Chapter 8

Spike pulled away and looked at Buffy, with a confused expression on his face.

“What was that for?”

She suddenly felt nervous under his stare. “It seemed like the right thing to do.”

Spike shook his head. “I don’t want you to feel sorry for me, Buffy. I didn’t tell you all that for pity.”

Buffy took a deep breath before answering him. “It wasn’t because of pity, Spike. I’ve wanted to kiss you for a while now. I just figured that you wouldn’t want me to. I never thought you actually liked me.”

Spike nodded and felt relieved that she really wanted to kiss him. “I’m sorry for everything,” he told her sincerely.

“I’m sorry, too. We both made a lot of mistakes in the past. This is our chance to start over.”

Spike nodded again and gave her a smile. “I think I can do that,” he said, then placed a soft kiss on her lips.

Buffy smiled as well when he pulled away. “So, let’s do this right. How about we go out tomorrow night? I can’t take another date from Hell, but I have a feeling that you’ll be different.”

Spike agreed, still finding it hard to believe that any of this was happening. “Well, you’re right about that. Does eight sound good to you?” he wondered.

“Sounds like a plan.”

Spike smiled and stood up. “It’s a date, then. I’ll pick you up tomorrow.”

Buffy stood up as well.

A thought suddenly occured to him. “What about Katie? Who’s going to watch her?”

She waved her hand in the air. “Don’t worry, my mom can watch her.”

Spike seemed to be okay with that answer and headed to the door. He turned back to her one more time and planted a kiss on her cheek, then graced her with another smile as he walked out of the house.

Buffy closed the door and rested her head against it. She had a feeling that it was definitely going to be a date to remember.


* * * * *


“I don’t have anything to wear,” Buffy claimed as she browsed through her clothes, feeling beyond frustrated.

“Buffy, you need to calm down. Spike won’t care what you wear. I still can’t believe you guys are actually going out. This is so great,” Willow replied, the excitement evident in her voice.

Buffy groaned and plopped down on her bed. “I don’t know, Will. If you told me a few years ago that I would end up going out with Spike, I would have probably laughed in your face. I just want this to go well. I really care about him; I think it might be more than that. He’s been really great to me and Katie these last few weeks and I just want things to work out.”

Willow nodded in understanding and went over to Buffy’s closet. She then pulled out a silk, beige dress and showed it to the agitated blonde. “What about this one?”

Buffy raised her eyebrows at the selection. “That’s the dress I wore to Prom.”

“I know that, but it would be perfect. Spike loved you in this dress.”

Buffy didn’t know about that. She hardly talked to Spike at all at Prom. She was still surprised that he went. “What if it’s too fancy? I don’t even know where we’re going.”

Willow placed the dress on Buffy’s bed. “It’s not too fancy. You will look great, and it’s not like you have anything else to wear.”

Buffy sighed and grabbed the dress. “Okay, I’ll wear it.”

Willow smiled and gave her friend a hug. “I think I should go now. I want all the details tomorrow,” she said with her resolve face.

Buffy nodded. “Thanks for the help.”

Willow flashed her friend one more smile, then left the room.

She turned her gaze back on the dress, hoping that it was a good choice.


* * * * *


Buffy finished fixing her hair when the doorbell rang. She took one more look at her reflection, then went to answer it. She was shocked when she got a look at Spike. He was actually wearing a nice suit instead of his duster. She couldn’t remember ever seeing him without it.

He gave her a soft smile.

She could definitely tell that he liked what he saw.

“You look amazing, love. Is that your Prom dress?”

Buffy was stunned that he remembered. Maybe Willow was right, after all. “Yeah, it seemed like the right choice. You look really nice.”

Spike blushed a little at the compliment, then handed her the bouquet of roses that he was holding. “These are for you.”

Buffy smiled and took the flowers from him. “They’re beautiful, I’ll be right back,” she told him, heading into the kitchen to put them in a vase. She then went back to join him, grabbing her jacket before leaving the house.

They walked over to his car in silence.

Spike opened the door for her.

Buffy wondered where this sweet guy had been hiding all of this time, but only smiled and got into the car.

Spike walked to his side. He got in as well and started the car, then took off to his destination.


* * * * *


Buffy and Spike were talking and laughing later at dinner. They were at an elegant, Italian restaurant.

She almost coughed on her water because she was laughing so hard. “I can’t believe you did that,” she said, trying to control her laughter.

Spike shrugged. “It was a dare. I’m not one to back down from a dare.”

Buffy shook her head and took another sip of water. “I still can’t believe you ran around school naked. No wonder you were kicked out.”

“I wasn’t kicked out for that. There were a lot of things I got in trouble for, but I’m not like that anymore.”

Buffy grasped his hand in hers and gave it a squeeze. “I know you’re not. I’ve seen you with Katie and I can tell how much she means to you.”

Spike held her hand tighter and gazed into her eyes. “She means as much to me as her mother does,” he responded softly.

Buffy felt touched and leaned closer to him, giving him a chaste kiss on the lips. She pulled away and saw the surprise on his face. “Thank you,” she replied.

Spike smiled at her, knowing that she was talking about more than what he said.

They got back to their dinner after that.

Buffy thought about everything that had changed between them, knowing that she finally made the right decision.