CHAPTER 28 -- Plans For The Future

Buffy woke up to the distinct smell of pancakes wafting from the kitchen. She looked around at the snug cocoon she was wrapped in. She was on her side facing Spike, his right leg nestled between her own. Before she had woken up, her head had been neatly tucked under his chin. Both his arms were wrapped tightly around her, her hands rested on his chest, one still clutching his t-shirt. Somewhere during the night he had pulled the blanket off the back of the couch and draped it over them. She wasn’t sure when she had fallen asleep, but all she knew was that she hadn’t slept that easily and soundly in a long time. Speedy Gonzales beeped across the television screen behind her. She turned her attention back to the man next to her and admired his face and boyish features while he slept. She kissed his scared brow and ran her thumb over his cheekbone before gently extracting herself from his arms.

Buffy padded into the kitchen to find her mother huddled over a bowl of pancake batter.

“It’s about time you got up. Is Spike still asleep?” Buffy nodded in the affirmative, taking a seat at the counter and pouring herself some orange juice. Joyce busied herself around the kitchen, shooting the occasional glances at her daughter until she realized that looking nosey would be inevitable, “So,” she started, “When did this happen?” She nodded her head in the direction of the boy asleep in her living room, a bright smile tugging at her lips.

Buffy rolled her eyes, “No gloating.”

Joyce’s smile widened, “I’m not gloating. Can’t a mother just be happy when she comes home early from a business trip to find two of her favorite children asleep in each other’s arms on her couch?”

Buffy sighed at her mother’s simplistic romanticism, “We ‘found’ each other years ago. We just recently stopped hating each other.”

Buffy went back into the living room. Sitting down gently on the couch next to Spike, careful not to wake him. She ran light fingering caresses over his features. When he inhaled deeply at her touch, she raked her fingers through his mussed hair. He nuzzled into the caress.

“Hey sleepyhead,” she greeted quietly as his eyes blinked open.

Spike smiled, pleased with they way he was awoken, and arched off the couch in a feline stretch, “What time is it?”

“Quarter past twelve,” she answered, playing with the skin of his abdomen that had been exposed during his movements. In reply, Spike snuggled deeper into the couch, pulling Buffy to lie down with him. She giggled as he re-intertwined his arms and legs around hers. They lay with each other, running lazy hands up and down the other’s body.

“Well, mom’s making animal shaped pancakes if you’re interested,” Buffy said, glancing up at her boyfriend, fingers walking up under his t-shirt.

Spike grabbed her wandering digits, kissing the tips and smiling, “Always.”

Buffy sat up, pulling Spike up and onto his feet. Not letting go of his hand she led him eagerly into the kitchen and to the table.

“So, what are you two up to today?” Joyce asked, flipping a stack of pancakes onto each plate and passing them to the couple.

Buffy looked at Spike questioningly and he shrugged. “I don’t know,” Buffy answered for them. “Hanging out, maybe a skate in the park.”

Spike put his fork down, tilting his head at Buffy thoughtfully, “I want to show you something later.”

“Okay,” Buffy agreed easily. “What is it?”

“A surprise,” he answered, turning back to his food, giving her no more clues.

___________________________________________

Spike pulled over to the side of the road and he and Buffy walked off the street up to a boarded up shop, a construction sign on it’s window. Spike reached into his pocket, surprising Buffy by producing keys and unlocking the door.

“Are you sure we’re allowed in here?” she glanced around at passing strangers.

“I promise I’m not tattering your record, Summers,” he replied, pushing open the door.

Buffy entered to find a vast room filled with boxes and various tools. A thick coat of sawdust covered everything -- evidence of a wall having jut been knocked down. Branching off the bigger room was several other rooms about the size of Buffy’s bedroom.

“What do you think, luv?” Spike asked expectantly, studying her reaction.

Buffy searched her dusty surroundings, “I think the owner need to find another maid.”

“I take offense to that,” Spike smirked.

Buffy turned to him, “Why?”

“I bought it.”

“You what?”

“It’s mine,” he replied. “I’m opening my own studio.”

Buffy’s eyes brightened at his enthusiasm, “What do you know about owning a business?”

Spike sighed, “Not much. But Tara knows a lot. She’s the co-owner.” He continued on in front of her, “This will be the main desk over here,” he pointed towards the far right corner. “We’ll knock out these front walls and put in glass windows that can display our work.” He ran over to the line of doors, “I’m thinking in each of these rooms here, we can build a different set. That way everything can be really detailed and pre-set at the beginning of the day so me and Tara can keep up with the appointments better.”

Buffy continued to stare at her surroundings in awe.

“Think of it: I’m only ten minutes away from your store. Willow splits her time between there and school just down the road. She’ll be stopping in here to visit her girl.” He wrapped his arms around her waist as they continued to stroll around the territory. “I can visit you anytime I want. We can work out our hours so we can have lunch together everyday and close up at the same time. I can pick you up at the end of the day.” Buffy closed her eyes, letting his dreams and plans wash over her. “And we’re just down the street from the daycare and elementary school. If anything happens, either of us could easily go get the kids.”

Buffy was momentarily jolted at his mention of their children. But mulling over the future some more, she let herself fully envision her life in a few years. And for the first time it didn’t scare her. Pictures of a little boy with blonde curls and mischievous blue eyes danced through her head.

She turned around in Spike’s arms, kissing him soundly, “I think that sounds wonderful.”

TBC