Author's Chapter Notes:
This chapter is just some fluff to finally get our couple together. (Only 4 more chapters left!!)
Life 10 – Awake In A Dream

Never thought that one day
You'd be come a part of my life
Still you were always with me
When I lay my head down at night
Could you really be here with me
And has my wish come true tonight


Cuz now, now it seems
I'm wide awake in this dream
And I'd do, I'd do anything
To stay here forever (ah)
And if this is a dream
I'm not going to wake up (oh)
But if I'm awake, I won't close my eyes again

Yeah, yeah

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

I lay in bed the next Wednesday, just crying my eyes out. I hadn’t left my room in over a week now, and no one knows why, not even Dawn but they all have their suspicions. The morning after Ted left I went back into the shower and scrubbed myself until most of my wounds were flowing fresh blood. Feeling weak, I bandaged them up, and grabbed the rattiest looking outfit I owned, and then I sat in front of my window crying.

Mom came in then and demanded to know where Ted was. “How the fuck do I know, Mom?” I asked, not angry, not even sad, just very numb and surreal.

“Don’t use that language with me, young lady. He came home last night with me, but then I had an emergency and left. You weren’t home but he said he’d wait for you. Then I come home; you’re in bed and Ted’s missing. So, where did he leave?” Joyce Summers looked beyond angry and the worst part was that most of her anger seemed to be directed at me.

Getting angry myself, I pushed away from the chair and stared at her, disbelief and anger written all over my face. “Open your goddamn eyes mom! Where the hell do you think all these bruises come from? Why do you hear Dawnie crying in the middle of the night? Why do you think Dawn and me leave 75% of the time and spend the night at our friend’s? Oh yeah, I forgot, didn’t I? You know, you just don’t give a flying fuck about your daughter’s and what happens to them. Who cares if they’re raped all the time, beat till they bled and not to mention stabbed and cut up, so long as you have your precious Ted! God you really are one selfish bitch! The only reason I stayed here was because I was scared that if I took Dawnie and ran he would start on you. You want to know what I think now, huh? I hope to fucking hell he does. Maybe then you’ll know why I can’t stand the sight of your cheerful face in the morning, or hate you every minute of every day for your unmarred perfect fucking skin!”

Mom stood there and was completely shellshocked for a moment before bursting into tears and running from the room. I sighed and sank to my bed, crying anew.

Now, on Wednesday, I still haven’t seen her, and Dawn keeps asking what happened but I just can’t talk about it. Not yet. Maybe someday, when I don’t feel so dirty and gross.

When Dawn went to see Dad he berated her with pretty much the same questions, and she came clean, on everything. Including the molestations, and he made a promise to her that everything would change. Everything would be better, he would move back and we could live with him or something. He’d fix this. He tried going to the cops, but without a Ted to be found, and with all traces of evidence washed from Dawn, and me not coming out of my room, they couldn’t actually charge him with anything.

On Monday of the next week, I woke up and Dawn was sitting beside my bed, holding a cup of hot cocoa, and a slice of toast with the yummy apricot jam spread on top. “So here’s the deal: You’ve been moping and sulking for too long, and from this point on you are going back to school and putting whatever happened behind you. If I’m right, then it was so not your fault and beating yourself up and crying all the time isn’t helping the healing process.”

I smiled weakly at Dawn and ate my breakfast silently, before she all but dragged me from my bed and threw me in the bathroom with a simple: Get ready or else threat.

When I came downstairs all dressed and ready, both mom and Dawn applauded, but when I glared at Mom she quickly left to go onto the back porch.

I made the first step, and when I entered school that day everything had changed. The first sign of change I noticed was Angel and Drusilla walking past, Angel simply saying, “We’re over, Goldie.” I shrugged and walked to my locker. As I was putting my books in I stopped and finally realized that yes, Drusilla was holding Angel’s hand, and yes they were very much together. Which means that Spike and Drusilla were very much not. Grinning for the first time in a week, I skipped off to the library.

Willow let out a huge eep! when she seen me and flung her arms around me. I didn’t even flinch when she squeezed one of my cuts too tightly. I was just glad to finally be back with my friends. I took turns being passed around for everyone to have a hug, then when I got to Giles he whispered into my hair so no one else could hear: “He’s all yours, Buffy, don’t blow it.” I blushed when we pulled back and he said louder, “It’s so good to finally have you back, Buffy. Good Lord, we’ve all missed you.”

I smiled at them, but when Xander started to ask where I was, Willow quickly shot him a look but my visible flinch and very audible whimper. I so was not ready to tell any of them yet. Hell, I wasn’t ready to tell myself that.

Willow hooked arms with me and together we left to go to our first class, which was the only one we had together: PE. Xander and Oz were also in our class, and Cordy if she wasn’t ‘sick’ but they said they’d meet us there. “So, Buffy, Spike’s single now… what are you going to do about it?”

“Hopefully make him un-single with a certain blonde.”

Willow’s nose wrinkled, “Eww, Harmony?”

I swatted her arm and we both laughed and I realized that Dawn was right. I did need out of that bedroom, which was slowly driving me to insanity.

As we walked into the class, I was suddenly jerked back out with a hand over my mouth and dragged into the nearest janitor closet. After he turned the light on and I had officially bitten his hand, I realized it was Spike. “What the fuck!?! Bad thing to do to me, moron. God, should be glad I didn’t kick you in your balls, it was my next target.”

He winced and then mumbled a sorry. “I just needed to talk to you.”

“A simple, ‘psst, hey Summers’ wouldn’t have sufficed?” I glared at him, my elation that it was Spike kidnapping me was put to the back burner.

Spike held his hands up in surrender. “Psst, hey Summers?” he asked, grinning at me crookedly.

“What do you want, Spike? And make it quick, I’m late for PE.” Even as I said that, I knew that I was so much better right where I was. I hated PE for all its shorts and tee shirts and violence. It wasn’t the class that made me want to jump up and down in joy.

“Well…” he suddenly looked nervous and I just noticed that he had a bag in his hands. Also, there was a certain purple jewelry box that I could just make out in the bag. “See, the thing is, I broke up with Drusilla.”

I mumbled, “Finally,” and his head snapped up.

“What was that?”

“Oh, nothing. Continue. You broke up with Vampirella.”

He grinned and then I heard a whispered, “Fuck this,” before I was in his arms and his lips were against mine in a heated kiss, which I immediately returned, wrapping my arms around his neck, my hands tangling in his curls.

When he needed breath, he pulled away, but I didn’t let him go far and he rested his head against mine. “That was a different twist,” I whispered and he laughed.

“I know. Sorry about that, I just really wanted to kiss you. For basically the last, well, all of our lives.”

“Took you long enough, dork.” He grinned and kissed me again, before I heard a “Uh-hmm,” coming from beside us. Grinning sheepishly, we turned to face Willow, Xander, and Oz all standing there with identical smirks on their faces.

”Oy, you lot, don’t you have some class to be?” Spike asked, glaring mockingly.

Willow nodded and pointed across the hall, “But we’re missing a team player.”

Suddenly I remembered the scars on my arms and legs and I shook my head, profusely, glaring angrily at the gym doors. “I can’t go in there. I’m sorry.”

Spike looked down at me and then squeezed my arm. I didn’t wince at that, but when he put pressure on my stomach I let out a gasp of pain. Staring at me in concern, he dropped to his knees in front of me and pulled my shirt up, exposing the angry red scars still highly visible on my stomach.

Turning away, I pushed his hands away, and a stray tear fell onto his cheek, from my eyes. Suddenly the walls were closing in on me and I knew I had to leave, so I ran, and heard them coming behind me. I didn’t stop though, just kept going until I hit the fresh air, then I dropped to my knees and sobbed. Spike caught up to me first and wrapped his arms around me.

I left early, Spike coming with me, and we drove to my house. Sobbing when I noticed the telltale red corvette in the driveway I buried my face into his shoulder, and he held me as I cried. Spike told me to wait there and then he climbed the tree leading to my window, and jumped in. I watched openmouthed for about 10 minutes before I seen Spike coming back out with two duffel bags, one mine, one Dawn’s, and he climbed back down the tree.

Coming over to the car, he threw the bags at me and told me to see if he missed anything. I looked into Dawn’s first and smiled as he even remembered her parrot Becko and then when I looked into mine I laughed out loud. He just had to pack all of my ‘sexy’ underwear. Even if he did remember to get some of the turtlenecks and even some nicer shirts and pants, and my make up kit, my toothbrush, and my pig Mr. Gordo, he had to bring the sexy underwear.

Grinning he slid in beside me, and wrapped his arms around me. “You’re not going back there. I can’t let you. So, you can come to my house, and Dawn can go to Janice’s.” When I opened my mouth to say something, he put his finger there and laughed, “You can stay in the guest room.”

I smiled at him, bringing his head down for a kiss, whispering against his lips, “Thank you, William.”