William stared at the door in front of him in fear, wanting nothing more than to turn and bolt. "Remind me again why I agreed to this?"

"Because I had your cock in my mouth at the time," Buffy replied perkily.

"Oh. Right. Now I remember." William trembled for a second as the memory came rushing back.

"Go inside, you big baby," Buffy said. "You're just getting your hair done, not having a limb amputated."

"I…"

"I'll let you spank me again."

"Right then," William said, pushing open the door. "Stylist it is."

Buffy rolled her eyes. Men were so damn easy.

"Buffy! Cupcake!" exclaimed a man wearing what William was sure was the brightest green suit he had ever seen as he ran up to the pair, arms outstretched. He embraced Buffy, the two of them air kissing beside each cheek.

"Oh, and this must be William," the man said. "You were right, honey, he is completely scrumptious."

Buffy giggled. "Isn't he? William, this is Lorne, my stylist."

"Pleasure to meet you," William said.

"And polite, too!" Lorne said, shaking William's hand. "Why oh why are all the good ones straight?"

"And here I thought they were all gay," Buffy replied with a smirk.

"Only the truly magnificent ones," Lorne said. "Like moi." He clapped his hands. "So, what did we have in mind for William today?"

"I was hoping maybe we could discuss it," Buffy said, "I have some ideas, but I'm not sure. I wanted your advice."

"I don't have any say in this, do I?" William asked.

"No," Buffy and Lorne replied in unison, ignoring William's whimper.

Lorne reached out and started inspecting William's hair, a serious look now on his face. "It's got potential. These curls are going to give us some trouble, but I am a miracle worker, as you know, and I have no doubt that I'll be able to make them be nothing but an asset. How do you feel about some color?"

"Color?" William asked, swallowing.

Buffy and Lorne both ignored him again. "I was thinking about it," Buffy said. "Maybe a little lighter?"

"William, go have a seat in that chair right over there while your sweetie pie and I explore color choices," Lorne said, pointing. William sighed, but did it anyway, knowing there was no way he was going to convince both of them to just let him go.

He could see Buffy and Lorne reflected in the mirror in front of him, huddled over a stack of fashion magazines discussing what to do to his head as if it were as important as the Invasion of Normandy. William attention moved to his own reflection, and he frowned at what he saw. He didn't really think much could be done about him, but he supposed he was willing to let Buffy try.

Then a new fear entered his mind and he almost panicked. What if Buffy and Lorne did whatever makeover they were cooking up behind him and Buffy saw how it didn't make him look any better? What if she'd only been putting up with him for the time being because she thought she could make him attractive?

Suddenly, Lorne was up and on his way to the back. "Where's he going?" William asked as Buffy walked over to him.

"To mix up the stuff for your hair. We're gonna bleach it."

William blanched. "You're going to what?"

"Not all of it. Just the tips," Buffy said, patting his shoulder. "Lorne and I agree it'll look damn sexy on you."

"Isn't that a little…extreme? And I don't think my mother would like it."

"If you don't like it, I'll tell Lorne to fill the color back in, okay?" Buffy said. "But do this for me? Please?" She gave him her sexiest pout.

William sighed, knowing he couldn't resist that lip of hers. Apparently she knew it, too… "Fine. But if I hate it, it's going back to normal."

Buffy's pout immediately changed into a smile. "Great!" She kissed his cheek. "You're going to look hot, Will. I promise."

"I doubt it," William grumbled. "Unless Lorne's back there mixing some magic potion that's going to turn me into an entirely different person."

"Hey. Would you knock that off?" Buffy said. She gestured towards the mirror. "Look at yourself. Can't you see what you are?"

"A complete loser?"

"Stop it! Dammit, William, you've got to have some confidence in yourself. I can't have all of it for both of us, okay?" Buffy said. "You're not a loser. You're a kind, smart, handsome man."

"And might I add just plain tasty?" Lorne announced walking back into the room. "If I didn't think our little Buffykins would put me in a world of hurting, I'd be all over you like frosting on a cupcake."

William blushed bright red, starting down at his hands.

Buffy patted William on the shoulder. "Lorne's really good at this. I was thrilled to find him when I moved here. I was afraid my hair would totally suffer once I left L.A,"

"As if I'd allow that to happen to someone with hair as gorgeous as this," Lorne said, running a hand over Buffy's head. "Your girlfriend's got amazing hair, William."

"I know," William said, his tone becoming almost reverent for a moment. Buffy realized then that it was something he'd already noticed about her, a trait he'd secretly admired. She'd always assumed men noticed her obvious body parts, but her hair? Aside from when she flipped it, how much attention did they give it?

The look William was giving her right now was telling her that he'd given it quite a bit.

Lorne set down the bowl of dye he'd mixed in the back, "Okay, we're going to give you a little trim before I start with the color. And then I'll teach you what to do with these curls of yours, honey cakes."

William nodded, knowing even if he tried to argue, Buffy would just give him that pout, and he'd be agreeing to anything.

"Great!" Lorne exclaimed with a smile. "Let's get this show on the road."

*** *** ***

"What do you think, lemon drop? Aren't I a miracle worker?"

William stared at himself in the mirror, running his hand through his hair. It was shorter, though not too much, and Lorne had used some sort of gel to "add definition to the curl." About two inches from the tips of his hair were bleached blond, and he found that, surprisingly enough, he liked it. "It looks good," he said.

Lorne grinned. "And how about you, cupcake? Do you approve of your man's new look."

Buffy wrapped her arms around William's waist from behind, kissing his shoulder. "Oh yeah. You did an amazing job, Lorne."

"Well, I am the best," Lorne replied. He pulled a bag off the counter, handing it to William. "This is shampoo, conditioner, and styling gel. Style it like I showed you, and get Buffy to help you if need be. Don't be a baby about it. Remember, real men do style their hair. And as for the shampoo, don't you dare use anything else. You don't want to face the horrors of brassiness. Got it, lamb chop?"

William nodded, taking the bag. "Yeah. Thanks."

Buffy linked her arm with William's. "Thanks so much, Lorne. I knew you'd do a great job."

"But of course. You two kids off for some shopping now?"

"Yep," Buffy replied. "I can't wait to get William into something that shows off that lickable ass of his."

William sputtered his blush quickly returning. "Buffy…"

"Well, it is!" Buffy said. "Wouldn't you say so, Lorne?"

"Oh yeah. I can tell even in those slacks he's wearing now that you could eat a meal off that thing."

William looked down. "Thanks," he mumbled, not knowing what else to say.

Lorne patted Buffy's shoulder. "Well, you two crazy lovebirds head on out, why don't you? Have a good time."

"We will," Buffy said with a smile, her arm still hooked with William's as she led him out of the shop. As soon as they were outside, Buffy stopped, turning to look William in the eye. "You do really like it, don't you? Because if you don't, you don't have to say you do just to make me happy."

"I do," William replied. "I'm surprised that I do, but yeah, it looks good."

Buffy grinned. "I'm happy. It looks great, baby. And I told you it would."

"You were right."

"Always am," Buffy said, giving him a quick kiss. She took his hand, pulling him towards the car. "And now it's off to wardrobe…"

*** *** ***

William trailed behind Buffy as she pulled things from racks, periodically holding them up to him before making her decision of whether or not to keep them in the pile or put them back. She said nothing, only making either a face of approval or extreme distaste. Finally, she seemed to be satisfied with what she had as she led him over to the dressing rooms, sifting through the pile of clothes she'd made until she thrust a few articles at him. "Go put these on."

"Yes, dear," William muttered, earning him a slightly dirty look from Buffy. He sighed and took the clothes from her, going into the dressing rooms. When he came back out, Buffy was sifting through the clothes again, focused on the task of putting together possible outfits. William cleared his throat, and she turned around quickly.

Buffy's jaw dropped, her eyes widening. His normal loose slacks and button-down shirt combination had been replaced by tight black jeans, a black t-shirt, and a dark blue silk overshirt, perfectly complimenting his eyes. The t-shirt looked almost painted on, outlining every one of the muscles on his chest, and Buffy had to fight to keep from swooning.

"I look bloody ridiculous," William muttered. "This stuff's too tight."

"No!" Buffy said, surprised she was able to get her mouth to work. "You look…wow. William, you look great. I mean, I knew you would, but…whoa. If I didn't think it would get us arrested, I'd so have sex with you right here."

"I don't know, Buffy. It all seems like such a radical change," William said.

"But isn't that what you wanted? A change?"

She had him there. He had said he wanted a change, and this certainly was one. But he couldn't shake the feeling that it didn't look right on him, like he'd slipped into someone else's skin. "I feel like I'm playing dress up, and that's what everyone's going to see. Stupid wanker William trying to act like he's something other than a git."

"Um, no," Buffy said. "You look like a really hot guy in some damn sexy clothes." She moved closer to him, pressing her hands against his chest. "Clothes I really wanna rip off."

"Yeah?"

"Yeah. You look good, baby. Really, really good. Trust me on this one."

"Somehow I doubt that's even possible."

Buffy rolled her eyes. "There you go again, completely unaware of your own hotness. But then again if you did know, you might go out and find someone better than me anyway, so maybe it's good you're all clueless."

William frowned. "Buffy, I wouldn't do…"

"Here," she said, handing him another stack of clothes. "Go try these now."

"I wouldn't cheat on you, Buffy," he said softly. "You don't…you don't really think I'd do that, do you?"

"Of course not," Buffy said, though the look in her eyes did little to convince William that she meant it. "Now go. Try on clothes."

"Kitten…"

Buffy put her hands on her hips. "I'm getting impatient. That makes me cranky. And believe me, you do not want a cranky Buffy on your hands."

William decided not to push it. Buffy had a tendency to shut down on him, avoiding certain topics, and this seemed to be one of them. But it didn't matter now, not really. He wouldn't cheat on her, so it was a non-issue. He kissed her softly, trying to reassure her the best he could without words. "I'll be out in a minute, pet."

"I'll be here," Buffy replied with a smile.

William kissed her one more time quickly before going into the dressing room.

*** *** ***

"You're going to blink them right out."

William froze, giving Buffy a look of worry. "Is that possible?"

Buffy shrugged. "I don't know. I've never worn contacts. But the way you're blinking like crazy, it wouldn't surprise me." She reached across the table, taking his hand. "Just don't think about them. You'll get used to them."

"I didn't expect to walk out of there today with the things. Figured he'd have to order them."

"Apparently you have a common prescription," Buffy replied. "And hey, he gave you those kind you can just wear for a few weeks and then trash, so you won't even have to think about them for a while. Instead, you can just think about the fact that you've finally got your gorgeous girlfriend on an actual date."

William smiled at that. "Yeah, I guess I do." He'd been thrilled when Buffy suggested they stay in town after they'd finished their shopping and have dinner together. As much as he loved spending time in bed with her, the idea of an actual date excited him, too. It made their whole relationship seem more real, as if she really was his girlfriend.

Buffy ran her thumb over the top of his hand. She'd had a good day with William, enjoying his company. He looked amazing, her top rate makeover skills certainly being put to good use. She'd still found him attractive that afternoon when they'd set out, but now… His new look seemed to fit the man she'd been discovering in her bed so much more. She'd watched him come out of his shell, transform from the shy, stammering virgin who she'd practically had to drag to bed to the man who had held her over his knees the day before. The way he looked now reflected that, and she was proud of herself.

"Stepping out on William already? That was quick, Buffy."

Buffy turned quickly, Cecily's voice pulling her out of her thoughts. She glared at the brunette now standing beside their table. "Okay, first off, who the hell told you you could interrupt our dinner, and secondly, this is William, you idiot."

William turned towards Cecily and her jaw dropped. "You look…different," she said

"Yeah," William said with a disinterested shrug. "You look about the same. Any reason you came over here?"

Cecily tried unsuccessfully to hide her embarrassment. "It just…appeared as if Buffy was being unfaithful. I was merely looking out for you, William."

William arched an eyebrow. "How thoughtful," he said flatly. "She's not and you're interrupting."

"I'm…I'm sorry," Cecily said, backing up. "Well, enjoy your dinner."

Buffy gave Cecily a saccharine smile and a tiny wave, and Cecily turned around in a huff, walking off. As soon as she was gone, Buffy started laughing, unable to contain it any longer. "Oh my god, that was hilarious."

"She actually didn't recognize me," William said, shaking his head. "I didn't think I looked that different."

"You don't," Buffy said. "She's just a total moron. Trust me, I have to see her every day. God, I bet she is so pissed off right now."

William chuckled. "She did look rather embarrassed." He smiled across the table at Buffy, feeling a great swell of joy that she was the one he was sitting with instead of Cecily. How had he ever thought that he'd had feelings for Cecily? Must've been because he hadn't yet met—and subsequently had his world turned upside down by—one Buffy Summers.

"She totally noticed your hotness, by the way," Buffy said, watching for William's reaction carefully to the observation that the woman he'd once pined for had been checking him out. It had been clear to Buffy that Cecily had not been surprised just to see that it was in fact William sitting there, but that it was William looking like that.

"She can notice all she wants," William said with a shrug. "She already missed her chance." He squeezed Buffy's hand. "I found someone better anyway."

Buffy gave him a shy smile that William was unused to seeing on her face but liked all the same. "Better, huh?"

"Much."

"And you admit that you're totally hot?"

William frowned. "What? I never said that."

"It was implied when you didn't argue that Cecily wasn't checking out your hotness."

William gave her a dirty look. "Oh, you're a tricky one."

"And this is news how?"

He shook his head, chuckling lightly. "Guess it's not. Thank you, Buffy."

"For what? Tricking you into agreeing that you're a hottie?"

"No." William lifted her hand to his mouth, kissing it softly. "For thinking I am," he told her. "For treating me like I am. For just…well, for everything. This week has been the best week of my life, and it's all because of you. You make me so happy, pet. More than I can even begin to tell you."

Buffy looked down, the shy smile coming back. "You've made me really happy, too."

William kissed Buffy's hand one more time before setting it back at the table, smiling at her warmly.

From across the restaurant, Cecily Underwood watched the couple, her eyes narrowed.

*** *** ***

Yes, that was a sex-free chapter. But hey, there was lots of fluffy Spuffy goodness, and that's something, isn't it?

Please remember to review. It keeps the muse in a daily update frame of mind…