Author's Chapter Notes:
I had to get things moving, so some time has passed from the last chapter. I didn’t want Katie to remain a baby forever and we’re almost to the end, anyway. I apologize for the mushiness of the chapter for those that aren’t really into that. I guess I was just in a mood at the time. Thanks for the reviews=)
Chapter 14

Six years later...

“Remind me to never have children. It’s like a zoo out there,” Dawn commented, rubbing her tired eyes.

Buffy smiled at her. “Trust me; you’ll want kids someday.”

Dawn wasn’t convinced.

It was Katie’s sixth birthday and the house was filled with all of her little friends.

“I think I’m gonna lay down for a bit,” she said and left the kitchen.

Buffy got back to decorating the birthday cake.


* * * * *


“What do you think, nibblet?” Spike asked the little girl as he showed her the object in his hand.

“It’s shiny,” she replied.

Spike smiled and put it back in his pocket.

They were sitting outside, away from all of the chaos.

“Do you think your mother will like it?”

A bright smile lit up the girl’s face. “Mommy likes shiny.”

Spike smiled again and picked up the child, placing her on his knee. “Well, your mum deserves the best.” He pressed a kiss to Katie’s forehead.

The girl gazed up at him with her big, green eyes. “Daddy, is it time for presents?” she wondered in a sweet voice.

Spike shook his head. “You are your mother’s daughter. I think she wants to do the cake first, princess.”

The back door opened and a dark haired boy ran out of the house. “Come on, Katie. We’re playing games,” he said, grabbing her hand.

Spike stopped him before he could pull her away. “Charlie, is that frosting on your face?”

He nodded. “Aunt Buffy let me taste the spoon.”

Spike rolled his eyes. “Of course she did. Go clean up before you play anymore games. I’m sure your father doesn’t want you to have too many sweets.”

Charlie nodded again and ran back into the house.

“Can I go play, Daddy?”

Spike smiled at her. He seemed to do that a lot around her. “It’s your birthday, bit. Just be careful.”

Katie nodded enthusiastically and ran into the house as well.

Spike decided to get a few more minutes of quiet before he went back in to join everyone else.


* * * * *


Buffy and Spike were lying on the couch after all of the kids left. They were beyond tired and it looked like Katie was, too.

She was passed out on the floor and snoring lightly, surrounded by all of her now opened presents.

Buffy smiled at her little girl, then turned to Spike. “I think we should put her to bed.”

Spike agreed. “Yeah, I’ll do it.” He got up and walked over to Katie, picking the child up gently and carrying her to her room.

Buffy stood after a moment and started to clean the house a bit.


* * * * *


She found Spike in their room after putting away all of the leftovers.

He was pacing back and forth, seeming a little nervous.

“You okay?” Buffy asked after closing the door.

Spike nodded and stopped his movement. “Yeah, nothing for you to worry about,” he responded with a smile.

Buffy figured that it was time she told him her news. She couldn’t wait any longer. “Spike, there’s something I have to tell you.”

He looked concerned now. “What is it?”

Buffy moved closer to him, taking both of his hands in hers. She took a deep breath and just decided to get it over with. “I’m pregnant,” she revealed.

His eyes widened in shock, then a huge smile formed on his face. “You’re pregnant?”

Buffy nodded to confirm it.

Spike grabbed her in a hug and flooded her face with kisses. He pulled away after a moment. “We’re having a baby?” He had to make sure that he wasn’t hearing things.

“Yeah, we’re having a baby. I take it you’re okay with this.”

Spike couldn’t believe that she thought he wouldn’t be. “Hell yeah, I’m okay with it. I love you, Buffy,” he said with so much emotion in his voice.

“I love you, too.” She pressed her lips to his in a soft kiss.

Spike pulled away and tucked a piece of hair behind her ear. He felt nervous again. “This now makes what I have to say even more perfect.” He then reached into his pocket and pulled a small, black box out.

She gasped when he opened it to reveal a beautiful, diamond ring.

“Buffy, will you marry me?” he asked and awaited her answer.

She looked into his eyes and wondered about something first. “This isn’t because I’m pregnant, right?”

Spike smiled and shook his head. “I’ve wanted to ask you for a long time now. I just had a hard time doing it. I can’t imagine being with anyone else, Buffy. I love Katie, and we’re going to have a child together. You’ve made me the happiest man in the world, and the only thing missing is getting to call you my wife.”

Buffy felt tears cloud her vision, but she didn’t hesitate with her answer. “Yes, I’ll marry you.”

Spike felt tears of his own in his eyes and placed the ring on her finger. He brought her hand to his mouth and kissed her knuckles. “I’ll spend the rest of my life making you happy,” he whispered to her.

“You make me happy every day, Spike. You’re the best thing that could have happened to me. I don’t know what I would have done if you never came back into my life.”

Spike wiped away some of the tears that were falling down her face, planting a kiss on the tip of her nose. “You never have to find out.” He kissed her sweetly on the lips, then held her until she fell asleep. He watched her for a while longer, placing his hand on her stomach and smiling when he thought about his baby being inside of her. Spike wrapped his arms around Buffy and held her tighter as he soon followed her in slumber.