Chapter 9

Months went by and Buffy and Spike were taking things slow. Both not quite ready yet to take their relationship to the next level.

They were out walking along the beach because it was a beautiful night, and they both loved it there.

“So, you never told me why things didn’t work out between you and Angel. He finally come out of the closet?”

Buffy laughed and smacked Spike on the arm. “Sorry to disappoint, but he’s not gay. We just had too many differences. He wanted to leave and I wanted to stay. We knew that long distance relationships never worked out, so we just agreed to be friends. Of course, I don’t really know how good of friends we are. I haven’t heard from him in over a year.”

Spike grinned and put his arm around her. “Well, his loss is my gain.”

Buffy found herself blushing at the comment.

“What about the other bloke? What was his excuse?”

She shrugged. “I was with Riley for two years and I thought things were great. He just realized that he couldn’t commit to one person. The day he broke up with me was when I was going to tell him I was pregnant, but never got around to it.”

Spike raised his eyebrows. “He doesn’t know?”

Buffy shook her head. “I couldn’t tell him. I think it’s better this way.”

They continued their walk in silence.


* * * * *


They got back to the house an hour later and headed to the baby’s room.

Joyce was already asleep and they walked in the nursery to find Katie awake in her crib.

Spike went over to the child and picked her up.

She giggled a little.

He pressed a kiss to her forehead.

Buffy smiled at the display, then heard something that made her heart skip a beat.

“Dada,” Katie said.

They were both shocked.

Spike then had a huge grin on his face when he looked at Buffy. “Did you hear that?”

Buffy nodded and moved closer to them. She had tears in her eyes at Katie’s first word, and that she thought Spike was her father. It made sense since he was around her so much.

Spike tried to get her to say it again, but with no luck. He saw how tired she was getting and placed her back into her crib, then left the room with Buffy.

They didn’t say a word, until they were alone in Buffy’s room.

Spike gave Buffy a huge hug, letting her go after a few seconds. “She called me Daddy. Well, it was close enough.”

Buffy had to smile at his excitement.

His expression suddenly turned serious. “This is okay, right? You won’t get freaked out by the fact that she called me that?”

She grabbed his hand and pulled him over to her bed.

They both sat down.

Buffy took a deep breath. “I’m definitely not freaked,” she whispered, placing a tender kiss on his lips.

Spike held her closer as the kiss grew more passionate.

They pulled away when breathing became an issue and lay down on the bed.

Spike had his arms wrapped around Buffy.

She rested her head against his chest.

It didn't take them long to fall into a peaceful sleep.


* * * * *


Buffy was up making breakfast the next morning. Her mother left for the gallery early and Spike was still asleep. She knew he was finally awake when she heard someone come down the stairs, then wrap their arms around her waist.

“Morning, love,” he purred in her ear.

Buffy felt shivers down her spine. She turned in his arms and gave him a kiss. “Morning, did you sleep well?”

He nodded. “Best sleep I’ve ever had. It was even better because you were there.”

Buffy blushed a little, even though she should have been used to his comments by now. It was still really good to hear. She was about to reply, when someone knocked on the back door. Buffy was going to say it was open, but didn’t get a chance.

Xander just let himself in and graced her with a smile. “Hey, Buffster. Something smells good.”

Buffy rolled her eyes. “Did your nose carry you all the way over here?”

Xander shrugged. “It could have, but I actually need to borrow your boyfriend for a second.”

Spike raised his eyebrows.

“Oh, I guess you can have him. As long as you promise to bring him back in one piece.”

Xander agreed and grabbed Spike’s arm, pulling him outside. He closed the door behind them and looked at Spike, suddenly more serious.

“So, what do you want?”

Xander took a deep breath to calm his nerves. “Okay, I guess I should just say it. Spike, I’m getting married,” he explained in a rush.

That was the last thing Spike expected to hear. “Are you serious? You’ve only known Anya for a month. It is Anya, right?”

Xander nodded and couldn’t help the smile that formed on his face. “I know I haven’t known her that long, but it’s enough for me. She’s amazing, man. I’ve never met anyone like her before. I wanted you to be the first one I told because whether you believe it or not, your opinion means a lot to me.”

Spike was surprised and felt a little touched at what his friend said. “Thanks, that means a lot. I’m happy for you, Xander. If this is what you really want, you know I’ll support you.”

Xander sighed in relief and gave him a pat on the back. “I knew I could count on you. Now, I have a favor to ask. I was wondering if you would like to be my best man.”

Spike smiled. “Yeah, you can count on it.”

Xander smiled in return. “Great, I should get back to Anya now. Oh, she wants Buffy to be her maid of honor. You think you can ask her for me? I’m already running late as it is.”

“Sure, I’ll tell her. Congratulations again, mate.”

Xander gave Spike a quick hug, then got into his car and drove away.

Spike couldn’t believe that his friend was getting married. Life was just full of surprises. He then headed back into the house.