Chapter 13

“I can’t believe we’re living together now. Did you ever think this would happen?”

Buffy and Spike were sitting in their new house. It didn’t take them long to find one that was perfect. It was only about a ten minute drive from Joyce’s house.

“Can’t say that I did, but I wouldn’t have it any other way,” he said, placing a kiss on the top of her head.

She couldn’t keep the smile off of her face.

Katie was asleep in her new nursery and they were both enjoying their time alone together.

Buffy then started to laugh.

Spike looked at her in confusion. “Care to let me in on the joke?”

She shook her head and tried to control herself. “I just keep thinking about everything in high school. If someone told me that I would end up living with you, I would have thought they were crazy.”

Spike smiled a little at that. “I would have to agree with you, love. If you remember correctly, there was a time when we were actually somewhat decent to each other.”

Buffy smiled in return as she remembered.


Flashback

Buffy was waiting for Angel at the Prom. It was the most important night in a senior’s life and he had to work, so he told her that he would have to meet her there later. She knew that everything with Angel wasn’t as good as it was at the start of their relationship. They wanted too many different things and she had a feeling they wouldn’t last after high school. Buffy was brought out of her reverie when she heard a familiar voice behind her.

“Well, what is Cinderella doing at the dance without a date?”

Buffy rolled her eyes and turned around to glare at Spike. “He should be here soon. I never expected you to show up. I thought you hated all school events.”

Spike shrugged. “I was bored, figured I would see what all the fuss was about,” he said, looking her up and down. “You look good, Goldilocks.”

Buffy was surprised at the compliment. She decided to let his nickname for her go. “Thanks, so do you. It wouldn’t kill you to wear a tux, though.”

He shook his head. “I refuse to dress like a pansy.”

Buffy nodded. “Right, of course. So, do you actually have a date?”

Spike laughed. “Yeah, like I would wanna be seen with any of the twits at this school. I’ll be sure to save you a dance, though,” he told her with a wink.

Buffy rolled her eyes again. “You wish, bleach boy,” she claimed with a hint of a smile on her face. This was probably the most civilized Spike ever was to her. She suddenly saw Angel walk in and glanced at Spike one more time. “I should go now.” She started to walk away, but Spike prevented her from leaving.

He took a deep breath. “You do look really nice tonight, pet.”

Buffy gave him a genuine smile. “Thanks,” she replied and headed over to Angel.

Spike watched her go with a sigh, then turned in the other direction. He decided that he would be going back to England after graduation. There was nothing for him in Sunnydale.

End Flashback



“See, I was nice to you and everything,” Spike commented.

“I guess you could say that. I was starting to see you as more than a jerk and you just ended up leaving town. I didn’t even get to see you at graduation,” she said with a pout.

Spike felt like nibbling on her lower lip, but remained focused on the conversation. “I didn’t think anyone would miss me. I never actually planned on coming back, but you know what happened. I couldn’t exactly stay in England anymore and knew that Jenny had a baby on the way, so I figured I would use that as my excuse to come back. I was also hoping that you would still be around. You think a girl that was born and raised in this town would want to leave it one day.”

Buffy shook her head. “Nope, I couldn’t imagine living anywhere else. My whole life is here.”

Spike smiled and placed a tender kiss on her lips. “Yeah, so is mine.”

Buffy rested her head on his shoulder. She could definitely get used to this.


* * * * *


Spike entered his house the next day to hear voices coming from inside. He frowned when he saw Buffy laughing with a man that he didn’t recognize. The same man was holding Katie and he didn’t know what to think about that, wondering if the bloke could be Riley.

Buffy stopped laughing long enough to notice him standing there. She graced him with a smile. “Spike, this is Lorne.”

Spike sighed in relief when he realized the man wasn’t Riley, but he was still another man that was holding the child that Spike considered to be his own.

“So, this is Spike,” Lorne said as he looked him over.

Spike felt uncomfortable under the other man’s gaze.

“Buffy has told me quite a bit about you.”

Spike gave a small smile and still wondered how this bloke knew his girlfriend, but didn’t have to wonder for long.

“Lorne is a friend from college. I haven’t seen him in months,” she explained.

Spike nodded and didn’t like the way Buffy’s face lit up when she was around another man.

Lorne could sense the awkwardness in the room and handed the baby back to Buffy. “I should probably get going now. It was great to see you again, sweetie,” he said, placing a kiss on Buffy’s cheek. “You’re still as gorgeous as ever. Thanks for letting me see the little darling. She’s just the cutest thing.”

Buffy smiled at his compliments. “I really missed you. Feel free to stop by anytime.”

Lorne nodded and returned her smile. “I’ll keep that in mind. It was nice to meet you,” he said the last part to Spike, then walked out of the house.

Buffy could tell that Katie was starting to doze off and took her back to the nursery. She closed the door and looked at Spike, who had yet to say anything. “You okay?” she wondered.

He was brought out of his thoughts by her voice. “Who was that, Buffy? Is he just a friend?”

Buffy was surprised by his outburst, then exploded into laughter.

Spike was confused and a little hurt.

“Are you actually jealous of Lorne? Trust me; you really don’t have to be.”

Spike crossed his arms over his chest. “Why the hell not? I come home to find a somewhat attractive man flirting with my girlfriend and holding my daughter. I think I’m allowed to be upset.”

Buffy stopped her laughter when Spike called Katie that. She always knew that he felt like Katie was his daughter, but that was the first time he ever said it. She moved closer to him and took both of his hands in hers. “Lorne is just a friend, Spike. I’m not exactly his type, so you don’t have to worry.”

Spike raised his eyebrows. “What? Beautiful women aren’t his type?”

Buffy shook her head and smiled. “No, but beautiful men are. You’re more his type than I am.”

Spike felt embarrassed when he realized what she was implying. “You mean he’s gay?”

Buffy nodded. “Yeah, big time. I can’t believe that wasn’t obvious.”

Spike shrugged and suddenly looked shy. “I don’t know. I just saw him with you and I guess I got a bit crazy. Forgive me?” he said with a pout.

Buffy couldn’t resist that. “Of course I do. It’s cute that you were jealous, but you really don’t have to be. You’re the only one I want.”

Spike felt relieved and kissed her on the lips. “That’s good to know,” he said, wrapping his arms around her and pulling her closer.

Buffy rested her head against his chest and knew that everything would be okay. This was the man that she was going to spend the rest of her life with.