***Chapter 21***Gratitude***

The next day dawned bright and warm.. Windows were thrown open to allow the moist morning air to dispel the gloom of the cool night. The inhabitants if the Summer’s home rushed about their morning tasks. The scent of maple filled the air as the bacon sizzled and popped in the frying pan. Muffled shouts could be heard as sisters fought for time in the bathroom.

Joyce smiled as she heard her youngest pounding on a door, screaming at her sister. Joyce turned from the stove with a shake of her head and saw a sleep rumpled Spike standing in the corner of the kitchen, shying away from the sunlight that poured from the open window.

“Let me get that.” Joyce said as she quickly closed the blinds, clocking the deadly rays form the vampire. Spike smiled his thanks and moved to take a seat at the island. Spike was oblivious to Joyce moving around the kitchen until a hot mug of blood was thrust under his nose.

“Thanks mum.” Spike croaked, earning a sweet smile from Joyce.

“So you’ve got your voice coming back. That’s good.” A shriek pierced the air before Spike could reply, the vampire wincing at the sound.

“Banshees?” Spike asked with at smirk.

“Don’t I wish. Then Buffy could just slay them and we could have a nice quiet morning.” Joyce replied with a laugh. Spike joined in the laughter, his voice deep and husky. The sounds of pounding overhead stopped, Spike heaved a sigh of relief.

“So what are you doing up so early? I thought vampires slept all day.” Spike opened his mouth to answer but was distracted when Buffy breezed into the kitchen.

She looked stunning in her pale yellow sundress. The hem stopped well above her knees giving Spike a good look at her golden skin. Spike shifted uncomfortably as thought of those tanned legs wrapping themselves around him. Spike’s blue eyes traveled over her soft curves to meet Buffy’s amused gaze. Spike’s lips moved into a smirk as he blatantly ran his gaze over her again, a soft blush covering her features. Spike had forgotten that Joyce was in the room until she spoke.

“Breakfast is almost ready.” Joyce said as she placed a plate full of toast beside a bowl of scrambled eggs. “The bacon is almost done. I need to get dressed, can you finish it up, honey.” Joyce asked, oblivious to the looked the vampire and slayer were giving each other.

“Sure mom.” Buffy said, pulling her gaze from his to give her mother a smile. Joyce returned her daughters smile before handing over the spatula in her hand and heading upstairs. Spike wasted no time in rising from his seat and pulling Buffy towards him.

“Mornin’ Slayer.” Spike whispered huskily, dipping his lips to capture hers. Buffy returned his kiss whole heartily. Spike’s hands rested on her hips, pulling her closer to him. Buffy dropped the spatula to the counter and wound her fingers in the silky strands of his hair. She moaned as Spike ground himself against her, a slash of heat accompanying his action.

The scent of something burning made Buffy pull her lips from his and push him from her. Spike stood dazed for a moment, shocked at the sudden retreat she had made. He smiled softly as he watched Buffy scoop the bacon from the frying pan and onto an awaiting plate.

Buffy swore as the grease in the pan popped, hitting her arm as she moved the pan to a cold burner. She rubbed at the grease with her other hand, trying to alleviate some of he burning sensation. Buffy turned and found herself face to face with Spike once again. She took in a sharp breath, surprised to find him so close. Her breath became shallow as he ran his hand over her sore arm, staring into hers intently. Slowly, as if not to startle her, Spike raised her arm to his lips, darting out his tongue to caress her soft skin.

All thought of pain left her mind as Spike ran his lips over her arm, his cool tongue leaving a soothing trail behind. Buffy leaned into Spike as he made his way up her arm, moving behind her as he went. He ran his lips over her shoulder, interrupted only by the small spaghetti strap of her dress. Buffy sighed as his lips met her skin again, moving over the smooth skin of her shoulder, pushing her hair out of his way. She tilted her head to the side to allow him better access as his lips sucked lightly on her neck. Buffy shivered at the thought of the dangerous creature so close to the vein in her neck. She cried out in pleasure as his blunt teeth bit down lightly on her jugular, wave after wave of heat flashing through her body at his touch.

Spike wrapped his hands more securely around her waist, pulling her closer as she sagged against him. He moved his mouth up to her ear, capturing the lobe between his teeth, pulling another moan from her lips.

“I like the dress, pet.” Spike whispered in her ear as he continued his assault of her neck.

“Good.” Buffy sighed, a small smile playing on her lips. “I wore it for you.” Spike chuckled at her unexpected candor, the feel of his cool breath sending a tingling sensation all the way to her toes. Spike gave her neck one last chaste kiss before pulling away from her and moving back to his seat.

Buffy tottered for a moment at the loss of his body, staring after him in shock. Spike sat down on his stool, raising his mug to his lips. He gave the door a pointed look just as Dawn came into the room, a wide smile on her face as she saw Spike.

“Spike, your awake.” She cried as she rushed to give him a hug, almost knocking the blood from his hand.

“Easy there, Nibblet.” Spike croaked, his voice cracking slightly. Dawn pulled back, her eyes widened in shock, before launching herself back into his arms. Only Vampire coordination kept the mug from being dropped to the floor. He set the mug on the counter, well away from the excited teen before patting her back awkward.

Buffy watched in amusement as her sister embraced the embarrassed vampire. The imploring look he sent her way sent her into helpless giggles.

“Dawn leave Spike alone and eat your breakfast.” Joyce said, catching the look of the vampire. Spike smiled at Joyce as Dawn released her death grip and moved to take a seat of her own.

“You burned the bacon, Buffy.” Dawn whined as she pulled out a crispy piece, holding it up and staring at it in distaste. Buffy blushed as she took her own seat on the other side of Spike. Spike smiled at her and plucked the burnt bacon from Dawn’s grasp, popping it in his mouth.

“Just the way I like it.” Spike grinned, sucking the grease from his fingers. Dawn gave him a disgusted look before turning back to her breakfast.

Buffy squeezed his thigh in thanks, her hand lingering on the taunt muscle. Spike bit back a groan as her hand lightly caressed the denim clad skin. Buffy gave him her most innocent look, as Spike sent a pained glare her way. She removed her hand from his leg to snatch a piece of bacon from the plate.

Joyce watched in amusement as the three bickered over the plate of bacon, all vying for the last piece. She stifled a laugh as both her daughters pinned the helpless vampire, who had grabbed up the last piece, with their puppy dog eyes. She couldn’t hold back her laugh as Spike sighed in mock defeat and broke the piece in half, handing the halves to the girls on either side of him.

“I’m off to pick up a few things, do you girls need a ride.” Dawn nodded around the toast in her mouth and took off to her room after a dropping her plate in the sink.

“I don’t have class till ten.” Buffy told her mom. “I was going to head over to the Magic Box in a bit. But I can walk.” Joyce nodded and grabbed her purse from the counter.

“Just leave the dishes, I’ll wash them when I get back.” With a parting smile, Joyce yelled for her youngest to hurry. Dawn left the house, slamming the door behind her, leaving Spike and Buffy alone.

Spike watched Buffy intently as she moved nervously around the kitchen. Stacking the dirty dishes in the sink and wiping the counter. He smiled at her, marveling that she could be so nervous with him still.

“Buffy.” She jumped as he said her name, his voice deep and husky. “What are you doing, pet?” Buffy gave Spike an embarrassed look, a flush covering her cheeks.

“Avoiding.” She said sheepishly.

“Me?” Spike asked with a hurt look.

“No.” Buffy quickly reassured. “Well, not just you. Me, us, this-this thing between us. What are we doing?” Buffy gave Spike a searching look, her eyes bright with fear. “I mean. I know what we are doing. It’s just what is this thing with us?” Spike sighed and moved to take her in his arms but Buffy eluded his grasp. Spike gave her a hurt look.

“What do you mean?” Spike crossed his arms over his chest, staring at her.

“I need time.” Buffy sighed. “I want you. I know this, you know this but this thing,” Buffy pointed alternately between Spike and herself. “It shouldn't be happening. Sure you saved my sister but this can't just be about gratitude. I don't know what I feel but I know I need time to figure it out.”

“Gratitude?” Spike croaked in disbelief. “Is that all this has been to you?”

“No!” Buffy sighed in frustration. “I don’t know. That’s what I want to find out.”

“Bollocks. What is there to find out. I want you, you want me. Simple. Direct.” Spike glared at Buffy. Buffy ran her hands through her hair in exasperation.

“I need more than that.” Buffy said angrily. “That’s what I need time for.”

“Well fine.” Spike said angrily. “Take all the bloody time you need.”

“Fine I will.” Buffy pushed past Spike, grabbing her bag from beside the front door. “I will be back later. Stay out of my room.” Buffy wrenched the door open, slamming it shut behind her. Spike stared after her angrily, a heavy feeling in his chest.

“Bloody hell!” Spike yelled as he threw his mug against the refrigerator in anger, splattering blood over the white surface. He started to cough as the shouting took its toll on his still healing throat. He filled a glass from the tap, downing the luke warm liquid quickly.

Spike surveyed the damage when he got control of his cough. With a sigh he picked up the broken shards of the mug.

‘Bloody hell.’ Spike thought to himself, his throat raw from yelling. ‘Bollocks it up again haven’t I.’ Spike dropped the pieces into the garbage, snagging a towel to wipe up the mess. The mess was quickly cleaned up. Spike grabbed the blood stained rags and made his way back to the basement. He threw the dirty towel into the washer before flopping down on his bed.

Sleep was a long time in coming.