***Chapter 23***Panic***

“Stupid, obstinate, evil, bloodsucking, impatient. . .” The list went on and on as Buffy stormed down the sidewalk, oblivious to everything around her. A dog darted out from one of the yards, almost knocking the preoccupied slayer to the ground. The dog yelped and Buffy glared as they stood and stared at each other. Buffy’s expression softened at the ‘poor me’ expression in the bright blue eyes of the hound as it cowered at her feet.

‘Suck pretty blue ey-’ Buffy said to herself before looking to the sky and screaming in frustration. She didn’t even notice the dog go scrambling our of her way as she resumed her brisk pace down the road.

“Stupid, annoying, always right where you don’t wa-” She broke off her furious tirade as the sound of a siren pierced the afternoon air. She realized that the sound had come from her street, her heart rate rose as she began to panic. The ambulance sped down the road past her, lights flashing their warning, siren blaring. Buffy’s eyes widened in panic fear as she raced down the side walk, desperate to reach her home, the words ‘not mom’ repeating over and over in her head.

The door swung open with a bang, almost knocking it off its hinges. The Slayer rushed in screaming her mom’s name frantically. Spike jumped to his feet and hurried to intercept the distraught female, careful to keep from the sun that shone through the open doorway.

“Where is she?” Buffy demanded, clutching his shirt in her hands, her body taut with tension.

“They took her to the hospital, she fainted and I couldn’t wake her.” Spike told her gently, trying to loosen her death grip in his shirt.

“Why didn’t you go with her?” Buffy cried, tears welling up in her eyes. “Damn you. She’s all alone.” She beat her fist against his chest, Spike let her vent her frustration, barely feeling the tempered blows, as he tried to comfort the slayer. She stopped suddenly, her eyes wide and glistening with the yet unshed tears.

“I have to go to her!” Buffy grabbed Spike’s arm and pulled him after her. He hissed in pain and pulled from her grasp as the sun hit his bare skin, scorching the pale flesh. Buffy glared at him for pulling away before the smell of burnt skin assaulted her.

“Just let me grab my duster and we can take the sewers.” Spike said, already heading for the basement/

“Don’t bother.” Buffy said scornfully. “I don’t need you.” Spike’s eyes flashed gold as he pulled Buffy from the doorway, ignoring the searing pain of his burning flesh.

“Bloody hell woman! Stop being a stubborn little bint and wait two God damn seconds.”

Buffy blinked at his sudden rage, standing, shocking in place until he came from the basement, coat in hand. He covered his head with the leather and took off out the door, tempting fate yet again as he tried to out run the sun. The man hole cover was deftly removed, the result of much practice, and he jumped into the dark abyss, leaving a trail of smoke behind him. He stepped back from where the sun penetrated the dark and waited impatiently for Buffy to follow.

A long moment passed, and Spike was sure he would have to drag her down, when she appeared at the entrance, her golden hair glowing about her like a halo in the afternoon light.

“Hurry up!” Spike called out impatiently. With a loud sigh, she looked around to make sure no one was about to witness her descent, and lowered herself into the hole., making her ways quickly down the ladder. Spike didn’t give her a moment to adjust to the low light before he gripped her hand and pulled her forcefully through the tunnel, making his way unerringly towards the hospital.

“You don’t have to yank me around.” Buffy said shortly as she pulled her hand from his grasp. “It’s my mom we need to get to.” They walked in silence, the only sounds were that of their footfalls echoing in the dark cavernous tunnel.

“Are we there yet?” Buffy asked after a long moment, her voice laced with uncharacteristic fear.

“Does it look like we’re there yet?” Spike spat out before he could stop the scalding words. Buffy glared at him before increasing her pace, almost running down the tunnel.

“Buffy wait.” Spike called out hoarsely, increasing his pace to catch up. “Slayer!” Buffy ignored him and broke into a jog. Spike caught her easily and caught her arm, swinging her around to face him.

“Let me go!” She cried, pulling her arm from his grasp. “I don’t have time for you. She just had a tumor removed and now. . . she could di-” Her voice caught in her throat painfully. “I have to get to her.”

“Well you won’t get to the hospital going that way. You missed the bloody turn.” Spike pointed back the way they came to a dimly lit tunnel. Buffy glared and followed after him silently.

The walk from the basement to the emergency room was done in silence, both concentrating on the hall ahead of them. The journey though the halls was dangerous as the afternoon sun shone through the windows making the vampire rush from shaded area to shaded area. Buffy couldn’t help but laugh at his antics, despite the situation.

Spike hared Buffy giggle behind him and turned to give her a curious glance. The scowl on his face softened to his classic smirk as she continued to laugh.

“Come on.” He growled playfully, grabbing her hand and pulling her towards the emergency desk. She sobered quickly as her concern for her mom took over. Spike stood off to the side as Buffy talked to the nurse at the sunlit desk. The sun played in her hair, causing the silken strands to glow as the air conditioning ruffled the locks, brushing against her golden skin. A furrow crossed her brow as the nurse said something to her, her lips moving into a frown. Spike saw Buffy sigh then head his way.

“So?” He asked as she returned to his side, having been too caught up in his appreciation of her to listen in on the conversation.

“The doctor is with her now.” She replied, her face drawn and closed. Weariness passed over her and he sat down hard on the bench against he wall. Spike took the sea beside her and waited for her to continue.

“The stupid nurse wouldn’t even tell me how she is.” Buffy said after a moment, running her hands through her hair in frustration. “She said the doctor would be with me shortly. That she paged him and he would tell me what was going on.” Buffy buried her face in her hands, her shoulders shaking with her repressed tears.

Spike patted her back awkwardly, unable to think of a proper way to comfort her. Buffy sat up and leaned into his touch, resting her meager weight against him. Spike relaxed and wrapped his arm around her waist, pulling her more securely against him, resting his shin on her head. Buffy closed her eyes and allowed his support to sooth her frazzled nerves.

It was Spike who noticed the stoic doctor walking down the hall, heading for the emergency desk. Spike noticed the tension across his shoulders and hoped that he want there for them. He closed his eyes and sighed as the nurse pointed in their direction. Buffy felt him tense beneath her and turned to give him a curious glance. She followed his gaze and sat up straight in her seat, warily watching the doctor make his way towards them.

“Miss Summers?” The doctor asked as he came to stand before them. Buffy nodded and rose to her feet. Spike rose as well and gripped Buffy’s hand. She gave him a grateful look and squeezed his hand before returning her gaze to the doctor.

“Your mother had a complication due to her surgery. There was a clot. Thankfully she was brought in in time and we were able to get to it before it became dangerous. She was lucky to have someone with her.” Buffy sagged in relief against the Vampire standing beside her.

“Can we see her?” Buffy asked anxiously. The doctor smiled.

“She is being moved to recovery right now. A nurse will fetch you when she is situated. Buffy smiled her thanks and shook the doctors hand. Spike grinned down at the Slayer and pulled her into his grasp, breathing in her warm scent.

“Joyce is a tough old bird, I knew she’s pull through.” Buffy laughed as she snuggled into his embrace.

“Just don’t let her hear you called her old.” Spike chuckled and looked down at Buffy’s upturned face, her eyes bright with relief. Spike pressed his lips to hers softly, raising his head to look at her again. Buffy sighed and brought her lips up to his, eager for contact. Spike quickly lower his head and captured her lips in a sweet caress, his arm tightening his hold on her. Buffy sighed again, opening her mouth to allow him in.

Their tongues moved languidly against each other, savoring the taste unique to their partner. Buffy wrapped her arms around his neck, slanting her mouth to open herself further to his questing tongue. Spike groaned and pulled his lips from hers, his unneeded breath coming in pants.

“Right idea, wrong place, pet.” He replied to her questioning look. Buffy nodded and buried her head in his chest. Spike groaned as her warm breath tickled his cool flesh through the thin material of his t-shirt. He felt her smile against him as she purposefully blew a hard breath against his chest, eliciting a shudder from him. He gave her butt a playful swat and glared down at her. Buffy giggled, and pulled away in mock horror.

“Did you just spank me?” She asked in mock reproach.

“Not yet luv. When I spank you, pet, you won’t have to ask if I have.” His voice deep and thick with promise. Buffy swallowed hard, her head filling with images. She opened her mouth to reply when a nurse called out her name, indicating for them to follow her down the hall. Spike smirked and pulled Buffy to his side, wrapping his arm around her shoulders. Buffy wrapped her arm around his waist and gave his side a sharp pinch. Spike laughed and pulled her down the hall after the nurse.



***Review. You must review. Please!!***Oh and sorry it took so long. I couldn’t decide if I wanted to kill Joyce. Maybe later. . .***