Epilogue


”Morning, baby.” Spike gave Buffy a kiss before sitting down next to her at the kitchen table. “What’re you doing up so early?”

“I needed to pee, and then I had to get something to eat.” Buffy explained. Spike looked at her plate where her peanut butter and whipped cream sandwich shared the space with gummy bears.

“As long as I don’t have to eat it.” He said and Buffy playfully slapped him on the arm.

“You shouldn’t tease me, you know. This is all your fault.” She complained.

“You had a thing or two to do with it, if I remember correctly.” Spike observed.

“Yeah, well maybe I did, but if you hadn’t forgotten...”

“We wouldn’t have this.” Spike cut her off, running his hand over her large stomach. Even now, after four pregnancies and four kids, he was still amazed with the way her body changed.

“Sorry.” Buffy said. “You know I want this, it’s just... I want it over with already.” She forced herself off the chair to place the now empty plate in the sink. “I’m sick of looking like a stranded whale.”

“You don’t look like a whale, you look absolutely beautiful.” Spike corrected.

“You’re only saying that cause you wanna make me feel better.” Buffy complained.

“Is it working?”

“A little. Thank you.” Buffy smiled at her husband.

“It’s what I’m here for.” He said.

“Did the kids get off OK?” Buffy asked and Spike nodded.

“Yeah, Andy was gonna drop everyone off. You know how he jumps at every chance to drive.” Spike said.

Andy had turned sixteen earlier that year and gotten his drivers license. Buffy was grateful to have another driver beside herself and Spike in the house, especially now.

“You remembered to make them lunch?” She asked and Spike gave her a look.

“I do know how to take care of our kids, you know.” He said sarcastically.

“I know, I know. I just worry.” Buffy replied.

“I know you do, but you don’t have to.” Spike assured her. “You just focus on yourself and these little ones, and I’ll focus on the rest.” Buffy smiled at him. She was so lucky.

After the events at the Sunnydale crater, more than thirteen years earlier, Spike had mover back into the mansion. A couple of months later, Willow and Xander had moved out to get an apartment of their own. Mostly because they wanted some more privacy, but also to give the new little family more space, since Buffy had discovered she was pregnant.

They had married in August, and Dawn had been born in February the following year. Andy had been excited to have a little sister, and had without hesitation accepted Spike as his new dad. In short, everything was going great.

When Dawn was two, William had arrived and during the next four years two more additions were made, Liam and Faith.

Buffy was now a fully qualified counselor at the school Andy went to. He hadn’t liked the fact that his mom was going to work at his school at first, but had gotten used to it.

When Andy was eight, they had told him about his biological parents. He had accepted everything they said, and Dawn and Andrew had special places in his heart, but Buffy and Spike were his parents.

After Faith was born, Buffy and Spike had decided that it was enough. Five kids kept them busy at most hours of the day and night, and Buffy was almost forty. She had started taking birthcontrol pills, and they worked fine. But a few months earlier, her doctor had adviced her to stop taking the pills, since the risk of having blod clots increased the older you got. She had done as she was told, and two months later they had realized that the one time they had forgotten to use a condom had payed off.

Now they were expecting not only their sixth, but their seventh child as well. Twin pregnancies weren’t very usual, and neither Buffy nor Spike had twins in the family.

“Baby, you OK?” Spike asked, pulling Buffy from her walk down memory lane.

“Yeah, just thinking.” She replied.

“I should really get to work.” Spike said, finishing off his coffee. “Your doctors appointment is at four, right?” Buffy nodded. “OK. I’ll pick you up a quarter to, then. Rupes’ll be here to watch the kids?”

“Yeah, he’ll be here.” Buffy said.

Giles was still living with them, he wanted to be close to his ‘grandchildren’. Willow and Xander were living a few blocks away from the mansion with their three kids, Anya, 8, Tara, 5 and Noah, 2.

“The doctor said that they might start the labor if nothing had changed today, right?” Spike asked.

“Yeah, they did. I don’t know if I want to do that, I kinda want it all natural you know?” Buffy said. Her due date had been the previous Thursday, and her doctor had said that going past the due dat with twins was very unusual.

“You think about it, OK?” Spike said, giving Buffy a kiss and heading for the door.

“I don’t think I have to.” Buffy said, and Spike turned halfway to the door.

“What do you mean?” He asked.

“I mean that I think it just started.” She replied.

“You mean the contractions have started?” Spike asked, not fully grasping the situation.

“Yeah, and they’re close.” Buffy gasped, grabbing the counter top as another contraction hit.

“Let’s go then.” Spike said, putting his arm around Buffy’s waist to help her.

“We have to call Giles first, and Willow and Xander, and someone has to pick up the kids.” Buffy ramlbed.

“We’ll call Giles from the hospital, he’ll take care of everything.” Spike assured her, leading her to the garage.

*****

“How are you doing, baby?” Spike asked, entering Buffy’s hospital room after talking to Giles. He had promised to let Willow and Xander know and to bring the kids to the hospital with him.

“Oh, just great.” Buffy replied sarcastically. “You try doing this.”

“That’s just the pain talking.” The nurse that were monitoring the contractions said.

“How’re we doing on the painkillers?” Spike asked jokingly.

“They haven’t kicked in yet.” The nurse replied at the same time as the Buffy’s doctor came into the room.

“Hello all.” He greeted. “How’s everything going?”

“Everything’s fine, doctor Adams.” The nurse said. “The babies are both head down, so there shouldn’t be any problem. The spinal anaesthesia was admitted ten minutes ago.”

“Then let’s get this party started.” The doctor said, sitting down at the foot of the bed. “I want you to push at the next contraction, OK?” Buffy nodded and Spike took her hand in his, giving her all the support he could.

*****

“Giles, would you please stop pacing?” Willow complained. They had been in the waiting room for almost two hours, and Giles had been waling around the entire time. “It’s not gonna go any faster.”

“I know that.” Giles replied annoyed. “I’m just nervous.”

“Everything will be fine, Giles.” Xander assured him. “Now, would you please sit down, you’re making the kids nervous too.”

Giles reluctantly sat down, only to jump up again seconds later when Spike came into the waiting room, two babies in his arms.

“Hey guys. I want you to meet Allissa Joyce and Brianna Anne.” He said, and everyone got up to look at the twins.

“They’re so little.” Faith observed.

“All babies are little when they’re born, you were too.” Willow said.

“Nu-uh, I was never that little.” Faith objected and all the adults laughed.

“Sure you were, kiddo.” Xander said. “And they will get bigger soon, and you can play with them.”

“I can?” Faith asked, looking up at her dad.

“Course you can.” Spike replied. “But right now, I think these little ones need some rest, and so does Buffy.”

“I’ll take the kids home, and we’ll be back to visit in the morning.” Giles said.

“Thanks Rupes.” Spike said gratefully.

“Don’t mention it.” Giles replied, ushering the kids out of the waiting room. Willow and Xander followed with their kids, waving goodbye.

Spike went back into the room Buffy had been taken to for the night, and a nurse helped him to put the girls down. With his hands empty, he sat down on the edge of Buffy’s bed, taking her hand in his.

“How you doing?” He asked.

“Tired.” Buffy replied sleepily.

“Then get some sleep.” Spike said, giving her a kiss on the forehead before taking a seat in the chair next to the bed instead.

“Can’t you stay here with me?” Buffy asked, moving over in the bed to make room for him. Spike willingly obliged.

“That better?” He asked, and Buffy nodded, curling up close to him.

“I’m glad you came back.” She mumbled.

“What do you mean?” He asked.

“All those years ago.” Buffy explained. “I’m glad you came back.”

“So am I.”