***Chapter 24***Tease***

“Well go in, pet.” Spike said softly. Buffy stared at the closed hospital room door and didn’t respond. She leaned against him and sighed. Spike tightened his arm across her shoulders and gave her head a quick kiss.

“Go on, I’ll wait here.” Buffy gave him a wild eyes look and tightened her arm around his waist.

“No, you have to come in. I-” Buffy broke off when Spike gave her a small smile.

“Then I’ll come in.” He moved and opened the door, holding it wide for Buffy to enter. She took a deep breath and walked into the room, moving to the window to close the blinds. Spike grinned foolishly, touched that she remembered his little problem despite her mother.

“Buffy!” Joyce said quietly, her voice weak. Buffy rushed to her mom’s side and sat on the bed.

‘Mom, how are you.” Joyce took Buffy’s hand in hers and brushed her hair back with the other.

“I’m fine, honey.” Joyce said soothingly. “The doctor said it wasn’t serious and I’ll be fine in a couple days.” Buffy wrapped her arms around her mothers neck, her shoulders heaving with repressed sobs. Spike caught Joyce’s gaze over her daughters shoulder, warning him not to speak. No one know better than Spike how serious the situation really had been. He had never felt more helpless when she had stopped breathing and there was nothing he could do to help. It was the longest minute of his unlife, as he waited anxiously for the paramedics to arrive.

Buffy pulled back from her mother and wiped at her eyes. Spike shifted uncomfortably in the doorway. Joyce saw his movement and gestured for him to come closer.

“Spike, stop hovering in the doorway and come in.” He gave the pair a sheepish grin and ambled over to the bed, hands dug deep in his duster pockets. Buffy smiled at the vampire before turning back to her mom.

“I wanted to thank you for what you did.” Joyce said, taking the vampire’s hand in hers and giving it a light squeeze.

“No thanks are needed.” Spike replied softly, squeezing back. Joyce smiled at him, her eyes conveying more than her simple words. She let out a soft sigh.

“You look tired, we should let you rest.” Buffy said quickly, noticing that her mom could barely keep her eyes open. “Dawn should be home from school soon and we should be there to tell her what happened.” Spike smiled at her use of ‘we.’

“Oh honey.” Joyce called out as Buffy moved away from the bed. “Dawn is staying over at a friends house tonight. Maybe we shouldn’t spring this on her right now. Let her have a good night.” Buffy nodded at her mom and gave her a peck on her cheek.

“Sure mom. You get some rest.” Joyce smiled at her daughter and closed her eyes, settling back against the bed. She was asleep before they left the room.

***~~~***

The sun was still shining as Buffy and Spike walked through the hospital corridors towards the basement. Spike ached to take Buffy in his arms again but she walked beside him, her back rigid, her arms wrapped tightly around herself. He successfully dodged yet another bout of sun and Buffy walked on, oblivious. They reached the basement before long and Spike held up the grate to the sewers for Buffy to precede him.

He jumped through the tunnel into the passage beneath, the sound of his combat boots striking the earth echoing off the cavernous walls. Buffy flinched at the sound and wrapped her arms tighter around herself.

Spike watched silently as she trudged through the sewers, her petite form seeming impossibly smaller in the darkness. A shiver ran down her spine as her jumbled thoughts threatened to undo her fragile control.

The solid weight of soft leather settled over her shoulders, jarring her from her depressing thoughts. She stopped in her tracks and studied the ground for a long moment. She looked up from the sewer floor to stare at her companion.

“Thanks.” She whispered, snuggling into the warmth of the coat, threading her arms through the sleeves. Spike smiled and wrapped an arm around her waist, pulling her against him. Buffy sighed and rested her meager weight against him, letting his solid for absorb some of her burden.

“Thank you.” She said again, her soft voice unnaturally loud in the stillness of the tunnels.

“You said that already, luv.” Spike murmured into her hair, his arms tightening around her waist.

“No,” Buffy said louder, pulling back to look at Spike. “Thank you for saving my mom. For getting me to the hospital in one piece.” Spike stared down into her hazel eyes.

“I’d do anything for you.” He said softly, his voice hoarse and deep.

Buffy smiled and raised on her toes to touch her lips to his. Spike gathered her against him tighter, pulling her higher against him to capture her lips more forcefully. He slid his arms under his duster in an effort to get closer to her. Buffy moaned softly as his cool hands brushed her warm flesh and wrapped her arms around his neck. Spike took full advantage of the moan and thrust his tongue into her mouth to do battle with hers.

Buffy pulled back reluctantly, her breath coming in pants. She rested her forehead against his chin, breathing deep, trying to calm her racing pulse. Spike kissed her forehead once and pulled back.

“You have an impeccable sense of timing, pet.” He smirked as he took a couple steps back, running his fingers through his hair. Buffy wobbled for a moment at the loss of his support and laughed.

“No timing and can’t even stick to my own rules.” Spike gave her a questioning look. “I tell you I need time and look, I jump you not once but twice.” Spike chuckled and took a step closer to her.

“Really not complaining here, pet.” Buffy laughed.

“I really make things hard for you don’t I.” Buffy said, more of a statement than a question. Spike took another step closer, the barest breath between them now.

“You have no idea.” He said in a low, deep voice, his smirk firmly in place.

“I think I might.” Buffy replied, pressing her body against his, delighting in his hard lines. Spike took in a hissing breath and grabbed her arms.

“But not really what I was talking about.” Buffy pulled from his grasp and continued down the tunnel. “I am a real bitch sometimes.”

“Sometimes.” Spike scoffed as her jogged to catch up. “You can be a right bitch, luv.” Buffy glared at him.

“Talk like that won’t get you anywhere but a dust end there, Spikey.”

“Didn’t know I was getting anywhere there, Goldylocks.” He tugged at an errant lock, smirk still on his lips. A chill went through her at his words.

“Just think Spike.” Buffy said, a small smile playing on her lips. “Just you and me in a house, alone, no distractions.” Spike grabbed Buffy’s arm and turned her towards him.

“’S’not nice to tease the vamp, luv.” His eyes bore into hers, searching their depths.

“Maybe I’m not teasing.” Buffy pulled from his grasp again and resumed her fast pace down the sewer tunnel. Spike stared after her in shock. His whispered words brought a smile to her lips, and several naughty images to mind, as they echoed softly against the dirty walls.

“Well I’ll be buggered!”

***Keep an eye out for a new story. This one totally AU, coming soon to a fanfic archive near you.***