CHAPTER 25 -- Showers

Author's Note: Thank you to everyone who's sticking with (and reviewing) this story, I'm really having a great time writing it! And again, thanks for all of you voting for "Comedown" on Spuffy Archives! Happy reading!

“That’s FIVE!” a woman yelled at Anya from her place at one of the white linen covered tables. The room burst out into laughter.

Buffy, Willow, and Tara stood next to Anya, who sat amongst strewn wrapping paper and empty toaster boxes. When she was done tearing into one wedding present, Willow would hand the grabby bride-to-be another. Dawn came running over to the group. “Why do they keep counting like that?” She asked, annoyed she wasn’t in on the joke.

“It’s an old superstition for wedding showers. All the ribbons the bride breaks is supposed to be the number of kids she’s going to have,” Tara answered.

“Six!” A group of family members called out. Anya seemed unfazed by her growing number of offspring.

“Sweetheart, take it for someone with three children -- easy on the ribbon!” a woman called.

Anya smiled brightly, “That’s alright. That means more orgasms for me and more expensive presents from all of you in honor of the birth of each of my children . . . and their subsequent birthdays ever year after.”

While the crowd was charmed by the young woman, Buffy and the rest of the bridesmaids rolled their eyes. Anya’s hand shot out and Buffy took yet another shiny ribbon from her, dutifully weaving it into a Styrofoam plate.

“Now what are you doing?” Dawn asked.

“Taking the bows from the gifts and making a bouquet out of them. She’ll carry it during the wedding rehearsal.”

Dawn slouched, “Jeez I’ll never remember all this stuff. When you and Spike get married, I’m going to be the worst maid of honor ever.”

Buffy smiled at her sister, “That’s okay, mom and Willow will help . . . . Wait, who’s getting married!?” Willow and Tara exchanged smiles and barely contained laughs.

“You and Spike,” Dawn answered slyly.

Buffy looked to the sky, “Oh for the love of God! Dawn have you been talking to Spike!?” Buffy had her hands on her hips, head cocked to the side.

“No,” Dawn answered. “It doesn’t take a genius to figure it out. Jeez Buffy, if you two don’t get married all your unresolved sexual tension will have been pointless.”

“Where did you learn about unresolved sexual tension? You shouldn’t know anything about that,” Buffy scolded.

“Why Buffy, what has Spike been saying?” Willow asked smiling, taking joy in her friend’s discomfort. Apparently she wasn’t feeling guilty about Buffy’s romantic situation anymore.

“Nothing,” Buffy replied quickly. “Not a thing, haven’t seen him.”

“I still can’t believe he quit his nice cushy job for you,” Willow marveled.

“Agh, don’t remind me. I feel bad enough as it is.” Buffy looked at the couple next to her. He eyes widened in shock, “Oh God, Tara you lost your job and it’s all my fault! I am so sorry!”

Tara didn’t look too concerned, “Oh, don’t worry about me. Spike’s got something lined up,” she smiled secretively.

Buffy sighed, exasperated, “What is it about Spike that brings out nothing but optimism and confidence in you people?”

“What did he say?” Willow pushed.

Buffy exhaled in defeat, “He wants to start over.”

Willow’s eyes lit up, “Oh, that’s so romantic!”

“Excuse me!” Anya interrupted their conversation. “But as bridesmaids you are required to fawn over me! I’m not feeling very fawned! You can talk about Spike and Buffy having sex AFTER my wedding!”

Buffy face proceeded to change to a lovely shade of red. Tara gave the group a crooked smile, “Well, this wedding shouldn’t be too bad.”

“Have you seen the bridesmaid dresses?” Buffy panned.

Willow turned on her, “And who was the one who let her pick them out!?”

Buffy grimaced, “She was a tyrannt! You’re lucky you’re wearing the ones that you are! You should have seen the tapioca nightmare I talked her out of!” They all turned back to the demanding bride.

“Ohhhhh, a red lace teddy!” Anya screamed, handing Buffy another broken ribbon.

_______________________________________

While the girls continued to ooh and aah over candles and bedspreads, Xander and Spike were at the Bronze, keeping it simple with beer and pool.

Xander knocked the six into the corner pocket, but missed his next shot. Clem leaned against the wall, watching as Spike perused around the table for a shot.

“So, Spike, when are you gonna get hitched?” he asked.

Spike opened his mouth to speak, but Xander interrupted.

“No, no, no,” Xander slapped a hand on Spike’s back, “Man are you barking up the wrong tree! Spike here is the proverbial bachelor,” he announced proudly. “He’ll never settle down in one place.”

Spike quirked an eyebrow at is friend, “That’s not true.”

“Oh, no,” Xander continued without taking heed to the blonde’s words, “Spike is my idol. He wanders the world alone, open to any good time that comes his way, may it be blonde, brunette, or redhead.” Xander threw back his beer, gulping heartily.

Spike pivoted on his heels, leaning on his pool stick, to face his friend, “I quit my job and plan on marrying Buffy,” he deadpanned truthfully.

Xander sputtered his drink out of his mouth. Spike hit him on the back a few times to dull the violent coughs. “What!?” he shrieked. “You quit your job? Marrying Buffy? Since when do you like Buffy? Well, yeah, I knew you had become friends but . . . What!? When did this happen?”

Spike thought about it for a moment, “I’m not sure.”

“So . . . No more models?” Xander looked utterly let down.

Spike shrugged, “Sorry I didn’t live up to your expectations, mate.”

“Marry Buffy,” Xander said dismayed. He had seen Buffy earlier in the day. She hadn’t said a word. “Wait,” Xander shook his head, “Does Buffy know that you two are getting married?”

Spike couldn’t help but smile, “She will.”

______________________________________

“I thought only the groom was supposed to show up.” Buffy stood akimbo in front of the only non-groom man in the room.

Spike sent a glance towards the brunette, “Xander didn’t feel comfortable in a room full of wedding-obsessed women. He said I could work a room of females better than he could.”

“That I believe,” Buffy replied, picking crumpled tissue paper off the floor.

Spike glanced around the wedding shower, everyone too wrapped up in the bride and groom to notice him or Buffy. He placed his hands on her hips, bringing her back towards him. “Wanna get outta here, luv?” he whispered in her ear.

She spun around, “I’m the maid of honor! I’m not supposed to leave.”

“Yeah, and as the best man I’m asking if you want to get out of here,” he replied.

Buffy dropped her jaw at his pure ignorance of nuptial responsibility. It lasted about two seconds before she sagged in relief. “God, yes, let’s go.” She grabbed his hand, leading him out thorough the kitchen door, “Quick before Bridezilla sees us.”

TBC