Epilogue

Buffy could still remember a project she'd done her freshman year of high school. The teacher had instructed the class to make a scrapbook depicting what they saw themselves doing after graduation. Buffy had been so sure of her future then. She was going to stay in L.A. and go to cosmetology school so she could be a professional stylist. Angel would already be halfway through college, and they'd be preparing for a future together, the whole marriage-and-kids package.

She hadn't gotten that. Instead, she was living in London, sharing a flat with a man she'd hadn't even known back then. Instead of cosmetology, she'd gone to school for psychology, finding herself more drawn to the subject that she'd ever thought she would be. She was a far cry from the girl she'd been when she'd planned her future out as a high school freshman, but she knew in her heart things had worked out for the best.

Now, she'd just finished her first year at the university, and had almost surprised herself with how well she'd done. Her final grades had been something to be proud of, and she'd decided to celebrate with a passion that had remained with her even when so many other things had changed—shopping.

Buffy looked up from the rack she was browsing, catching the eye of the man that was responsible for much of the good currently in her life. She hadn't been looking for love the night she'd met William, but she'd found it all the same. He'd been the most shy, unassuming person she'd ever met, yet he'd turned her world upside down, changing everything she wanted, everything she needed.

William grinned at her from where he stood, the confidence that was clear in his stance a far cry from what he'd been a year before. Buffy knew she'd made him a man in more ways than one.

It was then that she noticed where he had ended up, and rolled her eyes. "Come back over here," she said.

"I like it here better," William replied, running his tongue over his teeth. He reached on to the rack, picking one of the garments and holding it up. "How about this, kitten?" he asked, his grin turning to a leer.

Buffy eyed the scrap of red lace. "I'm not underwear shopping today, Will," she replied.

"You can never have too many pairs of skimpy panties pet," William said. "Oooh…what about these?" He pulled out a black pair decorated with silver glitter. "Oh, these are nice, too…"

Buffy glanced over, seeing a couple of older women across the store eyeing them disapprovingly. She walked over to William, her hands on her hips. "Knock it off."

William pulled another pair off the rack. "I'd rather take these off of you. Maybe with my teeth." He waggled his eyebrows.

Buffy tried to look annoyed, but couldn't hide the smile that was creeping to her lips. "You're making old people stare at us," she said in a whisper.

"They're just jealous because no one wants to see them in sexy knickers," William replied.

Buffy's nose wrinkled. "Gee, honey, thanks a lot for that mental image."

"Says the woman who let the cat out of the bag about my mother and Giles. You know, I was completely happy living in denial about that."

"Could you get over that already?" Buffy said, rolling her eyes. "It's been over a year. I thought you would've dealt with it by now."

"No. No dealing. Repressing. Much better for my sanity," William replied.

"They are very happy together," Buffy pointed out.

"Yes. Very happy in their completely non-sexual friendship," William said, arms crossed over his chest.

"You are too pathetic," Buffy said, shaking her head.

"Only sex I want to think about is the kind involving you, luv," William replied. He stepped closer to her, his hand reaching out to brush her arm. "Speaking of…" He looked her up and down with a leer.

"Nuh-uh. I wanna shop now," Buffy said, crossing her arms over her chest. "You're just going to have to be patient, mister."

William pouted. "But I'm bored."

"You're like a little boy sometimes, you know that?" Buffy said. He responded by continuing to look pitiful, bouncing on the balls of his feet with barely contained energy. "Okay, how about this," she said with a sigh. "You stay over here and pick out underwear for me while I shop for real clothes. Deal?"

William's eyes lit up. "And you'll wear it for me when we get home?"

"Yes, dear."

"Deal made then."

Buffy smiled as she kissed him, unable to find him anything but adorable. She'd been drawn to him from the start, attracted to the shy, innocent boy she'd found with a broken heart. But the man he'd become—the man she'd showed him how to be—was everything she could ever ask for in a lover.

No, her life hadn't turned out the way she'd once planned.

It had turned out better.

*** *** ***

And that is the end. I hope you enjoyed my "short" fic that somehow managed to turn into a smutty epic…. (Still not sure how that managed to happen. Silly muse.) Thanks to everyone who stuck with me through the whole thing, bumps in the road to Spuffy love and all. I know I lost some people along the way, and I really do appreciate those who were willing to see it through to the end.

Even though it's the end, please remember to review—let me know if you enjoyed it all the way through!

To everyone celebrating one holiday or another this upcoming weekend/week, I wish you a very happy holidays. And since this will probably be my last post until January, Happy New Year as well!

Thanks again for reading! This fic was a lot of fun to write, and I'm glad so many people enjoyed it! Thanks!