CHAPTER 10 -- Tara

Tara glanced at the name and address on the crumpled piece of paper in her hand, then at the store in front of her. This was the place, all right. She expected it to be bigger. The assignments Lilah usually had Spike and her working on were quite ritzy. This had a small, hometown feel to it. She liked it a lot.

Tara cautiously pushed open the door, setting off a bell that sounded her arrival. She looked around in front of her, the place was deserted. She was about to turn on her heels and hunt down a payphone to call Spike’s cell when a clatter had her jumping out of her skin. Composing herself, she followed the sound of screaming that followed the clatter, nervous that something bad may have happened. With all the publicity the little store with no security guard was getting lately, it wouldn’t surprise her if someone tried to rob it. To her left and down a couple stairs was a wall of mirrors where the future brides could admire themselves. To the right was a velvet maroon curtain that led behind the mirrors and into the changing rooms.

“Hello?” she called tentatively.

From behind the curtain she heard more commotion, then it opened to reveal a smiling red haired girl. At the sight of her, Tara blushed and bowed her head.

“Hi! You must be Tara, I’m Willow.” Tara smiled and shook her hand, but jumped when there was another loud thud.

Tara was worried, “Is everything okay?”

Willow looked at her confused. “What do you mean?”

“Should we . . . Um . . . Call he police or, um, something?” She glanced warily back to where the commotion was coming from.

Willow’s eyes widened, “Oh. That’s just Spike and Buffy.”

Spike came out from behind the curtain. He smiled when he saw his assistant, “Hey, Tara. You find the place alright?” Tara nodded slowly. “Great.” He seemed about to say something else when he was hit in the side by a high heel. His smile instantly vanished and his head shot to the curtain, where the offending item had flown from, “Summers, if you throw one more thing at me I’m going to come back there and ram it so far up your ass . . .” Spike stormed behind the display of mirrors.

Willow felt embarrassed by the open display of hate that Buffy and Spike had no problem showing. She looked nervously at Tara, “We thought they were getting along. They even went skating together yesterday. But then we all met here to get Buffy ready for her date, Spike came in in a bad mood, Buffy got cold feet, and, well, now they’re at it again.” Willow shrugged helplessly.

Willow nervously babbled to distract Tara from the small war going on, “Buffy’s meeting us at the Bronze after her date. You coming with?”

Tara was grateful for the conversation, “I’m supposed to follow Spike and help do an article on Buffy, so I guess so.”

The harsh screaming that reissued had Tara grasping onto Willow’s arm. It grew louder and louder until the curtain once again flew back and out marched an agitated blonde fighting with a dark haired man about the proper color of bridesmaid dresses. She was concerned that the other girls in the wedding would take away from the attention she should be receiving. The man was yelling to get a word in edgewise but the girl continued to ignore him. But the fighting didn’t stop there. Spike emerged next, his face red with the amount of screaming he was doing and had a girl, who Tara assumed to be the one who had thrown the shoe, slung over his shoulder in a fireman’s carry. She was violently kicking and screaming, saying she wasn’t ready yet and refused to go be his guinea pig of dating.

Willow let them stand there for another minute before interrupting, “Um, guys?”

The arguing instantly stopped and she was met with a violent quartet of “What!?” Willow gently nudged her head in Tara’s direction.

Buffy, lifted her head from it’s current upside-down state and smiled, “Hi, you must be Tara.” Buffy surveyed their little group. She blew a fluff of hair out of her face, “Welcome to Sunnydale.”

TBC