Chapter 32 *****Explanations, Again*****

Buffy watched in amusement as her vampire tried in vain to explain, yet again, about the body switch.

‘My Vampire?’ Buffy’s eyes widened in shock as her internal thoughts registered. ‘How did I get myself into this? He’s a vampire without a soul. If he didn’t have that chip-’Buffy blinked, her train of thought derailing. ‘What would he do without that chip? Can I trust him not to turn evil? ’ Buffy shook her head. ‘He’s still evil, just on a leash. But why doesn’t he try to kill us. The chip doesn’t stop him from planting a bomb, or setting a fire, or having his minions kill us or-’Buffy’s thoughts continued to run in circles over the many ways that Spike could overcome the chip and kill them all. She gazed at the blonde vampire, her eyes picking up on the exasperation in his entire body as he continued the explanation about the hell Goddess.

‘Why am I still fixated on this?!’ Buffy asked herself. ‘Why can’t I just let this-’

“Slayer!” Buffy blinked and caught Spike staring back at her, a familiar smirk on his lips.

“What?” Spike shook his head and gestured to the assembled group.

“Maybe you’d like to explain to your mates about the hell bitch.” Spike hopped up on the counter.

“What about her?” Buffy asked, her features schooled in an image of innocence.

“Wha-” Spike sputtered, his expression incredulous.

“You know! Ben is Glory.”

“You mean. . . Ben’s with Glory?” Willow asked with a frown.

“With in what sense?” Xander asked, sending a curious glance at the blonde vampire.

“They’re working together?” Anya asked as she swatted Spike from his perch so close to the money.

“No. No. Ben is Glory. Glory’s Ben. They’re one and the same.” Spike said slowly, as if to small children. He watched as Buffy got up from her chair and disappeared into the training room, his body already aching from the loss of her presence.

“When did all this happen?” Anya asked, moving around the counter to take a seat at Xander’s side.

“Not one hour ago. At the hospital. Bit here was talking to Dr. Dogood, he turned into Glory from what I can sus out and pfft!” Spike waived his arms about for emphasis. “Off she went with Dawn. Before you know it, Dawn’s back with Benji in tow. How else would she’ve escaped the Hell Bitch other that the body switch.”

“But why don’t I remember?” Dawn asked, her face clouded with confusion.

“The spell.” Spike explained, his normal mocking tone softening for the teen.

“So,” Willow said slowly, trying to wrap her mind around the thought. “Ben and glory. . .”She paused and shared a look with the blonde witch on her right.” Are the same person?”

“Glory can turn into Ben?” Xander asked, understands dawning across his features. “And Ben turns back into Glory.”

“And anyone who sees it instantly forgets.” Anya stated, an accomplished grin on her lips.

“Yes!” Spike yelled in triumph. “Finally!”

“Excellent!” Giles exclaimed, jumping to his feet to retrieve a book fro the shelves on his left.

Buffy re-entered the room, a large poster board in her hands. Giles watched her make her way towards the ecstatic vampire, an indulgent smile on her lips.

“Now. Do we suspect there may be some kind of connection between Ben and Glory?” Giles asked as he flipped through the book in his hands, pointedly ignoring the sparks between the two former mortal enemies.

Spike threw up his hands in disgust with a frustrated growl. A giggle stopped his rage before it could fully start. Slowly, Spike turned to see Buffy leaning against the counter, an amused grin on her lips she tried in vain to hide.

“What are you giggling about, Slayer?” Buffy tried unsuccessfully to hide the grin. A wave of heat flashed through her body as Spike’s eyes flashed gold. He stalked towards her, his intense gaze never leaving hers.

“Slayer.” Spike growled warningly, coming to stop a hairs breadth from her body.

“Vampire.” Buffy retorted, standing up straight, her gaze unwavering. The pair stood nose to nose neither able to look away. Buffy saw Spike’s eyes darken as a wave of heat pulsed under her skin. Spike licked his lips as the scent of Buffy’s arousal flooded his senses, narrowing his focus to the blonde woman standing so close to him. Buffy sighed, her warm breath caressing Spike’s skin causing him to shudder with increased arousal.

“Ahem.” Buffy broke her stare, an embarrassed flush crossing her features as she noticed her friends witnessing the heated exchange.

“Here.” She said, thrusting the poster board into Spike’s hands. “Let’s get back to the matter at hand.”

Spike’s amused gaze followed Buffy as she took a seat at the table, before dropping to the paper in his hands. In dark red letters it read:

Ben = Glory
Glory = Ben
Ben + Glory = Sharing a Body + Forget Spell
Trust Me Buffy

Spike shook his head in amusement and propped the sign up against the cash register, snagging a chair from the table to straddle.

“So when did this all happen?” Xander questioned as he waved a hand in the direction of the sign.

“Forget about it, Xander.” Buffy said absently. “The real problem is this forgetting spell. How are we supposed to beat Glory if we can’t remember something this important.”

“Ohh! I know a spell that can uncloud our minds.” Willow exclaimed excitedly, before a flash of doubt covered her pretty features. “Or it could explode our minds, but I’m getting good at this and with Tara’s help we can do this.” Tara placed a hand over Willow’s, giving her a reassuring gaze.

“I have complete faith in you.” Buffy said, smiling at the witches. “You two get cracking on the spell, the rest of us will figure out how to kill Glory.”

“Maybe you should test out that there spell first.” Spike offered. “Don’t fancy you all exploding.”

“You volunteering?” Xander asked, his tone just a little too eager.

“I’m not the one with the memory problems.” Spike snorted. “Figured they could do it on you first, no great loss if you exploded.”

“Hey!” Xander protest before being cut off by an amused Slayer.

“Cut it out you two. There will be exploding of any heads.” Buffy blushed at the smirk Spike flashed her. “We have to figure out how to kill Glory.”

“Suffice it to say, if Glory and Ben share a body, it only goes to say that if we kill Ben, Glory dies as well.” Giles pointed out.

“We don’t kill humans Giles.” Buffy said furiously. “Or have you forgotten.”

“We can’t be sure that Ben is human. I was able to hurt him.” Spike joined in. “Besides, who says killing Glory won’t kill Ben.”

“Can’t we separate them or something?” Buffy asked, turning to the witches.

“No.” Tara exclaimed before lowering her head in embarrassment at her outburst.

“She’s right.” Willow said simply. “If Spike can hit him that means the essence of the hell goddess has merged with his. Separating would kill him for sure and let Glory free of her human body.”

“No guessing how powerful she could become without the restrictions of a human body.” Giles marvelled.

Buffy sighed and ran a weary hand through her hair.

“Then what can w-” Buffy broke off as she saw Spike cock his head and half rise from his chair.

“What’s wron-” Spike lifted a hand for silence turning his attention to the front door. Buffy heard a muffled curse and watched with bated breath as the locked handle of the door jiggled. The group sat silent and waited as the sounds outside ceased. Buffy turned back to her friends just as the door to the Magic Box flew off its hinges with an ear-splitting crash.

Next Chapter *****You Lose*****

Most of the dialogue was taken from the show. Scene and person speaking has changed but yes, some of dialogue not mine, but hey, characters aren’t mine either. But really Mr. Big Joss Man. I’m just borrowing. You can have them back . . .eventually.

Oh and review please people, tell me if this is getting too tedious or my spelling really sucks. Anything.