Author's Chapter Notes:
A/N: Dedicated to three important people in this equation – to my beta readers – Kar, Meli and slackerace. With many thanks for all the precious time that they give to me in editing my usual long chapters.
I also give thanks to people who give their time to review chapters and not necessarily just mine, but to any author. You’re very important people to us and I give you my deepest thanks. Or just to people who read and enjoy the fics…thank you for taking the time to keep on reading fan fiction.
Thanks to all the archives that hold my fiction without you, we would have no audience…
The Surrogate


Chapter 20
By
Mercy

The Colour of Envy is Jealousy


Looking concerned, Buffy stared at the small patio table that she had just set for the friends that were expected for lunch. She had wanted to make today just perfect for everyone who had accepted her invitation to a late Saturday lunch. After much consideration, Buffy moved and shuffled cutlery around until there was a place setting for everyone. Spike watched her with a smirk on his face as she potted about the table, shaking his head at her efforts to make sure that everything was just right. He wanted today to go just as well as she did and maybe just that little bit more. Buffy wanted her friends to accept them and the baby so much, and Spike would do anything in his power to make her every wish and desire come true.

It had hurt Buffy deeply when her parents had believed Lily’s lies about her and Spike which led to their total rejection of their youngest daughter. Spike suspected that Buffy might not be able to cope with another rejection from the people she cared so much about. He would do anything in his power to make sure that they wouldn’t even think about hurting her. Even to the extent that Spike was willing to cop all the opposition from her friends that they threw his way. Yet something told him that her friends wouldn’t do that to her, but he would be ready anyway. Spike seriously doubted that no one would have accepted the invitation to lunch if they didn’t care about Buffy.

Buffy pulled one of the chairs away from the table and sat down just for a minute to rest her feet. She had experienced a restless night’s sleep after asking Spike to have her friends over for lunch. Thoughts had gone through her mind about first—whether people would come, and second—what their reaction would be when they saw Spike and her together. Buffy had learned not so long ago that Spike and the baby were her family, and that they were what matter most in the world. However, Buffy could not deny that she needed her friends as well. The biggest hurdle would be Xander. Buffy remembered his reaction to the news when she’d announced her pregnancy to her friends. She knew that Xander would probably resent Spike immensely for getting so involved with her. Xander had always hoped deep down that he and Buffy would become more than just friends despite all the years that Buffy had never shown any interest in him besides friendship.

“Hey Goldilocks.” Spike had quietly walked behind where she was sitting and placed his palms down on her shoulders. Gently he massaged Buffy’s tense muscles under his hands. “Don’t fret love, everything’s ready.”

“I know,” Buffy titled her head back, looking up at Spike,” I’m just worried about….I’m just being silly.”

“Worried about what, Buffy?”

“How they’ll take us as a family,” Buffy sighed as she pulled her head back. “It’s all happened so quickly, even I haven’t had time to catch my breath. So I doubt that they’ve had time get their heads around what’s happened. I’m worried that they’ll say something to you about us or me about the baby….”

“Buffy, they are your friends.” Spike ran a hand under her jaw from behind. “Do you really think that they would do that to you?”

“No, however I just can’t help but think that there might be some resentment.”

“From?” Spike looked intrigued at Buffy’s statement.

“Does it matter?” Buffy tried to smile as she looked up at him again. “It could just be one or all of them that decides that we weren’t meant to be together.”

“If he says one thing Buffy, then I’ll do anything that I can to protect you and the baby,” Spike tightened his hold on her shoulder and caressed her jaw. “He’s not an issue.”

“But Spike, Xander’s always hoped that I would want to be with him….” Buffy suddenly went quiet as the words slipped out of her mouth as she gave Spike the information that he wanted. “Spike, he took the news of the baby pretty badly.”

“Does he know that we’re together?” Spike icily asked. One thing he didn’t want today was to have any male trying to crowd him on his own turf. “That you’re my girl?”

“Unless Tara or Willow has told him, then no,” Buffy swallowed hard. “I’d only assumed that since I hadn’t heard from him that Xander knows everything about us.”

“If he doesn’t then Xander will by the end of the day.” Spike walked around the chair to hunch down onto his knees in front of Buffy.

“Maybe this was a bad idea?” The look of concern agonised over her face, making her wince as she tried to smile.

“I promise to let the boy down slowly and gently, Buffy.” Spike smiled reassuringly at her. “But I’m not having another man trying to claim what’s mine.”

Buffy slightly smirked at Spike’s possessiveness of her, it made her feel all loved, cherished and protected by the most important person in her life. Yet she didn’t want people who she desperately cared about at each others throats, nor did she want to ruin the day for her other friends. It had been so long since Buffy had seen Willow and Tara, which she knew had been reluctance on her part to get them caught up in the chaos that surrounded her. Buffy knew that once they were aware of all the facts, Willow and Tara would be devastated to know that she hadn’t turned to them for help. Something that she now regretted not doing—maybe this whole mess could have been easier to handle if she’d turned to her friends for help.

“Promise me that you’ll behave, Spike.” Buffy gathered both of his hands into hers and gently placed a kiss on each one. “Xander might not even feel anything like that for me anymore.”

“Do you remember that last Christmas we had at your folks and everyone was invited?” Spike looked lost in contemplation as his thoughts went back to that day. Buffy looked at him with a questioning look as she tried to recall the time he was talking about, and as she did nodded her head. “I remember the way he looked at you with a kind of lost look in his eye.”

“I never saw it…never.” Buffy took a slow breath in as she tried to remember that day, tried to think whether she could remember anything. “I can’t even remember him doing anything.”

“I do…because you were looking at me.” Spike’s eyes lit up and became hooded under his lashes as a sudden sharp shudder of desire flooded through him. “I didn’t even see it myself until I realised that you loved me from afar…”

“Then tread lightly Spike,” Buffy grip tightened on his hands as her voice became quiet and enveloped with emotion. “Because I know what it’s like to have unrequited love and it hurts so much. More than you’ll ever know.”

“I know love…I know,” Spike smiled at her. “I’ll try, but I have to make it clear that you’re mine now, and no one is taking that away from me.”

“No need to lay it on so thick Spike,” Buffy smiled. “I think that Xander will get the picture the minute he walks through the door.”

As if on cue, the doorbell chimed before either could continue with their conversation. Looking at Spike for just a moment, Buffy shrugged her shoulders and made her way into the house and to the front door with Spike not far behind. Opening the door to find Willow and Tara standing on the porch with a cooler in each of their hands, Buffy had the biggest grin that they’d ever seen on her face.

“Come in,” Buffy waved them inside the door and into the foyer. “We’re out back today.”

“Ladies, long time no see,” Spike nodded to the women as they walked through the door. “Let me take those for you.” He took each of the coolers and waited for them to pass him so that they could follow Buffy outside.

Both Willow and Tara just openly stared at the man who had claimed their friend for himself. They had met him before today, but that had been when he was with Lily. They looked at each other for a second with concern for their friend and found themselves feeling a little awkward around Spike. What do you say to someone that was once your friend’s brother-in-law and now the father of her child? What topics do you talk about? Do you ask what you’re really dying to ask…are you lovers yet? Are you going to stick around? What if….what if Lily comes back? What then? Too many questions and not enough answers would make anyone feel awkward, but Willow and Tara knew better than to mind their own business. Buffy would tell them when she was ready.

As they walked through the house, both noticed the subtle changes—new furniture that looked expensive and completed renovations that Buffy had always talked about but never got around to doing. Tara stopped to a dead halt in the kitchen, causing Willow bump into her back as Tara took in a deep breath and pointed to the large refrigerator door.

“Is that the baby?” Tara asked as she walked up to the refrigerator and ran her finger over the black and white ultrasound picture and the multicoloured 3-D image of the baby that were attached to the surface. “Isn’t she lov…lovely?”

“Or he,” Spike interjected, “we don’t know if it’s a girl or boy.”

“They couldn’t tell you?” Willow followed Tara to the pictures and smiled, amazed at the technological wonder that allowed her to look at her friend’s baby. Willow could feel her heart melt against any unresolved issues she had about Buffy and the baby. With all the warm fuzzy feelings Willow felt surrounding Buffy, she could tell that her friend and unborn baby were being well looked after and loved by Spike. Instincts screamed at her that all was well between the two of them; Willow couldn’t help but turn to Spike and beam with a smile towards him. “You’re a very lucky man, Spike.”

“I know.”

“Promise me that you’ll call us when she goes into labour,” Willow pointed her finger at Spike. “We’ll come and haunt the corridors with you while you wait.”

“No way,” Buffy huffed, “Spike’s got hand holding duty in the delivery room with me. No leaving me in there by myself.”

“I have no intention of doing so, love,” Spike walked past the women admiring the pictures of his unborn child and made his way to the back door, kicking it softly with his foot to swing it open.

“Spike, don’t kick the door.” Buffy yelled at him shaking her head and thinking ‘give me strength’ to herself. “He knows that annoys me.”

“He is a man. What else do you expect?” Willow laughed at her friends comments. “Sounds like you need to house train him some more. Maybe Lily didn’t do a good enough job?”

“Willow!” Shock covered Tara’s face at what she thought was an insensitive comment from her girlfriend. “Sensi..tivity…not.”

“It’s alright Tara,” Buffy smiled and closed her eyes with her lips pursed. “Lily’s done a lot worse than that to him.”

“Still, Lily’s probably a topic that you don’t want to talk about.” Willow looked down at the floor, regretful that she’d even made the wise crack about Buffy’s sister. “I’m sorry.”

“No biggie,” Buffy opened her eyes and feebly smiled. “I’m not really ready to talk to anyone about Lily. Please understand that there are still things happening between Lily, Spike and myself. I just want to survive Spike’s divorce and the birth.”

“We’re here for you. You know that don’t you?” Willow embraced her friend with a gentle hug. “You’re not in this alone. Buffy you can call us at anytime. Don’t carry this alone. It’s not good for you or the baby.”

“You can ring us, yell for us or at us,” Tara lay a hand over Buffy’s shoulder. “Anytime, any place.”

“I know,” Buffy felt at the guilt she had for not letting her friends in on what was going on in her life inundate her body. She became tense and disheartened at herself as she continued. “I know that I could have called you, but I needed to deal with things myself. Make my decisions without anyone interfering with them. Even if people thought that they were being helpful.”

“Buffy…” Willow felt bad that Buffy thought that they might have interfered with her life so much that she didn’t call them when she really needed someone. “I…”

“I’m not explaining myself properly,” Buffy sighed. Maybe lunch wasn’t such a good idea. “I meant that some people would have attempted to involve themselves more than others. Tara would have let me make up my own mind after listening to me all day. You, Willow, would have listened then advised me but still let me make my own mind up. But Xander….”

“Would have stuck his nose into everything,” Willow nodded her head as she considered what Buffy was saying. “Never would have left you, or Spike, alone to figure it out.”

“I trust you guys with what I tell you, but I know both of you to well,” Buffy smiled. “We can’t keep much from each other for long. Xander would have found out eventually, so I supposed it was easier just to deal with it by myself. The way I wanted to deal with it anyway.”

“And now?” Willow asked.

“I’m sorry about not being the friend that I should have been,” Buffy looked between Willow and Tara. “This is just so complicated, but I don’t want to be without you two anymore.”

“Now that’s what we want to hear,” Willow smiled. “That you can’t live without us.”

“Hey, what about me? Can’t live without me too I hope, pet.” Spike asked behind the screen door. “Can I get you two ladies a drink? Wine, beer or soda?”

“Wine for me,” Willow replied, “please.”

“Soda’s fine,” Tara turned towards the back door. “Do you want a hand?”

“I’m just firing up the barbeque,” Spike opened the back door for Tara as she pushed against the handle to open the door. “Maybe you could get some of the veggies ready for me?”

“Love to.”

Tara disappeared into the backyard with Spike, leaving the two other women alone in the kitchen. Willow moved away from her friend, walked around the island bench, and sat on one of the stools that rested in front of it. Buffy followed, lumbering up into the seat with as much grace that her advancing pregnancy would allow. A look of concern filled Willow’s face as she looked at Buffy’s swollen abdomen, and with a gentle hand she touched her friend’s arm.

“Can I feel the baby?” Willow asked.

“Of course,” Buffy lifted her shirt slightly and took Willow’s hand, laying it against her skin. “I don’t know if the baby’s going to kick.”

“Hello in there,” Willow rubbed her hand slightly against Buffy, “come say hello to your Aunty Willow.”

“I don’t…” Buffy stopped as she heard the doorbell ring. Looking awkwardly at Willow, she tried to smile as Willow removed her hand from her stomach. “Maybe we can try later to get bub to say hello. I better get the door.”

“Do you want me to get the door?” Willow looked towards the front of the house and back at Buffy. “I could have a talk with Xander to see what the lay of the land is.”

“No,” Buffy replied, “better that I just get this over and done with.”

“Buffy, maybe there’s nothing to worry about.” Willow took her friend’s hand. “Maybe you’re just too worried about nothing?”

“I don’t know. Xander wasn’t too happy the last time I saw him, when I told you all that I was pregnant. He went ballistic that I was carrying Spike’s child.”

The doorbell chimed again, this time in repeated repetition as if demanding to be answered and announcing the person at the door’s increasing displeasure at being kept waiting. With some reluctance, Buffy walked towards the front door with Willow not too far behind, ready to offer support if Xander was unfriendly.

“About time,” Xander spoke as the door opened. “I was thinking that I either had the wrong day or the wrong house.”

“Hey Xander,” Buffy pulled the door wide open so that he could walk through with the bag that he carried. “Come in.”

‘Thanks,” Xander walked past Buffy, his eyes fixated on her swollen abdomen. “Gee umm, you’ve gotten bigger.”

“Hello pregnant?” Buffy ran a hand over the baby. “Or haven’t you seen a woman carrying a baby before?”

“Buffy,” Xander shrugged his shoulders, “just stating the obvious.”

“Xander!” Willow nudged her friend in the arm. “I’m here too you know.”

“I know, I know,” Xander shrugged his shoulders again. “I saw you.”

“Okay, Xander we’re out in the backyard,” Buffy pointed towards the back of the house. “Spike’s getting the barbeque ready with Tara. They might want a hand.”

“So, you girls are doing what?” Xander pointed his finger between the two girls. “Maybe I could help you two?” It would seem that he was trying to avoid leaving his two friends.

“Nothing Xander,” Buffy rubbed her temple, “we were just having a quick catch up before we…”

“I was waiting for the baby to kick so that I could feel the baby move,” Willow interjected. “It won’t be long before the baby’s here, but I wanted to say a kind of hello to it. Maybe if you’re behaved, Buffy might let you say hello to the baby.”

“Hmm,” Xander looked quickly away from his friend not sure what to say.

“Buffy?” The conversation between the three was interrupted as Spike’s voice called out from the backyard. “Buffy?”

“I’d better go and see what mess he’s made,” Buffy looked awkwardly at Xander. “Are you coming out?”

“Of course he is,” Willow pulled at a reluctant Xander to get moving towards the back of the house. “Aren’t you Xander?”

Quietly as Willow could, she whispered to Xander to “behave himself or he’d have to answer to her and Tara.” Something that wasn’t missed by Buffy, who still stood by the front door as Willow led Xander down the hallway. Shaking her head, Buffy shut the door and quickly made her way back to where everyone was, ensuring that she wasn’t too far behind Willow and Xander.


~~~***~~~***~~~

Spike heard the backdoor swing open as he sparked the gas underneath the hotplate to a flame. He turned to watch as Buffy, Willow and Xander walked out the door. Turning down the flame, Spike walked over to the other male and offered his hand. With some reluctance, Xander weakly shook Spike’s hand who in retort grasped it tightly as they greeted each other.

“Good to see you could make it,” Spike weakly smiled towards the newest of guests. “How have you been? I think the last time I saw you was at Christmas?”

“Yeah, you were with your wife,” Xander smirked. “How is she? Your wife that is? Doesn’t seem that long since Christmas and how things have changed. You and Lily or should I say you and Buffy?”

“I wouldn’t know how my ex-wife is,” Spike turned back to the barbeque but didn’t miss the hushed bickering that started as soon as he turned his back to the others. He could hear the shocked ‘X-X-Xander!’ from Tara and the ‘Shut up!’ from Willow as she tried to get Xander to be silent. “Buffy is my business and for your information I haven’t talked to Lily except with lawyers present. I doubt that any conversation between Lily and myself would get to the pleasant chitchat level. Especially when Lily’s trying to strip-mine me of nearly everything I have.”

“I wouldn’t bl…” Xander was winded as Willow elbowed him in the side of his chest to keep him from talking. He began to cough as he tried to catch his breath. “Willow?”

“What Xander?” Willow smiled innocently as Spike turned around to look at him with small smirk on his face. “I was wondering how things were going with your latest girlfriend. I’m sure that Spike doesn’t want to talk about Lily.”

“I’m just making friendly conversation about Spike’s happy little family. This just happens to include our dearest friend and her brother-in-law being involved with each other.”

“Sounds more like the beginnings of an in…interrogation of Spike about Lily,” Tara spoke her mind. “Stop it Xander. Right now, before Buffy comes out or Willow and I will str-r-r-ing you up.”

“Can I do anything to help, Spike?” Willow tried to divert the conversation away from the current topic of discussion.

“It’s all under control,” Spike pointed the tongs he now had in his hand and snapped them together towards Xander. “Thank you ladies for coming to my defence, but I’m sure that he’ll behave himself. Won’t you?”

“I…” Xander was speechless, “I’m sure that steak will be fine.”

The door’s hinges creaked as Buffy pushed the screen door open and walked out with a bottle of soda in one hand. Everyone was silent as she made her way towards them, her shoulders hunched as she sensed the chill in the air between the two men. Lines furrowed her forehead as Buffy became frustrated that her fears about Xander making an issue of things seemed to have perpetuated themselves in her absence, as short as that had been. Buffy closed her eyes, extended her jaw slightly, tightening the skin along her cheeks and shook her head as disappointment and anger accumulated inside her.

“Hey Buffster,” Xander tried to appear cool and collected as he spoke with his friend. “How ya doing?”

“Love?” Spike took a step forward towards Buffy as his concern for her increased. With a sharp and sudden movement, Spike turned towards what he perceived to be the cause of her change in disposition.

“Alexander Harris,” Buffy sighed to herself as she still kept her eyes shut, refusing to open them to acknowledge him at all. “You haven’t been here five minutes and already I can feel the tension.”

“Tension? What tension, Buffy?” Xander leaned over his cooler and pulled back the cover to remove a beer. Pulling off the cap, he then took a large swig of the alcoholic beverage. “The only tension here is coming from Captain Peroxide. He’s been dodging every question or comment I’ve said to him.”

“You’ve been interrogating Spike since the very second you arrived!” Willow was losing her temper quickly with Xander. She’d never seen him like this before, ever. “We’re all here to have a nice lunch, not to be nosey and be rude to our friends, Xander.”

“Who said that he was ‘our’ friend?” Xander nodded towards Spike and this time Buffy did open her eyes as she watched one of her oldest and dearest friends reject the man she loved. “We hardly know the man, and what? Suddenly Spike’s our new bestest friend? I don’t think so.”

“Speak for yourself, Xander,” Willow turned on him. “He is Buffy’s choice and we’re her friends. Besides being her friends, Tara and I support her choice.”

“Even if it’s wrong?” Xander pleaded with the others to understand where he was coming from. “He’s her sister’s husband. He’s only with her because of the baby.”

At that outrageous statement, Buffy turned towards Xander and with an outstretched palm, connected her hand with his cheek. Buffy was visibly shaking as she pulled herself back slightly and Xander flinched and the beer he held onto was flung onto the grass below. Spike tore past the women as he made a beeline for the other male that had caused such an outrage to come from his girl. Buffy pulled on Spike’s shoulder just in time as he prepared to strike out blindly at the younger man.

“No Spike!” Buffy pleaded with him. “He’s not worth it. He’s just not worth it.”

Xander stood in front of everyone cradling his now reddened cheek with both his hands, and his eyes filled with confusion. His best friend was standing there, holding back the man that Xander had come to dislike and in some way kind of despise. Jealousy gripped him like a vice around his heart; he’d acted in the heat of the moment as anger coursed through his veins. Confusion penetrated his being as he’d expected Willow and Tara to voice their concerns along with his as they’d openly discussed the day before.

“Just don’t stand there Willow,” Xander’s eyes pleaded with his other best friend to back him up. “Tell her.”

“Tell her what?” Willow was just too stunned even think about what he was going on about. “What are you talking about?”

“Yesterday,” Xander’s voice trembled as he continued, “you, Tara and me. You know, at lunch, we decided that he wasn’t the best choice that Buffy had ever made.”

“Get out!” Buffy screamed at Xander. “Get out of my house.”

“No Xander,” Tara spoke quietly for herself and Willow. “You decided that Spike wasn’t the best decision Buffy had made.” Tara turned towards an outraged Buffy and just hoped that her friend could hear her plea inside the anger that shrouded her. “Willow and I were concerned that all of this had happened too fast, but you—you had already decided before you got here.”

“Spike,” Willow pleaded with him, “you have to understand that we were concerned for Buffy. You had only split up with Lily a few months ago and now Buffy’s pregnant with your child and you’re living together. We were just so concerned for Buffy and you may not believe us, but for you too.”

“Willow,” Xander looked at her with a deep look of betrayal in his eyes. “Why are you doing this? He has come in like he’s the King of Solomon and taken over her life.”

“Because your jealousy is going to destroy our friendship,” Willow looked at her friend. “Go home before you do anymore damage.”

“No more damage than he’s already done,” Xander pointed his finger at Spike. “He is poison Buffy, he’s rotten and evil.”

“The only evil thing I see around here is you Xander,” Buffy turned away from her friend and entwined herself around Spike’s body. “Please go.”

“Fine,” Xander picked up his cooler and walked around to the side gate that would lead him to the street. “Buffy, please…”

“Just go,” Buffy spoke just enough to let Xander hear her words, “you’re not welcome here any more, Xander.”

“Buffy, I…” Xander sputtered as he reeled against Buffy’s open rejection of him and shock that she would do this to him. “Willow…Tara? Come on people, we’ve been friends long before he came along.”

“He,” Buffy swallowed hard as she did what she had to do, “he is my partner, Xander. If you can’t accept him then you don’t accept me or the baby.”

“Buffy, he just left his wife, your sister!” Xander’s voice began to rise. “How can he go from your brother-in-law to partner so quickly?”

“I’m not going to explain that to you, Xander.” Buffy lifted her hand and pointed to the door. “I can’t help who I fall in love with or who I take as my lover. That’s my choice, not yours.”

“You’re lovers?” Xander’s mouth hung open in disbelief. “How could you?”

“Get out,” Spike quietly warned the other male. “The lady politely asked you to leave. Now I’m telling you to leave or I’ll tear you limb from limb.”

“Xander,” Tara spoke quietly to her friend,” please go. We’ll talk later.”

“Please, Xander.” Willow pleaded with him before the situation got any further out of hand. “This isn’t the time or place.”

“Are you going to stay after he’s spoken to me like that?” Xander demanded from Tara and Willow. “Well?”

“Yes I am,” Willow spoke softly after a small pause. “Buffy and Spike are my friends too, Xander. If you can’t behave like a friend, then I don’t know if I want to be—.”

“Will,” Tara spoke as she touched her partner’s arm. “Like you said, this isn’t the time or the place.” Turning to Xander she continued, “Go and we’ll talk later. We care about you too but you’re not thinking straight.”

“I…” Xander looked at his friends once more before he walked away from them. The group stood staring awkwardly into space as they silently listened to Xander slam the gate shut on his way out. The heavy thud of his feet echoed on the concrete path and finally the slamming of his car door shattered the heavy silence. Willow looked up as she heard the car take off. She held her gaze with Spike’s as she tried to awkwardly smile.

“Maybe we should go,” Tara spoke softly to her partner.

“Do you agree with him?” Buffy spat out at Tara and Willow. “Do you think that I made a bad decision?”

“Buffy,” Spike pulled her closer to him, “does it really matter what he thinks? Or what anyone thinks?”

“No Buffy, it shouldn’t matter what other people think,” Willow quietly spoke. “We—Tara and I—were concerned because we hadn’t heard from you since you announced your pregnancy. But honestly, since the minute we arrived we knew that Spike loves you and the baby very much.”

“We know that you made the right choice,” Tara added. “We both love you and the baby. Xander will get over it.”

“Xander’s jealous,” Willow tried to make excuses for him. “Jealous that you got Buffy, Spike. He’s been hoping for years that she’d finally be interested in him and then you sweep her off her feet in a few weeks. Something that Xander hasn’t been able to do ever, ergo his jealousy.”

“I know he is but it doesn’t excuse his behaviour,” Buffy sighed.

“No it doesn’t but,” Tara grabbed Willow’s arm, “we’re here and we’re with you one hundred percent.”

“I don’t want to come between you three,” Buffy took a deep breath. “Or have to make you choose me or Xander, because Spike’s part of the package now. Xander either grows up or he’ll get left behind.”

“Buffy, that’s a bit harsh don’t you think?” Willow asked her.

“After what I’ve been through lately, this is a picnic.” Buffy looked at Spike and then back at her two friends. “Xander’s been my friend for far too long to throw our friendship away like that. I only hope….”

“He’ll be back, Buffy, with his tail between his legs,” Tara whispered. “You know Xander, he always reacts before he thinks.”

“Yeah, opens mouth and inserts foot,” Willow laughed.

“I hope so Willow,” Buffy smiled at her, “I really hope so.”