Almost as soon as they were behind the closed door of her bedroom, William and Buffy were on each other, kissing desperately as they tore at each other's clothes. They started towards the bed only to tumble to the ground, Buffy clinging to William as he surged inside of her, taking her there on the floor. She'd enjoyed spending the day with him, but she'd missed this so much, her body aching at being near him but not having him inside.

And the desperate way he moved above her now told Buffy he'd been feeling the same thing.

"Oh Buffy, my goddess…" William gasped as he moved in and out of her welcoming heat. "Spent all day wanting this…wanting you."

"William!" Buffy cried as a hard thrust struck just right inside of her, making her tremble. Her nails dug into his shoulders as she lifted her hips to meet his every push down, grinding herself against him. "God, yes, like that. Just like that, William…make me come…"

"Buffy…" William panted, his muscles straining. Buffy thought he looked so beautiful like this, barely restrained, fighting to hold on to his last bit of control. She dipped her head down, latching her teeth on to his nipple, and he made a sound akin to a growl as he pushed her hips down into the floor with his, his cock jerking as he came inside of her. Buffy screamed his name, her orgasm coming seconds behind his.

William trembled against her, his head resting on her chest. Buffy stroked his newly-bleached hair, cooing to him softly, telling him how good he was, how he made her feel. She'd never wanted anyone with the intensity that she wanted William, never had any other man get under her skin quite the way he did. From that first moment, he'd had her entranced, had become the center of her world, what consumed her every thought. She couldn't get through the day without him, sometimes feeling as if she could die just from not having him there in her arms.

Buffy sucked in a breath as it hit her. She loved him. In only a week's time she'd managed to fall for this man who was so unlike anyone she'd ever met before. She'd let her guard down, and he'd made his way into her heart remarkably fast. Cold fear gripped her, and she held on to William tighter. What would he say if he knew the truth? Would he tell her they were too young, that he wasn't ready to be tied down and all her feelings could do was trap him? The thought of him leaving her made her ache deep in her heart, and she couldn't stand the idea of going through that pain again.

She hadn't wanted to fall in love, hadn't wanted to put herself in a position to get hurt again. But it had happened all the same, and she knew there was no going back. All she could do was hope that she did better this time, that she was able to keep William the way she hadn't been able to with the last man who had held her heart. She held on to William tightly, as if she could physically make him stay in her arms forever.

William felt Buffy trembling and pulled up, looking down at her to see tears in her eyes. "Are you okay, luv?" he asked softly.

Buffy nodded. "I'm…I'm sorry. That was just…intense," she said.

William kissed her forehead before pulling up, getting to his feet only to sweep her up into his arms and carry her over to the bed. He put her down on top of the blankets, climbing on the bed beside her, gathering her into his arms and holding her against him.

*** *** ***

Buffy watched William from the bed as he got dressed. "I wish you didn't have to go."

"Me, too, kitten, but I don't think my mother would take to it too well if I stayed out all night."

"Parents do tend to wig about that sort of thing." Buffy stretched. "Well, if they're the sort of parents who care, anyway, which I've gathered your mom is." She rolled over, propping herself up on her elbow. "So, do I get to meet her anytime soon?"

William paused, his boots in hand. "Maybe. She's…sick a lot. Not really up for company."

"Oh. I'm sorry to hear that…"

"She has good days and bad days," William said, sitting on the edge of the bed to put on his shoes.

"Well, if she has a good one, I'd like to meet her. If that's okay, anyway."

"I'll talk to her about it," William said, leaning over to give Buffy a kiss. "I'll see you tomorrow, pet."

"All right, William." She smiled softly. "I'll be dreaming about you."

William smiled back. "I'll be dreaming about you, too."

*** *** ***

William was surprised to see his mother sitting in the parlor when he got home. "I thought you'd be asleep by now," he told her.

"Got caught up in what I was reading," she said, patting the cover of her book. She regarded William for a moment. "You've changed your hair. And are those different clothes than you were wearing earlier?"

William looked down. "Buffy took me shopping and to get a haircut."

William missed the small smile that crept to his mother's lips. "Buffy must really like you then. Fixing a man up the way a woman likes is usually a sign she plans to keep him around."

"I…I don't know," William said, shifting uncomfortably. "We haven't really spoken about it."

"Trust a mother's intuition, William," she replied. "And Buffy did a lovely job. You look very nice."

"You aren't upset?"

"About what?" his mother asked with a frown.

"The hair…the clothes…" William replied. "I thought you might not like them."

"You look fine, dear. Nothing so radical as to cause your poor mother a heart attack." She smiled and patted the spot beside her on the sofa. "Come here. I have something I need to tell you."

William did as his mother asked, sitting down beside her. "Is everything all right? You aren't feeling ill again, are you?"

"Oh heaven's no. I've been feeling quite well recently. It's about your cousin Wesley. His wife Winifred gave birth to their first child this evening."

"That's wonderful," William said. "I'm sure they're quite happy."

"They are. But Winifred is nervous. You know how she is, always wanting to have everything perfect. She's afraid that she's going to do something wrong, and I agreed to come and stay with them for a few days, help her learn how to care for an infant."

"Are you sure you're up to it?" William asked. "Taking care of a baby can wear you down, and…"

"William, I just told you I'm feeling fine. And I'd love to spend some time helping Winifred and Wesley with the baby. It will only be for a few days—a week at the most. Will you be all right here while I'm gone? I'd rather not stop your lessons…"

William nodded. "I'll be fine, mother."

"Good," his mother said with a smile. "I'll be leaving in the morning." She kissed William's cheek before rising to her feet. "When I come home, I'd love to meet his young woman of yours."

William swallowed. "I'll…I'll ask her about it."

"Please do."

"You should get some rest, Mother, if you're going to be heading out in the morning."

"I'm going to bed now." She ruffled his curls. "You should be toddling off yourself. You were with Buffy until quite late—again. I'm sure you're tired."

The smile on her lips was almost teasing, and William blushed a little before shaking it off, deciding he was imagining things. "I'll go soon, Mother."

"Good. Sleep well, my darling, and I'll see you in the morning before I leave."

"All right. Good night, Mum."

"Good night."

*** *** ***

When William went over to Buffy's the next day he found her sitting on her bed, talking on her cell phone. She told whoever it was to hold on for a moment, covering the receiver as she addressed William. "It's my friend Willow from school. We're talking about a project we're doing together. Can you give me a few minutes?"

"Yeah, sure," William said.

"Thanks," Buffy replied, going back to the phone call.

William looked around her room, making his way over to the book shelf, curious to see what sort of things his girlfriend liked to read. He noticed most of it was school books with a few fashion guides and other sorts of things he'd expect to see in a teenaged girl's room. On the top of the shelf was an assortment of trophies, mostly for cheerleading and gymnastics, while a few were—surprisingly to William—for ice skating. There was also a jewelry box sitting beside a pink, stuffed pig. He picked up the pig, frowning as he inspected it. It was obviously old, well worn. He wondered how long she'd had it, and then had his question answered as he noticed a framed picture of a little blonde girl holding a much younger version of the pig. Written beneath the picture in a child's scrawl was "Me and Mr. Gordo." William chuckled at the image of little Buffy, noticing the same mischievous glint in her young eyes as was nearly ever-present now.

He put down the pig, his gaze trailing down to the first shelf. He noticed a book slightly larger than the others with a dark purple binding and the words "Hemery High School" emblazoned down the side in bright yellow letters. He glanced back at Buffy, finding her still engrossed in her phone conversation with Willow, and pulled the book from the shelf. He set it beside Mr. Gordo, flipping it open to the first page—a collage of high school students engaged in school spirited activities. Buffy was right in the center, a bright smile on her face as she stood on the apex of a pyramid of cheerleaders.

William flipped through, noticing that Buffy managed to grace a majority of the pages, seeming to be everywhere in the school at once. She was the Prom Princess…the Fiesta Queen…the organizer of the Spirit Week Parade. And by her side was almost always a tall boy with dark hair whose head was frequently encircled by a bright pink heart. William swallowed, realizing who it had to be. Angel…

He kept flipping through the book, learning that Angel was also the star player on the Hemery High football team as well as the frequent lead in school plays. Handsome, athletic, and apparently not afraid of the limelight. Everything William was not…

He found Angel's picture in the Juniors section, again circled by a pink heart, this one with an arrow poking out from either end. His full name was listed as "Liam Angelus," but the "Angel" in his last name had been highlighted—again in pink. His stomach turned, but he felt compelled to flip to the back, searching for what this other man had written in Buffy's yearbook. The message was simple, but it was enough to drive the point home to William that Buffy's heart belonged to another.

Buffy—my love forever and always. Angel

It stood out like a bright red stain amongst the myriad of wishes that Buffy "have a great summer" and promises of "see you next year." Love forever and always. William shudder, closing the book and putting it back on the shelf.

He didn't move again until he heard Buffy end her conversation and call his name. He turned towards her, hoping his pain wasn't clear in his eyes. Buffy was smiling at him, and he forced himself into the now, to hold on to the moment where Buffy was looking at him like he was her everything. It was just an illusion, something that wouldn't last, but it was something that he could remember when he was alone and she'd gone back to the man she really loved.

"Sorry about that," Buffy said. "The project isn't due for another two and a half weeks, but Willow's a super over-achiever. She has to have everything done way early, like she's afraid the apocalypse is going to hit before she gets it finished or something."

"It's all right," William said, forcing a smile. He ran his hand through his hair. "I wanted to talk to you about something."

"Okay." Buffy frowned suddenly. "It's not a bad something, is it?"

"No, it's not bad." He walked over to the bed, sitting beside her. "My cousin's wife just had a baby, and my mother agreed to go stay with them for a few days and help her out. I'm going to have the house to myself."

Buffy's first thought was to wonder why his mother was too sick to meet her but apparently not too sick to go visit relatives, but she pushed that away. It wasn't like William was purposely trying to keep her away from his mother. That was just her being paranoid. She moved closer to him, putting her hand on his knee. "And what exactly do you plan to do about that?"

"I was thinking maybe one or two of those mornings I could wake up not alone," he replied with a slow grin.

The look on his face made Buffy's insides turn to jelly. She wasn't quite sure how shy William had turned into the sexually confident man looking at her now, but she certainly wasn't complaining. "You can have me any morning you want me," Buffy said. "Same goes for the nights."

"Good," William replied, pulling her into his arms and kissing her hard. She was here with him now, not Angel. His was the bed she'd be sleeping in.

He just had to keep reminding himself of that…

*** *** ***

I almost didn't get this chapter post-ready tonight, but everyone was so good with the reviews, I wanted to make sure I did. It means so much to me that so many people are enjoying my story, and I wanted to let you know I appreciate it.

Please review!