The Surrogate 17

By
Mercy

NC-17
Thanks to Kar….thank you isn’t enough… you’re a god send more like it…

Collide

Spike found Buffy sitting on their bed with the sheet tightly gripped between her hands, she looked so pale against the white sheet, her eyes seemed vacant of all emotion and her cheekbones strained against taunt muscle as her teeth gritted together. He swallowed hard against his fear, still naked he walked into the room, grabbing one of her terry towelling robes he put it on and sat down next to her. Taking her hand within his own, he brought it to his lips, placing soft gentle kisses onto both the palm and forehand as he caught her chin with his other hand; he pulled her face towards his direction.

“Goldilocks?” Spike spoke quietly and lovingly towards her. “Buffy?”

“What does she want?” Buffy whispered so quietly that she could hardly be heard against the silence that echoed throughout the room.

“Don’t know, Luv,” Spike pulled himself closer to her. “Dad just said that she was at the office and wanted to see me.” Her soft exhale of frustration filtered through room, she tightened her hold on his hand as she snuggled into him. “I’ll have to go…” instantly he felt her whole body tense against him. “I don’t want to deal with the bitch…sorry… woman…Luv, but I have to sometime. I want to get this fucking divorce out of the way, so I…no we can get on with us ‘n’ bub.”

He watched as she twisted her free hand into a fist and slipped the tip of her thumb into her mouth, and gently bit the tip between her teeth. Spike knew that she was contemplating something, but what that was he didn’t know, you could almost hear the cogs turn inside her head as she thought about the situation she was confronted with. He titled his head towards her as she looked through him with such an intensely deep gaze so lost in contemplation. Quickly breaking her gaze away from him for an instant, she looked away then back with such an animated stare towards him as she finally responded to him.

“I want to come with you,” Buffy spoke sharply and rigidly. “I want to be there and see what she wants. I want to know what game she’s playing now! I’m sick to death of her games and it’s time to turn the tables. I want what’s mine and I want her to know it.”

“Yours?” Spike mouth opened a little in question. “Know what, Luv?”

“You Spike. You belong to me and I’m not letting the bitch get away with anything anymore. It’s time that she knew that this time she can’t have things the way she wants them.”

Spike broke out in a soft laughter; it surprised Buffy as she pulled away from him offended that he would find her statement so funny. Shaking his head at her reaction, he kissed her forehead, pushing stray strand of hair behind her ear he smirked at her with his cocky grin. She felt like punching him on the nose to take the damn conceited look of his face, he shook his face with a ‘tut tut’ noise coming from his throat. Leaning towards her again he kissed her quickly on the lips, pulling her upper lip between his own. Smiling down at her he felt like his chest was going to explode as she stated her case against her sister, and her inner resolve that ‘he belonged to her’.

“Luv no let me handle her, it’s my problem not yours,” he hoped that she would let him deal with it, his mind clouded with to many unpleasant memories of the affidavit, legal documents and letters from Lily to both of them, especially to her. “You need to rest, Luv, you’ve been kind of busy the last few days.” Spike smirked towards her again, smiling widely at her he sent delicious shivers down her spine as he did that curling of his tongue against his upper palate. “Need your beauty sleep and rest up for later on tonight.”

Blushing she shook her head at his words, she needed to be a part of this as much as he was, as much as she would love to hand over all the mess and chaos to him, it involved her just as much as it did him. It wasn’t only his future it was theirs; she needed give him support and gain resolution for herself where Lily was concerned. Her sister had caused the greatest shift of change in her life, on one hand she wanted too utterly destroy her sister for fucking her around and in the other she wanted to thank her sister for giving her the best two things to ever come into her life. Her baby and her man.

“No Spike, I want to come with you. No discussion. It’s about time that I sorted things out with her, make her tell everyone the truth and make her see what she’s done to us. Make her responsible,” Buffy stared at him. “Make her realise what she given up and what’s mine now, and that I won’t give you up.”

“Buffy, I don’t think that it’s such a good idea.” Spike tried to sway her away from her need to go with him to his office. “Better if I deal with her.”

“No Spike, I need to be there in person to deal with a few gripes that I have with her. I won’t have you go in as my surrogate…”as soon as the words came out from her mouth she stopped speaking, faltering on her words and all she could do was continue to stumble along. “She has to see, to understand…that she fucked it up, that you and her….you and me are…umm together…a couple.”

“Don’t think that’s an issue, Luv. She gave me up along time ago; I was just such a stupid git that I didn’t see it. Kinda glad she did Buffy, cause I get you and ‘bit’ instead. A much better deal I’d say, Sweetheart,” Spike ran his hand down her abdomen in a caress and hold their child within his hands. “Much better deal. Come if you must Buffy, but understand that this is my turf and I take the lead, Sweetheart. I’m sorry but I have to, I have to get her out of my bloody life once and for all.”

“I know,” Buffy took hold of his wandering hand and encased it with her own. “But I have a few issues with her as well. I need to tie a few loose ends, especially before the baby’s born. I don’t want this in the shadows Spike; I want it all out in the open,” Buffy tightened her grip. “I need Mom and Dad to know the truth about Lily and that James man, I need Mom….”

“Luv,” Spike squeezed her hand back. “Let’s just concentrate on Lily at the moment Buffy, much easier to slay one dragon at a time. Your mum will come around soon Buffy once the truth is out.”

“I still can’t believe that she’d tell Mom that I broke things up between you two. Why couldn’t she just tell them the truth?” Buffy shook her head slightly. “What did I do to her to deserve that, Spike? What?”

“You’d have to ask her that one,” Spike spoke quietly and reassuringly to her. “I just don’t know. I suppose I could ask the same of her, I mean why did she have to fuck around with another man…or men? I thought we were fine.” Buffy watched as he looked away from her and seemed to gaze into oblivion. “Thought nothing could break us apart,” blinking his eyes as if waking up from a trance he tightened his hold on her. “Lucky I was wrong Buffy, so lucky. You and the baby are such a miracle to me, such a gift…something I will never give away or let you go like she did to me Buffy. You and the baby belong with me.”

Buffy pulled herself away from Spike as she lifted herself of the bed, and moved towards the bathroom, turning around she looked so trustingly at him as she quickly broke her gaze and quickly moved into the bathroom shutting the door. Stepping into the shower cubicle, she felt the tears form in her eyes and fall down her face mixing with the rain of water from the shower. Her insides were taunt and tense with fear as her mind buzzed with endless possibilities at what Lily wanted. She’d both rejoiced and panicked when she heard that she was in Spike’s father’s office. Rejoice because she would show her sister that she’d claimed what she so carelessly thrown away. Yet she felt panicked that Lily could still evoke such a strong reaction from Spike, despite his declaration of love and possession for her and the baby. It was silly as she knew that he loved her and her alone. Nevertheless, she could only hope that she could countermand any strike that Lily used against her or Spike to protect them and their child from her.

Spike pulled himself onto the edge of the bed as he watched a worried Buffy head to the shower, he didn’t miss the look of trust that she threw him before she shut the door, nor did he miss the hint of hurt that laced the outside of that look. It struck him deep within himself as he caught her glimpse; he knew that they were going into the firing line where Lily was concerned. He was worried what effect it would have on himself, Buffy and the baby, it was so evident to him that even though she’d done the most horrid things to him, that Lily was capable of even more despicable acts, clearly her treatment of her sister where her parents where concerned was a obvious indication.

Spike knew one thing for sure that Lily was out for every thing that she could, especially his family fortune and the houses that they’d owned together. Yet if she thought that she held all of the cards, then she was gravely mistaken. He would do anything he could to eliminate her from his life as quickly as possible, but he wasn’t going to give into her every whim just to get rid of her. Quickly and decisively he decided exactly what he would offer the bitch to get her out of his life, and how much it would cost him, not that he really cared, the only thing that he really cared about was getting rid of her to achieve one goal.

To be rid of Lily so that he could make things perfect with Buffy and make her his wife.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~


Making their way in the lift to his office, Spike nervously moved his weight from one foot to the other as he tightly gripped Buffy’s right hand in his left, in his right he grasped his briefcase full of enough evidence to bury his soon to be ex-wife if she didn’t want to play nicely. Anxiously Buffy stood next to him; a slight shiver ran along her body in anticipation of a meeting she’d been long dreading, so much had changed in the last few months. She’d gained the affection and love of the man she’d wanted secretly for years and she’d get to nurture the child that grew inside of her, instead of being “Aunty Buffy”, she’d be “Mom”. Life was so totally different to anything she could have imagined and she wanted to keep like that.

As the doors to the lift opened at his office floor, Spike stepped forward and gently tugged on Buffy’s hand to get her to move forward and bring her back to the realm of the reality around her. With a little reassuring smile, he lead her down the corridor and into the office of his family law firm, opening the door for her as she walked into the reception area. Behind an imposing desk a middle-aged woman greeted them with perched lips; she stiffly rose from her desk and walked around it approaching the couple stopping directly in front of Spike.

“Mr Freemantle your father is expecting you in the boardroom,” with an open hand she gestured to the door opposite them and turning to Buffy she continued. “Ms Summers would you follow me to Mr Freemantle’s office to wait.”

“Thanks Andrea,” Spike nodded to the woman. “Buffy, go with Andrea,” Spike silently pleaded with her to do as he asked. “Just for now Luv, I need to speak with her first and them we can do it together.” Gently he leaned over her and kissed her softly on the lips, not moving his mouth just grasping the soft lips between his own, pulling delicately between his own. It screamed of love, comfort and reassurance between the two of them, it seemed to last just a split second but it communicate every word that he couldn’t say to her in front of the other woman. With a reluctant nod, she moved away from him and let his hand go and stepping behind Andrea she followed her to another open door, he watched as Andrea shut the door behind them.

Taking a deep breath and letting out a reluctant sigh, he slowly took heavy steps towards the door that would hopefully end the shambles that had been his marriage to Lily. Standing in front of the door, he let his hand rest on the metal handle, loathing to push it down. He stared at the grain pattern imbedded on the door he felt his throat become dry and his jaw hurt from the tension in his muscles. With a sudden jerking movement of his hand he pushed down and opened the door with a shove of his hand. His father stood at the window overlooking the cityscape and Lily sat flipping over papers with her lawyer ‘Warren the Weasel’ as he’d become known in legal circles. His father immediately turned at the opening of the door, looking from Lily to Warren and then to his son with an angry burning look in his eyes. He gestured with his hand for Spike to join him on the opposite side of the large conference table.

“So Lily, how’s London these days?” Spike spoke in icy tones as he approached his side of the table. “Cold I hear, but then again being a cold blooded creature I suppose that it didn’t affect you that much.”

“Ouch Spike!” Lily faked indignation at his question. “Such manners for your wife.”

Spike laughed at her comments, as he placed his briefcase down on the table and pulled the large leather chair out for him to sit down into it. “Soon to be ex-wife Lily, you have no right to the title of my ‘wife’ anymore.”

“And Buffy does?” Lily went straight for the jugular. “One sister not enough for you? Gotta try all of the Summers’ girls out in bed?”

“Jealous, Lily?” Spike leant over the table with a smart arse smirk on his face. “That she’s a better…”

“William!” his father sharply interjected. “This is not the time nor the place for this. We are here to get this divorce moving and get it over with,” he looked from his son to Lily. “Lily, what do you want?” his question to his daughter in law was direct and straight to the point.

“Mrs Freemantle wants all the family homes, $500,000 upfront and $50,000 in alimony a month until she remarries.” Warren finally joined the conversation. “As compensation for her abysmal treatment at her husband’s hands and his total abandonment of her in favour of her sister Buffy, which I might add is very pregnant with child, which he openly states as his own and flaunts his adulterous relationship with Buffy Summers openly.”

“Fucking no way!” spilled out of Spikes mouth as he jumped to his feet shearing the chair from under him and across the room.

“Never!” from his father filled the large room.

“You think that I’m going to give you just about everything I own and monthly alimony for leaving me for that wanker, and leaving your sister pregnant with what should have been our child!” Spike spat at Lily. “You expect me to just hand it over to you! Fuck you!”

“Mr Freemantle, you cannot…” Warren stuttered out in the commotion. “Umm, we aren’t willing to negotiate the divorce either you agree or we will see you in court. What Mrs Freemantle wants is fair under law and you know it as a lawyer yourself.”

“Then maybe my daughter-in-law would like the world to know that she left her husband, on the day that her sister was told that she was pregnant with a child she’d agreed to surrogate for her and my son. That she left evidence that she had left my son for a Liam James, my son’s so-called-best-friend and fled to London. She didn’t give a fig for my son’s feelings. The child in question was conceived by artificial means and that his relationship with Miss Summers came about after your client left her husband in the lurch, and my son hasn’t ‘flaunted’ anything Warren,” Spikes father started to stand up and gestured the two towards the door. “I suggest that you talk to your client again Warren and get your facts straight, I’d hate to have to embarrass you in court again like last time , but then again that wouldn’t be too hard.”

“Wait,” Spike spoke as an embarrassed lawyer and defiant client stood to leave the room and with a stern look on his face he looked at Lily. “Your sister wants to see you, I don’t know why after you’ve made so much chaos, but you are warned Lily. One word or syllable out of place…so help me I’ll make your life so fucking miserable!”

“She’s my sister, Spike, and I love her. I wouldn’t do anything to hurt her more than I have!” Lily quietly spoke.

“Right.” Spike shook his head at her disbelieving after all she’d done to them she’d say something like that, but then again he didn’t expect anything less from her.

“I mean it, Spike.”

“Sure Lily, I believe you.” Spike spat at her and walked to the door, opening it he leaned out to spot Andrea in her usual spot. “Bring in Miss Summers, please.”


~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~



Andrea opened the door to the conference room for Buffy, before her sat Lily and she could only assume her lawyer, Spike and his father. She weakly smiled at Spike and his father; she cast her eyes away from her sister unable to meet her gaze at all. Spike pulled out the chair next to his own as she walked further into the room, he took her hand as she sat down, and with a light squeeze he let it go as he turned to retrieve his own chair and sit in it. Buffy wiggled in her chair trying to get comfortable, as she felt so award and strange in the presence of her sister, she pushed her hair away from her face as she nervously faced her sister finally.

“Lily,” Buffy spoke quietly. “How are you?”

“Fine,” Lily stared at her sister with a defiant look on her face. “You kept the baby.”

“What else did you expect her to do, Lily?” Spike interjected. “But then again you expected her to do something else…”

“William!” his father interrupted him again, staring at him until he watched his son sit back into his chair with a sigh.

“Yes Lily, I kept the baby and you can have your money back I don’t want it,” Buffy swallowed hard against the bile in her throat. “I’d never have destroyed the baby because my pregnancy had become inconvenient for you or anyone else.”

“Humphh, you also get my husband as well Buffy, you got the package deal,” Lily spat at Spike. “But you see Buffy, I want what’s owed to me and until I do he gets no divorce!”

“Mrs Freemantle, I must warn you that what you are saying is inappropriate for this setting,” Warren warned his client.

“He owes you nothing Lily; you walked out on both of us and left us to pick up the pieces. Yes, I get Spike, but you’re the fool that gave him up and I’m not letting him go.” Buffy spat at her sister all her disappointment and upended rage came forth. “You told mom and dad that I slept with him and broke up your marriage and I’m sure that it’s just the tip of the iceberg. Why Lily? What did I do to you that was so terrible that you had to do this too me?”

“You my beloved sister are just caught in the middle, but I don’t know what your complaining about you got what you’ve always wanted,” Lily slyly glanced from her to stare at Spike. “She’s always wanted you from the moment she laid eyes on you. My husband of all people, she wanted my husband and since she got what she wanted. I want what’s owed to me. Compensation for a miserable six years of marriage and you owe it to me, Spike. You owe it to me.”

“I owe you nothing, Lily, nothing,” Spike whispered to Lily. “You left of your own accord. Yes, Buffy may have wanted me for along time, but she at least had the decency to stay away from what wasn’t hers, and I might add then a married man. At least she had some morals to let me stick to my wedding vows, not like you my loving wife,” Spike leaned once again over the table. “Don’t even think for one minute that you’re sister initiated anything in our relationship, Lily, or insinuate that anything happened before you left me.”

Lily’s sharp intake of breath could be heard loudly across the hushed room as he laid down the facts on the table. He pulled his briefcase towards him and opened the lid with a flick of the locks, lifting up the lid he delved into the contents and pulled out the familiar looking parchment that Lily was well known for using. He looked up at her with such an evil gleam and cocky grin on his face that Lily could only put her hand over her gapping mouth.

“Lily you can have the city apartment, half of what the house in Sunnydale sells for, all the bloody white furniture and contents of the house, all the jewellery that has been given to you by me over the years and $500,000 lump sum. That’s it Lily, that’s all you get and all you’re going to get, take it or leave it,” Spike threw a prepared settlement document in front of her. “It’s a one time deal, or I will take you to court. You have 24 hours to decide,” he looked with a hardened glare at his wife as she slumped back deeper into her seat. “You also will talk to your folks and tell them the truth. I won’t have Buffy being painted a whore in front of your parents or anyone else!”

“William,” Buffy quietly and anxiously drew his attention from the woman that sat across from them. “Can we leave please…I don’t feel so good.”

Spike instantly dropped the remaining papers from his hand and turn to her side, with an anxious look on his face he took her hand and helped her stand. His father stood up from his chair and began to place the fallen papers from his sons’ hand that lay spilled over the top of the conference table, back into the briefcase they came from. With a hard look of mistrust and dislike on his face, he stared at Lily as he purposely slammed the lid down and snapped the locks down. Spike looked at Buffy questionably as he lead her out of the conference room and into his office, leaving one very worried Grandfather-to-be and a miserable soon-to-be ex-wife behind them. Closing the door behind them, he sat her down one on of the sofas in his office; he poured her a glass of water and offered it to her.

“Are you alright, Buffy?”

“No.”

“Something wrong with the baby? Do you want to go to the hospital?”

“No,” Buffy tried to smile at him to give him reassurance. “She doesn’t care does she? About what she’s done to you or me? She only wants the cash.”

“I’m sorry, Luv, but the bint only wants what she can squeeze out of me,” Spike sat down besides her his hands taking hers between his own.

“I just cannot believe her,” Buffy shook her head of the image of the woman that she called a sister sitting in front of her and saying what she said. “I don’t even think I know my own sister anymore, I wonder if I ever really knew her at all. It’s like an impostor sitting across from me…”

“I don’t know Buffy,” Spike sighed. “I don’t think I knew her at all or if I ever did. But one’s thing for sure Luv, I think she’s so desperate to keep things quiet and wants the cash so badly she’ll play nice.”

“Nice?”

“Agree to the settlement then I can get the final decree and we can get on with our lives.”

“Finally,” Buffy pushed her forehead against his own. “Finally we can be a family.”

“We already are Luv,” Spike kissed her softly. “This divorce is just the final hurdle and just a formality if I get my way.”

“I can’t wait for it to be bloody over,” Buffy closed her eyes at the thought. “I wish it already was.”

“Seems like I’m having some impact on your life already,” Spike soft laughter filled the room. “You said ‘bloody’.”

“Sodding, blimey, shagging, knickers, bollocks…nancy boy,” Buffy giggled softly.

“Hey you,” giving her a gentle cuddle he kissed her forehead softly. “Welcome to the nancy tribe.”