Author's Chapter Notes:
A few have asked if this is based on 'The Wedding Planner' - no, it's not, I merely got the idea of Buffy's job because I love that movie :-) I was going to update Daughter of Darkness today, but I'll make sure and get you all an update of that one tomorrow. Thanks for reviewing!
Chapter 4 – The Tables Turn


Walking into her house later that night, Buffy sighed as she threw her purse onto the kitchen counter, smiling at the sounds coming from the other room. Quickly walking through the house, she couldn’t help but giggle at the sight in front of her.

“Has he been any trouble?” she asked, smiling when her boyfriend jumped and spun around to face her.

“Sorry, Buff. Didn’t hear you.”

“That’s alright,” she said, giving him a kiss on the cheek as she walked by, crouching in front of the bouncy seat on the floor. “How’s my Jordan?” she asked, tickling the baby’s feet, giggling when his little mouth formed an ‘O’ as he excitedly kicked his legs.

“He’s excited Mommy’s home,” Xander said, rubbing her shoulder.

“I am, too,” Buffy said, standing up and rubbing her eyes tiredly.

“Long day?”

“You have no idea,” she said, unbuckling the little boy and lifting him into her arms.

“What happened?” Xander asked, walking into the kitchen and taking a plate of food out of the oven.

“I think I’m overworked,” Buffy said, walking over to the table and sitting down, smiling gratefully at him when he set the food in front of her. “I swear, my stress level is entering the red zone.”

“No particular reason?” he asked, sitting down next to her, rubbing her shoulder in a comforting gesture.

“Just taking on too much,” she said, taking a bite of chicken, rocking the baby back and forth as she ate.

“Take a few weeks off.”

“You know I can’t do that,” Buffy said, shaking her head. “I think I just landed this huge account and with the percentage I’ll get, it will practically pay for Jordan’s college bills.”

“Buffy, he’s only three months old. You’ll have plenty more weddings to plan between now and then and I’ve already told you if you ever need help-”

“I’m not taking money from you, Xander,” she said with a sigh. “You know that. It’s bad enough I have to depend on you to pick him up from daycare everyday.”

“You know I don’t care about that,” he said, standing up and walking over to the counter, filling up a bottle for the baby. “Why don’t you let me feed him?” he said, taking the baby from Buffy as she finished her dinner.

“See?” she said, pointing at him as if it would prove her point. “I depend on you too much as it is.”

“Buffy, I’m giving your baby a bottle. I don’t think this qualifies as needing an ‘IOU’.”

“It’s the principle,” she muttered, leaning back against her chair, letting her eyes close in exhaustion.

“Tell you what- why don’t I get little Jordan here ready for night-night,” he said, his voice softening as he spoke to the baby. “And you grab a nap on the couch?”

“It’s only seven thirty,” Buffy protested meekly.

“What’s your point? I go to sleep on the jobsite everyday,” he said, smiling when Buffy giggled.

“Okay… I’ll rest,” she said, looking at him in warning. “But no napping for me or I’ll never get to sleep tonight.”

“Whatever you say, Chief,” Xander replied, mock-saluting her.

Buffy watched as Xander carried the baby toward the hallway, talking to him the entire time. “You really lucked out, Summers,” she murmured, climbing to her feet and stretching her tired muscles before walking into the living room. Halfway to the couch, she stopped when she heard the doorbell ring. “I’ll get it,” she called softly, kicking off her high heels as she walked toward the front door, her hands coming up to loosen the bun from its tight hold.

Shaking out her hair as she opened the door, Buffy froze when she saw Spike standing on the other side. Hastily looking over her shoulder, she left the house, pulling the door shut behind her.

“What are you doing here?” she whispered quietly, her hand never leaving the doorknob in case she felt the need to make a quick escape. “Scratch that – how the hell do you know where I live?” she hissed, seeing him smile in amusement.

“You’re in the book, love.”

Pouting slightly at the lack of her own common sense, Buffy nervously ran a hand through her hair. “You can’t be here.”

Spike raised an eyebrow, looking at the door before turning his gaze back to Buffy, tilting his head thoughtfully. “Someone in there you don’t want me to meet?”

“Try the opposite,” she said raising an eyebrow as she crossed her arms over her chest.

“Aah, so you’re keeping me a secret, then, baby?” he asked, biting his lip as he looked her up and down.

“You bet your ass I am,” she said, tightening her jaw when he smirked at her.

“Moving on already?” he asked in a condescending tone.

“Says the man who has a fiancée,” Buffy replied, rolling her eyes. “A fiancée whose wedding I’m planning, no less. Were you with her when you were with me, Spike?”

“No,” he said, taking a deep breath. “I was free and clear that night, Goldilocks. You?” he asked, his voice taking on a harder edge.

“I wasn’t seeing anyone,” she admitted, avoiding his gaze.

“But you are now?” he clarified.

“Yes,” she said, looking up at him after a moment. “I am now.”

“And he’s inside?” Spike asked in amusement, trying to look through the windows in the door. “I’d like to meet him.”

“Are you insane?” Buffy asked, her eyes widening comically.

“Seems only fair, love,” he continued with a slight smile. “You met my significant other… My turn.”

“You’re not meeting him,” Buffy said, breathing heavily as she tightened her hold on the doorknob.

“Brave man.”

“What’re you talking about?” she asked warily, trying to pretend as if the way he was looking at her wasn’t doing things to her.

“Letting his woman out of his sight for this long.”

“I’m not ‘his woman’,” she said irritably.

Spike smiled, stepping forward and pressing his hands to the door on each side of her head. “That right?”

“That’s not an invitation,” she said, pushing at his chest, her eyes widening when his arms wrapped around her waist. “What the hell are you doing?” she asked, hating the breathless quality of her voice as she leaned away from him. “You have a girlfriend!”

“Your point?”

Buffy’s eyes widened before she drew back her hand to slap him, struggling when he grabbed her wrist in a firm grip.

“I’m kidding, Buffy,” he said with a slight chuckle, letting go of her and stepping back. “It’s just fun to see your eyes bug out when you hear something like that.”

Narrowing her eyes in response, Buffy’s fists clenched at her sides. “You are such an asshole,” she said, breathing heavily. “What the hell are you doing here, anyway?”

Watching as he leaned down, Buffy noticed the plastic bag leaning against the side of the house for the first time, catching it when he threw it at her. Opening it up, she couldn’t help the smile that pulled at her lips when she saw her shirt inside.

“You’re not going to be one of those creepy stalker guys who keeps souvenirs of the women he sleeps with?”

“I’ve had it for a year, love,” he said with a smile. “I think I’ve fulfilled the stalker quota.”

Closing the bag, Buffy grudgingly looked up at him. “Thank you,” she muttered, almost hoping that he didn’t hear her.

He nodded and turned, beginning to walk away.

“That was it?” Buffy asked in disbelief. “That was the entire point of this little visit?”

Spike turned around again to face her, raising an eyebrow. “Not like I could’ve brought that with me when Anya’s around,” he said, seeing Buffy nod in acceptance. Looking at the house, he tilted his head for a moment. And I wanted to make sure you’re okay.

“You’re doing well for yourself,” he said, rubbing the back of his neck.

Turning around to look behind her, Buffy tried to suppress the shiver that threatened to race through her body when she felt his eyes on her. “Yeah,” she murmured with a slight nod. “I am.”

“Glad to see it,” he said before nodding at her. “Goodnight, Buffy.”

Tell him… tell him he has a child… you won’t get a better opportunity than this…

“Goodnight, Spike,” she said in a strained voice, closing her eyes and leaning against the door when he walked away.






Thanks so much to: shelly, Franchesca, Cynthia, Suzee, spufette, klylu, Noelle, Cordykitten, caatje, DaniD, Pam S., hotlipedjen, gotkona, kim, jennybean, jt, BuffyandSpikeForever, jenny, spikestheman, demona424, mjspuff, phantomwriter & baby spikes for reviewing!