“What?” Buffy murmured, looking up at Spike, still mindless from their heated coupling.

“What did Doyle want?”

“You can actually think after that?”

He grinned and kissed her sweetly. “My mind is a little blown right now. I’m a little scattered.”

She smiled back. “I can understand that. He has tonight free to go to the gallery on campus and wanted to know if I can make it.”

“Oh.”

“But I’ll tell him no.”

“Is this the only night he can do it until class?”

“Yes,” she said slowly.

“Go, Buffy.”

“You want me to go?”

“No, I don’t want you to go necessarily, but you have to. You just started last night, you don’t want to skip out on your first homework assignment.”

“Wow,” she breathed, amazed.

He shrugged. “School is important to you, it took a lot for you to go back and I don’t want you to compromise it.”

“But Lindsey—“

“I’m her father, remember?” he teased.

“I know...I just didn’t know if you had things you had to do.”

He leered at her. “The only thing I have to do is make love to you when you come back. Any plans I had are of no consequence to me now.”

“Spike—“

“Buffy, all I was going to do was go home and watch TV. I was actually going to try and see if I could have stayed here and watched it with you, but now...” he kissed her, “now, I just want to make love to you. Can I?”

“Like you have to ask,” she murmured.

“Daddy!” rang out Lindsey’s voice.

Their eyes widened, and quickly they dove to dress.

”Stay up there, Princess!” Spike yelled and slipped his shirt on.

“I’m going to the bathroom,” Buffy told him and dashed to the downstairs half bath to clean up while Spike took Lindsey duty.

Gonna find my baby, gonna hold on tight, gonna grab some afternoon delight... Buffy sang in her mind, happily.

********


The day had gone fantastic from there on out. Buffy couldn’t keep the smile blooming off her face. And while she still felt that niggling in the back of her mind that something could go wrong, she was struck with the thought that yes, something could happen, but if it did, they’d deal with it. It wouldn’t be the end of the world. They’d dealt with the worst of it, she was sure. Short of him cheating on her, she really did not forsee any big problems. They’d made it out of the woods, and everything from that moment in the kitchen on, was cake.

Lorne would be so proud.

So, for the rest of the afternoon until she was to meet Doyle on campus, she, Lindsey and Spike spent the day together as a family. Granted, they couldn’t do much with Lindsey still a bit under the weather, but once in a while they’d sneak off to kiss each other senseless. And when Lindsey caught them kissing in the kitchen at one point when she wanted juice, it didn’t even phase her. She just calmly asked for juice. From that point on, Spike and Buffy were free to share affection in front of her – they didn’t make out with tongues down each other’s throats, but they would peck each other on the lips, smile warmly at each other or find some way to innocently touch each other.

When Lindsey wanted to watch Cinderella with the both of them, again, she insisted on sitting between them and twining each arm through theirs. They watched the movie together as a team it appeared.

When Buffy left later that evening, Spike walked her to her car while Lindsey colored a picture for her mom. Spike wrapped his arms around her and held her tight.

“Tell me you love me,” he requested softly.

“I love you.”

“I might ask you that a lot.”

“I don’t mind saying it. It’s long overdue.”

“You know...I’d like to meet this Lorne fella.”

Buffy pulled back and looked up at him. “Really?”

“Really. He helped you, and in turn, me.”

Buffy swatted him playfully and Spike chuckled. “But really,” he continued, “I know that you have worked through a lot of stuff and I’m proud of you for that. Maybe one day, you’ll share?”

Buffy shrugged, non committal, still feeling that some of what she talked about in therapy were things she wanted to keep to herself and just didn’t need to be shared with anyone. “Maybe some of it, one day.”

“That’s all I ask. I know that most of that is private.”

“I have appreciated your support in all of that, Spike.”

“I knew you were unhappy. I was willing to try whatever you needed to make you happy.”

“I’m sorry that it took me so long to figure out that I needed you in the equation to help make me happy.”

He put a finger to her lips. “No more of that, no apologies anymore.”

“I can’t help it. I went so long without giving you any when you deserved them, I want to make it up to you.”

“Make it up to me by hurrying home so I can make love to you.”

“Yes, sir,” she said and saluted him.

He grinned devilishly, “Oh I like that.”

She laughed and climbed in the car. “Bye, Romeo.”

He smirked, “How appropriate.”

********


“You’re exceptionally happy, and even I can tell that even though I barely know you. You’re glowing,” Doyle remarked after they finished with their project.

Buffy grinned as they walked to their cars. “Sorry. Is it disgusting? Does it make you want to throw up?”

Doyle chuckled. “No, it doesn’t make me want to throw up. It’s a guy, right?”

“It is. Today we...we got together after a long hiatus.”

“Had some problems?”

“Yeah, but we came out on the other side, so it’s all good.”

“I’m actually jealous,” Doyle said honestly.

“Jealous, why?”

“My girlfriend and I broke up not too long ago and ...and I really miss her. Things just got out of hand and somehow what we argued about got even more messed up. It was like we were just yelling at each other and not really even hearing what the other had to say. I don’t know about her, but I regret the things I’d said.”

“How long ago did this happen?”

“A few weeks ago. I’ve tried calling her, but she’s so far avoided my calls.”

“Have you tried to see her? You know, short of stalking her?”

”No. I was just really hoping it’d blow over...and it hasn’t.” He sighed, “I miss her.”

“Write a letter or an email. Get your thoughts in order and get them out on paper. Sometimes things come out better on paper than they do in person.”

“I hadn’t tried that, actually.”

“Maybe she just needs some time to cool off and get her own thoughts together. If you can find a way to let her know that you want to work on this, in a non-aggressive way at this point, I think she’d come around in time.”

Doyle smiled, “Thanks, Buffy. I appreciate it.”

“Don’t forget to tell her how much you love her, Doyle. When we get angry or hurt, we often forget those things, and that is the most important thing to keep in mind.”

“I won’t.”

Buffy smiled to herself as she climbed in the car. She actually gave advice! Maybe the universe was spinning off its axis...

Or, maybe she was evolving. Yes, she’d go with that. She was growing and evolving, and it felt fucking great.

********


Entering her dark home, Buffy cautiously looked around. “Spike?” she called softly so as not to wake Lindsey.

“Up here.”

She looked up to see him, shirtless and smiling, standing at the top of the stairs. Grinning, Buffy chucked her coat and purse, kicked off her sandals and started up the stairs in pursuit of him. When she reached him, she threw her arms around him. “Hi.”

“Oh, Buffy,” he said softly, “I love that.”

”Love what?”

”The way you just greeted me. You don’t know how happy it makes me to have you do that.”

“If I do it all the time, it could get old.”

“Never,” he told her huskily and caught her lips in a voracious kiss. “Come on, luv.”

Leading her into the bedroom, Buffy gasped with delight when she found the room lit only with what seemed a million votive candles—vanilla scented, her favorite.

“It’s not much, I know, but I didn’t have a chance—“

She shushed him the same way he had earlier, by placing a finger over his mouth. “Trust me, this is more than you know who ever did.”

“Are you hungry? I could make something for you.”

“Spike, are you nervous?”

He grinned, shifting on his feet, “I am. I ...it’s you.”

“We’ve done it before. You weren’t nervous this afternoon.”

“I was in a jealous haze this afternoon, and I’ve been flying high since you said you loved me...you did mean that, right?”

“I meant it,” she assured him. “And I do want to eat.”

“Okay, well –“

She grabbed him and pulled him to her. “You, I want to eat you.”

He groaned, “Buffy.”

“Yeah, there’s my guy. I like my passionate guy.”

“Love, you love your passionate guy.”

“I love you,” she murmured before claiming his lips.

They made it to the bed, falling onto it together and Buffy rolled so that she was on top of him. Straddling him, she looked down at him. “So. What shall I do to you first?” she asked and slid a finger down his chest, flicking across his nipples.

He arched into her chest. “That’s a good start.”

Leaning over him, she used her mouth instead of her fingers and smiled when she heard his sharp intake of breath.

“I want to feel you,” he murmured and tugged on her shirt. She helped him by lifting it and tossing it over her head and then squashing herself against him, kissing him languidly and sensually.

This time, he rolled them so she was under him. He stared down at her, cupping the side of her face, gazing at her intently. “Buffy...”

“Yes?”

“I love you so much, baby. You know that, right? You know I love you, right? Would never do anything to intentionally hurt you...”

“I know.”

“I don’t want to be apart from you again.”

“I don’t want to be apart from you either.”

That seemed to put him at ease for the moment. Buffy knew that they still had a lot to work on, but that they were on the way now at least. They were being honest with one another; they loved each other, and they were in a good place now. Together.

Cupping one breast, Spike bent and suckled the other in his mouth. “Christ, I missed you,” he murmured against her skin.

“I missed you too,” she whispered, grazing her fingers in his silky blond locks.

“Dreamt of you every night, kitten. Looked forward to seeing you everyday. Hated that I fucked up so bad...”

“Spike, please,” she pleaded near tears.

He looked up at her, his hands inching down slowly. “I’m sorry, baby.”

“Make love to me,” she whispered.

“Always. Forever.”

“Yes, yes, forever,” she agreed, as his mouth made a path down her chest to her belly and then further while he pulled her pants off. He kissed her through her panties, and soon those too were discarded. He made love to her pussy with his mouth, showing her what he was going to do with his cock, using his tongue. With every stroke of his tongue inside her and then circling her clit, Buffy was brought closer and closer, and then when his finger sunk inside her, she grabbed the pillow above her and screamed into it.

“Oh, god, you taste so good,” Spike murmured, lapping up her juices.

“You...You...” she said, reaching for him.

“Rendered you speechless, baby?” he asked, grinning down at her as he straddled her, his pants suddenly missing in her orgasmic haze.

“Yes. Your turn.”

“As much as I want that, I want to be inside you again, Buffy...” he positioned himself at her entrance, “May I?”

She nodded eagerly, and he slid in slowly, causing a long moan to escape her. Nuzzling her neck, Spike started using long, slow strokes to build up the tension inside her.

She was putty in his hands, her body striving for the release that only he could provide her. When it became too much and she felt like a live wire, she demanded it harder and faster. He complied, pressing his forehead against hers.

“Buffy...Buffy, I love you so much...”

“I love you too, Spike, I love you...” she replied, thrusting back at him, his cock hitting that secret spot inside of her. “Spike...I’m going to cum...”

“Do it, Buffy. Cum all over my cock.”

His heated words sent her over the edge and she swore, as clichéd as it sounded, she saw stars. She screamed his name into his shoulder, and he came a second after her, burying his face in her neck.

“God, Buffy...” he muttered. “Everytime...I touch heaven.”

Rolling him onto his back, she grinned down at him. “Wanna touch heaven again?”