Author's Chapter Notes:
Here's chapter four. Hope you like it. Only one more chapter to go.
I don't own the characters.
Thanks to Nichole for her help.
4 Family


“Hi baby.” Buffy said as Will closed the front door.

“Hey mom.” Will hung his jacket on a hook.

Buffy stood on her tiptoes so she could reach to kiss her son on the cheek.

“You have got to stop growing!” Will smiled and headed for the stairs.

“I’m gonna get ready for bed, gotta get up early tomorrow.” Buffy put a hand on his arm, holding him back.

“Actually, I want to talk to you for a moment.” She said and he nodded. “Let’s go into the living room.” She suggested and he followed her. When they were both sitting on the couch, Buffy turned to face him. “OK, this is gonna be harder than I thought.”

“You can tell me, mom. Is something wrong?” Buffy saw the concerned look on her son’s face and hurried to reassure him.

“No, nothing’s wrong. Everything’s... actually right, for a change.”

“Not sure I follow you there, mom.” Will said, frowning. Buffy couldn’t help but smile at how much he looked like his father when he did that.

“What would you say if I told you that you’re dad is back in town?” She said, holding her breath as she waited for a reaction.

“He’s back?” Will asked, doubtfully and Buffy nodded. “He came back, just like that?”

“He’s back.” Buffy confirmed. Will was quiet for a while.

“When?”

“He came here last night.” Buffy said, and Will gave her a hurt look. “I didn’t tell you then because we didn’t get a chance to talk. He heard you call me when you got home, and left.”

“He doesn’t know about me.” Will stated.

“He didn’t know. That’s why he didn’t stay last night. I guess he thought he was intruding or something.” Buffy said. “But Xander tracked him down and talked to him, and he came back tonight. I explained everything, and he really wants to see you. Is that OK?”

“He wants to see me?” Doubt was evident in Will’s voice, and Buffy’s heart ached.

“Of course he does, baby. He would have been her all along if he knew about you, you know that.”

“I know, mom, I know.” Will said. “It’s just, sometimes I can’t help but wonder if it was my fault he left.”

“I know how you feel, baby.” Buffy said, putting an arm around Will’s shoulder. “I felt the same when my dad left me and mom and Dawnie. But you know what? That wasn’t my fault, and Spike leaving was definitely not your fault, OK?” Will nodded. “Good.”

“Is he going to move back here?” He asked.

“I don’t know.” Buffy replied. “We didn’t really talk about that, just about you and the guys. Why don’t you ask him yourself? I said he could come over tomorrow night, if you’re OK with that?”

“Yeah, I’d like that.” Will said and smiled at his mother.

*****

Buffy was running around the house, nervously making sure everything was perfect. It was seven fortyfive, and Spike could be there any minute. Not that he was known for his punctuality.

Buffy had talked to Dawn earlier that day, curious about how her sister’s reunion with Spike had gone. The younger woman had been talking non-stop for almost half an hour before Buffy managed to get a word in. She had been so excited that her friend was finally back.

Buffy took three glasses from one of the kitchen cabinets and placed them on the table. She had decided that it would be best to make Spike and Will’s first meeting as casual as possible, for both of them, and eating usually worked. Even if Spike, technically, didn’t have to eat.

The doorbell rang just as Buffy took the pot with the pasta off the stove.

“The one time he’s actually early...” She muttered to herself and quickly poured the contents into a bowl and placed it on the table where the pasta sauce already was before wiping her hands on a towel and heading for the door.

“Hi.” She smiled at him and stepped aside to let him in. “Come on in, I made dinner.” The smile on Spike’s face turned to a suspicious look.

“You sure that’s safe?” He asked in a slightly mocking voice and Buffy playfully slapped him on the arm.

“Mom’s cooking skills have actually improved a lot in the past couple of years.” They heard from the stairs and both of them turned at the sound.

“Hey baby, come on down.” Buffy said as the silence got a bit too much for her. “Dinner’s ready.” Buffy walked through the house and back into the kitchen, but the vampire and the boy didn’t move. Buffy decided to give them a moment.

*****

Spike tried a tentative smile and to his relief, Will returned it and walked down the rest of the stairs, stopping a few feet from Spike.

“You must be Will, then?” Spike asked, and inwardly kicked himself at his stupid question. Will didn’t seem to mind, though.

“That’s me.” He replied in an easy-going voice, obviously trying to make Spike more comfortable. “You wanna go try out mom’s food? I promise it won’t kill you... considering you’re already dead and all.” Will said before leading the way through the house.

“I see you get your sense of humor from the Whelp.” He said.

“If you mean Uncle Xander, I guess you’re right.” Will replied. “He’s been kinda like a dad to me, when you were... gone.”

“I’m sorry about that... not being here.” Spike said and Will stopped to face him. “If I’d known... I’d never’ve left. You know that, right?” Will nodded.

“I know. It’s cool. You’re here now.”

*****

Buffy was smiling to herself as she cleaned up in the kitchen. Spike had taken off a few minutes earlier, with the promise to come by the next night and Will had gone up to bed, which left Buffy with the cleanup. Not that she minded, it actually gave her some time to think. Which she needed at the moment.

The dinner had been good. The conversations had been tentative at first, but when Spike found out that Will was in the high school soccer team, they got into the topic and stayed there the rest of the night. Buffy was relieved to see that they got along so good.

“Maybe things will work out after all.” She said to herself, staring into the night.

*****

Buffy was sitting at the kitchen table, looking through a soccer equipment catalogue. Will’s birthday was coming up in a couple of weeks, and she wanted to get the present buying out of the way. As the doorbell rang, Buffy looked at the clock on the kitchen wall. Eight thirty on a Friday night. She wondered who it was as she walked through the house. Will was spending the night at a friends house, Xander and Anya had taken the kids to Disneyland for the weekend and Giles never came around that late. Buffy peaked through the window beside the door, and a smile spread on her lips as she opened the door.

“Hey there.” She said, stepping aside to let Spike in. It had been little over four months since he had come back to Sunnydale, and he had been over for ‘dinner’ almost every night.

“Hey.” He said, walking past her into the house. “Where’s Will?”

“He’s sleeping over at Bryan’s, didn’t he tell you last night?” Spike gave her a questioning look. “I guess he didn’t.”

“Nope.” Spike replied. “Guess I’ll just head out then, see you both tomorrow.” He walked through the still open front door and down the porch steps.

“Wait.” Buffy called, surprising him as well as herself. They hadn’t spent any time together, alone together, since he came back. “We could... I don’t know, order pizza or something.” She gave him a smile, and he wasn’t able to refuse her. Never had been.

“OK, but I get to pick the topping.” He said, walking back into the house.

“What? No fair, you don’t even need to eat!” Buffy responded as she closed the door behind them.

*****

“Are you sure Camille said there was a nest around here?” Spike asked for the umpteenth time.

“Yes, for the last time, I’m sure.” Buffy replied, kicking down the door to an abandoned apartment building.

After the pizza had been ordered and eaten, they had gotten bored and decided to go out to patrol. Camille had told Buffy the previous day that there was a vamp nest down at the docks, and that’s where they were now. And had been, for the past hour and half. Without finding anything.

“Well, they must have moved on then, cause there’s nothing here.” Spike concluded, but froze when he saw Buffy put her finger over her mouth in a hushing motion. He closed his eyes and inhaled the night air, letting the smells and sounds wash over him. Vampires, ten or twelve of them, nearby. He opened his eyes and nodded to Buffy, who crept along the wall of the building until she got to another door. Spike took position on the other side of the door and counted with his fingers. One, two three. Buffy kicked the door down and they both stormed in. And were immediately caught up in a fight.

They hadn’t been patrolling together in over sixteen years, but fell into their old rhythm fast. They fought back to back, and had taken out seven of the vamps within a couple of minutes.

“You OK?” Spike asked, daring a glance over his shoulder.

“I’m good.” Buffy replied, using her hand axe to dust a female vampire. “You?”

“Right as rain.” Spike threw a stake across the room, dusting a vampire that was trying to run. “I think that was the last one.” He said, turning. If his heart wasn’t already still, it would have stopped.

Buffy was pushed up against the wall by two vampires while a third was biting her. Spike had no time to think, he could only react. It didn’t take him a second to get across the room, and he dusted the three vamps before they knew what was going on and caught Buffy before she hit the floor.

“Buffy, love, wake up!” He pleaded, but she didn’t respond. “Please, I need you to wake up, I can’t lose you, not again.”

“Spike?” Her voice wasn’t much more than a whisper, but he heard her.

“It’s OK, love everything’ll be fine.” He assured her and she slowly opened her eyes.

That was when he realized they were only inches apart. He could feel her breath against his face, and her smell was intoxicating. They stared at each other for what felt like an eternity before Buffy brought her arms up around his neck to pull him down to her. He felt her warm lips against his cold ones, and responded by pulling her impossibly closer.

Buffy moaned and Spike took the opportunity to slip his tongue into her mouth. Her own tongue greeted him, and they both gasped. It felt like time was moving at a ground breaking speed and standing still at the same time. The world could have exploded around them and they wouldn’t have noticed.

They both felt the need for closer contact and Spike moved Buffy back against the wall, lifting her up so she could wrap her legs around his waist. Buffy broke away, panting for air, and Spike made his way down her throat, kissing and nibbling while he reached between them to unbutton her jeans. Buffy’s hand stopped him.

“No.”

Spike immediately pulled his hand away and attempted to put some distance between him and Buffy. But she instead pulled him closer for another kiss, this one soft and gentle. When they pulled apart, he gave her a confused look, and she smiled.

“Not here.”

*****

“Mom, I’m home.” Will called as he closed the front door behind him. A sound was heard from upstairs, and Will smiled to himself. Had his plan worked? His question was answered as he heard muffled voices.

“Stay here, I’ll be right back.” He spotted his mother at the top of the stairs, trying to look casual. “Hey, baby, I didn’t expect you to be back so early.” She said, walking down the stairs.

“I’m baby sitting today, remember? I have to be over at Xander and Anya’s in half an hour.” Will said, giving his mother a kiss on the cheek before walking past her up the stairs. “Just wanted to take a shower and change, and then I’ll be out of your hair.”

Buffy followed her son up the stairs and after making sure he had closed the door to his room behind him, she slipped back into her bedroom.

“I don’t think he suspected anything.” She said in a relieved voice.

“And if he did that would be bad, how?” Spike asked, pulling Buffy down on the bed next to him.

“Well, he would think... and then... I mean, we don’t...”

“Buffy, love, you’re rambling.” Spike cut her off.

“I know, I’m sorry.” Buffy gave Spike an apologetic look. “It’s just, I don’t want him to get his hopes up.”

“Why not?” Spike pushed.

“Well, we haven’t really talked about any of this, just... jumped into bed.” Buffy said, getting off the bed.

“OK, let’s talk about it.” Spike said, sitting up in the bed. “I love you. Have for a long time, even longer than I’d like to admit. I know there’s something there for you too, don’t even try to deny it.”

“I know, and there is.” Buffy replied, sitting back down. “I’m just...”

“Scared?” Spike finished for her, and she nodded. “Of what, love?”

“Nothing, everything.” She responded. “I’m scared that we can’t do this, that all we can do is hurt each other. I’m scared that I am incapable of having a relationship. I’m scared that...”

“That I’ll leave?” Spike asked, looking for a reaction. After a few seconds, Buffy nodded. “I won’t.” He said, pulling Buffy into his lap. “I love you and I love Will and I would never leave either of you. Not even if you tell me to.” That got a smile from her. “So. Are we going to do this?” He asked.

“I guess we are.” Buffy replied. “Now we just have to figure out how to tell...” She was interrupted by a knock on the door.

“I’m leaving now.” They heard Will say through the door.

“OK, baby, I’ll see you later.” Buffy replied. The door opened and the two people in the bed froze.

“Oh, and try not to leave clothes out in the hallway next time.”