***Chapter 27***Never Leave***

‘He loves me?’

Buffy laid on her bed, the still form of the bleached vampire wrapped around her, warming his cool skin to match hers. She stared into the darkness of the room, unable to fall asleep.

‘He loves me.’

Not that it was really a normal time for her to be sleeping, being all of nine o’clock. The thick blankets still covered the window, as she had never gotten around to taking them down when Spike moved into the basement.

‘Spike, William the Great and Bloody, loves me?’

The air was still and silent. The soft brush of her breath the only sounds. Buffy shifted in the confines of his arms, shifting his body away from hers. Spike mumbled and pulled her closer to him, his hand coming up to cup her bare breast. The familiar tingle began low in her stomach, radiating heat to the other parts of her body.

‘Spike loves me.’

Buffy moved his hand from her heated flesh, easing his arm off of her, to slide off the bed. She turned to look at the sleeping vampire sprawled across the mattress, the thin material of the sheet wrapped around his waist, baring his back to her gaze.

He looked so innocent in sleep, his hair tousled from her fingers, freeing the silky strands into the natural curls. Thin red marks marred the perfection of his marble skin, causing Buffy to blush as she remembered running her fingernails over the cool perfection of his muscled back, her fingers digging into his flesh as he moved against her.

Spike shifted on the bed restlessly, pulling the pillow into a tight embrace, breathing deep, before a soft sigh escaped his lips and he once again fell into slumber.

‘He loves me!’

Her mental voice took on a sense of awe as his words penetrated her stubborn mind. A look of fear crossed her face and she backed from the room, grabbing her robe from the back of the door and closing it softly behind her. She slid the soft terrycloth over her chilled skin and made her way downstairs. She wrapped her arms around herself, her body starting to shake.

The phone rang just as she entered the kitchen. She grabbed it from its cradle before the first ring had finished. She kept her voice soft, afraid to awaken the vampire in her bed.

“Buffy? Why are you whispering?” Dawn’s voice was unnaturally loud in the silent kitchen. “Don’t tell me. I bet you have an incredibly hot naked vampire sleeping in your bed.” Buffy felt herself flush at the thought.

“N-no, of course not, what makes you think that?”

“Jeez, Buff, take it easy.” Dawn laughed. “Like you would anyway. Unless Angel was back in town. I mean, like you would ever go for a guy like Spike.”

“What’s wrong with Spike?” Buffy asked indignantly.

“Nothing. He’s great. You just don’t seem to notice that’s all.” Dawn said pointedly. “I mean, he’s a total hottie and so totally in love with you. But you-”

“Ok, that’s enough Dawn.” Buffy rolled her eyes at her sister.

“Is mom there, I need to ask her if she can bring over my new CD. I forgot it a-” Buffy grew pale, her heart skipped a beat at her sisters words, blocking of the rest of her sentence.

“Buffy? Is something wrong? Did something happen?” Dawn’s concerned voice brought Buffy back from her shock.

“Everything is fine, Dawnie, there was just some complications. The doctor wanted to keep her overnight for observation.”

“Buffy. What happened!” Buffy cringed at the frantic note in her sisters voice.

“Calm down. She felt a little dizzy and passed out. Spike called the ambulance and they took her in for tests. There was just some clotting from the surgery but-” Buffy broke off, her face growing paler as understanding dawned on her dismayed features.

“But she is ok right. She will be ok right, Buffy.”

“Yes.” Buffy said forcefully. “Mom will be home tomorrow or the next day. She will be fine. We can go see her tomorrow afternoon if you like.”

“Of course I want to visit. That’s two now you know.”

“What? Two what?” Buffy asked perplexed.

“That’s two members of this family that Spike has saved now. For an evil, soulless vampire he sure isn’t doing his job very well.”

“No he’s not is he.” Buffy didn’t hear her sisters answer, nor did she register when she had hung up. Buffy stood holding the phone, the steady drone of the dial tone, unvarying in her ear. She was so lost in thought that she didn’t hear the jean clad vampire enter the room and remove the phone from her hand.

“Luv, are you alright.” Spike pulled Buffy towards him, his hands on her shoulders. “Has something happened with your mum?” Spike’s concerned words broke her from her stupor.

“No.” Buffy replied, pulling from his grasp and turning away from him. “It was just Dawn.” She moved to the fridge and pulled out the juice, grabbing a glass from the cupboard as she went. “I told her what happened. We are going to go visit mom tomorrow.”

“Well that’s good then. The Nibblet staying with her mate tonight still?” Spike watched as Buffy moved around the kitchen nervously, pouring herself juice then setting it on the counter, forgotten as she moved onto another task to keep herself busy. “So what’s wrong then?”

“Wrong? What makes you think something is wrong?” Her voice sounded unnaturally shrill even to her own ears.

“Buffy.” Spike moved towards her and watched as she skittered the other way, avoiding his touch. “Buffy!” His tone held a note of exasperation but his touch was light as he grasped her arm and pulled her close enough to him to slide his arms around her waist.

“I know you, luv. You’re avoiding. Now tell me what’s wrong.” Spike smiled down softly at her upraised face.

“It wasn’t not serious was it?” Buffy’s voice was low as she tried to hide her face in his chest.

“Luv, as cute as those double negatives are, I really have no idea what your talking about.” Spike’s chuckle sent chills down Buffy’s spine.

“Mom. It wasn’t not-, I mean, it was serious wasn’t it.” Buffy felt herself grow cold as Spike’s face gave her the answer. “And they told you and not me.” Buffy pulled herself forcefully from his grasp. “You bastard.”

“Now Buffy, luv. They didn’t tell me anything.”

“Then how do you know? Why didn’t you tell me!” Buffy spat out as she wrapped her arms around her shaking form, pulling herself farther away from the vampire.

“Buffy.” Spike pleaded, moving closer to her, only to have her back away. “Damn it, Slayer!” Spike grabbed her arm and pulled her forcefully towards him, gripping her struggling form in his strong arms. Buffy tried in vain to escape, only to find herself trapped even more.

“Let go, you’re hurting me.” Buffy pleaded, tears running down her face.

“No I’m not.” And he wasn’t, Buffy realized, as his chip never fired. “Listen to me. Just listen to me , luv. Your mum will be fine. She is a strong lady. She just didn’t want to worry you with pointless facts when she will be fine.” He continued to whisper reassurances into her hair.

Buffy’s struggles lessened, her sobs quieting, before she sagged into his arms. Spike slid his hand under her knees and swung her into his arms. Buffy barely noticed as he strode quickly through the house to her bedroom. He tried to lay her on her bed, but her grip around his neck was too tight for him to break.

“Don’t leave me.” He heard her whisper against his neck.

“Never.” Spike replied as he helped her out of her robe, tossing it and his jeans into the corner, before sliding into bed beside her. “I will never leave you, Buffy.”

Buffy sighed contently, snuggling into his side, pulling his cool flesh into closer contact with her burning skin.

“Good.” Her whispered words were barely heard, but filled his unbeating heart with hope.