Chapter 10

“Wow, I can’t believe Xander is getting married,” Willow commented to Buffy.

“Yeah, I can’t believe Anya wants me to be the maid of honor. She hasn’t even known me that long.”

Willow shrugged. “She doesn’t really have a lot of friends. You’re probably the closest one to her.”

Buffy thought about it and nodded. “I guess it makes sense. So, what did you wanna tell me?”

Willow suddenly felt nervous. “What do you mean?”

Buffy rolled her eyes. “I know you, Will. You have a worried look on your face, which means you have something to tell me and you’re not sure how. You should know by now that you can tell me anything.”

Willow let out the breath she was holding and knew that it was time. “Okay, there is something. You have to promise me that you won’t wig out.”

Buffy was really curious now. “I promise, what’s on your mind?”

“Well, you remember Tara? You’ve met her a few times already.”

Buffy nodded again. “Yeah, what about her?”

Willow took a deep breath and decided to just tell her the truth. “We’ve been kinda close lately. She started out as a really good friend, but now it’s more than that.”

Buffy wasn’t sure what Willow was talking about, until realization hit her. “Oh, are you guys together?”

Willow nodded. “We’ve been seeing each other for a few weeks now. I was really scared to tell you about it, but I really like her. I think it could be more than that. I hope you won’t be freaked by it and would still wanna be my friend,” she claimed, with a worried look on her face.

Buffy couldn’t believe she would think that. “Of course I’ll still be your friend. I think it’s great that you found someone. Tara’s really nice and if she makes you happy, then I’m all for it.”

Willow let out a squeal and attacked her in a hug. “I’m so glad you’re okay with this, Buffy. I didn’t wanna lose you as a friend.”

Buffy returned the embrace.

They both broke away after a little while.

“You never have to worry about that.”

Willow was beyond relieved now.

They then continued to talk about Xander’s upcoming wedding.


* * * * *


“This is so wrong. I’m being punished for something,” Buffy said, staring at the dress that Anya picked out for her to wear at the wedding. The dress was bright green, with ruffles on the sleeves. It was the most hideous dress that she had ever seen.

“I don’t know, love. I think you look quite fetching.”

Buffy rolled her eyes at Spike’s attempt to cheer her up. “You’re really not helping. This dress has to be radioactive or something. She can’t be serious about this.”

Spike wrapped his arms around her waist. “Radioactive or not, you’re still the most gorgeous creature in the world.”

That got a smile out of her. She turned around to look at him better. “Well, it’ll all be worth it when I see you in a tux.”

Spike rolled his eyes this time. “I bloody hate those things. I look like a ponce.”

Buffy smiled and pressed a quick kiss to his lips. “Yeah, but a cute one. What is a ponce, anyway?” she wondered.

“Soon to be your boyfriend.”

Buffy shrugged and gazed back at her reflection in the mirror. “Okay, I think it’s time to take this dress off now.”

Spike gave her his trademark smirk and trailed his eyes over her body. “I can help you with that,” he told her huskily.

She shook her head. “Don’t even think about it. The dress may be hideous, but Anya won’t be happy if you damage it.”

Spike pouted.

“That won’t work with me. I invented that.”

He let out a sigh, knowing that it would be pointless.

They both suddenly heard Katie crying.

“I’ll get her,” he said and left the room.

Buffy stared at the dress. She scrunched up her nose and decided to change into something a little less green and repulsive. What was Anya thinking?


* * * * *


Buffy entered the nursery and saw Spike sitting in a chair, bouncing Katie on his lap.

She was giggling and having the time of her life.

Spike glanced up when he noticed her there.

Buffy only gave him a smile. “I love watching you with her.”

Spike blushed and looked away from her gaze.

Buffy didn’t think he could possibly be anymore perfect. Where had this Spike been hiding all these years? They had a lot of time to make up for.

“She just wanted to be held.” He got up and handed Katie over to her mother.

Buffy noticed that the child was starting to fall back to sleep and placed her in the crib. She turned back to Spike and gave him a kiss on the lips, then pulled away to see the smile on his face. “You are the cutest thing.”

He felt his cheeks heat up at her comment. “Been called many things in my life.”

She grabbed his hand and pulled him out of the room.

Spike still couldn’t believe that any of this was happening to him. He never imagined it could happen.


Flashback

“Hey, Reynolds? I would like a word with you.”

Spike stopped at the familiar voice and turned around to see his least favorite person. “What do you want, Peaches?”

Angel clenched his fists at the name, but didn’t say anything about it. “You know what I want. I want you to stay the hell away from my girlfriend. You got that? I see the way you’ve been looking at her.”

Spike grinned and moved closer to the taller man. “Did I hit a nerve? Afraid of a little competition, mate?”

Angel wasn’t amused. “Right, like you could ever compete with me. Buffy would never want a freak like you. She’ll always be my girl, and you better get that through your thick head. If I see you looking at her again, there will be hell to pay.”

Spike laughed. “Are you actually threatening me? I’m not scared of you, Peaches. Newsflash; I could care less about your sodding girlfriend. If you ask me, you both deserve each other. You’re an arrogant wanker that thinks he’s better than everyone else, and she’s a snob that only cares about cheerleading and fashion. She’s not my type. I’ve been watching her, so I can think of new ways to annoy her. It’s what I live for these days,” he finished with a smirk.

Angel felt like wiping it off of his face. “You don’t know anything about her,” he spat instead, then walked away.

Spike stared after him and realized that the ponce was right, but he couldn't really find it in him to care.

End Flashback



Spike broke out of his reverie and gazed at the young woman next to him. He couldn’t imagine ever feeling anything but love for her. Everything he ever told Angel was out of jealousy. Spike realized that he really didn’t know anything about Buffy. He smiled and caressed her cheek. That was all about to change. She was his now and he would never let her go. Angel was a bloody idiot for walking away. Spike knew that this was the girl that he wanted to spend the rest of his life with. Nothing else seemed to matter.