Author's Chapter Notes:
I know some people think this is moving a little fast, but it's not designed to be one of my longer fics. I hope you're still liking it!
Chapter 6 – Three’s a Crowd, Four’s a Circus


Buffy watched with mixed feelings as Spike picked their son up out of the car-seat, quietly shushing him when he began fidgeting and moving around.

“Shh… shhh… It’s okay, poppet, it’s your daddy.”

Buffy looked at the floor, biting her lip to fight the tears in her eyes.

“What’s his name?” he asked, looking up in time to see Buffy wipe her cheeks.

“Jordan,” she said in a choked voice. “His name is Jordan.”

Spike smiled, looking down at his son, tenderly touching the tiny fists and nose, almost reassuring himself that he was real.

Buffy felt that weighing pressure against her chest that seemed to accompany a life-changing experience. She knew that nothing would ever be the same again. She and Spike would forever be linked by the tiny bundle in his arms – he would be in her life forever.

“A little unnerved, Goldilocks?” he asked with a slight tilt of his head.

“I never would’ve kept him from you,” she said, raising her eyes to his. “But I didn’t know who you were or where to find you and I just…”

“And last night?” Spike asked, raising an eyebrow in her direction.

“You caught me off guard,” she said with a nervous smile. “Like you did today.”

“Guess this changes a few things, huh?” he asked, taking in a deep breath as he gave her a hopeful look.

“What’re you going to tell Anya?” she asked, seeing his face go blank.

“God, Anya… I forgot…”

“You forgot your fiancée?” she asked gently, trying to keep her voice low, not wanting to wake Jordan.

Spike didn’t have a chance to answer as the door opened, revealing the woman in question. “Anya!” Spike said in surprise, looking at the baby in his arms before raising his eyes to his fiancée, trying not to let it be known how panicked he was. “What are you doing here, love?”

Seeing Buffy practically cringe as he called the other woman ‘love’, Spike nearly winced, feeling as if he was being unfaithful to a woman he’d only spent a few hours with, rather than a woman he was engaged to.

“I had an appointment with Buffy,” Anya said, looking at the baby with a puzzled expression on her face. “Her receptionist told me to enter.”

“I’m going to kill Harmony,” Buffy muttered under her breath before her eyes widened in surprise. Looking up at Spike, she studied him for a moment, realizing that he’d gone out of his way to make an excuse to see her. He could’ve just as easily sent the check for the down payment with Anya. Or mailed it. He’d chosen to see her. The knowledge shook her as she looked away.

“Whose baby?” Anya asked, looking back and forth between the two, shaking Buffy from her thoughts.

Hazarding a glance at Spike, she swallowed heavily before plastering a smile on her face. “He’s mine,” she said, walking over and taking the baby from Spike, noticing the reluctance on his face as he let go.

“I see,” Anya replied, still slightly puzzled. “And why were you holding him?” she asked Spike.

“I love kids, pet- you know that.”

Buffy quickly stepped forward, not sure why she felt the need to stop a potential fight before it started. “Anya, this is my son Jordan.”

Spike frowned, feeling his emotions warring inside of him. Hearing Buffy refer to their son as hers and hers only, he felt his stomach drop. If Anya was going to be in his life, she deserved to know everything. “Ahn, I-”

“Not exactly like Fort Knox getting in here.”

Everyone turned toward the voice at the door. Buffy inhaled sharply, seeing Xander standing there, her eyes widening as she briefly glanced at Spike before walking toward her boyfriend.

Spike’s brow furrowed as he watched the man approach, bending down to leave a soft kiss on Buffy’s lips. He found himself looking away, clenching his jaw at the sight.

“Xander, what’re you doing here?” Buffy asked quietly, shifting the baby slightly in her arms.

“Worked it out so I could take the day off. The site’s well enough off the ground- they don’t need me today. Figured you’d need someone to take the little guy off your hands,” he said, picking up Jordan, glancing at the people in the room. “Appointments and whatnot.”

Buffy saw Spike’s eyes flashing as he watched Xander. Quickly turning to Anya, she smiled at the other woman.

“Anya Jenkins and Spike Crawford, meet Xander Harris,” she said, seeing Anya and Xander talk pleasantly for a moment as her eyes settled on Spike. Seeing something in his gaze, she quickly looked away, taking a deep breath as she smiled at Anya. “Was there anything in particular you needed today?”

“I just wanted to let you know that I’ll be taking the Hell’s Bells package.”

How appropriate, Buffy thought, keeping her smile firmly in place.

“We didn’t decide on that, Anya,” Spike said in a tight voice, his gaze turning back to Xander and the baby.

“We didn’t have to. I decided. So, Buffy, when can we start planning?” she replied, completely ignoring her fiancé.

“Why don’t you go outside and schedule an appointment with Harmony,” Buffy said, slipping into her professional role, guiding the other woman toward the door. “I have several open times this week when we can begin,” she continued, hating the tightening in her stomach as she glanced at Spike, feeling pained with the knowledge that she would be planning his wedding to another woman.

Shaking her head, she quickly reminded herself that she had a boyfriend whom she’d been seeing for well over a month – she didn’t need to be lusting or even thinking about other men. Even if said man was the father of her child.

Clearing her throat, she turned to Xander, “Willow wants to see Jordan, honey, if you wouldn’t mind taking him down there before you leave.”

“No problem,” Xander said, buckling the baby into his car-seat and picking it up with the diaper bag. “We’ll see you tonight,” he continued, pressing a kiss to Buffy’s cheek before walking out the door, making idle chitchat with Anya as she walked into the reception area, leaving Spike and Buffy standing in the office, each looking at the floor before glancing at each other.

Stepping forward and grabbing her arm, Spike pulled her out of the eye-line of the door, his eyes never leaving hers. Seeing how close her lips were to his, he resisted everything inside of him that was telling him to kiss her. Glancing at the door to ensure their privacy, he spoke quietly, “Have lunch with me today.”

“Spike, I can’t-”

“We’re going to have this out, one way or another, Buffy,” he said softly, his eyes searching her face.

Looking toward the door for a moment, she hesitantly nodded. “There’s a coffee shop on Maple,” she whispered, looking into his eyes. “Meet me there in two hours… Don’t be late.”

Spike nodded, leaning down to brush a gentle kiss to her cheek, feeling a moderate amount of satisfaction when she closed her eyes, seemingly taking more pleasure out of his kiss than the one the whelp had given her.

“See you then, love.”







Thanks so much to: DaniD, demona424, spuffette, Franchesca, NEO_trinityknot, Tuesday, Sharon, Brittany, spikestheman, Whitelighter354, baby spikes, Devin, Juanita, Cordykitten, caatje, bluebird, kim, tina, Dee, BuffyandSpikeForever, Melissa g, shelly, willowmouse, Olivia-luv, mjspuff, Seraiza, M, phantomwriter & Crystal Pegasus for reviewing!