Author's Chapter Notes:
I have to admit that this chapter was fun for me to write. The whole point of Buffy going on really bad dates is to help her realize how great Spike is. So, just stick with me. There will be much Spuffiness to come. I will be dealing with a few flashbacks to explain more about their past. Reviews would really make me happy right about now=)
Chapter 6

“I liked Episode Two. It was much better than Episode One, but nothing can compare to the original saga. What was your favorite Star Wars movie?”

Buffy raised her eyebrows at the whole conversation. She was on yet another date and it could not be going any worse. Andrew seemed like a decent enough guy, but he was a little too out there for her. “I must have missed those.”

He had a look of complete shock on his face now. “Wow, I don’t know of anyone who hasn’t seen Star Wars. You don’t know what you’re missing,” he said, taking a bite out of his chicken sandwich.

Buffy definitely felt a headache coming on. She was about to excuse herself to go to the restroom, but something made her stop. A man walked by and she briefly caught Andrew checking out his ass. She laughed at the thought of her date being gay. Perfect, that was just what she needed to make her night even worse.

He looked at her in confusion.

Buffy only gave him a smile. “It’s been fun,” she said, then stood up and walked away. This just kept getting better and better.


* * * * *


“A woman’s place is in the home. They should be cooking and cleaning, not out working with the real men. Their only job should be taking care of the kids. The world would be a much better place if they would just stick to what they’re supposed to do.”

Buffy glared at the man across from her. Warren Mears was a pig that obviously knew nothing about women. He was still living in the seventeenth century. Another date from Hell, but this time, she was sick of being polite. “You know what? You’re a disgusting pig. Incase you haven’t noticed, women are the superior sex. We can do anything a man can do, if not better. There are a lot of men out there that prefer taking care of the kids. You need to get your foot out of your ass long enough to take a look around. This is the twenty-first century. No one thinks like that anymore and now I’m realizing why you don’t have a girlfriend. Asshole!” she spat, then got up and stomped away from the bastard, leaving him to stare after her in shock.


* * * * *


“I was arrested for dealing drugs, but I swear it wasn’t my fault. I didn’t even know that guy was a cop. It’s really not very nice of them to trick people like that. Then my girl dumped me. I was only basically just keeping her around for the sex, anyway. Chicks are only good when they’re under me, if you know what I mean,” Parker Abrams said with a wink.

Buffy gave him a look that could kill. This was unbelievable. Someone up there must really hate her. She only raised her hand to get the waiter’s attention. “Check please,” she said, then buried her face in her hands. Things were really starting to suck beyond the telling of it.


* * * * *


Buffy entered her house after another horrible date. She couldn’t believe her bad luck. She was starting to think that there were no good men left in the world. Her mother was working late at the gallery and she really needed someone to talk to. She stopped when she walked into the living room. Buffy was greeted by the sweetest sight that she had ever seen.

Spike was asleep on the couch and Katie was lying on top of him, also asleep. He had his arm around her like he didn’t want to let her go.

Buffy smiled and moved closer to the couch, wishing that she had a camera to capture the moment.

The movement caused Spike to open his eyes. He gave her a smile when he noticed her there. “Sorry, got kinda tired.”

Buffy shook her head and took the baby from him, being careful not to wake her. “It’s okay, I’m just gonna take her up to bed. I’ll be right back,” she whispered.

Spike nodded and watched Buffy head upstairs. He glanced around the room to keep himself busy. His eyes landed on a picture by the couch. He picked it up and smiled when he saw that it was a picture of Buffy from high school. She was in her cheerleading outfit and she looked bloody gorgeous. Of course, Spike always knew she was gorgeous. She literally took his breath away from the first moment he saw her.


Flashback

Spike hated Sunnydale the moment he stepped into it. He was looking at his new high school and just knew that he was going to hate it there. He missed his life in England and all of his friends. He would never fit in at this place. He sighed and started to walk up to the school, stopping suddenly when he saw a girl get out of a car and head in his direction. She was blonde, petite, and the most gorgeous creature he had ever laid his eyes on. He found it hard to breathe as she moved closer to him. No girl ever affected him like that before.

She walked right by him and gave him a small smile.

He stared after her as she entered the school and he was soon following her inside.

She stopped in front of a locker and started to put her things in.

Spike couldn’t seem to take his eyes off of her, when he heard a voice come from behind him.

“You must be new here.”

He turned at the voice to see a dark haired boy standing there.

“Is it that obvious?”

The guy nodded. “Yeah, my name’s Xander,” he introduced himself.

“Name’s Spike.”

Xander nodded again and didn’t comment on the odd name. He only looked ahead to see what had Spike so interested.

Spike saw that the girl was still in his view.

Xander noticed the expression on the blonde’s face and sighed. “I would give it up, man. She’s not someone you wanna be interested in. That’s Buffy Summers. Pretty much the most popular girl in school, and she belongs to Angel Hart. They’re the hottest couple around here and you should be careful. He doesn’t like it when other guys look at her.”

Spike took in everything he said, then noticed a tall brunette walk over to Buffy and put his arm around her.

She smiled and walked away with him.

Spike frowned and continued to watch them, until they were out of sight. Just his luck. Of course she would have a boyfriend. He figured she could do better than that ponce, though. He was clearly a jock and Spike hated jocks. They always tormented him. He figured that Goldilocks must be a cheerleader if she was popular and dating that bloke. She was probably stuck up then and he was better off. Spike had dealt with girls like that before and no good ever came out of it. He finally looked away and turned back to Xander. “Who said I was interested? Come on; tell me more about this sodding town.”

End Flashback



“Spike, are you in there?”

He broke out of his reverie when he noticed Buffy in front of him, trying to get his attention.

“I thought I lost you for a second there.”

Spike shook his head to clear his thoughts. “Sorry about that, love. I was just thinking. So, how was the date tonight?”

Buffy let out a sigh and sat down next to him. This seemed to be a pattern with them lately.

“Yet another disaster. I’ve had it, Spike. I can’t do this anymore,” she told him, burying her head in her hands.

Spike wondered if she was crying. He wished he could wrap his arms around her, but didn’t dare try.

She looked up at him after a few seconds.

He was relieved to see that her eyes were dry.

“I swear, there are no normal men out there. I think I’m gonna become a nun. They can’t date, right?”

Spike smiled and shook his head. “You don’t need to become a nun, Buffy. It has only been a few weeks. Finding the right person takes time.”

Buffy knew he was right, then wondered about something. “Spike, why did you come back here? I thought you hated this place.”

He had a feeling she would ask that eventually. “Well, this place can grow on you.”

She raised her eyebrows.

Spike figured he would have to say more than that. “I don’t know. I guess I just didn’t have anything in England anymore. My mum was ill for a while and I left a little after she passed away. I just couldn’t stand to be there after that. At least I have family here.”

“I thought you didn’t like Giles. You called him a poncy git, if I remember correctly.”

Spike laughed at her attempt of a British accent. God, this girl was adorable. “We have an understanding now. Jenny’s a great woman and I like helping out with the baby. It feels nice to be wanted. I haven’t felt that in a while.”

Buffy didn’t know what else to say.

Spike took the silence as his cue and stood up. “I guess I should head home now. You know you can call me, if you need help again.”

“Don’t worry; I don’t think I’ll be going on another date anytime soon,” she admitted.

Spike seemed a little disappointed. He didn’t like her going on dates, but that was the only time that he would be able to come over and watch the baby. The only time he would really get to see Buffy. He figured that needed to change. “Right, well, maybe we can just hang out or something. You know, whenever you want to.”

Buffy looked surprised, then gave him a smile. “I would like that. I guess I’ll see you later, then.”

Spike smiled in return and walked to the door. “That you will,” he said before leaving the house.

Buffy smiled again and watched him go. She thought about everything that had changed between her and Spike. He seemed to actually want to be around her, but she figured he liked being around Katie and was just trying to be nice. He was so sweet to her these days that she couldn’t believe this was the same guy that used to torture her in high school. She always thought Spike was very attractive, from the moment she first saw him. He managed to get even hotter as the years went by. He seemed to like kids and would probably be a good father. A thought formed in her head, but she quickly shook it away. He may have changed a lot since high school, but there was no way he would ever be interested in her.