Chapter 12

Flashback

“Just look at them, mate. Have you ever seen such a disgusting display?” Spike commented at lunch as he watched Buffy and Angel snog in the distance.

Xander rolled his eyes. “What annoys me is the fact that you can’t seem to talk about anything else. If it bothers you so much, you could always stop looking.”

Spike knew his friend was right and finally turned away. “I just wanted to see if one of them would choke on the other’s tongue. That bloke is a bloody pain in the arse. She’s just as irritating; the bitch thinks she’s so special and everyone should worship the ground she walks on.”

Xander couldn’t take anymore and decided to give Spike a piece of his mind. “You know what? I’m not gonna sit here and listen to this anymore. You may be my friend, but you don’t really know anything.”

Spike was surprised by his tone. “Just what don’t I know?” he wondered with raised eyebrows.

“Buffy’s not a bitch. She may be popular and everything, but she doesn’t let it get to her head like most girls would. She cares about people, and she doesn’t look down on them just because they’re different. Look at me, man. I’m nowhere near popular and she’s still my friend. She stuck up for me once when the jocks thought it was funny to pants me in front of everyone. She told them off and they haven’t bothered me since. She’s a really nice person and deserves to be treated like one. I don’t know what your problem is with her, but I really don’t care. You need to get your facts straight before you judge her like that. I’ll see you later,” he finished, then got up and walked out of the cafeteria.

Spike felt even worse now. He really didn’t know what his problem was, but he knew the problem wasn’t Buffy.

End Flashback



Spike gazed at the sleeping girl next to him and thought back to everything that happened with them the last few months. He couldn’t believe that his jealousy of Angel led him to treating this amazing girl like she was nothing. Xander was right; he had no right to judge her. He felt horrible thinking about everything that they had now. Spike didn’t deserve it and lightly caressed her cheek.

The movement caused her to open her eyes. “Are you okay?” she wondered, noticing the expression on his face.

“Yeah, I just can’t believe that any of this is happening. I don’t deserve you, Buffy.”

She became worried and sat up. “What are you talking about?”

Spike ran his fingers through his tousled hair and thought about what to tell her. “I was horrible to you, pet. You didn’t deserve that. I see what an amazing woman you are now, and it makes me regret that I didn’t get a chance to know you in the past. Xander tried telling me how great you were, but I wouldn’t listen. I just kept seeing you with Angel and nothing else seemed to matter.” He started to feel tears in his eyes and tried not to show them. “I love you, Buffy. I’m so sorry for everything.”

Buffy wrapped her arms around him and guided his head to her shoulder. “It’s okay, Spike. It was all in the past, we’re different people now. You’ve made up for it by being here and helping me with Katie. We both love you.”

Spike glanced up at her and didn’t care to hide his tears anymore. He leaned closer and planted a kiss on her lips, then moved his lips to her forehead and closed his eyes. “I’ll never let you go, love. I’ll always be here. You and Katie are my whole world.”

Buffy felt tears of her own and held him tighter. “I know,” she whispered.

No more words needed to be said after that.


* * * * *


They were at the park the next day. Katie was in her stroller and they were sitting on a bench, watching the children that were running around.

Buffy hoped to have more kids in the future. She wanted one that was both hers and Spike’s, but had plenty of time for that. Right now, she was happy with what she had.

Spike took Katie out of the stroller and placed her on his lap, so she could also watch the other children. He started to bounce her on his knee.

A young woman headed over to them. She smiled at what looked like a happy family. “You both make such an adorable couple.”

Buffy smiled up at her in gratitude. “Thank you,” she replied.

The woman nodded and walked away.

Spike could tell that Katie was getting tired and placed her back in the stroller. He was too busy with her to notice the other woman. “I think it’s time for someone’s nap.”

Buffy agreed as they stood up and made their way home.


* * * * *


They got back to the house and put Katie down for her nap.

Spike then followed Buffy into her room.

She closed the door and stared at him, a devious look in her eyes as she pushed him onto the bed.

He gazed up at her, with awe and lust.

Buffy got on top of him. She gave him a hard kiss and slipped her tongue into his mouth.

Spike wrapped his arms around her and held her tighter, eagerly returning the kiss.

She pulled away when they both needed to breathe.

Spike tried to control himself before he spoke. “So, do you ever think about getting a place of our own?”

Buffy grinned. “Yeah, that sounds like a good idea,” she said, then got back to kissing him. She loved living in her mother’s house and Joyce was really helpful with the baby, but they could both use the privacy of their own home. It was definitely something to think about.