Chapter 5

“She has your eyes,” Spike told her.

“Yeah, but she has her daddy’s nose. Good thing for that.”

He smiled. “You have a cute nose, Summers.”

Buffy was surprised by what he said. Spike really has changed. “Thanks again for doing this. My mom is away and I really need to get out of the house for a bit.”

Spike nodded as the baby started to fall asleep. “Where are you going, anyway?” he wondered.

“Just out with Willow. She has a friend that she wanted me to meet. I’m not a fan of blind dates, but I think I’m pretty much desperate at this point.”

Spike felt pained at the thought of her going out with another man, but he only gave her a smile. “Well, have fun.”

Buffy smiled in return. “You know what, Spike? I really like this change in you. It almost seems like you care about me.”

He was about to tell her that he did care, but she grabbed her coat and headed to the door before he got a chance to.

She kissed Katie on the top of her head and after giving him one more smile, walked out of the house.

Spike sighed and looked down at the sleeping infant in his arms. “Come on, princess. It’s time for all little girls to be in bed,” he whispered and carried her upstairs to the nursery. He placed her into her crib once he got up there. He gazed in awe at the sleeping child and again wished that she was his. Spike wanted Buffy to be happy, but a part of him hoped that her date wouldn't work out.


* * * * *


Buffy met Willow at the Bronze and she noticed a tall man next to her. She put on a smile and headed over to them.

“Hey, sorry I’m a little late,” she said.

Willow just shrugged it off. “Don’t worry about it. Buffy, this is Owen. He’s the guy I was telling you about.”

Buffy smiled at the attractive man standing next to her friend and gave his hand a shake. “It’s nice to meet you.”

Owen graced her with a smile of his own, returning the hand shake. “Same goes to you. It’s great to finally meet the friend that Willow’s always talking about.” He let her hand go after a moment.

Willow ushered them both over to a table. “I’m just gonna get some drinks. I’m sure you guys will get along great,” she stated in a cheery voice, then left them alone.

Buffy gazed at the man across from her and gave another smile. She definitely had a good feeling about this.


* * * * *


She was bored out of her mind about an hour later. Willow never returned and she was stuck listening to Owen talk about his football days in high school. Buffy now knew more about the sport than she ever would have liked. She hardly got any words in. She would only smile and nod, hoping that the night would just end already.

“I wonder where Willow is,” she finally blurted out.

Owen shrugged. “Don’t know, maybe she met up with someone. Oh, I have to tell you about the time I scored three touchdowns in one game. That was awesome!" he exclaimed.

She rolled her eyes as he told her another one of his many football stories, finding it hard to stay awake at this point. Willow was so going to pay for this.


* * * * *


Buffy finally got rid of Owen when she told him that she had to go to the restroom because she was having cramps. That seemed to get him very quiet all of a sudden and she couldn’t get away fast enough. Buffy then found Willow chatting with a brunette by the bar. She went over to them.

“There you are. We really need to talk.”

Willow knew that look on her friend’s face. She turned back to the girl that she was talking to. “I’ll see you later, Tara.”

The girl nodded and walked off.

Willow then went to join Buffy. “So, how’d it go?” she wondered, even though she had a feeling it didn’t go so well.

“It was a disaster. The only thing he seems to know about is football. You had to know this wouldn’t work out.”

Willow looked upset and nodded. “I’m sorry, Buffy. I was just trying to find you a nice guy. I really didn’t know he would be so dull.”

Buffy sighed and knew that she shouldn’t take it out on her friend. “It’s not your fault. You were only trying to help. I guess I just need to keep looking.”

Willow nodded again and put her arm around the blonde’s shoulders. “The right guy is out there, Buffy. You’ll find him.”

Buffy gave Willow a small smile and really wished she could believe that.


* * * * *


Buffy arrived home later that night to find Spike asleep on the couch. She smiled at how innocent he looked and went to wake him.

Spike opened his eyes when he felt someone poking him. “Hey, how was the date?” he asked her, hoping that he wouldn’t regret it.

She let out a sigh and sat down next to him. “It could have been better.”

Spike didn’t say anything else when he realized that she didn’t want to talk about it. “Well, I guess I should go. Katie was sleeping pretty much the whole time. Easiest babysitting job ever, not that I’ve done a lot,” he told her with a smile.

“Thanks again, Spike. I really appreciate you watching her for me.”

Spike shrugged and stood up. “No problem, I’m available if you need me. Goodnight, Buffy.” He walked out of the house, without waiting for her to say anything else. He sighed once he was outside. He said he would help out anyway he could, but he didn’t think he could continue being her babysitter while she went out with other men. Spike just hoped he knew what he got himself into.