Author's Chapter Notes:
I hope you like the story so far, here's chapter two. Let me know if I should keep going.
I don't own any of them, unfortunately.
Thanks to my Beta, Nichole
2 Explanations


“So, you wanna tell me how this all happened?” Spike asked. He was lying in Buffy’s bed and Buffy had draped herself half on top of him in an attempt to get comfortable. Spike was rubbing small circles on her lower back, where she had been complaining about pain.

They had been lying like this for a couple of hours now since Spike came to talk to Buffy. So far, he had done most of the talking, telling her about what he had been doing since he left four months earlier, about his trip to Africa and the newly acquired soul. She had yet to explain the pregnancy.

“Have you heard about the Kiss of Blood?” Buffy asked, twisting her head so she was able to look at Spike.

“Sure, a vampire thing. Why?” Spike frowned. How did she know about that?

“Well, it seems it has a slightly different effect on humans.” Buffy said, indicating her stomach.

“You’re serious?” Spike asked and Buffy nodded. “I had no idea.”

“I know. Tara only found out because she had been reading some old Watcher’s journal.” Buffy said.

“This had happened before?” Spike asked.

“Apparently. A girl in Spain in fourteen-something said she had gotten pregnant by a vampire after they had shared the kiss.” Buffy revealed. “Giles researched it further, and it seems that wasn’t the only time, even if it hasn’t happened a lot.”

“So, we’re really going to have a baby?” Buffy heard the amazement in Spike’s voice and giggled.

“I know, it takes some getting used to, doesn’t it?” She said.

“When I came back, I was prepared to get staked.” Spike confessed. “After what I did...” Buffy hushed him.

“Don’t. It’s in the past. We both did things... we regret.” Buffy said. “For example, I regret never telling you that I love you.”

“What did you say?” Spike asked, eyes wide.

“I said that I love you.” She repeated. “I think I have for a while, but I didn’t realize it until that night... and when I went to talk to you, you were gone.”

“I’m sorry. For everything. For what happened and for leaving...” Buffy cut him off with a kiss.

“It’s OK.” She said as she pulled back. “You’re here now, that’s all that matters.” Buffy returned to the position she had been lying in earlier, leaning her cheek against Spike’s chest. She sighed in contentment. They lay in silence for a while before Spike spoke again.

“Do you know if it’s a boy or a girl?” He asked and Buffy shook her head.

“No, I don’t want to know yet.” Buffy laughed. “The guys have been on me for the past two months to find out, but I want it to be a surprise. Oh, I have a couple of pictures.” Buffy got up off the bed and went over to her desk where she opened the top drawer. She pulled out a couple of pictures and came back to the bed.

“This one is the last one, from a week ago.” She handed Spike a black and white photo. “And this one’s from last month.” She handed him another photo.

Spike looked at the pictures, the photos of his child. His child. He wasn’t supposed to have that. He was a vampire, he didn’t deserve it.

“Hey, you still there?” He heard Buffy ask and snapped back to reality.

“Sorry, just got a little emotional for a while.” Spike replied.

“William the Bloody, emotional.” Buffy laughed. “If someone had told me this six years ago, I would have laughed in their face.” Spike laughed too.

“Right there with you.” He got serious again and looked at the pictures. “Is everything OK? With the baby, I mean. It’s healthy and stuff?”

“Everything’s fine. The doctor says that everything’s normal.” Buffy replied.

“And it’s...”

“Human?” Buffy interjected and Spike nodded. “Yeah. Heartbeat and everything. It’s so amazing, hearing the sound. You have to come with me to my next appointment tomorrow.”

“I’d like that. As long as it’s at night.” Spike joked.

“I think that can be arranged.”

*****

Buffy took a deep breath before knocking on Xander’s door. She remembered the last time she had been in this position, four months earlier when Xander had found out about her relationship with Spike. Their friendship had survived that, but could it survive this?

“Hey, Buff, what you doing here?” Buffy was pulled out of her thoughts by Xander’s voice.

“What, I can’t come see one of my best friends without a reason?” Buffy walked past Xander and into the apartment.

“Now, it’s not that, I just figured you’d be home cuddling up to Captain Peroxide.” Xander said.

“You know he’s back?” Buffy asked.

“Willow told me.” Xander explained. “She just wanted to warn me so I wouldn’t go and mess it up again, like last time.” He gave Buffy an honest smile. “I’m OK with it, really. I mean, I’ll never be a member of the Spike fan club, but I realize that you love him, and that he loves you. That’s all I need to know. Plus he’s got that shiny new soul.” At Buffy’s questioning expression, he continued. “Dawn told Willow, who told me.”

“Thank you.” Buffy gave Xander a hug, and he returned it. “Thank you so much for being supportive. I don’t know what I would have done if you hadn’t been.”

“You’ll never have to find out.” Xander said as they pulled apart. “Besides, no more late night shopping sprees for the Xan-Man!”

*****

“Buffy Summers.” The nurse called and Buffy stood up, taking Spike’s hand in a firm grip.

“Come on.” She said, heading towards the examination room.

“Buffy, hi. How is everything?” Doctor Harrison greeted. Spotting Spike, she continued. “And who is this?”

“Doctor Harrison, this is Spike, my boyfriend.” Spike’s confidence swelled a little when hearing her referring to him as her boyfriend.

“How nice to finally meet you.” Doctor Harrison offered Spike her hand, and he shook it, not missing her emphasis on the word ‘finally’.

“It’s nice to meet you too, Buffy has talked a lot about you. Unfortunately, I have been out of the country for the past four months.” At least it wasn’t a complete lie.

“Of course.” The doctor smiled. “Buffy, why don’t you lie down and I’ll get everything ready.”

Buffy took her place and the doctor brought the ultra sound machine over.

“This’ll be a little cold, like always.” Doctor Harrison said before spreading the gel on Buffy’s stomach. “This way we can see the baby and listen to the heart beats to make sure everything is going as planned.” She explained to Spike, who nodded. Doctor Harrison turned the monitor on and the heart beat was heard.

“Is that?” Spike asked, and Buffy nodded.

“That’s the heart beat.” Doctor Harrison said. “It sounds healthy, and everything else seems fine too. Here’s the head.” She indicated on the monitor. “And the body, arms and feet.” She shot a look at Buffy. “I take it you still don’t want to know the sex?”

“No.” Buffy shook her head.

“We want it to be a surprise.” Spike said and squeezed Buffy’s hand.

“So, how are your friends’ class going?” The doctor asked.

“It’s going great.” Buffy replied. “Willow says that they’ll be certified midwifes in a couple of weeks.”

“What’re they doing that for?” Spike asked.

“Buffy hasn’t told you?” Doctor Harrison asked, and Spike shook his head. “Buffy has decided to have a home birth, and Willow and Tara will be midwifes, helping her.”

“Oh.” Spike said. “Is that safe?”

“It’s perfectly safe.” Doctor Harrison smiled. “Women do it all the time, and I will be only a phone call away if anything goes wrong. And you’ve finished your lamaze class, right?”

“Yeah, the last class was a couple of days ago.” Buffy replied.

“What’s lamaze?” Spike asked a little confused.

“It’s a breathing technique that helps with the labour.” The doctor replied. “I always recommend that the parents attend it, and it’s even more important in cases of home births.”

“OK.”

“I have a couple of pamphlets you can look at.” Doctor Harrison said. “It’ll teach you the basics, so you can help Buffy with her breathing.”

“Thanks, I’d appreciate that.” Spike said sincerely.

“No problem.” The doctor smiled. “It’s good to know she has someone who’s there for her.”

*****

“Buffy, you home?” Spike called as he closed the front door behind him.

“In here.” He heard from the kitchen and followed the sound, finding Buffy and Dawn at the kitchen table with a book.

“What’re you two up to?” He asked suspiciously.

“Just looking at names.” Dawn replied, not taking her eyes from the book. “I like Abigail if it’s a girl and Aidan if it’s a boy.”

“Oh, you do, huh?” Spike asked, sitting down next to Buffy so he could see the book too. “How ‘bout you, pet?” He asked.

“I don’t know. I kinda like Emma for a girl. And if it’s a boy, William.” She smiled at the expression on Spike’s face.

“Really?” He asked, and she nodded.

“Really. I’ve thought about it before, and it’s what I want. If it’s a boy, that is. If that’s OK with you, of course.” She said.

“Of course it’s OK. I would love it.” Spike replied and placed a kiss on top of Buffy’s head.

“Aw, you guys are just so cute.” Dawn said, earning a look of death from Spike.

“You two distracted me, I almost forgot the news.” Spike said. “I got a job.”

“Really?” Buffy asked in astonishment and Spike nodded. “Where?”

“Willie’s.” At Buffy’s facial expression, he continued. “I know, not the best place. But Willie knows about my... condition, and he’ll let me work nights, seeing as I can’t go out during the day. There’s also the whole thing about a social security number, which I don’t have. At least it’s money.”

“I think it’s great.” Buffy said. “I was just a little surprised, that’s all.”

“I’m starting after the baby’s born, I don’t want to leave you before.” He said, and Dawn smiled at the concern for her sister that was so obvious in Spike’s voice.