Author's Chapter Notes:
Please note that this is a rough version because I can't wait for your reaction!
The Surrogate
Chapter 22
By Mercy
NC-17 for sexual content
Thanks to Kar for all your help so far
Please note that this is a rough version because I can't wait for your reaction!



The Sound of White

“Hey sweetheart.” Spike took the shopping bags out of Buffy’s hands as she struggled with the load she carried. “Told you that you should let me carry the shopping in when you get home.”

“But…” Buffy leaned against the counter of the kitchen letting herself get her breath back. “I’m pregnant, not an invalid.”

“You’re about to pop junior out and you’re carrying a weeks worth of groceries in both your hands when you knew I was home working.” He placed the offending bags on the kitchen counter and began to unpack. “Only reason I knew was the swearing I heard from upstairs as you were struggling with the bloody door.”

“I don’t swear.” She began to blush in embarrassment at being caught swearing when she chided Spike about it all the time. “I didn’t.”

“So ‘open you beeping door’ doesn’t count?” He moved to the fridge to place the dairy items that lay in his hand inside. “Suppose that you’re swearing at an inanimate object you’ll lay at my feet for picking up such unlady like language?”

“Too right I do and anything else that I can.” She turned herself to the side so that she could hug Spike with all the rush of love that she felt in that one moment for no other reason that he was there with her. “Even this really poor impersonation of a cockney accent.”

“Please stop. Now before you do any more damage to my poor feelings and make my ears bleed.”

“Awh, you’re no fun.” Buffy kissed him awkwardly on the cheek and let him go as she retreated back to the dining table and sat down with a tired sigh.

“Tired, my sweet?” He asked with a soft tone. “You do too much for a pregnant lady.”

“Gargantuan you mean,” she huffed at even the thought that he wanted her to slow down.

“Gorgeoustuan you mean.” He lifted a bottle of water in one hand and carton of milk in the other. “How about a nice cool drink for the sexy hot mama to be?”

“Me? Sexy? Like this?” She laid her hand over her expanded tummy. “You’ll need a crane soon to get me on and off the bed soon. Let alone making you all hot and heavy.”

“You’re kidding me, right?” Spike turned to the island counter pulling out a glass and poured a glass of milk. “You think that I don’t want to be with you?”

“It must be a turn off to see me like this?” She pouted her lips and defied him to tell her other wise. “All big and clumsy.”

“You are not big.” He moved slowly to where Buffy sat placing the glass of milk in front of her. “You are a glorious shape filled with our baby and you’re not clumsy just a bit wobbly with carrying our little miracle.”

“Fat and repulsive.” She pushed the glass of milk aside.

“Fuckable and fuckable more like it, love.” He titled his chin with his sexiest smirk on it. “You need me to tell you that I want to kiss, lick and suck every part of you’re pregnant body. Baby, don’t you feel my stiff cock every time you come 50 feet in front of me or every night we cuddle in bed? I have a permeant hard on and it’s all for you.”

“God you’re crude,” Buffy huffed at him again.

“And it turns you on, you little deviant. Doesn’t it?” He pushed the glass towards her again gesturing to her that she drink it. “Come on, Buffy, drink it.”

“Yes, I am a deviant because it makes me hot.” She pushed the glass away once more. “And, no, I’ve drunk enough milk to keep a dairy farm in operation for a zillion years. Enough of the milk already,” she looked slightly frustrated as Buffy squished her face up in revulsion.

“But, love, its soooo beneficial for you.” He tapped the glass with his finger on the side. “Full of cowy goodness.”

“Cowy goodness?” She finally took the glace and reluctantly took a sip. “Now that is lame. Can’t you come up with anything better to wise crack about.”

“Well I could easily start the wise cracking as you so eloquently. You are such as easy target, so easy that something immediately comes to mind like the colour that you want to paint the nursery.” He lifted up that paint colour brochure that had been sitting on the table in front of Buffy. “Chocolate Drop? You want to paint our kids’ bedroom brown? Please ‘Chocolate Drop’ more like ‘Crap Drop’?”

“Chocolate drop is a beautiful colour and it’s a feature wall you idiot.” She pulled the brochure from his hand. “You stick to what you know best and I’ll stick to what I know best.”

“Meaning?”

“You stick to being a lawyer, and I’ll decorate the house how I like,” She stuck here tongue out at him in defiance. “No sterile white here, sunshine.”

“White? I hate white. Why would I want you to decorate the nursery in white?” He looked questionably at her as he didn’t have an obvious clue about what she was talking about.

“Your last place,” She whispered wishing that she hadn’t said anything at all as she realised that she’d probably opened a can of worms. “It was so white that sometimes it reminded me of a hospital, all sterile and plain.”

“I love colour.” Spike sat down next to his beloved, “I hate white. I can’t stand it and I never want to see another white wall, sofa or carpet again. That was all Lily’s fixated decorating idea, I just lived in it. If you can call not having a speck of dirt on me allowed in the house for fear of dirtying it, living then I don’t want it thank you.”

“I know she was pretty fanatical about it.” She shook her head in as if to try and shake away a bad memory. “Shoes off at the front door and wash your hands before you touch anything.”

“I remember that I had to take my shoes of on the patio and enter with my socks.” He softly laughed at the ridiculous things that his soon to be ex-wife made him do. “She used to make to wear these silly grandpa slippers when we had no visitors and made me scrub the loo after I’d taken a piss, rim and all.”

“You cleaning the loo,” She broke out in a deep laughter which made her hold onto her swollen abdomen as she tried to imagine him with a brush in his hand cleaning out the toilet. “Now that I got to see you do and since you’ve volunteered the information you can clean the loo’s as I’m so over them. Well I can’t get over them anymore or around them because of you.”

“Me, what did I do?”

“Got me pregnant.” She looked down at her tummy. “Or is this just some funny growth?”

“I’d happily get you pregnant again anytime, Miss Summers,” He lifted his hand forward to clasp hers as he stood so that she’d stand with him. “Or if you require any further instruction on just how I’ll get you pregnant in the future, just ask me I’ll happily oblige.”

“I’d blissfully take you up on your offer, but I’m otherwise currently engaged.” She rubbed her hand against her abdomen. “Someone has beat you to it and is currently having a game of tootsies against the side of my bladder. So you’d better excuse me for a moment…”

The ring of the phone interrupted any further conversation with its shrill sound. He waved his hand motioning to her to continue her journey. With a soft sigh of frustration at being interrupted he mumbled to himself that whoever called had better have a bloody good reason to interrupt Buffy and himself.

“Hello,” He spat into the phone receiver not really caring who he offended on the other end of the phone. “What do you want?”

“Well what a lovely way to speak to your mother,” Evelyn Freemantle chided her son. “I thought that I’d taught you better manners than that young man?”

“Sorry, Mum.” Spike immediately apologised.

“So you should be.” His mother sounded slightly peeved at her son as Evelyn reprimanded him. “Anyway I’m not calling you up to give you a lecture about manners.”

“Thank fu…god for that,” He whispered almost to himself.

“What?”

“Nothing, Mum,” He thought that he should just keep his mouth shut before he got onto anymore trouble from the one of the few women in his life that could make him tremble in fear from just the sound of her voice. “What’s up?”

“What’s up? Maybe I should take you back to Miss Newton or whatever that woman’s name was to teach you elocution lessons again like when you where five.” She threatened her son like he was a mischievous teenager.

“Okay, okay, Mum,” Spike hissed at his mother with some boyhood resentment that he still had against her having to talk those fucking awful lessons from some old biddy who thought she could speak the Queens English better than an Englishman. “What can I do for you?”

“Mrs Holliman, you know her she’s Harold Holliman’s wife who used to work with your father.” His mother would most likely go into further explanation of who on earth she was talking about if she hadn’t heard the large sigh of exasperation from Spike. “Well anyway she volunteers at All Saints, and she said that she’d seen you with some mystery woman at the admissions desk relishing to everyone that the woman also just happened to be ‘heavily with child’. I mean really it was like she’d never seen a pregnant couple before in a hospital of all places but of course she had to be gossiping about my son, didn’t she? I might add to anyone that would stop for two minutes so that she could spread her malingering gossip.”

“So?” He felt like he wanted to just hang up there seemed no point in this conversation. “Your point, Mother?”

“You and Buffy are having the child at All Saints? May I ask why you’re not having the baby at the ASMC?” Mrs. Freemantle sounded like she was rebuffing her place in society for daring to have the baby in the main public area of the hospital. “AS is fine, but ASMC is better.”

“Mum, what is ASMC?” Spike sighed again into the receiver of the phone. “I don’t have the faintest about what you are talking about?”

“All Saints Medical Centre, dear. I want the baby born there.”

“That would be fine, Mum, but Buffy wants the baby at All Saints not the Medical Centre. She’s having the baby so she gets to choose.” Spike pointed out the facts to his mother. “She’ll have the baby where she’s the most comfortable.”

“Yes, but at the Medical Centre she could have her own room and bathroom.” He could hear the English snobbishment pouring out of his mother. He wondered how on earth his parents ended up together with his father not having a drop of snob in him or the belief of class differentiation between any populations. “Her own midwife and the best doctors on hand.”

“Mum, Buffy’s already got the best doctor money could buy, Dr Singer’s going to do the delivery.” He pointed out to his mother, “She’ll have her own midwife at AS anyway.”

“But...”

“No buts, Mum, that’s how we want it and that’s the way that it’s going to be,” Spike scratched his head instead of banging it against the nearest wall like he really wanted to do as it would surely be less painful than dealing with his mother. “Anything else I can do for you?”

“Fine if you want the baby at AS than that’s fine,” Evelyn Freemantle felt like she’d truly been put in her place by her son. “Could I at least help Buffy with the decorating of my grandbaby’s room?”

“Done.”

“Oh…clothing?”

“Mum, it’s all ready for the baby, where just waiting for the little mite to come out into the world.” He couldn’t help but hear the loud disappointment coming from the other end of the phone at his mother’s hurt that she wouldn’t be involved in any type of activity that would welcome the baby into the world. “You know that the only thing that you and Dad really need to do is just be there for all three of us. Especially for Buffy, Mum, she’s had a hard enough time of it all already, and maybe if she knew that she had your support then the whole thing for her might be easier.”

“My support?” She hadn’t really allowed herself to think beyond the fact that his wife had left him and now she had an unexpected grandchild on the way. To tell the tEvelyn she hadn’t really given any thought to Buffy and she could tell by the tone that her son had taken when he’d told her just how she could help by supporting Buffy that this fact really hurt her son deeply. “Of course I’ll give her my full support. She’s carrying my little grandbaby.”

“Mum she’s not an incubator,” Spike retorted.

“I know that. Don’t get smart with me I still can take you over my knee you now. You’ll never be to old you know,” Evelyn threatened her son with a spanking. “Where is Buffy? Can I speak with her?”

“Hang on Mum, she’s just coming in now,” Spike held out the phone to Buffy who’d seemed to have returned from her dash to the loo.

“No,” Buffy waved her hand out trying to get Spike to make some excuse for not taking the phone call. She blatantly remembered the last time that she’s spoken with Spike’s mum and that had ended in emotional time considering the crisis that they’d been having at that point in their relationship. “Please, no.”

“Com’on love, gotta face her sometime.”

With some great reluctance Buffy took the phone out of Spike’s hand and spoke with a quiet determination in her voice to her future mother-in-law. “Hello Mrs Freemantle, how are you doing?”

“Fine, very fine indeed.”

“That’s good,” Buffy could feel the beginnings of a long quiet gap coming as both women seemed unsure as what to say to the other, to afraid that they’d either offend or scare the other off. “Ummm anything that I can help you with today?”

“Buffy,” Spike whispered to his love as Buffy spoke to his mother. “For gods sake make it quick and painless please.”

“Pardon me Buffy but what is my son going on about?” Evelyn asked Buffy.

“He wants me to make it ‘quick and painless’,” Buffy lightly laughed into the phone. “He’s being a pain again.”

“You don’t have to convince me my dear.” Her voice sharpened a little against her son’s apparent lack of understanding in her needed to want to contribute to her grandchild’s life. “Anyway dear, I just wanted to see if I could do anything to help with the baby. Furniture, clothing, car seats or help out financially? Anything my dear, anything?”

“We have everything I think Mrs Freemantle,” Buffy leaned over and smacked Spike on his forehead with the palm of her hand as he made a face. “Maybe you could come out here and discuss it with your loving son?”

“Would you mind if I did? Maybe I could make an inventory of what you’ve got and what you might need that you don’t have.” Her anticipation of coming over flooded her tone and Buffy could have sworn that Evelyn Freemantle was probably salivating at the lips with just the thought of being involved with Buffy’s child.

Spike now stood directly in front of Buffy as he waved his hands across each other in a pleading ‘no’ fashion, mouthing the word frantically as a sudden idea hit Buffy’s brain, one that would probably put him into a tail spin. An idea that would probably take him all day she hoped and would get him out of her hair for a while to give herself some ‘Buffy time’. She finally might be able to get to the local Day Spa without Spike insisting that he come with her.

“You know Mrs Freemantle, you’ve just given me an idea.” Buffy wickedly smiled towards Spike with a slightly evil slant on her mouth. “Maybe Spike could take you to the mall and buy that highchair that he’s been promising to for months now. Come to think of it I could use a diaper bag and some more wash clothes.”

“Oh wonderful,” Evelyn Freemantle’s sigh of relief was deep and meaningful across the phone line. “But what if I get the wrong bag design Buffy?”

“Please don’t worry Spike knows all the patterns and themes that I have for the baby and the pram. Also which highchair that I wanted and I mean the one I want not the one he wants. If he tries to talk you into the timber one than he’s lying, I want the one that we can later use as a chair and table when the baby’s a toddler.”

“I know the one that you mean an absolutely fabulous idea.” Evelyn laughed and snorted at Buffy’s instructions. “Also another thing Buffy, please call me Evelyn.”

“Umm…” Buffy felt slightly stunned at Spike’s mothers request as it was one that she wasn’t expecting. Evelyn Freemantle had always favoured Lily over Buffy every time that they’d meet at family gatherings. Buffy didn’t forget that Evelyn was probably biased considering that Lily was her daughter-in-law and Buffy had been nothing but the plain sister to a regal beauty as far as the Freemantle’s had been concerned. “Sure…umm…Evelyn.”

“It’ll get easier my dear with proper usage,” Evelyn spoke with a tender undertone. “I’m sorry about anything I did or said in the past Buffy. You having my son’s child has shown me what a loving and giving person you are. I don’t know if I could have had a baby for my sister and her husband in the first place, but most importantly I don’t know if I could have continued with my pregnancy. All I can say is that thank god you’re a stronger person than me and that you saw something in my son that Lily couldn’t.”

“Thank you,” was all Buffy could say as her voice cracked under her emotions. She could feel the tears slowly flow down her face as Evelyn let all her feelings spill out over the phone. “I see the man that he is and always will be. A good honest man that would do anything for me and our child.”

Spike stood motionless aghast against the woman who’d just made him feel loved and truly invincible with just a few words Buffy had expressed everything that he wanted to be for her. He took the phone from her hand and hung it up after a curt ‘goodbye’ to his mother. Spike lifted a hand to her face and wiped the tears that she’d unknowingly shed in revealing her emotions to his mother.

“Tell me again what you just said,” Spike needed to hear her say it again.

“I see the man that you are, a good and honest man that would sacrifice himself if I asked him to.”

“Tell me you want me,” he needed to hear her say it even though she’d said it and demonstrated it to him many times.

Buffy had quickly learned in their relationship that he was just as frightened that she would leave him like Lily did with cause or purpose. Except this time she would be taking away something more than herself but their child. So she gave into his need realising that she’d have to somehow break this insecurity one way or another.

“I want you.”

“Tell me you need me.”

“I need you,” Buffy leaned over and kissed him gently on the lips. “I’ll always need you.”

“Tell me you love me,” Spike’s voice cracked with yearning to hear her say the words to him again. Once, twice, a zillion times would never be enough but to him in this moment it felt like eternity just waiting for her to say the words that she always responded with like a distant memory playing repeatedly.

“I love you, you know I do.”

“Always sweetling, always.”