A/N edited by Kar with many thanks


Daddy Dearest….


“Oh my god!” was all his father could say over and over again, the stunned look and shock covered his face. Mr. Freemantle leaned into the wooden doorframe for support as the news began to hit him.

“Dad!” Spike moved away from Buffy and helped his father through the doorway into the living room and to the sofa. “Dad, are you alright?”

“Yes son, I’m fine,” his father looked from a concerned son to a horrified young woman. “It’s just not what I expected. I mean it’s the last thing that I …”

“Dad, please let me explain...”

“What? That you were having an affair, too! That Lily drove you to it?” Mr. Freemantle’s anger made his words seethe. “You made Lily out to be the instigator of all this mess, but by the looks of things I’d say you’d beaten her to it. But with her sister William? That’s low son, really low.”

“Dad, it’s not like that!’

“Don’t tell me it was love at first sight William! Next thing you’ll tell me that you’ve loved her all this time!”

“Dad! That’s not how it happened!” Spike was really beginning to lose any composed thoughts at this stage very quickly, “You don’t understand! You have to let me explain!”

“What! That you’ve been sleeping with your sister in law, and that you lied to your mother and me! That you have gotten her pregnant! How do you think that your mothers going to cope?”

“Father!” Spike exploded. “Firstly, I didn’t get her pregnant!”

“What, was it a miracle conception?”

“No, Dad, it was a planned pregnancy. Buffy conceived for me and Lily, Dad!” Spike can to sit down beside his father. “She was meant to be the surrogate mother, she was meant to give Lily and myself the child that we, no I wanted.”

Mr. Freemantle slipped back into the sofa as the revelation sunk into the depths of his consciousness and silenced his sharp tongue. He heard every word that his son said, every vowel rung true and he saw the frightened woman in front of him in a new light. He was never as blind as his own son where she’d been concerned, he’d seen the side glances that Buffy had snuck in when she thought that people weren’t looking. He’d even seen her shed a tear or two at time that people thought she was crying in happiness at a special occasion, he knew different it was more like a tear shed in loss and want for something she couldn’t have. Yet, he always knew that she’d kept her distance and had never interfered with her sister relationship.

He could see that his son now openly adored her and there was something else there, something that he hadn’t seen in his son for a long time. Contentment. His life with Lily had been good at the beginning into their relationship and his son seemed complete with his wife, but after a few years the shine that used to be there was gone, even if his son didn’t or couldn’t see it, he could. He really wasn’t surprised when William had told him and his wife that she’d left, what had hurt was the devastation that it had for his son, and the pain that had flooded deep into William.

“And now?” Mr. Freemantle asked his son.

“Now, Buffy and I are going to bring up the baby.” Spike got up and walked over to her, taking her hand he lead her to the other sofa and sat down with her. “Together Dad. We’re doing it together.”

“And Lily, where does she fit into all of this?”

“No where!” finally Buffy broke her silence. “She has nothing to do with this baby anymore, Mr. Freemantle. Lily walked out on me and her husband for another man. She didn’t want the baby or Spike!”

“And you do Buffy? With Lily out of the picture you get my son and his child.” Mr. Freemantle asked his son’s sister in law.

“Don’t you dare talk to her like that, Father!” Spike stood like a viper ready to strike as his temper snapped. “I’m the one that came here demanding to have a place in her life, her house and the baby’s! Me, Dad, not her. I’m the one that demanded all this! I never gave her any real choices in this and this has nothing to do with you! This is my family!”

“You’re family! You’re not divorced from the first wife yet and you’ve already set up house with the second.”

Buffy could feel her mouth drop open and her sharp intake of breath as his father verbally attacked them. It shocked her to see his father like this; it was totally out of character for him, he’d always been the most pleasant man that she’d meet. She could only guess that Mr. Freemantle was only doing it out of concern for his son, but his ugly words stung deeply, and they’d been through enough hard times already.

“Dad, I think that you should go.” Spike spoke quietly demanding that his father leave.

“Spike?” Buffy looked at him. “Don’t do this.”

“What Buffy?” Spike looked from her to his father. “Let him talk to you, to me like we’re nothing? No, Buffy. If he can’t accept us and the baby then I’d rather not be his son.”

“I never said that I’d never accept your child! For heavens sake, William! It’s my bloody grandchild!”

“Then show it! Show me some support and acceptance! Show some respect Dad, for me and Buffy.”

“I’m sorry, William.” Mr. Freemantle stood up to his son, and touched him with his hand on his arm. “I’m so sorry, William, it’s just such a shock.” He turned to look at the young woman that still sat on the sofa, “I’m sorry, Buffy, I had no right to say anything.”

“No, you don’t, Mr. Freremantle, this is between me and your son. We’ve been through hell and back in the last few weeks, and not you or anyone else is going to stuff it up!” Buffy’s anger surfaced as she said her peace, she knew that there would be some resistance from his family. She also couldn’t deny the fact that some of the anger came from the fear of how her own family would react in front of them, and the hurt that they hadn’t contacted her sliced through her, it was if she didn’t even exist. She could feel the tears begin to form behind her eyes as she felt Spike’s arm come around her shoulders to comfort her and support her. Buffy felt the soft kiss on the back of her head, as his pulled her further into the sofa and put his arms around her the best he could.

“Dad, you have to understand that this is what we both want, and we’ve both chosen. Lily’s leaving was probably the best thing to happen lately, at least she’s really showed her true colours.” Spike looked at his father as he put his hand over their baby. “But this is my child and I would choose the baby and Buffy over anyone any day. So you either accept the child and us, which goes for you and mother, or …”

“I get the picture, William!” his father came back with in response to his son’s warning.

“Fine and dandy. As long as we’re clear on that one.”

They all sat in silence for a short time as what had happened penetrated itself into their consciousness, and the realisation of what was going on around them. Spike seemed satisfied that his father knew exactly where he stood and what he expected from his family as he outlined it for his father. Buffy was perplexed at the whole situation, and what the implications would mean, she knew that they might get some resistance from his mother, but she didn’t really give a damn, well she did a little for Spike’s sake. Maybe once the baby was here, his parents may soften a little towards them and the situation.

“I’d better get home before you’re mother starts wondering where I am.” Mr. Freemantle spoke softly breaking the silence, even if it was a statement that both father and son knew not to be true, it was just a convenient escape tactic for him to leave with some dignity intact.

“Are you going to tell mum?”

“Of course, it would explain some of your missing time and behaviour! You may think that she doesn’t care much because she never shows it son, but she was worried about you.”

“What taking two weeks before trying and find me?”

“Spike please!” Buffy interceded as he spoke, “Not today please.”

“Okay!” Spike looked at his father, as he reclined into the sofa, and let go of the disappointment he felt towards his parents, and which he wanted to air. “Luv, for you anything.” Spike spoke with a strong conviction in his voice as he stared straight into his fathers’ gaze in defiance making his stance on how things would be quite clear. Accept us or forget us.

“Thank you Buffy.” Mr. Freemantle got to his feet and walked towards the door, as the couple on the other sofa, moved in the same manner and direction behind him. “I hope you realise that that you have my support,” he looked at his son refuting earlier rebuke, “my wife might be another matter, but she’ll come around. Better yet it will be guaranteed when the baby is born.”

“It better be Dad,” Spike put his hand around Buffy in showing their unity. “It’s still the same for Mother, she accepts the three of us Dad, as a family or nothing.”

“William, your mother…”

“Just making sure that you understand the rules, Dad, I want no misunderstanding for the future.”

“Fine,” Mr Freemantle walked out the door but turned before the door was shut behind him and looked at the young woman with his son. “Buffy, I am glad that you are having the baby, and I’m sure that Evelyn will, too, despite what my son might say.”

“Thank you.” Buffy spoke with a quiet clarity of what he was saying to her, she watched as he walked down the front path to the car that was parked on the curb. She looked at the man beside her as the tension rose in his body and resulted in the muscles of his cheeks beginning to twitch, and the arteries in his neck beginning to bugle. He obvious greater concern was that his family wouldn’t accept her and to a lesser extent their child, she could feel the apprehension radiate from him in waves as it poured of him.

She shut the door after a short time of just looking into the void of the empty street that just saw the occasional car drive by, it was apparent that Spike wasn’t going to shut it. Buffy didn’t want her neighbours getting a free look into her personal business, not that they’d had free front row seats to the drama that unfolded in front of them on a daily basis. She took his hand leading him into the kitchen, making him sit on one of the stools behind the breakfast nook, as she pulled out a pan to heat up some milk.

He watched as she prepared him his favourite drink, as she yanked out the cocoa and pulled the cupboards apart until she found those little marshmallows that he loved.
She had yet to say anything about what had happened between his father and himself, he could feel the fear rise in him, it felt like the ground that they’d covered was threatening to give way. She finally placed the mug in front of him, as she leaned across the bench she ran her had to his check from his chin with a strained but gentle smile.

“You and your dad will work it out.” Buffy tried to reassure him of something at least. ”Looks like you two have issues?”

“Buffy, my dad could go to buggery for all I care. The important people here are you, the baby and me. What he says, thinks or does is irrelevant.” Spike looked into his drink unable to look at her in fear of what he might see.

“Is that what’s bothering you?” Buffy finally clicked onto what he was raving on about. “You’re frightened that I’m going to back off somehow because of what he or your mother might think?” She couldn’t contain the laughter that exploded into the room from her mouth. “God, you’re thick, Spike! I wonder were you got your brain from sometimes!”

“I’m what?”

“Thick! As in have no idea! Lost to reality!” Buffy moved around to the other side of the counter, as he moved to sit on the side of the stool so that he faced her. “As in I’m not going anywhere. As in I’m here to stay. As in I’m yours for life.”

His jaw dropped as she stated her intension and the truth of her commitment to them and him. Yet she still had yet to say the words that he truly longed to hear, to embrace and to say back to her when she said it. He was afraid to say anything after the last time that he tried to tell her the truth in what he felt, it was true that he doubted that he would have a repeat performance, but he didn’t know if he’d get the response he wanted. Spike didn’t want to push the boundaries just yet, he already made more head-way than he could have every imagined. It was going to be interesting when she was greeted with the news of their next big move their life together, but then again that’s another chapter yet to unfolded.

Buffy looked at the deep seeded fear that was reflected in his eyes, she could see the need that he had to just grab onto her and hold her. Just to reassure himself that she was here and going to stay. It worried her that she felt this from him twice in one day, especially this morning as they lay in bed together and now that same feeling sat in front of her. She leant forward and reassured him in the best way she knew, she softly kissed the skin that lay over his cheekbone, until she reached his mouth.

Delicately brushing her own lips against his own, she grasped the soft tissue of the flesh between her own, and at times nipping it with her teeth, grasping the blunt edges of them along the tissue. Over and over gently expressing the reassuring rhythm of her need for him, and her want of him, she knew that he was so unsure of the future despite her reassurances but she didn’t know how else to reassure him. She tried to express it with her touch and in her kiss, but she doubted it would be enough, they’d been through so much in the last few weeks. Buffy wanted to assure him that she was with him all the way, and in every way.

“I’m here okay and I’m not going anywhere,” Buffy moved back slightly from him. “Why don’t we go out? Get away from here for the day, as our covers been blown, and your mother may show up! I don’t think that I could cope with that.”

“Good idea, Goldilocks.” Spike pulled her back down to kiss her again, but she only allowed him a little pleasure before she pulled away. “Hey, I wasn’t finished with you. Luv!”

“What’s with the ‘Goldilocks’ business?”

“Well what am I supposed to call you? Luv? Pet? Sweetheart?” Spike pulled at her hair that hung over her shoulders, running it between his fingers. “Goldilocks?”

“Ohh,” was all she could say as the colour of his eyes darken to a deeper shade of blue, and as she watched the desire rise within then. “Ohh…that Goldilocks? The three bears story?”

“Yeah that one Luv. Especially the bit about ‘whose been sleeping in my bed’ bit?”

“Spike!”

“Hmm, gives me ideas and fantasies to survive on.”

“Spike!!!”

“Well, Luv, cannot wait to see if your hair bounces when we…” He stopped suddenly when she lifted a nearby spatula threatening to hit him with it, Spike gently grabbed her hand as a mock grin filled her face, “This flapjack ain’t ready to be flipped, Luv.”

Spike stood up from the stool, still holding her hand that threatened to hit him with the implement that she held in her hand. She gently tried to pull herself out of his grasp, as his other free hand slid down her arm and onto the thigh that it rested upon, he watched as her mouth dropped open in surprise as he slowly drew it up dragging the dressing gown that shielded her body from view. He watched her struggle for oxygen as he gently scrapped his nails along her inner thigh. He stopped just above her shorts that she’d slept in last night. Spike moved his hand to the side of her thigh and continued with the upward motion until reaching the side of her panties. He watched as she appeared to stop breathing when he traced the panty line down for a few centimetres until her hand dropped the spatula and grabbed onto his, halting his movements.

“Buffy, I want you.”

He didn’t remove his hand, but he lent in and kissed her with a gentle passion, that was tender and reassuring. It still demonstrated the deep restrained passion that he was holding back from her, frightened to scare her away. She eased his hand away from her inner thigh and around to her waist the best she could, pulling herself as closely into his body as she could. Returning his kisses, as she deepened it just for a little while opening his mouth to her tongue. Tasting the soft flesh within, exploring the ridges of his mouth and the soft and hard textures that she found within. Sliding her flesh along his as they embraced the passion that flowed between them and united them. Until they could feel the fire begin to burn between them.

Buffy was the first to pull away from him as he grasped her hips and ground himself into her, showing the extent of his need for her. She untangled herself from him, as she straightened her clothes out, and looked at the floor to unsure if she wanted to see the hurt and disappointment in his eyes. Buffy had to admit to herself that she should have pulled away earlier but she was too caught in the heat of the moment.

“Don’t you want me, Buffy?” Spike moved up to where she stood and lifted her chin up seeing the uncertainty in her eyes.

“I want you,” Buffy looked away from his gaze. “But I don’t know if I’m ready to yet or that I can?”

“So you’re saying you want me, but not yet?” Spike looked at her in concern, “Or you want me but you can’t because of the baby?”

“Both…”

“But you want me?” He just had to ask he had to be sure.

“Yes, I want you!”

This was beginning to frustrate her so she moved her hand to his t-shirt that he’d slept in and ran a single finger down it along the hard ridges of his chest and abdomen until it rested on the top of his abdominal muscles. She gentle began to draw a circle around his flesh until she touch the taunt fabric of his sweats that outlined his erection. Palm down she tauntingly massaged the straining flesh that continued to harden under her gentle strokes. This time it was his turn to gasp and seem to be unable to breathe, as Buffy increased her pace and the pressure of her strokes that she placed on his flesh.

“I want you more than I can say or show you.”

Her words echoed in his ears and penetrated through the cloudy haze that hung in his mind, but he could still hear her caution from before. Her hesitation in moving things too forward to fast, deep down he knew that he wouldn’t want anything more than to get her into his bed and satisfy her until she was screaming her lungs out with his name on her lips. As much as he didn’t want too he removed her hand from his erection and took a few deep breathes to get the oxygen flowing back to his brain, and let some sanity reign.

“Please, Luv, stop or I won’t be able to stop, even if you asked me too.” Spike asked her in a low toned voice.

“I don’t have to.. I could…” Buffy stumbled through her words, shy and a little embarrassed.

“No, Luv, please…” Spike walked a few feet from trying to put some safe distance between them, when all he wanted to do was just grab her and run upstairs to their bedroom. “Maybe we should go out like you said. Take a break from here. Besides my mother might show up and we wouldn’t want her to find us in any compromising situation, do we?”

Still caught in the daze of the desire they shared Buffy blindly responded, “But we could go upstairs? She wouldn’t know anyone was home…”

“Luv, we have plenty of time for everything, just not right now. I think we need to get out of the house cool down, and hide somewhere else just in case my mother comes hurtling through the door.”

Buffy only nodded in agreement with what he was saying, still a little stunned by him turning her down for at least a little pleasure between the two of them. She’d let him take her out for the day, and she’d make sure he’d spoil her rotten, but when they got home tonight, that would be a different story. Despite all of her misgiving she knew she was willing too give some of herself over too him, but not all of it, not just yet anyway.

But soon….