Author's Chapter Notes:
Here's chapter three for you. Let me know if you like it!

I don't own any of the characters.

Thanks to Nichole for all her help.
3 Catching up

Spike nervously paced around the porch a couple of times before finally ringing the doorbell. Almost immediately, the door was opened, and Buffy was standing in front of him. She didn’t look much different from the last time he’d seen her, like she wasn’t a day over twenty-one, even if he knew she must be thirty-five, thirty-six by now. He guessed it had something to do with being the Slayer.

“You’re back.” It was a statement, not a question. She stepped aside to let him in, and he walked into the hallway, looking around. Not much had changed since the last time he had been there. The night... Spike shrugged the thought off and turned to Buffy.

“Had a little talk with the Whelp, he said you wanted to talk to me.” He said in an indifferent voice, trying to keep his hopes as low as possible. Buffy’s face fell a little at his words, and he cursed himself.

“Yeah, we have some catching up to do.” She agreed, smiling slightly and indicating for him to follow her into the living room. He did and they both sat down, him in the armchair and her on the couch.

Spike looked around the room. It was pretty much the same, just more pictures. He could see some of Buffy and Dawn, others of the rest of the Scoobie gang. Then there were some of children at different ages.

“So, your kid’s not here?” Spike asked.

“No, he’s over at Xander and Anya’s.” Buffy said, shaking her head.

“Those two got back together? Wasn’t expecting that, actually.”

“Yeah, they got married in 2004, have two kids, Alex and Savannah, and a third on the way.” Buffy told Spike. “Xander’s got some high position in a construction company in town.”

“Seems they did well.” Spike stated. “How ‘bout Red and Glinda?”

“Well, Willow went to med school after college, and they moved to LA a couple of years ago. Willow’s a doctor at Memorial, and Tara runs the LA branch of the Magic Box. They’re doing great.”

“And Niblet?” Spike gave Buffy a concerned look. “She doing OK?”

“She’s working at Mom’s old gallery, she loves it.” Buffy smiled at the thought of her little sister. “She and her husband, Jeff he’s a doctor, live downtown with their kids, Jordan and Hayley.”

“She’s got kids?” Buffy almost laughed at Spike expression. “But she’s just a girl!”

“You’ve been gone a long time, Spike.” Buffy said, her voice a little sad. “Dawn is far from the kid you knew fifteen years ago. She turned thirty this year, you know.”

“Oh... I guess I’ve missed some stuff, huh?” Spike smiled sheepishly.

“You have no idea.” Buffy said under her breath.

“And what about you, pet? How’s life treating you?” Spike cocked his head to one side and gave Buffy a somewhat loving look.

“I’m good. Got a better job, at a doctor’s office. Long days, but it beats working at the Doublemeat for sure.” They both laughed at that.

“And... you’re married?” If Spike had needed to breath, he would have held his breath, waiting for her answer.

“No, I’m not. Not married, not seeing anyone. Haven’t in sixteen years.” Buffy said, voice filled with pent-up emotions.

“What about the kid?” Spike asked, and Buffy got up from the couch, crossing the room. She took a photo from the bookcase and came back giving the photo to Spike.

He looked at the photo, it was of a boy, probably about fifteen or so. He had brown hair and his features were very similar to Buffy’s. But not the eyes. The eyes were a shade of blue Spike hadn’t seen in over a century, not since the last time he saw his own reflection. He looked up at Buffy, and saw tears in her eyes.

“How?” Was the only thing he could say, emotions overwhelming him.

“Kiss of Blood ring any bells?” Buffy asked.

“Yeah, why?” Spike asked, confused. The Kiss of Blood was a thing vampires did during sex, to show their love for each other. He had done it with Buffy one time, but didn’t think she knew of the ritual.

“Well, that’s what happens with humans.” Buffy said, indicating the photo Spike was still holding.

“What?”

“I know. I didn’t really get it at first either.” Buffy frowned. “Actually, I still don’t get it, but never mind.”

“So, you mean when we did the whole blood mixing thing, you got pregnant?” Spike asked, still not completely understanding the situation.

“Pretty much.” Buffy confirmed. “We don’t know exactly how it works, though.”

“I’m sorry.” Spike gave her a regretful look. “If I’d known, I wouldn’t...”

“Don’t you dare say that!” Buffy cut him off. “Don’t ever say you’re sorry for what happened!” Spike raised a surrendering hand.

“Not what I meant. If I’d know, I wouldn’t have left, no matter what happened.” His words calmed Buffy.

“Oh.” She said, eyes fixed on the floor. “It’s not your fault, at least not completely.” She raised her eyes to look at him.

“How’s that?” Spike asked, eye brow raised.

“Well, I didn’t find out that I was pregnant until you’d been gone about a month, but I knew.” Buffy explained. “Deep down, on some level, I knew. I was just scared to face it, I guess.”

“I don’t blame you.” Spike said. “I’d have been terrified, let me tell you.” Buffy smiled a little at that.

“I’m sure you would’ve handled it.” She said in a soft voice. “I’m just sorry you missed so much, you know.”

“Me too, love.” Spike agreed. “Me too.”

They sat in silence for a little while before Buffy spoke again.

“So, where were you? What have you been doing?”

“Went to Africa first, I’d heard about this demon that had some great power. Thought he could help me get the chip out.” Buffy eyes widened at his words and he quickly continued. “Didn’t though. Went through a bunch of trials to ‘give you what you deserved’ and when it was all said and done, the wanker gave me back my soul.”

“I thought there was something different about you!” Buffy said. “So you still have the chip?”

“Yeah, got it, don’t think it’s working anymore, though.” Spike said. “Ran into a human mugger in LA before I got here, and managed to hand him over to the police without getting electrocuted, so I’m guessing it’s out off business.”

“Oh. I guess it doesn’t really matter, what with the soul and all.” Buffy said, and Spike nodded.

“Apart from that, haven’t even tried to hurt a human being since...” Spike cut himself off as he realized when exactly the last time he had tried to hurt a human had been. Buffy saw the look in his eyes and realized what he was thinking.

“It’s OK, Spike. That was a long time ago, and I forgave you for it almost as soon as it happened.” She said in a comforting voice.

“Why?” Spike asked, looking into her eyes.

“Because it was my fault too.” Buffy explained. “I mean, don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying you had a right to do what you did, but I pushed you, for so long, that, looking back, I’m surprised nothing happened earlier.” Buffy decided to change the subject. “So, what happened after Africa?”

“Traveled around a bit.” Spike said. “Didn’t stay in one place very long, felt like something was haunting me. Maybe it was the new soul.”

“Maybe it was the feeling that you should go home?” Buffy suggested.

“Is this home?” Spike asked.

“Of course it is.” Buffy replied. “It always will be.”

“I wasn’t sure you’d be happy to see me, after...” Spike was interrupted by the phone.

“Hello?” Buffy said into the receiver. “Oh, hey Xan... OK... yeah, he’s here...” She looked up at Spike and mouthed the word ‘Xander’ to him. “That’s OK... no, it’s fine, we’ll finish up here... OK, see you in half an hour. Bye.”

She hung up the phone and turned back to Spike.

“That was Xander. He’s bringing Will home in about half an hour.”

“That’s his name?” Spike asked, looking down a the photo again.

“Short for William.”

“So, you want me to leave?”

“I think I’d better talk to him first, explain the situation.” Buffy said, hoping he wouldn’t take it the wrong way.

“OK. Makes sense.” Spike nodded. “How much does he know... about me?”

“Pretty much everything.” Buffy responded, and Spike gave her a horrified look. “Well, nothing detailed, do you think I’m stupid? He knows about the vampire thing, and the chip.”

“You told him I’m a vampire?” Spike asked, slightly shocked.

“Not at first.” Buffy said. “I mean, the first time he asked about his dad he was four, I think. You don’t tell a four-year-old that his dad’s a vampire. I told him that we loved each other, but that things got in the way and you had to leave, and that you didn’t know about him.”

“What?”

“I said that you didn’t know about him and...”

“Not that.” Spike interrupted her. “The love part.” Buffy smiled a little.

“Oh, that. I did, you know. Still do, I guess. I just didn’t realized it myself until that night... and then you were gone.”

“I wish you would have said something.” Spike mumbled.

“Me too.” Buffy responded. “I’ve regretted for the past sixteen years that I didn’t say anything.” She looked up at him, and they got lost in each other’s eyes for a moment, until Buffy broke the spell. “Anyway, I decided it was time to tell him about the things that go bump in the night a couple of years ago, so he could defend himself. Then I told him about you being a vampire, but not like other vampires. He seemed to accept it. He’s met Angel a couple of times, so he knows you can’t just divide the world into good and evil.”

“Angel’s been here?” Spike asked, the old jealousy of his grandsire surfacing. “Were you two...” Buffy cut him off.

“No, we weren’t. I’ve already told you there hasn’t been anybody since you left. Weren’t you listening?”

“Sorry. Guess he brings out the worst in me.” Spike said regretfully.

“Anyway, I told Will about how you got the chip and couldn’t hurt people, and how you helped us and stuff.”

“He knows about you being the Slayer?” Spike asked.

“I’m not.” Buffy replied. “Well, not active anymore, at least. I still go out and kill demons and vamps every now and then, just to relieve some tension, but I’ve been retired for about ten years now, ever since Leannah was called.”

“A new Slayer? But you’re not...” Spike started, then he realized. “Faith.”

“She was killed in a prison fight. Apparently the other inmates ganged up on her, and stabbed her to death. Leannah was called after that, and I decided to focus on Will, who was five then. I help train the new Slayers in the beginning, and with planning and stuff. I would probably fight if there were some big apocalypse or something, but things have been pretty quiet.”

“So, this Leannah, she still the Slayer?” Spike asked, and for a split second he saw pain in Buffy’s eyes.

“No, she lasted little over a year. Killed by a vampire gang. Then came Emma, who managed to stay alive for almost three years, but got killed by some demon. After her came Aliya, she was killed after only five months. Sarah was a great Slayer, lived past her 18th birthday, which isn’t very common. She was killed two years ago by a Master that decided to make Sunnydale his playground. Now we have Camille, she’s been here since then.”

“You cared for them?” It was more a statement than a question, and Buffy nodded.

“It’s hard not to care.” She said with a sad smile. “And it’s hard to care too, because you know that you’ll loose them. Eventually.”

“You can’t not love because you might loose someone.” Spike replied. “That wouldn’t be living.”

“I know.” Buffy said, nodding. “It took a long time, but I finally figured that out, that I couldn’t keep pushing people away.”

“I’m glad you did.” Spike said, standing up. “I guess I should go.” Buffy stood up too, nodding.

“Yeah. You could come by tomorrow night around eight, if you want, I should be able to get away from my job a little earlier than usual. I’ll talk to Will when he gets home tonight, and you two can get to know each other.” Buffy lead the way to the front door.

“I’d like that.” Spike said, smiling. “You think it’d be OK if I stopped by to see the Bit?”

“Sure.” Buffy grabbed a notepad from a table and wrote something on a paper before ripping it off and giving it to him. “That’s her address. You know where it is?” Spike nodded.

“Near the old high school, right?”

“Yeah. She’ll be so excited to see you.”

“I hope so, love.” Spike said, doubt evident in his voice. “I hope so.”

*****

“Hey, Jeff, it’s me.” Buffy said into the phone. “Is Dawn there?” She waited while Jeff went to get Dawn.

“Hey, sis, what’s up?” Came Dawn’s voice over the line, and suddenly Buffy didn’t know what to say. “Are you there?”

“Yeah, I’m here Dawnie. Listen, I need to tell you something.”

“Don’t like the sound of that.” Dawn voice was a little insecure.

“No, no, it’s a good thing.” Buffy hurried to continue. “At least I think so and I hope you will too.”

“OK, Buff, you’re not really making any sense.”

“I’m not sure how to say this so I’ll just say it. Spike’s back.” Dawn was quiet for a few seconds.

“Is he OK? Where’s he been all this time? Does he know about Will? What’s he going to...”

“Dawn, too many questions.” Buffy cut her off. “He’s fine, but I’ll let him fill you in on the rest. He’s on his way over, I hope that’s OK. He really wants to see you, and the kids.” Buffy laughed a little at the memory of Spike’s reaction to the news about Dawn’s children. “I thought he was going to have a heartattack when I told him you were married and had kids.”

“Well, what did he expect?” Dawn voice was suddenly bitter. “He’s been gone for sixteen years.”

“Dawn, please don’t be too hard on him.” Buffy pleaded. “He was going through a hard time back then.”

“I know.” Dawn sighed. “I just get so mad when I think of all the things he’s missed, you know.”

“I know, sweetie, me too.” Buffy agreed. “But he would have been here if he could, I know he would.”

“I know. I’ll try not to yell at him too much.” Dawn said, and Buffy giggled.

“OK, I gotta go. He should be there pretty soon.” Buffy said as the front door opened. “Will’s home, I’ve gotta talk to him.”

“Oh, God, how is he gonna take it?” Dawn asked.

“I’m not sure. I guess I’ll just tell him what’s going on and then we’ll take it from there.”

“Good luck.” Dawn said before hanging up.

“Might need it.” Buffy mumbled as she put the receiver down and went to talk to her son.