****Chapter 2****Part of the Gang?**** The sun filtered through the curtains, casting the Magic Box in a golden glow. Buffy stood in the center of a pool of pure ivory brilliance, lighting her ablaze, as if she were a Celestial Spirit from above. Spike sat watching her from his perch in the stairs leading to the top floor of the store, unable to tear his eyes away from her.

*It’s my fault the bit found out she was this key thing that the Glory bird is looking for. Now Buffy has another thing to fret about.* Spike cursed himself as his unattainable Seraph worried at her necklace, staring anxiously out into the setting sun.

“She should be here by now?” Buffy said, not looking away from the window.

“She’s only 15 minutes late.” Willow said, looking up from the book Tara and her were looking at. “She’s probably just gossiping with her friends.”

Buffy continued to stare out the window without answering, the mask of uneasiness never leaving her face.

“Buffy, come sit down. We must discuss exactly what we are going to do about Glory.” Giles called out, causing Buffy to sigh in resignation and walk over to the round table. She looked at the assembled group. Willow and Tara, both so loyal and dependable. Stacks of books almost three feet tall surrounded the girls, all but hiding them from the room as they dug through the mystical texts, trying to find any magical solution. Xander, trustworthy and truly the heart of the group. Thoroughly bored with the research, he flipped through the books at random, ogling the half naked pictures. Anya, guileless, and outspoken. Her love of money had her counting and recounting the money in the till dismayed at the loss of profits due to Giles’ insistence that the store close early to accommodate the meeting. And Giles, the closest thing the whole group had to a father figure. He continued to pour over the translations on Glory and the Key as if he may had missed something the first thirty times he had read them. Never willing to give up.

Buffy raised her eyes to watch Spike as he flicked his lighter on and off in boredom. He confused her. The night before when he had joined her at the table at the Bronze, he seemed to want to be part of the gang. Willow and Tara hd begun to treat him civilly Even her mom had let Dawn go over to his crypt last night to. . .wait.

“Spike, was Dawn at your crypt last night? Buffy demanded. Spike looked up, his eyes widening for a moment in surprise, stopping his snapping of the lighter.

“Uh, sure, Slayer. Why? Spike gave Buffy his most innocent look. The flame began to burn his fingers and he dropped the lighter with a curse.

“You were at the Bronze last night. When did you find time to watch TV with my sister? Buffy crossed her arms over her chest and glared at the vampire, trying not to laugh at his clumsiness.

Spike smirked at Buffy, not a bit embarassed, and resumed flicking the lighter. “It was cards and maybe you were just too busy with the new boyfriend to notice I left shortly after to keep my date with the bit.” Spike gave Buffy a smug smile.

“He’s not my boyfriend.” Buffy replied, a peculiar look on her face. “And why was she at your crypt. That is so not a good place my little sister to be.” Spike was saved literally by the bell as the front door opened to the Magic Box and Dawn waltzed in. Her eyes lit up as she saw Spike sitting behind Buffy.

“Spike,” Dawn called out in delight as she gave him a large smile. “What are you doing her? Not that I don’t want you here, it’s just that you normally aren’t here to. . . “ Spike’s amused chuckle stopped Dawn in mid thought and cause her to blush.

“Just waiting for sundown so Big Sis and I can patrol.” Buffy watched as the two chatted animatedly, a twinge of jealousy hitting her. *Why can Spike make my sister like that.* Buffy thought to herself, a scowl crossing her features. *All I get these days is scowls when ever I open my mouth.* Giles’ voice broke through Buffy’s thoughts.

“Buffy we really need to discuss these Knights that you saw the other night. With them after-”Giles broke off at the glare that Buffy was giving him.

“Not right now ok Giles. Let’s discuss other things right now. Like how we are going to defeat Glory.” Buffy gave Dawn a furtive glance that thankfully she missed. Spike didn’t though. He watched at Buffy moved closer to Giles and the two began to argue quietly over what information they really didn’t want Dawn to know. Buffy’s golden hair bounced harshly against her face as she shook her head no. Spike couldn’t help but stare as the florescent lights bounced of her hair in waves, causing the flaxen strands to glow brilliantly. Her hazel eyes flashed in annoyance at her Watcher. *God she’s beautiful when she’s brassed.* Spike thought to himself. Buffy looked in his direction, causing Spike to rip his eyes from. her. He turned back to Dawn and saw her watching him with a combination of amusement and annoyance. “You haven’t heard a word I just said.” Dawn pouted, giving Spike her famous puppy dog eyes. Spike sighed in resignation.

“Sorry Nibblet. Got lost in thought is all.” Spike said glancing at the still fighting pair. An idea sparked, causing his eyes to sparkle. “Bloody hell this is boring don’t ya think there bit?” Spike said, loud enough for the room to hear. “What you say we go into the back and play us a round of cards.” Buffy looked at Spike in surprise, a grateful smile on her face. Spike’s face lit up at her appreciation. Dawn jumped from her seat excitedly and grabbed her bookbag.

“Sure.” Dawn said grabbing Spike and hauling him towards the training room. “You can teach me how to count cards again.” Spike looked worriedly back at Buffy to see her watching them, an amused twinkle in her eye.

“Don’t teach her anything Spike.” Buffy called after them, with a barley suppressed grin. “And watch the language.” Spike gave her his ‘Who me?’ look just before Dawn pulled him through the back door, slamming it behind them.