Angel and the sappy face he was currently sporting, something told him he wouldn’t have noticed if Spike reached out and smacked him. An idea that had its appeal.

“Will, do you know who this is?”

“Winnie,” Spike supplied. “I figured it out, seeing as you said her name already. Plus, the look on your face giving most, if not all of it away—“

Angel stepped back, and made his way around the car, opening the passenger side door and taking Fred’s hand to guide her out. “It’s been so long,” he whispered as he looked upon her.

“Maybe you forget that you have a wife in the house,” Spike hissed. “What are you doing making moon eyes all over her for in your yard, you stupid git?”

Angel continued to stare at Fred. “It’s been so long, Winnie,” he murmured.

“Yeah, so I’ve heard,” Spike said dryly. “Where’s Lindsey and Buffy?”

“Pull yourselves together before they see you,” Spike reprimanded them and took off to the house having a very bad feeling.


“Daddy! Mommy!” Lindsey ran outside to meet them.

Her neighbor, Willow Rosenberg, smiled and waved. “She was up early this morning waiting for you.”

Spike held out his arms and Lindsey flew into them, laughing the whole time.

“Sorry we’re so late, Willow,” Buffy told her.

“It’s all right. She was fun to have. Her and my Osbourne Junior had a ball. Anytime you want to have her come over to play, is fine. It’ll be good for him to get used to being around other kids,” Willow explained.

“Thanks again,” Buffy told her and stepped up to the porch where Willow stood while Spike frolicked in the yard with Lindsey. Buffy handed her a check. “And anytime you need someone to watch Osbourne Junior—“

“Oz is fine,” Willow said, smiling.

Buffy grinned, “Anytime you need me – or William – to watch Oz, just let us know.”

“Sure thing. Thanks, Buffy.”

“Have a good one,” Buffy said and started back to her family. That thought froze her for a second. It came, unbidden. Don’t get ahead of yourself, Summers, she thought. Yeah, but he is her father the voice in her head shot back. Not ready for anything else right now, she volleyed back, just taking things slow. That seemed to quiet the voice within her and she went to join Spike and her daughter.

Spike, it seemed, was not willing to leave them that day and Buffy had to wonder if he was afraid she would have a moment of regret for the night before and wanted to be there just in case. There were a lot of things that Buffy regretted in her life, sleeping with Spike the night before was not one of them.

She showered and dressed and then stayed with Lindsey while he did the same. If Lindsey suspected anything, she didn’t say. Buffy marveled at how her daughter seemed to just take things in stride. Even with finding out that Angel was not her father; Lindsey didn’t bat an eye about it.

“Lindsey, are you very happy that Daddy is your Daddy?” Buffy asked her as she sat next to her at the kitchen table and colored with her.

Lindsey nodded, “Yup. He plays with me. He loves me; he tells me so all the time.”

Buffy smiled, “Do you miss uh, Uncle Angel at all?”

Lindsey shrugged, “Not really. He was a little scary, momma.”

“How so, baby?”

“He didn’t play with me, he didn’t like it when I was loud. Daddy lets me shout at the top of my lungs sometimes when we play. My old Daddy made me go to my room a lot and be quiet.”

Buffy felt the urge to hit Angel all over again. It made her wonder if in some way, Lindsey knew all along. They say children are intuitive to things, much more so than adults. She’d had a bond with Spike that she’d never had with Angel.

“You love Daddy too, right Mommy?” Lindsey asked, throwing her off guard completely.

“I like him very much, baby,” Buffy assured her.

Lindsey smiled brightly up at her. Then looked past her. “Do you love Mommy, Daddy?”

Buffy turned to see Spike, leaning against the doorway. He looked at Buffy, “I love Mommy very much, poppet.”

“Does that mean we’re all a family now?” Lindsey asked.

Buffy swallowed and wondered how to answer that one.

“All families are different, poppet. But yes, we are a family of sorts in that we all care about each other and both Mommy and me love you very much,” Spike explained, coming to sit down at the table with them.

Lindsey nodded thoughtfully. “That sounds good to me,” she stated and went back to coloring.

Buffy looked over at Spike and mouthed “Thank you.”

“Anything for you, Buffy, you know that,” he whispered and took her hand in his.