Chapter 34 *****Do You See It?*****

Empty. The only word that could remotely describe the look in her eyes was empty. A gaze normally filled with emotion, mirth. . . pain. . . love. . .that little sparkle she got every time she argued with him. It was all gone. Bright hazel reduced to a pale grey, staring sightlessly. Focusing on a point beyond even his enhanced senses. Her chest moved rhythmically, her breath even and constant. Her heart beat strong and steady, her body calm in the relaxed state of sleep. Except for her eyes.

He would give anything to see the spark that normally filled her gaze the moment she woke, and didn’t smoulder out until she collapsed exhausted into sleep.

He would give up all that he had gained -- the taste of her on his lips, the feel of her skin against his, her trust -- just to see her eyes burn holes into his skull as her mouth twisted in humourless insults. At least then she would be alive.

No amount of wishing, no amount of prayer to a God he had forsaken over a century ago brought her from her oblivion. The movements around him, the concerned voices, nothing broke through his complete concentration on the woman before him. She was his world. His reason for breathing, for living a life he had no right to be living. It all meant nothing unless she was living as well.

Nothing swayed his attention until a hand crossed his vision, reaching for the fallen slayer. Spike’s features shifted into his demon visage, a menacing growl rumbling through his frame.

“Mine!” Spike snapped causing a startled Willow to snatch back her hand. At the fearful look in her eyes, Spike loosened his grip on the slayer and shifted back to give the redheaded witch a sheepish smile, his blue eyes unbelievably sad.

“What is your problem dead boy?!” Xander spat out, taking a step closer to the vampire.

“He’s protecting his mate.” Anya said simply, pulling a protesting Xander back.

“MATE?” Xander squeaked, getting a glare from the watcher. Spike’s eyes flashed gold as Giles knelt beside his slayer. Reluctantly, Spike sat back and let the watcher look over Buffy.

“Her heart rate’s strong and there is no problem with her breathing.” Spike said quietly as Willow and Tara joined them on the floor, the red headed witch casting an apprehensive glace at Spike. “She’s
fine.”

“How do you know that, Spike?” Xander asked scornfully. Spike jumped to his feet, stopping inches from the startled man’s face.

“I’m a vampire you git.” He growled, his face shifting from demon to man in the blink of an eye. “Or have you forgotten that little fact?” With a sniff of distaste, Spike returned to his place at his slayer’s side.

“She is fine physically.” Giles said quietly. “But emotionally she’s a wreck. She has retreated inside herself. The loss of her sister on top of everything-” Giles broke off, his eyes lowered.

“There is a spell we can do.” Willow timidly offered. “To connect with the inner Buffy.”

“We should get her home.” Giles said. “It might be better if she was surrounded by familiar things.” Spike nodded once and gathered the slayer tightly in his arms.

“Car?” Giles jumped at Spike’s word and grabbed his keys, Willow and Tara following after them into the night, leaving Anya and Xander to lock up shop and follow in their car.

The ride to the Summers’ house was made in silence. Spike sat in the back with Buffy cuddled in his lap, Tara sitting beside him. Willow sat rigid in her seat, the presence of the vampire behind her causing her unease. Giles noticed the witch’s discomfort and placed a reassuring hand on hers.

The group reached the house in record time. Spike waited impatiently as Willow opened the car door and shifted the seat out of his way. She quickly opened the front door and preceded the group to Buffy’s room.

Willow couldn’t help but notice the disarray the bed was in. With quick movements she put the blankets to rights and watched as Spike gently set Buffy on the bed, propping her up against the pillows.

“I’ll call you when I’m done.” Willow stated, seating herself before the unresponsive slayer. Spike started to protest but Willow’s expression brook no further argument. With a terse nod he strode from the room, brushing past Giles who stood in the doorway. Giles gave Willow a reassuring smile and shut the door behind him. Willow heaved a sigh of resignation and turned to the task at hand, willing her mind to meld with that of her fallen friend.

Next Chapter *****Lost in Your Mind*****

As you know, if I get numerous reviews here and on my live journal I might be persuaded to write and post the next chapter all that much faster. *hint hint*