Author's Chapter Notes:
Here's chapter three for you, hope you like the story so far. Let me know if you want more.

I don't own any of the characters.

Thanks to Nichole for all her help.
Questions


“Hey, Red, got a minute?” Spike asked.

Willow turned towards the sound and spotted the vampire under a tree a few feet away. She had just gotten out of her night class, and was surprised to find Spike waiting for her outside the building.

“Hey, Spike, what’re you doing here?” Willow expression turned serious. “Is something wrong? Is it Buffy?” Spike hurried to shake his head to calm the red head.

“No, everything’s fine.” He motioned towards the side walk and they started walking. “I’ve just been thinking ‘bout something lately, something you might be able to help me with and thought I’d run it by you.”

“OK.” Willow replied. “Shoot!”

“Well, as you know, me being a vampire an’ all, I don’t really have an identity or anything.” Spike tried to get to the point but found it a little hard, not knowing what the witch’s reaction would be. “And there are some things you need an identity to do, vote for example, or to get a drivers license...”

“Get married.” Willow cut in, smiling.

“How’d you guess?” Spike asked, blushing a little.

“Oh, you’ve got the regular guy trademarks when it comes to attachment.” Willow responded. “Beating around the bush about it, blushing, and don’t think I missed that. Besides, you’re from the Victorian era, it would only be ‘appropriate’...” She airquoted. “...for you two to get married in a situation like this.”

“Right.” Spike agreed. “That’s not the only reason, though.” He continued.

“You love her?”

“With all my heart. Even if it isn’t beating.” Spike chuckled a little. “See, the reason I came to you, I realize we can’t do this the regular way, because, one, it wouldn’t be very legal, and two, me and churches? Not such a good combination. But there are other ways, right?”

Willow nodded.

“Sure. You could do a handfasting ceremony, it’s like a wedding but with a Wiccan High Priestess instead of a regular priest. A friend of mine and Tara’s, Serena, is a Priestess in a coven in LA, I’m sure she would love to perform the ceremony.” Willow suggested. “It wouldn’t be legal union in the strictest sense, but...”

“An emotional?” Spike interrupted and Willow nodded. “I just feel I need to do something to show Buffy how much she and the baby means to me, y’know?” He put his hands deep in his pockets and looked at the side walk.

“I get it.” Willow said, smiling a little. “I know you’re not the Big Bad you try to make people believe you are.”

“You better not tell anyone else that.” Spike said in a not-so-menacing voice and Willow chuckled.

“You’re secret’s safe with me.”

*****

Spike paced the waiting area at Sunnydale Airport nervously. The Watcher’s plane would be landing in less than ten minutes, and he had yet to figure out how to ask him.

“Rupes, mate, how’d you feel about giving your practically-daughter away to your worst enemy?” Spike huffed at that idea, and looked up as a voice announced that the plane from LA had landed. “OK, here goes.” He said to himself and walked over to where the passengers would soon be departing.

Spike had volunteered to pick Giles up from the airport so that he could talk to him in private before they got to the house. After the conversation he had had with Willow the previous day the idea of some sort of a ceremony had grown on him, but he wanted to make sure there were no obstacles before actually asking Buffy to marry him. He knew, deep down, that Buffy would want it but would never admit it, and he wanted to give her what she wanted. He also knew that she would want Giles, who had taken the place of her father over the years, to give her away. So here he was.

The first passengers came through the doors, and Spike took an unneeded breath as he spotted Giles. The former Watcher looked around, obviously expecting someone else, and his eyes stopped on Spike. Spike could see a frown form on the other man’s face, and growled inwardly.

“Spike.” Giles said cautiously as he made his way over. “I didn’t quite expect to find you here.”

“I bet you weren’t” Spike replied. “To be honest, a few months ago I wouldn’t have expected myself to be here, either. But a lot’s happened.”

“I am well aware of that.” Giles responded. “Now, what do you want?”

“Easy there, Watcher.” Spike raised his hands in a surrendering motion. “Who says I want something?”

“I know you, Spike.” Giles took his glasses of and started to clean them. “No matter how much I wish I didn’t.” He added under his breath. Spike decided to let it slip.

“OK, so maybe I do want something.” He admitted.

“That’s what I thought.” Giles said as he put his glasses back on.

“Before you get all weird, just hear me out, OK?” Spike pleaded. Giles gave him an evaluating look before nodding. “This is not for me, at least not completely. It’s for Buffy. And for the baby.”

“I’m listening.”

“I can’t give Buffy a normal life, we both know that. But I would like to give her something that at least resembles normal.” Spike took a deep breath before continuing. “The baby will be here in little over a month, and I know Buffy would want to make everything... legal, before he or she gets here, if you follow me.”

“You want to... marry her, is that what you’re saying?” Giles asked in disbelief.

“Yes. Well, not exactly. I know that would be impossible, vampire here. But I talked to Red and she said that there’s a Wiccan ceremony that is close to the real thing. It wouldn’t be legal, but it would be something.”

Giles saw the honesty and emotion in the vampire’s eyes, and he soften a little.

“And you are telling me this because?” He asked.

“Well, I know that Buffy sees you as her dad, and I just wanted to ask if you would be willing to give her away?” Spike asked, hopefully.

“Well, I... don’t know what to say... this is all...”

“Rambling, Rupes.” Spike cut him off.

“Yes, sorry.” Giles pulled himself together. “I should probably talk to Buffy about this first, but if she has nothing to object, I would love to have the honors.”

“That’s another thing.” Spike said. “Buffy doesn’t know about this yet. I want to get everything ready so she doesn’t have to worry about anything.”

*****

Spike raised his hand to the door for the fifth time, and for the fifth time he lowered it again. He had been standing outside the Whelp’s apartment for ten minutes now, not able to get up the courage to actually knock.

‘What are you so worried about, mate?’ he thought to himself. ‘Worst that’ll happen is he’ll say no.’

Somewhat encouraged by that thought, Spike finally knocked on the door. He waited for a moment before knocking again. Maybe the Whelp was asleep? It was eleven thirty, after all. Spike hadn’t been able to get out until after Buffy went to sleep.

“Alright, I’m coming I’m coming.” Spike heard through the door before it was swung open to reveal an obviously newly waked Xander. “Holy Mother of God, Spike, it’s almost midnight, I need to be at the site in seven hours, what are you doing here?”

Spike hadn’t seen Xander a lot since he came back, but according to Buffy the other man had said he was fine with their relationship. Spike wasn’t so sure, however.

“Got a favor to ask if you don’t mind.” Spike started. Xander yawned before he turned and walked further into the apartment.

“If I’m gonna listen to you yapping I’m gonna need coffee.” He called over his shoulder. “Come on, I’ll make some for you too. Unless you prefer blood, in which case I’ve got nothing.”

Spike took a tentative step over the threshold, confused by Xander’s behavior. Xander had taken a seat by the kitchen table and motioned for Spike to join him.

“So, what’s so important it can’t wait til a more day part of the day?” Xander asked, handing Spike a cup of coffee. “Or, I guess this is day for you.”

“Had to wait til Buffy went to sleep, don’t want her knowing.” Spike replied.

“Is Spikey feeling a little whipped?” Xander chuckled. “I don’t blame you, mate, she had me going to the store for the weirdest stuff at all times of the night before you got back.”

“That’s not the problem.” Spike said and Xander raised an inquisitive eyebrow. “I was wondering... the thing is, I’m thinking about... I just wanted to know if you would consider...”

“Spit it out already.” Xander exclaimed. “I need my beauty sleep, y’know.”

“I’m gonna ask Buffy to marry me and I wanted to know if you would be the best man.” Spike said as fast as he could. Xander just stared at him for a moment.

“Seriously?” He asked and Spike nodded.

“It won’t be a wedding in the traditional sense; Red knows this Wiccan Priestess woman who can perform handfasting ceremonies, so it won’t really be legal or anything, just...”

“I would love to.” Xander cut him off.

“Really?” Spike asked in disbelief. He hadn’t thought it would be this easy.

“Sure. I mean, we’re not the best of friends, but I’ve come to terms with the fact that if I want to be in Buffy’s and my future godson or daughter’s life, I will have to learn to live with you.” Xander explained. “Besides, you’re not that horrible, when you get to know you.”

“Well, thanks ever so.” Spike said in a sarcastic voice and Xander gave him a warning look.

“Hey, don’t push it!”

*****

“Hey, Bit.” Spike entered the living room where Dawn was sitting on the couch. They were alone in the house since Willow and Tara had convinced Buffy to go to the movies with them. Of course, Spike had put them up to it.

“Hey Spike.” Dawn replied, not taking her eyes off whatever was going on on the screen.

“Need your help with something.” Spike continued.

“What’s up?” Dawn asked, tearing her eyes away from the TV to look at him.

“Well, we sort of need to leave the house for it to work, Bit.” Spike took Dawn’s jacket off the hook next to the door and threw it to her. She grabbed it and turned the TV off before getting off the couch.

“OK. You gonna be all cryptic about it?” She asked a little suspicious.

“We’re going on a little shopping trip.” Spike revealed as he walked ahead of Dawn to his DeSoto which was parked on the driveway.

*****

“OK, now you wanna tell me what is going on?” Dawn asked as Spike lead her into a jeweler’s store at the Sunnydale mall. Spike had remained practically silent since they left the house and Dawn was getting curious.

“Need you to help me pick out something for your sister.” Spike replied, and looked around the store.

“Oh, OK. What you wanna get her?” Dawn asked, walking up to a display case with ear rings in silver. “A pair of ear rings? A bracelet?”

“Nope.” Spike said as he spotted the owner of the store and walked up to him. “I’d like to see your engagement rings.” He heard Dawn squeel behind him.

“Oh my God!” She declared. “You’re gonna ask her to marry you?” Spike nodded and was attacked by a giggling teenager. “This is so great! Now we’ll be family for real!” Spike carefully extracted himself from Dawn, and held her at arms length.

“I am only telling you this because I trust you to keep a secret, got that?” He asked, and Dawn nodded. “Good. I am going to ask Buffy to marry me, and I don’t want you telling her about it.”

“But you’re gonna do it soon, right?” Dawn asked eagerly.

“Yeah, tomorrow. I know she would want to do it before the baby’s born, so we should probably do it as soon as possible.” Spike replied.

“It’s still five weeks left, you’ve got time.” Dawn pointed out.

“I know, but still. Better safe than sorry, y’know. Besides, Red talked to her friend, who will preform the ceremony, and we planned it for next weekend. If she says yes, that is.” Spike said, uncertainty in his voice. Dawn put an arm around his shoulder in an encouraging motion. “Now help me pick out a ring that’ll blow her away.”

*****

Buffy quietly closed the front door behind her. She had worked an extra shift at the Palace – again – and everyone were probably asleep. She took her jacket off and paused for a moment to rub her aching back. ‘Only a couple of weeks left’ she thought to herself as she headed for the stairs. She got upstairs and headed for her and Spike’s bedroom, but paused, hand on the door knob. There was a note on the door that said ‘In the garden’.

“In the garden...” Buffy muttered as she went back downstairs. “Now what is he up to?”

She walked through the living room, into the kitchen and out through the back door. And stopped dead in her tracks.

The entire garden was decorated with candles and roses. In the middle of the small lawn was a table, set for dinner with more roses in a vase and a couple of candles as well. Spike was sitting in one of the two chairs, standing when he saw her.

“What... what is all this?” Buffy asked in amazement and looked around.

“Just wanted to make tonight special, love.” Spike replied as he came up to her. He took one of her hands in his and lead her to the table, even pulling out her chair for her.

“I’m impressed.” Buffy said as she sat down. “I never knew you were such a gentleman.”

“Tell anyone, and I’ll have to kill you.” Spike joked and Buffy giggled. Spike walked around the table and sat back down before he lifted the cover from the plates to reveal their dinner; steak and french fries, Buffy favorite for the past month.

“Ooh, my favorite.” Buffy said before giving Spike a suspicious look. “What did you do?”

“Does a man have to have a reason to pamper his girl?” Spike asked, sounding as innocent as he possibly could. Buffy observed him through narrowed eyes before deciding she bought his explanation.

“OK, I’ll let it go.” She said. “For now.” Spike chuckled.

They ate their dinner in a comfortable silence, every now and then making little comments about different things. As they both finished their food, Spike took their plates and went in to get the dessert. He got back to the table and put a covered plate in front of Buffy before sitting back down with his own plate. Buffy gave him a curious look, and he raised his eye brows in an encouraging look motioning at the plate cover. Buffy slowly removed it, as if she was afraid of what she might find. When she saw what he had been hiding, she let out a shriek.

“Was that good or bad?” Spike asked nervously. Buffy responded by jumping, or as much jumping as an eight-months-pregnant woman can do, off her chair and throwing herself into his arms.

“I love it!” She declared. “Is it what I think it is?” Spike nodded.

“If you want it to be.” He said.

“Of course I want it to be! Now, put it on!” Buffy demanded, holding out her left hand. Spike took the ring that had been on the chocolate mousse and kneeled on the grass, taking Buffy’s hand.

“Buffy Anne Summers. I love you with all my heart and soul, and I would be honored if you would agree to be my wife.” She nodded, tears filling her eyes, and he slipped the ring on her finger before standing again and giving her a kiss. “I love you.”

“Love you too.” She responded and nuzzled her face up against his neck, sighing in contentment. “But how are we gonna do the whole marriage thing? You don’t have an identity, right? And last time I checked, that was sorta necessary.”

“I’ve got it all planned, love, just trust me.”