The Surrogate
By
Mercy

Chapter 12

Secrets

8.45am

Buffy turned slightly in her sleep as she snuggled closer to the source of warmth at her back, pulling the bedcovers as close to her as she could. She let out a quiet sigh, as the arm that wrapped itself around her waist moved to her abdomen and softly rubbed her tummy. Spike, half-awake touched her abdomen to reassure himself that the baby was real and Buffy still lay by his side, and that neither had been a dream. He swirled his hands lazily upon her abdomen, he moved himself closer to her as he felt her snuggling in closer to him, he heard her sigh and felt a gentle wave motion under his hand. His eyes popped open along with his mouth as the motion of the waves increased until he felt a kick. He pulled himself up and hauled the linen aside.

Spike gently lifted Buffy’s nightshirt from her body and watched the rippling motion of the baby moving under her skin. He then replaced his hand on the skin of her abdomen and waited to feel his son or daughter move within her. He didn’t have to wait long until he got his ‘hello dad’ from the baby, the cheeky smirk on his face showed the pride he felt in the little one’s creation, and in the end this was what it was all about. Being with his family.

A hand came to rest over his as the baby became more active, Buffy guided his hand to feel the movements of the baby as she felt the life move inside of her. She always knew where the little one was going to strike next, sometimes she wondered if she was going to last the nine months, it seemed like the baby wanted ‘out now’. It was extra comforting to her to feel Spike next to her, to be cocooned within the warmth of his body and protectiveness of his hand over their baby. It went without saying that the past few weeks had been an utter nightmare and so painful that it was soul destroying, but there was hope that going through it all had a purpose. Maybe Karma was just playing ‘bitch’ to see how strong they both could be, and if they could make it together, surely this wouldn’t be the only hurdle they’d have to face.

Buffy could only think what her and his family… ‘oh shit’…his mother! She’d totally forgot to mention his mother’s call. Mrs. Freemantle was the last thing that she would have thought about, considering the circumstances and to be honest she didn’t really give a damn. Spike, herself and the baby were the only things that really mattered; they were her first priority and the only thing she wanted to focus on at the moment. Yet Buffy knew that his mother underneath that entire demeanour was freaking out about her son. She let out a sigh and entangled her hand within his, knowing that she would have to shatter their quiet world, so with some reluctance she spoke.

“Spike?”

“Yeah Luv.” Spike lifted his head onto his hand as he bent his free hand to support his head. “You uncomfortable, want me to move?”

“NO! Don’t you move a muscle mister!” Buffy brought her face around so she could look even though awkwardly at him. “Your mom called a few days ago, she said that you hadn’t called her in two weeks and that you hadn’t been in the office. She wants you to call her.”

“I’ll call her later.” Spike bent his head down and kissed her softly on the cheek. “Wanna spend the day with you.”

“Spike she sounded worried and you haven’t called her for two weeks, nearly three. Put her out of her misery. Spike, she’s your mom.”

“Mother will survive, trust me.” Spike dropped his chin to her shoulder. “She’s a tough old bird.”

“She also thinks that you’re with Lily!” Buffy knew that wasn’t the whole truth, well it was kind of the truth, and his mother had asked!

“What! With that bitch!” Spike spat out, “I told her that we were over, and she knows that the woman is an adulterer! Bloody hell!”

“You should call her and tell her that you’re alive and here…well umm that you’re alive anyway.” Buffy’s voice quietened as she realised what she’d said about him living with her. She looked away from him as she realised her slip of the tongue.

“You didn’t tell her?” Spike dragged himself up into a sitting position with his back on the bed head and pulled Buffy up until she rested comfortably, leaning on his chest with his arms embracing her waistline. “Buffy?”

“No.”

“Why not?” Spike asked her.

“Why didn’t you tell them, your mom and dad, that you were here?” Buffy replied with her own question.

“Umm I didn’t think to…must have slipped my mind. So much has happened in the last few weeks.”

“More like months Spike!” Buffy was getting rattled. “Why don’t they know about the baby?”

He felt the instant guilt grab him, one more stupid thing that he shouldn’t have done, kept the baby news from his parents. “I will tell them Buffy. One more stupid thing to add to my list of deviances, hey!” Spike started to move himself away from her, he felt like the total git that he was, he’d let her down again.

“Hey, Spike! If you think that you’re taking your arse out of this bed, you are surely mistaken mister!” Buffy squeezed his hands that lay between her own. “It’s okay, we’ll work it out. The why’s, when’s and how’s don’t matter anymore. Today does okay! Not what happened yesterday…today is what matters. You get a clean slate, Spike! Please don’t fuck it up!”

“Buffy...” Spike pushed himself and her forward as he leaned her to the side and moved her until she lay flat on the bed, with him lying on his side above her. Her words had opened up the floodgates, he didn’t want to rush anything, he wanted to take things slow, bit by bit like he said, but he couldn’t deny the fact that he wanted her. Taking her face between his hands, he kissed her lips with soft light touches with a gentle grace that reflected his need for her. He placed no demands on her and made no effort to deepen the kiss, and neither did she, they just enjoyed the pleasure of just touching each other. Maybe each just a little frightened to touch the flame that burned beneath the surface. Each of them itched to touch it and allow the flame to come to the surface too warm and consume them. Yet they knew that it could burn them, extinguishing it self even before it had a chance. They needed to lay the new foundations based on friendship, love and trust even though friendship was the last thing either had in mind with each other.

Buffy knew that they could further explore their relationship if she wanted to, she could feel the pull of her need to feel him around and inside of her. Yet she could feel her heart protesting that it was too early, and it’s vulnerability was just to fragile at the moment. It was frightened to let him into too far and too deep so early…she didn’t know if she could survive if they went through any of this again. She’d let go of so much pain and anguish in the last few hours She gave into the hope that seemed to have enveloped them, renewing the connection between them. So she let things be and didn’t forge the kiss forward, as much as she wanted to, she just wanted to enjoy this moment more.

Spike felt Buffy relax into their soft kisses, her body melting into the mattress, and moulding into his body. He felt the moment she surrendered, as she seemed caught for a time, lost in her own thoughts as if trying to decide whether this is what she wanted. He kept himself in a deliberate check, he wanted nothing more than to intensify their kiss and embrace the fire that scratched from beneath the surface begging to be released. It would give him so much pleasure to show her how he felt, to touch her skin, to be truly intimate with her. He knew that it meant total trust, something that he had yet to earn from her. He’d done enough of a good job to destroy any trust she’d once had for him, but she’d given him another chance and he wasn’t going to mess it up. With some reluctance he stopped kissing her, and played with her hair to avoid temptation.

“Okay so you tell your mom and dad about the baby. Then what? I don’t think that they’re going to be jumping for joy do you?” Buffy asked him.

“What they think is not the issues here, it’s the fact they don’t know that matters, and I don’t give a shit what they think, Buffy!” Spike pulled her tighter into his arms. “But what about your folks, Luv? You never seem to hear from them, surely they know you’re knocked up, Luv!” Buffy replied by smacking his arm with a rough blow, “Hey!”

“I don’t know, Spike?” Buffy spoke softly, “I can only assume they know. I mean they haven’t even called, not once to say hello or how are you. I don’t know, Spike.”

“Surely you called them?” Spike asked her, reassuringly stroking her hair and running a finger down her cheek, as a single tear ran down its length, he caught it before it fell away from her face. “You haven’t called them have you? You haven’t even tried since all of this….fuck…Buffy, you should have called them.”

“What for? For them to be disappointed in their youngest daughter again?” Buffy closed her eyes and opened them looking away. “They probably would have accepted it, if you and Lily stayed together…but you didn’t and they probably would have tried to…tried to…”

“What Luv? Tried to have what?”

“To have talked me out of it. The baby. Probably would have tried to talk me into having a termination.” Buffy let out a single sob that shattered the peace of their bed.

“It doesn’t matter anyway now does it? What they think or say? You’ve got me and the baby!” Spike kissed the tears that feel down her face. “Buffy, please sweetheart, don’t cry. We have each other, we don’t need them…we can make our own world...together...you belong here with me.”

“I wish sometimes that I could stay here and keep the world out. Just to rest.”

“Then rest, the world will be there tomorrow, Buffy. Let it just be us for now, just us three and if it just has to be us Luv, then so be it. Maybe ‘just us’ for now anyway!”

“Now?” Buffy was deathly silent.

“I’ll give you sometime to yourself until your ready,” Spike looked at her holding his gaze with her, as he put his hand over her abdomen, “and we do it right next time.”

“Next time?” Buffy was stunned.

“Next baby, Buffy!” The look in his eyes was saturated with lust and desire. “Next time we do it right, we conceive naturally with no machines, no doctors and no interference.”

He could hear the hesitation in her voice and the boundaries begin to creep in around them, he knew this was new but dangerous territory he was in, so he let it drop for the moment. Yet he was more than serious about their next child, that they would be conceived naturally as it should have been this time. It really pushed the point home to him that he had made some stupid choices in his life and picking the wrong sister was one of the biggest.

He needed to let her know that he hoped that she would give him…them...another child, maybe not so close after this one, but yet still a child made together out of something stronger than an a frozen stick in a needle in a doctors office. Also to assure her that he wanted her, desperately wanted her as the mother of his next child, and more importantly his lover.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~


He let it slide the rest of the day allowing them to have the freedom of the day free from worries about the outside world. Today they lived in their own world, fortifying their relationship together as they talked for hours about what they wanted from their lives. He even managed to persuade her into going to town for dinner and a walk along the main street, openly hand in hand or his arm across her shoulders. It did turn some heads in the town, the Freemantle’s were well known. It was made even more obvious to every passer-by that walked by the couple that Spike was the father of the child she carried and that he was proud to be by this woman's side. A few mouths dropped as they realised that the woman was no other than Lily Freemantle’s sister. Spike had a suspicion that it wouldn’t be too long before the whole world knew with all the gossips that this town held.

He even wondered if he subconsciously did it to make it clear that he didn’t want to hide her or the baby from anyone anymore. They were open for scrutiny now, and would probably become cannon fodder for some, but he didn’t really care. It made one thing clear too him though, he’d have to call home now before any of the town gossips did and break the news to his parents that they were going to be grandparents to a Freemantle-Summers’ child after all. They’d just have to get used to the fact that it was coming from an unexpected source and not the one they expected the baby from. Spike waited until Buffy had gone to have a long soak in the bath, after complaining of sore muscles from the long walk that he ‘made her do’ to call his parents.

Walking into the study he picked up the phone extension, and dialled to his parents’ town house in London, only to find that his mother had left for the US that day. The housekeeper had expressed his mothers concern for his whereabouts, Mrs. Freemantle decided to come and find him herself, ‘to sort the boy out!’ Thanking the housekeeper for her titbit of information he hung up and dialled his parents’ home, it picked up on the third ring.

“Hello Freemantle.” His father answered the phone, with his usual straight to the point manner.

“Dad?”

“William? Is that you?” Spike could hear his father’s voice boom of demand down the line. “Where in the blazes have you been? You’ve had us in knots trying to find you! Never mind your poor mother! And what about the office? You left it in a bloody shambles, not to mention the clients that are threatening to leave! So what have you got to say for yourself boy?”

“Umm, hi Dad! Nice to hear your voice,” Spike replied to his father.

“Is that all you’ve got to say for yourself, young man?”

“No dad it ain’t…”

“Well where are you William?” His father asked him. “When are you coming home? Your mothers here!”

“I know dad, and I am home.” Spike scratched his head wondering how he was going to explain this one to his father. “Dad look I’m home and I’m okay. I needed to sort some things out, but there are some important things that you need to know.”

“Home, but no one’s been answering the phone, or the door? William what’s going on?”

“Like I said dad we need to talk. I think you should come over here so I can show you something, then you’ll understand. Dad please understand that only you can come, not mum. Not yet anyway.”

“When?”

“Tomorrow, but Dad?”

“Yes William?”

“Not home, home. I’m at another address,” Spike lowered his voice even further even knowing that there was no way she could hear him speak. “It’s 1630 Revello Drive.”

“But that’s…”

“I know dad, I’ll explain when you get here. Just tell mum that I’m okay, everything’s okay.”

“You have a lot of explaining son.”

“I know, Dad, I know.”


~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

9.44am

After another restful night lying with him in her bed, comforted by his presence, she slept like a baby. Waking up with a sudden urgency that she was busting to go, the pressure on her bladder was terrible; the baby was doing flip-flops, making the sensation worse. She got out as quietly as she could without waking him and ran to the downstairs toilet so that she wouldn’t disturb him with the noise. She could also help herself to some of the chocolate she craved, that she’d hidden under the sink in the kitchen without Spike rolling his eyes at her for eating something less than wholesome, like he always did.

After finishing the task at hand, Buffy walked into the kitchen and had her hand on the cupboard door when the front doorbell rang. It was only 9.55 a.m. on the wall clock and she wasn’t expecting anyone so with some anticipation she opened the door. Swallowing hard she looked at who stood on her front door step as she hid as much as she could behind the front door and looked at Spike’s father peculiarly.

“Mr. Freemantle…what can I do for you?” Buffy quietly asked the man on her porch.

“Awhh, Buffy, how are you my dear? I believe my wayward son has come and invaded your home.”

“Spike?” She whispered in response. “Spike’s here, just hang on I’ll get him for you.”

“May I come in please dear? This hips playing up, and I’d love to sit down.”

With great hesitation, she opened the door to let the visitor in, and raised a hand to motion for him to come in. “Please take a seat in the living room, Mr. Freemantle. Would you like a cup of tea or coffee while I get him?” Buffy regained her composure somewhat.

“No thank you.” Mr. Freemantle was to occupied looking at her abdomen and her obvious pregnancy. “Buffy, you’re pregnant?”

“Yes.” Buffy whispered in response, “Yes I am.”

“Lily didn’t say anything before she left William! Congratulations my dear! When did you get married?”

“I’m not Mr. Freemantle.”

“Not?”

“Married.”

“Oh you’re not….ohh sorry dear…you know us old foggies, baby usually equals marriage. Well it did in my day!” The sarcasm lay thick in his voice. “So is the father around at least Buffy?”

“Yeah, Dad, he is.” A strong resinate voice came from the staircase as Spike flew down them two at a time until he came to stand next to Buffy.

“Well then introduce him to your old man, so that I can give my congratulations the fellow.” His father replied to his son.

“You already know him Dad and thanks.” Spike put his arm possessively around Buffy and pulled her too him.

“Oh my god!”



A/N Thanks to Kirsty, Karen and Mel for your help…