Chapter 3

“He’s so cute, Mrs. Giles,” Buffy claimed as she held the baby in her arms.

“Please, call me Jenny. Looks like you’ll soon be having your own bundle of joy.”

Buffy nodded. “Yeah, in a few weeks. I’m really nervous about it.”

Jenny graced her with a warm smile. “You’re going to do fine, Buffy.”

Buffy hoped that was true and gazed at the sleeping baby in her arms. She hadn’t seen Spike since that day in the baby store months ago. She decided to finally pay them a visit. He was out with Giles at the moment, but Jenny let her in and was happy to show her the baby.

“You wait here; I’ll put Charlie to bed,” she said, taking the bundle from Buffy and then heading up the stairs.

Buffy was sitting there patiently after that.

The front door suddenly opened and two male voices could be heard.

They found her in the living room.

The older man’s face lit up when he noticed her. “Buffy, it’s great to see you,” he stated, giving her a hug.

“It’s good to see you, too. I decided it was about time I paid a visit. Your baby is beautiful, Giles.”

He smiled and released her from the embrace. “Yes, he is. Is Jenny upstairs?”

Buffy nodded.

Giles gave her one more smile before going upstairs to join his wife.

Buffy then looked at Spike, who had been silent since he saw her there. “Okay, I have never known you to be this quiet. What’s up?”

Spike only shrugged. “Nothing, I just still can’t believe you’re pregnant. You look like you’re about to pop any minute now.”

Buffy rolled her eyes. “Thanks, that’s really sweet of you,” she commented sarcastically and tried to stand up.

Spike was by her side in an instant to help her off of the couch.

She looked into his eyes and was amazed to see genuine concern there, but only shook that thought off and gave him a grateful smile. “I should get home.”

Spike nodded and watched her walk out of the house. He let out a sigh and plopped down on the couch. He still acted like a nancy boy whenever he was around her. He always knew she was beautiful, but her being pregnant only made her more beautiful. Yeah, he was definitely in trouble.


* * * * *


Buffy was feeling intense pains in her stomach and she was really worried about what they could mean. Her mother was away and she was alone in the house. She didn’t know what to do, when she then heard a knock on the front door. She opened it and was surprised to see Spike standing there.

He gave her a shy smile. “Hey, I don’t really know why I’m here.”

She moved out of the way to let him into the house.

“I guess I was wondering if you needed help with anything.”

Buffy was surprised again, but didn’t have time to think about it. He seemed to be the answer to her prayers right now. “Do you have your car here?” she wondered.

He raised his eyebrows at the question. “Yeah, it’s outside.”

Buffy nodded and took a deep breath. “That’s really good. I need you to drive me somewhere.”

Spike agreed without any hesitation. “Sure, where do you want to go?”

Buffy felt another contraction shoot through her. She clutched at her stomach. “I need to go to the hospital. I think I’m having the baby.”

Spike’s eyes widened at that realization. “Are you sure?”

She nodded again. “Pretty sure, my water just broke.”

Spike glanced down to see a puddle on the floor, then focused back up at her. “Aren’t you early?”

“The baby doesn’t care about that. She wants out now.” Buffy released a piercing scream and grabbed her stomach again.

Spike went to her side and helped her out to his car. He let her in on the passenger side, then went to his side. He got in and looked at Buffy. “It’ll be okay, love. Just keep taking deep breaths. I’ll get you there as soon as I can.” He started the car and headed to the hospital.

Buffy just rubbed her stomach and did as he said. She hoped everything would be okay and little did she know, Spike was thinking the same thing.


* * * * *


Buffy was screaming as she was rolled into the delivery room.

The doctor hurried over to Spike. “Are you the father?”

Spike didn’t even get a chance to say anything as the doctor handed him hospital scrubs to put on, so he could join her in the delivery room. Spike couldn’t believe he was doing this, but he put them on and followed the doctor into the room. Buffy was screaming bloody murder when he walked in there. He took a deep breath and went over to her side.

She looked up at him and seemed to be really relieved that he was there, holding her hand out.

He didn’t hesitate and took her small hand in his. The doctor was saying stuff that Spike wasn’t really paying attention to. This whole thing just brought back too many painful memories for him.

“You’re doing great, Buffy. This baby really wants to come out. Just give us one more big push.”

Buffy looked beyond exhausted and tried to listen to what the doctor told her. “I don’t think I can. It hurts so much,” she said in a defeated tone.

Spike gave her hand a comforting squeeze. “You can do it, love. Just one more push and you’ll have a beautiful baby in your arms.” There was no doubt in his mind that Buffy’s baby would be anything but beautiful.

She nodded and grasped Spike’s hand tighter, pushing with everything that she had in her. It took away a lot of her energy and she lay back in the bed once she was finished. The sound of a baby crying brought tears to her eyes. The baby was cleaned off and wrapped in a blanket before being placed in her arms.

“Congratulations, Buffy. You have a beautiful, baby girl.”

Buffy had tears falling down her face as she stared at the gorgeous baby in her arms. “I guess you were a girl,” she whispered and couldn’t remember ever feeling so happy. She glanced up at Spike and could see that his hands were shaking. He also had tears in his eyes and Buffy wondered if he was okay.

He then turned to look at the doctor. “They’re okay, right? There were no problems?”

The doctor shook his head. “They are both going to be fine.”

Spike sighed in relief and gave the doctor a small smile.

Buffy wanted to ask him why he was so concerned, but she figured it wasn’t the right time. She only turned her attention back on the little angel that was in her arms.

Spike was really happy for Buffy, but he couldn’t help feeling a little bit sad. A part of him really wished that he was looking at his family, but he knew that Buffy never belonged to him and that the child belonged to another man. Even if that man wasn’t in her life at the moment. He pushed all of those thoughts away and just gazed at Buffy and her daughter. He decided that he would do whatever he could to help her out. And maybe someday, they would be his family.