Chapter 7 -- Make Me Over and Over

Author’s Note: Wanna say thank you for all the wonderful reviews and an extreme thanks to Carol, her genius, and her charity in giving me a go at her brainchild.


“So nice you could join us.”

As he entered through the salon’s revolving door, Spike didn’t bother to hide his wide yawn as he rubbed his eyes and tried to place the voice. His eyes focused and saw the whole group standing in the lobby, not one of them looked particularly surprised at his fashionable entrance. It hadn’t been very hard for Spike to get an appointment in the nicest salon Sunnydale had to offer -- he had once gotten the owner laid by the captain of the University of Sunnydale’s football team. “What time is it?” he asked through yet another yawn.

“Twelve-forty five.” Xander answered.

“Not that late,” he grumbled. “Where’s Buffy?”

“Already in the chair,” was his response. Xander tried to make a crack on Spike’s lateness, “She’s been there for an hour and forty five minutes.”

Spike nodded, “Glad to hear it.”

Dawn piped up as Spike approached the conglomerate of friends, “I picked out Buffy’s new outfit, she looks really pretty.” After a pause she added, “Willow and Anya helped too.”

Spike smiled at her excitement, “I bet she does, Bit.” Dawn had never been at the Summers home during the few times Spike had been there. He suspected part of that was due to Buffy’s insistence she be forced out of the house when her friends were over. Dawn was sweet, always trying to play with the big kids.

“Spikey-baby, how are you darlin’?” A flamboyant man in a Armani suit entered through a set of swinging doors separating the lobby and hairdressing section. “Still swinging for the wrong team?”

“Lorne,” Spike greeted the salon owner in response. “ ‘Fraid I’m still straight as an arrow.”

“Well, the day you decide . . .” Lorne gave him a suggestive wink. Spike had known Lorne long enough and been around enough gay hairdressers to not be bothered by the comment. He’d heard worse.

But Xander apparently hadn’t. The shock on the boy’s face was almost comical. Lorne noticed this and gave the brunette a wink too. Turning back to Spike, he insinuated to Spike’s newest model makeover.

“Oh, Spike, who is that sweet-as-pie cutie Sergio’s working on. She’s just the nicest thing!”

Spike smiled, “You must be mistaken, mate. The girl I got here is a spit-fire.”

“Well I bet she is in certain situations, if you know what I mean. But anywho, I love her. I don’t know Spikey-kins, I think you should keep this one around for a while.”

“It’s not like that, mate. This one’s a friendly favor.”

Lorne looked doubtful, “Aren’t they all?” He opened his mouth to say something else, but was distracted. “Oh, here’s are little princess. Gorgeous.”

Spike turned around but was too late as Buffy was rushed upon and he lost her in the crowd. Buffy herself was a little overwhelmed. Dawn was tugging on her new honey blonde tresses and Willow exclaimed for her to turn around so she could fully admire her new dress. It wasn’t until a few of them parted that Spike finally got a good look at her.

Spike’s Adam’s apple bobbed dramatically at what he saw. Gone were the brown ringlet curls having been replaced by lightened layers making her look like the California girl she was. The same pink lip gloss she’d been wearing for as long as Spike had known her was now an enticingly strawberry lipstick. Her eyes were lined with brown making her hazel eyes shine out.

But it wasn’t the makeover that made her look different in Spike’s eyes. Granted, she glowed, but she looked so happy with all the attention she was getting. Buffy had never been one to want to stick out in a crowd and had, in Spike’s opinion, done everything in her power to make herself blend in with the world. But she couldn’t have picked a more eclectic group of friends. Buffy, until this day, had never branched out from their group as the rest of them had. Willow went the lesbian Wicca route, Xander had a habit of dating women looked upon to be out of his league and had now settled down with Anya, and Spike had left Sunnydale the day they graduated and went to the L.A. scene. But Buffy stayed, and seemed content to. But her friends took her for granted -- all assumed she would always be there as a sort of home base, a familiarity they could always come back to when other parts of their lives got rough. And for the most part she was.

And now she smiled. Spike was never lucky enough to be on the receiving end of one of her smiles. Of course, Spike had never given her a reason to give him one -- just an arsenal of glares.

Unbeknownst to Spike, Lorne had watched his reaction the entire time and now saddled up next to him, leaning close to his ear, “I don’t know, Spikey, she looks pretty sweet to me.” Lorne gave Spike’s open jaw a touch of his knuckle, calling attention to Spike’s reaction.

“My best piece of work,” Lorne exclaimed as he left Spike’s side, wrapping Buffy in a hug.

It wasn’t until Spike fished in his pocket for his keys that he was acknowledged by the group. Xander addressed him, “You outta here already?”

“Yeah, I’m off to find a decent skate route. Glad to see your transformation turned out alright Summers,” he smirk at her and Buffy dared to take it as a compliment. “I think I’ll try to find that new one by the campus.”

At the mention of her favorite workout spot, Buffy announced, “If you want, I’ll come and show you. I skate that path all the time.”

Spike’s eyebrow raised, “You want to come skating with me?” he asked incredulously.

Buffy gave him an innocent look, “Well, ya know, any excuse to push you out into oncoming traffic.”

He smiled and nodded understandingly, “Okay, Summers, I’ll pick you up at your house at two.”

“You remember how to get there?”

“Don’t worry, Summers, I’ll follow the lines of drooling men that are bound to come out of the woodwork now.” He motioned at her new dress -- a little snugger and shorter than she’d ever worn before. He smiled and existed the salon. Buffy was sure to take that last remark as a compliment. Spike gave her a compliment. The surprises he was pulling almost floored her.

TBC