Chapter 15

Buffy woke up when she heard voices in the living room. She got out of bed carefully and walked out of the room. She married Spike a few months ago and it was a gorgeous ceremony. Buffy wanted them to be married before she started to show too much. She was due to give birth any day now and was very uncomfortable. Katie was out with Dawn and she wondered where her husband was, but didn’t have to wonder for long. She found Spike in the living room talking with another woman. She recognized the woman as Winifred Burkle, who worked at the Bronze with Spike. He was the bartender and she was a waitress.

Spike stopped the conversation when he noticed her there. “Buffy, you should be in bed.”

“I couldn’t sleep. What’s going on?” She looked back and forth between them.

“I was just helping Fred with something. It’s nothing for you to worry about.”

Buffy couldn’t help the worried feeling that she had been having. She was practically as big as a house now and he was always surrounded by beautiful women at the club. She only gave him a smile, even though she wasn’t feeling it. “Anything I can help with?”

Spike shook his head. “It’s really nothing,” he told her.

Fred stood up and grabbed her purse. “I should get going. Thanks for listening to me, Spike. It was nice seeing you again,” she said to Buffy, then left the house.

“What was that really about, Spike? What did she need your help with? Are you having an affair?”

Spike could have burst out laughing at that implication, if she didn’t look so upset. “How could you think that I would have an affair?”

She shrugged. “What am I supposed to think? You’ve been spending a lot of time at the Bronze, and most of the time you’re not even working. I know I’m not much to look at right now, but this is your baby I’m carrying. If you’re going to leave me, you should just say so.”

Spike wrapped his arms around her round belly. He pressed his lips to her forehead. “I will never leave you, Buffy. You’re the only one I could ever want. You will always be beautiful to me. Just the fact that you’re carrying my child makes you even more beautiful.”

Buffy was starting to feel better at his words. “Sorry, I just tend to get emotional a lot these days.”

Spike nodded in understanding. “Well, you don’t ever have to worry about me leaving you. Fred was only here to talk about Wesley. She’s interested in him and was just hoping that I could set something up. That’s all it was. She’s just a friend,” he explained to her.

Buffy sighed in relief. “Right, I knew that.”

“Sure you did. Now, you should get back to bed.”

She was about to do that, but something made her stop. “That might not be such a good idea right now.”

He raised his eyebrows. “What do you mean?”

Buffy took a deep breath. “I think the baby’s coming,” she said, looking down at the puddle that was now on the floor.

Spike tried not to panic. “All right, let’s get you to the hospital.” He grabbed her hand and helped her outside. He went back for her bag, throwing it in the back of the car and getting in himself after getting her situated. “I’m feeling déjà vu here,” he said, remembering the last time he took her to the hospital.

Buffy was breathing heavily now. “Just shut up and drive.”

Spike nodded and started the car. “I can do that.” He then headed off to the hospital.


* * * * *


“You are never touching me again!” Buffy yelled as another contraction went through her.

“You know you don’t mean that.”

Buffy glared at him. “You wanna bet?” She let out a scream at the intense pain. “God, I can’t take anymore,” she said, lying back on the bed.

“You’re almost there, Buffy. You have to give us one more push,” the doctor told her.

Buffy could hardly hear him at this point. She only shook her head. “I don’t think I can,” she replied in a weary voice.

Spike gave her hand a squeeze. “You can do it, sweetheart. Just one more push and you’ll have a beautiful baby in your arms.”

Buffy remembered the last time he told her that. She took a deep breath and nodded, then pushed with everything that she had in her. She lay back in the bed once she was done, completely exhausted. She smiled at the sound of her baby crying.

“Congratulations, you have a boy.”

The baby was cleaned off and placed in Buffy’s arms.

Spike had tears in his eyes when he saw the little one. He couldn’t believe that he had a son. “You did it, love,” he told her, kissing her sweaty head.

“We did it,” she replied. “What are we gonna name this little guy?”

“It’s your choice, pet.”

Buffy smiled and gazed down at the bundle in her arms.

He opened his eyes after a moment to reveal how big and blue they were. Just like his father.

“How about William?” she said suddenly.

Spike felt touched at the thought of her naming their son after him. “That sounds good.” He looked at his family, with a soft expression on his face. He had a beautiful wife and two beautiful children now. Spike didn’t think life could possibly get any better than that.