Chapter 33 *****You Lose*****

The door flew open with a crash of wood and chimes. All eyes stared in shock and varying levels of fear as a blonde woman sauntered through the broken doorway.

Buffy leapt to her feet to stand between the hell god and her family, Spike a step behind her.

“No need to stand on ceremony with me.” Glory drawled lazily as she stopped at the top of the steps, her minions fanning out behind her. “In fact I’d much prefer you people on your knees.”

“Glory!” Xander half whispered.

“Smart boy you have there, Slayer.” Glory said snarkily.

Buffy stood speechless, her eyes trained on the woman, her gaze barely registering the ill fitting jeans and men’s shirt that encased the hell goddess. Behind her, Buffy felt Anya, Willow and Tara move to stand on either side of Dawn, Xander and Giles moved to stand behind the Slayer and Vampire.

“Oh, the humans want to play too!” Glory cooed. “Funny thing happened when I woke up today.” Glory said conversationally, taking two leisurely steps closer to her prey. “What do I find when I open my gorgeous eyes but my exalted self encased in disgusting polyester blend cloths and sitting in Benny boy’s pathetic excuse for a car in the middle of rush hour traffic.”

“Looks like the git took your advice, slayer.” Spike smirked.

“I wasn’t done speaking.” Glory snapped, fury clouding her features. “Really Slayer, you should get better control of your boyfriend.” Buffy shifted uncomfortably under Glory’s penetrating gaze.

“He’s not her boyfriend.” Xander offered naively. Buffy could feel Spike stiffen beside her and she ached to reassure him of her as of yet unrealized, newly awakening feeling but she could not remove her focus from the threat to her sister.

“Is he always this naïve?” Glory laughed clasping her hands together in amusement before levelling Xander with a pitying gaze.

“I hate to. . .”she paused, a thoughtful expression on her face. “Actually, no, I take that back. I take great pleasure in telling you just how wrong you are. They reek of each other. His smell is all over her. Gods, how she could let something so impure touch her-” Glory shuddered in revulsion, unable to finish her explanation.

Buffy gritted her teeth and ignored the sputtering sounds of protest that Xander continued to utter until Giles silenced him with a firm grip to his arm. Giles watched the exchanged with an openly amused expression.

“Well, well. Dissention in the ranks, and lying to your friends.” Glory shook her head with mock reproach. “Really Slayer, what have you been up to and where in the hell do you four think you’re going hmm?” Willow, Dawn, Tara, and Anya froze in their attempt at escape. The four turned and faced Glory and her minions, matching expressions of fear on their faces.

“I was talking.” Glory yelled her irritation at a front. “I am a God, you will obey. Boys-” With a snap of her fingers a crowd of minions made their way towards the retreating women.

Spike reacted first, shifting into game face. Black leather flashed around him as he delivered a round house kick, knocking over two of the advancing minions. Buffy was a step behind as she twisted around on underling, backhanding it to the ground with a fast left, her right snatching up a near by sword to stab a second through the chest. The fight was on.

The group had barely a moment to think before the fight was over. With one last flourishing swish of her sword, Buffy removed the head of the creature in front of her. The head flew through the air almost in slow motion to land in Glory’s hands. Her eyes widened in out rage.

“EWW!” Glory screeched, dropping the head to her feet, her hands covered in the dead creature’s blood. “You got blood on my brand new manicure!” Glory took two enraged steps forward coming to stand at the bottom of the steps. “And you killed my minions.”

In a blur of movement Buffy flew across the room to land in an unconscious lump beside the cash register, taking Xander with her to soften her landing. Spike was quick to follow, taking out Giles as he went.

“That BITCH!” Glory spat with a crack of her neck. Enraged eyes trained themselves on the remaining Scoobies.

Willow and Tara stepped in front of Dawn, the pair muttering a quick protection spell. Glory sighed and sauntered towards the women.

“Silly witches.” Glory said with a shake of her head as she came to stand before them. A flick of her wrists broke the forming barrier and had the Wiccans flying off in separate directions. Anya grabbed Dawn’s hand and pulled the terrified teen toward the training room. The pair had barely taken two steps before they were stopped short by a restraining hand tangled in each if their hair.

“Where you going Dawnie.” Glory cooed, pulling the teen towards her and throwing Anya away in disgust. “What is with this sister of yours? Sleeping with vampires, cavorting with witches and vengeance demons. Can you slay sleeping on the job!”

Dawn’s fearful eyes fell on Glory briefly before flitting over each of her fallen protectors.

“Now are you going to tell me who the key is?” Dawn gave no response and Glory sighed. “Imagine what you'd feel with my fingers wiggling in your brain.” Dawn’s eyes grew large and a whimper escaped her trembling lips. “It doesn't kill you. What it does ... is make you feel like you're in a noisy little dark room. . .” Glory stopped, a frown crossing her lips as she fidgets uncomfortably. “You’re naked and ashamed . . . and there are things in the dark that need to hurt you because you're bad . . . little pinching things that go in your ears. . .” Dawn started to shake, silent tears coursing down her cheeks. “And crawl on the inside of your skull. And you know . . . that if the noise and the crawling would stop . . . that you could remember how to get out.” Glory’s voice grew louder as the memories assaulted her, a far off look in her eyes. A quick shake of her head and she was back.

“But you never, ever will.”

Buffy blinked awake, her gaze finding her sister instantly. She watched in horror as Glory placed her long fingers against Dawns temples. A heart beat passed before Glory slid her fingers deep within Dawns head. The teens eyes rolled back ad her mouth opened wide in a silent scream as a pure green light enveloped her body. Glory staggered back in shock.

Buffy lurched to her feet and watched helplessly as a maniacal grin broke over Glory’s face. In a blink of an eye, Glory had swept Dawn up in her arms and they were gone.

Buffy stared in shock at the last point she saw her sister. Around her the Scoobies slowly made their way to their feet.

She’s gone.” Buffy whispered as Spike came to stand behind her. He placed his hand on her arm in sympathy. Buffy turned and gazed a Spike, her eyes bright with tears.

“Slayer?” A lone tear traveled down her cheek.

“I lost her. “Buffy whispered before she collapsed. Spike caught her as she fell, lowering her softly to the ground and laying her as comfortably as he could. The gang watched in shock as Spike whipped off is beloved duster and bundled in beneath Buffy’s head, her hand gripped tightly in his immediately after finishing the task.

“Buffy, luv, wake up.” Spike said softy as he gently patted cheek to rouse her. “Come on luv, come on. That’s it.” Spike gave a relieved smile as Buffy’s eyes fluttered open.

Next Chapter *****Do You See It?*****

Some of the dialogue was taken from the show. Scene and person speaking has changed but yes, some of dialogue not mine, but hey, characters aren’t mine either. But really Mr. Big Joss Man. I’m just borrowing. You can have them back . . . Eventually . . . someday. . .